Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? (31254 Views)

Most Dangerous Places To Live In London Online Poll,Peckham No 1 / Coming To South East London(peckham)help Needed / Little Lagos In South London( Peckham) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Orilee9ice(m): 12:35pm On Nov 19, 2009
@BLAKNIGHT
dont mind him jare, i was going to add that maybe the wealth he was bragging about paa paa was ill-gotten as he claims to be neighbours with "you know who whose wife has died or is dying" we all know where THAT ONE'S wealth came from, angry so maybe they are all birds of the same feathers, judging by his utterances i wouldnt put it pass him sef, let him bring his yeye mouth here again , i am ready 4 him, i dont usally do this but the idiot is just annoying me, making me spoil my good PR SEF, wink

@ all who will be reading this (apart from him of course, )
I am sorry if i offended anyone with my rantings, but this guy needed to be put in his place and i am very good at that,
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
This thread has gotten even more interesting! wink

*Subscribed.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Orilee9ice(m): 12:46pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ SIENA, abi oh, at least its giving u something to laugh about, cheesy cheesy grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
PADDY you deranged Idiot!

I said post pics of Lagos that could be mistaken for London. What part of that didn't you understand  All the pics you posted are clearly of Nigeria and look nothing like London and this proves my initial point. London is nothing like Nigeria and vice versa.

For the record I never said that the UK was better than Nigeria but you have obviously been exposed by your insecurities by trying to start a UK vs Nigeria argument with yourself. Carry on pulling your hair out trying to prove your basless $shit.  grin grin. Everyone knows that it is those who shout the loudest over nothing that have the most to hide.

And by the way who is 'AngieHoe'? Your mother?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by paddylo1(m): 1:16pm On Nov 19, 2009
PADDY you deranged Idiot!

Mad woman,u done walking the streets n sucking di*ck in san diego? it should be about 4am over there,why dont u go back to doing what u know how to do best,sucking the white mans di*ck for $20,GTFOH

when u save enough moneyafter 20yrs of streetwalking in america,maybe u can go price a plot of land in lugbe ABUJA

anu-ofia,

u are a disgrace to womanhood,and i spit in your face
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 1:19pm On Nov 19, 2009
@PADDY, Yeah thats right I am walking the streets at 4am in the morning with your mother. I am pimping that bytch hard but she better work that tired kitten of hers because I want my money. grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by paddylo1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
@PADDY, Yeah thats right I am walking the streets at 4am in the morning with your mother. I am pimping that bytch hard but she better work that tired kitten of hers because I want my money.

if u dont retract your statement and apologize immediately,whatever befalls u in life u would have put on your own head

My mum is in Nigeria and u dont know her,but what i do know is that insults directed at old people 4 no reason,where am from usually leads to some form of catastrophe

i leave u to your own devices
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2009
Paddy, calm down. Why are you trading insults with Angie? She's a youngster!

She's very passionate about things, you're just getting too angry.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2009
@Siena

Youngster? Ok, lol!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Orilee9ice(m): 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ Angie and Paddy, o gaaaa o, see what 9ja has caused now, this is getting more and more interesting like Siena said earlier, i am defn watching this space, i have not stopped laughing my head off.  grin grin cheesy well until that Ali-Cat -crumb-cake comes back on,  angry angry
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 1:45pm On Nov 19, 2009
Orilee9ice:

@ Angie and Paddy, o gaaaa o, see what 9ja has caused now, this is getting more and more interesting like Siena said earlier, i am defn watching this space, i have not stopped laughing my head off. grin grin cheesy well until that Ali-Cat -crumb-cake comes back on, angry angry

You know the party is always in whichever thread I chose to contribute to, lol.

