Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,036 members, 7,841,937 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (95350 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 6:20pm On Jun 10, 2010
Night Game- Christine Feehan
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 10, 2010
Bones of Faerie
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bgees(m): 6:27pm On Jun 10, 2010
I want to read Frederick Forsythe's latest book , Cobra.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by daylae(m): 10:48am On Jun 11, 2010
Reading 'profile in audacity' by alan axelrod.
Talks about great historical decision,and how they were made,even in a most precarious of situation.
Julius caesar(the rubicon factor)
Cleopatra and the romans(the decision to save egypt)
Elezabeth 1 and the spanish armanda(the decision to save the nation)
Beethoven and deafness(the decision to overcome)
Edmund hillary and everest(the decision to conquer) etc. .

A great decision always has two characteristics. First,it is a choice between or among high-stakes alternatives. Second,it is a decision that must be made,that cannot be avoided. As Harry S. Truman once observed,"presidents have to make decisions if they're going to get anywhere,and those presidents who couldn't make decisions are the ones who caused all the trouble."
He believed that if a president made wise decision,that was "good for the country," and if he made an unwise one,"that is too bad"-but it was still much better than failing to make any decision at all.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Moyola(f): 10:10pm On Jun 14, 2010
Ties that Bind. . . m luvvin it!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by maedan(f): 11:45pm On Jun 14, 2010
Just finished with the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Starting on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which I read before ages ago. Mark Twain is definitely one of my favourite authors. Keep laughing my head off and get pple staring tongue.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ndipe(m): 12:38am On Jun 15, 2010
Look Again by Lisa Scottoline. Fascinating story about a woman who harbors suspicions that her adopted son may have been abducted from his biological parents.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by enomakos(m): 12:59pm On Jun 15, 2010
if you want to be rich and happy do not go to school by robert kiyosaki

I've read this book 3 times, and I enjoyed it more every time. This is not a book about "bashing" the educational system. After all, it was written by a teacher. This is Kiyosaki's first book. His subsequent books "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" "Cashflow Quadrant" have gone on to best seller status. "Rich Dad's Guide to Investing" will probably too.
What this book confirmed for me is what I suspected all along. Our educational system is designed as a giant employment training agency. Schools don't teach our children how to cope in life and to take care of themselves. Schools are designed to produce good employees. Sounds almost like a conspiracy theory doesn't it? Think about it. Why do people strive to get good grades in school? To get into a good college. Why do people want to go to a good college or any college? To get a good "education" which really translates into a good job.

I found the author's talk about grades to be very eye opening. After all, we place kids in different ranks. Some kids are dumb and some are smart. They all can't get A's in school, so we create the "Bell Curve" to make it look good. We have to flunk a certain number of kids in order to make the smart ones appear smart. After all a "smart" kid is only smart in comparison to all the other kids who are "dumb." The kid who graduates at the top of the class does so because he/she is "better" or "smarter" than the kids who rank lower. This book presents a really sad look at our educational system, and I think many bureaucrats in the educational system resent it. I hope it wakes them up.

If you're involved in the educational system, you owe it to yourself to give this book at least a good read or two. If you never liked school like I did, you'll love this book. I felt a sense of validation after reading it. It's not a put down of education per se as much as our school system. People who are "educated" aren't necessarily poor, they've just been trained in the wrong way. I don't expect the bureaucrats to change anything as a result of this book. Too many people have too many entrenched interests to change the system.

I'm giving this book 5 stars for its courage and originality. Kiyosaki laid it all out on the line. Many people will disagree with the premise of the book, and those are the people who profit by keeping our schools mediocre. As the author points out, we need to teach our kids to be independent and self-sufficient. Our school system doesn't do that. I wonder how many "dumb" kids never made it in life because of their school experience. Have you ever noticed how many famous wealthy people never completed school? Think about that.

www.richdad-books..com
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 10:38pm On Jun 15, 2010
Finishing up Conspiracy Game and starting on Deadly Game by Christine Feehan
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:59pm On Jun 16, 2010
[size=13pt]After reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn , I realized that I had absolutely nothing to say about it. And yet here, as you see, I have elected to say it anyway, and at great length.