Help yourself to a drink at the bar and Enjoy! cheesy

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Orilee9ice(m): 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2009
smiley @ Angie, I am enjoying it o jare and laughing , keep it going , Ori won o' fonka sibe jare,  to ba yankee waa baa waa n'be, to ba dee jandi, wa baa wa n'be, Ori won o'fonka sibe, , i feel u jare

awon olori buruku, Olorun majeeee ooooooooooooo!!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by paddylo1(m): 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2009
Paddy, calm down. Why are you trading insults with Angie? She's a youngster!

Youngster?

where am from they say "what a old man sees while sitting down a young person cannot see while standing on top of a hill"

so if u think being a youngster will excuse her from receiving her judgement,(and trust me it will surely befall her),then u are sadly mistaken

i take my leave of this thread,u guys carry on with the chucking and jiving
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Orilee9ice(m): 1:55pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ Paddy, that means u throw in di towel be dat oh, awe, wetin now, no give up like dat, its just gettin started, grin grin grin cool (all good intentions made to both parties involved) they say blessed are the peace makers.for they shall inherit the earth, wink
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Ramsky: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2009
SIENA,

i NEED TO CONTACT YOU: RE : TRUCK CONVERSION. MY EMAIL :adeotiy@yahoo.com
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ paddy lo

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2009
Ramsky:

SIENA,

i NEED TO CONTACT YOU: RE : TRUCK CONVERSION. MY EMAIL :adeotiy@yahoo.com

Will email you later in the day.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2009
AngieFan:

@Siena

Youngster? Ok, lol!

But of course!  grin

You're not old and grey yet, are you?  grin cheesy grin cheesy

paddy_lo:

Youngster?

where am from they say "what a old man sees while sitting down a young person cannot see while standing on top of a hill"

so if u think being a youngster will excuse her from receiving her judgement,(and trust me it will surely befall her),then u are sadly mistaken

i take my leave of this thread,u guys carry on with the chucking and jiving

Not making any excuses buddy, but you did get pretty hot under the collar. People are entitled to different opinions. Fora aren't meant to sway others to our own way of thinking. Some folk prefer brown, some prefer grey.

All we can do is get on, and remain friends. smiley

*Waves olive branch.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by oyinda3(f): 2:26am On Nov 21, 2009
@ SEFAGO,

I knew you were going to say that. That is why my first post was vague so as to avoid you misconstruing anything. I never said europeans were superior- I said they won the culture wars-I hope you are aware that the whole global economic order as it is now was significantly created by europeans, and contributions were made by other minorities (mostly chinese and indians). The computer you are using was brought to you courtesy of the european economic model which was as a result of the exploitative nature of europeans Grin I am a culture relativist -I hate both Afrocentrism and eurocentrism alike- believing that people evolved a culture that suited their needs. Consequently, i understand why Africans are having problems getting a handle on just 60 years what it took Europeans a 1000 years to build.

I didn't see it as being vague. saying that europeans "won the culture wars" is a very clear ethnocentric view to me. nothing vague about it. unless you don't really know what cultural relativism mean. which you seem not to.
In cultural relativism, cultures don't win over each other. they are all complex in their own ways and are bound by their own set of rules in their respective societies. a western pacific or aborigines culture is no better or worse than a northern european culture.
you are thinking ethnocentrically in saying that a culture with more material wealth is better than one without as much material wealth

you clearly don't know the definitions of afrocentrism and eurocentrism. lol. an afrocentrist believes that african cultures/ races are superior while a eurocentrist believes that european cultures are better. In this case, you are eurocentric. pls check your dictionary.
cultural relativism, on the other hand, means that you believe each culture is unique in it's own way. each has it's own set of moral and social rules that its members abide by and cannot be judged as "right" or "wrong" except if you apply your ethnocentric bias to it.
ex. saying that a culture is worse off because it's people have less material wealth means that you're applying your western capitalist view to them. In that culture, family and community might mean more to them than material wealth and therefore, they shouldn't be judged by your western capitalist view or eurocentrism.

i hope i'm clear.