Reading this novel now, at the age of mumble-mumble cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, is a bit like arriving at the circus after the tents have been packed, the bearded lady has been depilated, and the funnel cake trailers have been hitched to pick-up trucks and captained, like a formidable vending armada, toward the auburn sunset. All the fun has already been used up, and I’m left behind circumnavigating the islands of elephant dung and getting drunk on Robitussin®. Same story, different day.  grin wink[/sup]
[/size]

maedan:

Just finished with the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Starting on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which I read before ages ago. Mark Twain is definitely one of my favourite authors. Keep laughing my head off and get pple staring tongue.

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 5:08pm On Jun 16, 2010
Point of impact by Stephen hunter
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:04pm On Jun 16, 2010
The Poison Wood Bible, interesting.

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by maedan(f): 6:25pm On Jun 16, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]After reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn , I realized that I had absolutely nothing to say about it. And yet here, as you see, I have elected to say it anyway, and at great length.

Reading this novel now, at the age of mumble-mumble cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, is a bit like arriving at the circus after the tents have been packed, the bearded lady has been depilated, and the funnel cake trailers have been hitched to pick-up trucks and captained, like a formidable vending armada, toward the auburn sunset. All the fun has already been used up, and I’m left behind circumnavigating the islands of elephant dung and getting drunk on Robitussin®. Same story, different day.  grin wink[/sup]
[/size]

Ogaga!!!!! What are u on about? Are you reading the book or not? Where did you get this quote from anyway? Can't make head or tail of it!!!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 11:42pm On Jun 16, 2010
Predatory Game by Christine Feehan
&
100 Love Sonnets/ Cien Sonetos de Amor by Pablo Neruda (I'm not really that into poetry, but I borrowed this a few years ago from a friend, then semi-stole (with permission o, I'm not that kind of thief) it because it was soooo good, but then felt bad/guilty and so returned it. Finally got my own copy. Definitely my favourite book of poetry. I mean who can resist verses like:

I don't have enough time to celebrate your hair
One by one I should detail your hairs and praise them
Other lovers want to live with particular eyes;
I only want to be your stylist

or

Of all the stars I admired, drenched
in various rivers and mists
I chose only the one I love.
Since then I sleep with the night.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 10:45pm On Jun 17, 2010
Murder Game- Christine Feehan
&
100 Love Sonnets/ Cien Sonetos de Amor by Pablo Neruda
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by ravenzord(m): 9:26am On Jun 18, 2010
David Baldacci's The Collectors
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2010
Blind sight by Robin Cook
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2010
The millionaire next door
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by 28Schweet(f): 11:12am On Jun 22, 2010
Dave Pelzer - Moving Forward (taking the lead in your life),
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by slap1(m): 12:35pm On Jun 29, 2010
TURNING ANGEL by Greg Iles, so far, so good.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2010
[size=13pt]Yeah--- i have read the book , don't know which of the quote you're talking about. . . . did you mean my previous respond? [/size]

maedan:

Ogaga!!!!! What are u on about? Are you reading the book or not? Where did you get this quote from anyway? Can't make head or tail of it!!!

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2010
blindsight- Dr Robin Cook
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by daylae(m): 1:38am On Jun 30, 2010
John case -'The genesis code'. Had to read it again after four years. Quite an exciting book!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Moyola(f): 10:41pm On Jun 30, 2010
Eternally Yours! cool
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by chiogo(f): 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2010
The Good guy by Dean Koontz.

Started reading last summer, didn't finish, now started all over again. lol
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 11:56pm On Jun 30, 2010
no buk 4 naw just want to make a shout to my frend; my mistress, ogaga, semid, bluespices, ruudie and etal, grin grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tpiah: 12:44am On Jul 01, 2010
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 1:00am On Jul 01, 2010
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:54pm On Jul 01, 2010
[size=13pt]That's my man. . . .!! abeg , nothing do you jare.! wink[/size]

adebayo201:

no buk 4 naw just want to make a shout to my frend; my mistress, ogaga, semid, bluespices, ruudie and etal, grin grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 6:02pm On Jul 01, 2010
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Tatase(f): 6:39pm On Jul 01, 2010
Wild Rain- Christine Feehan
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 01, 2010
The History of Nigeria - Toyin Falola

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (100)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / A Story: Broken Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.