The first story wasn't me by the way- none of my family shops at primark that is for poor people Cool. She was displaying cultural habits of Nigerian women, and i criticize those habits too.

lol. did you mean nigerian women or nigerians in general? are nigerian men from a different culture than the women?
and yes it is clear that you criticize the habits.

CASE IN POINT: This Peckham issue has more severe consequences. As more and more western countries, become more conservative and against immigration (as is obvious from recent European politics with racist groups winning political seats ), we would have to get our shit together. To get our shit together we need to self-reflect and become aware of our uncontested bottom position in the order of things.

if by "getthing our shit together" you mean throwing out our cultures and assimilating into western cultures, you are wrong!
Take France for example, their harsh anti-islamic immigrant policies are only causing more segregation in their communities. They are not encouraging the muslims there to try and assimilate at all. instead, it encourages the muslim population to find support among each other thereby intensifying their faiths and hold on to their home cultures. Infact, it encourages outcries and public criticism of the host group.
If they are forced however, of course they will comply but definitely not voluntarily by "self reflection" and all that garbage. ex take a fictional scenerio where there is force conversion to christianity etc in this case, the muslims/indegenous religions are not thinking that their religion is inferior or "botton position" just because they haven't developed the computer (rotflmao) instead they will do it because they are forced to.

i usually prefer to use immigration to refer human movement after World War II and also to the legal term. For obvious reasons- we could argue that everyone was an immigrants (since human movement to various geographic locations occurred for 10,000's years in tandem with evolution)so loosely using the term could lead to ambiguities. Agreed the white south Africans, as well as the french Algerians moved into african countries that they were loathe to leave. Regardless. immigration as it is used to day refers to a recent phenomena. And this immigration usually is from the third world to the first world.

very convenient definition of immigration my friend. lollol but there are lots of problems wrong with that beside the fact that you just came up with your own definition and expect me to follow that. lol way to try to win your own argument. lol grin

so what is the term you would use to describe human movement prior to WWII? I'm sure there were lots of big movements. what would you call the pilgrims who came to the US to settle. they are not immigrants according to your definition. what are they? and the Chinese who came to the US during the gold rush in the 1800s? what would you call them? they are not immigrants afterall (according to your definition )

what do you mean by the "legal term" what is the legal term of immigration?
i'm glad you mention that you are being ambiguous, so you know that you are not making sense. lol

immigration is not a recent phenomena. undecided people are always on the move. even within continents ghanians migrate to nigeria and vice versa etc. why are you trying to make immigration just a definition of third world countries? You sound like one who gets all their definitions from CNN news and TV rather than as an academic (i'm sure you're an university student. you should know better than american TV definition of immigrant i.e "the mexican"wink
lots of Americans expatriated to china to look for jobs during the recession. lots move to third world countries all the time to work (think NGOs) and they settle there to work. The movement is not a one way street.
I think you are being eurocentric again.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by oyinda3(f): 2:53am On Nov 21, 2009
a simpler way to look at it/ on a more microscopic level, is the immigration of people from rural areas or villages and towns into big cities such as Lagos. They do this for economic reasons not cultural reasons. just because more people move to lagos or urban areas doesn't mean the urban areas have a superior culture over the rural one. it just mean that lagos probably has better resources. ex jobs, infrastructure etc.
so i wouldn't say lagos culture wins over the rural ones just because people move there. in fact most people claim that the rural culture is richer etc

I hope this comparison makes it clearer.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by mevisbleek: 6:42am On Nov 21, 2009
@angiefan, were in yankee are u? lets hook up u seem like an interesting person. Lol
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by mevisbleek: 6:49am On Nov 21, 2009
pls does anyone know how i can get a Uk visa, i need to run away from naija. Pls those in london advise me. Pls if u know that u ae in naija dont advise me, i only need advise from them aje butter in uk.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by denzel2009: 6:14am On Nov 22, 2009
mevisbleek:

pls does anyone know how i can get a Uk visa, i need to run away from naija. Pls those in london advise me. Pls if u know that u ae in naija dont advise me, i only need advise from them aje butter in uk.
Its not all that rosy in UK like you think oh, thats my bit of advice.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2009
mevisbleek:

hahahahahahaha---- grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by vanatu88: 12:07am On Nov 27, 2009
Ho hum, Peckham, nice architecture, a sorry bunch of people. I'm a white doctor so don't speak any lingo but I can tell you my experience of living in Peckham for 2 years. Flat near the railway station, high street which in summer stank of ammonia (like urine) from the fish stalls, people leaving take away food wrappers on the street, despite standing a yard or two from a bin, children racing around on scooters at night, back and forth, back and forth. Your article suggests through the many comments Peckham is a hell hole and a high Nigerian quotient has something to do with it. On that I cannot comment. However walking on the high street one day, beside a fruit stall, a rasta (ie probably West Indian) deliberately bumped in to my wife (white, inoffensive, not too tall) and refused to apologise when I addressed him about his ill-mannered behaviour. For Christ's sake, the slave traded ended 100s of years ago, grow up. And stop expecting the world to apologise for your lack lustre life and inability of it to fit around your ego.

So we left Peckham. Peckham go to hell or rather stay there.

Aside from this personal gripe, what Peckham really needs is some high value jobs with apprenticeships to give the children in schools something to aim for. Now its just burger king, or cleaning the streets of the discarded takeaway wrappers. The council's art deco street lights installed 2-3 years ago are not a solution for a large scale of professional deprivation. The library, someone mentioned, hmmm. Of a 7 or so story building, 1 1/2 floors contain books. That's not a library. Where I went university, there were three large libraries, about the size of County Hall in Westminster of 7-9 floors each, all full of books and current journals in science, medicine and the arts. Peckham libray, what a joke.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by MontyNG(m): 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2009
Thanks Paddy for posting those pics! Damn I miss Nigeria!!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by riversman: 5:28am On Jan 22, 2010
yall are just bunch of lame fuuckkkkkks!!!

i was born in France and both parents are US citizens, whats so hard about that? i dont get it, my parents were not diplomats at the time, so my country of birth was were i claimed citizenship, ofcourse i have a dual citizenship, go and study on immigration okay!!!!!

all u lame wretched kids, my dad being wealthy is not my fault, was i supposed to reject my parents, sorry i have an MBA and am an engineering partner, so you all go and get a LIFE!!!!

I am made and dad's money is not mine, i kno dat
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by melidee: 11:20pm On Sep 08, 2010
So you have seen that England is not paved with gold, so instead its adump? The only thing that England wont is Workers who will pay there taxes if people were not so greedy and red eyed they would not be having to acknowledge that.

Be grateful for what one has cause England is not going to be the land of oppourtunity for everyone. You may even end up destitute.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by ada24: 7:16am On Sep 09, 2010
is peckham the whole of England gosh the ignorance of people, and when people start saying there is poverty in Nigeria everyone starts talking of VI and lekki.

I guess all the footballers and Russian millionaires should up sticks and move to Lagos abi, cos England is a dump. nonsense!!!!!

at least a poor person in their "dump" can go to hospital and get treated properly for a serious illness, i doubt the same can be said for a poor person living back home in a "dump".
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Roforofo(m): 12:53am On Sep 11, 2010
Peckham is a dump. Most Naijas and other immigrants who live there have no choice. It is one of the cheapest parts of London to live in for those who are low paid and need to commute to work. Like most ghettos in the world once you make enough money to get the hell out, you leave. There is squalor there because the people are poor. Poor people wether white or black generally live in dirtier conditions than the rich or middle class, same as comparing Ikoyi, Opebi, GRA to Ajegunle, Shangisha or Okokomaiko.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by denzel2009: 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2010
^^^^^The whole of Peckham is not just Rye lane and houses are not cheap in Peckham. Go and do your research again bro.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Moyola(f): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2010
Oooo Peckham!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. / Moving To Norway Soonest / A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.