Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? (31251 Views)

Most Dangerous Places To Live In London Online Poll,Peckham No 1 / Coming To South East London(peckham)help Needed / Little Lagos In South London( Peckham) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2009
Im surprised when Nigerians talk about England all they mention is London. Don't some of you know London is just a one of the loads of Cities in England just like Lagos is in Nigeria?

There are loads of other places - Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, etc and that's to mention the well known ones. There are still loads of other lesser known ones.

Its like most Nigerians who come to the UK only go to London and most times, only one part of London.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 12, 2009
Agreed its crowded but it is not quite the dump some posters are making it out to be.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2009
You people crack me up! The only reason why Peckham is a pig sty is because of the Nigerians who live there, not the Ghanaians, the Jamaicans or other black people…it is the Nigerians/ Most of them are illegal and as soon as they land they head for Peckham transporting all their regular habits to Peckham. These illegals live the way they do in Nigeria despite the local council’s efforts to provide regular street cleaning, free well equipped primary and secondary schools, affordable public transport and local amenities such as a well stocked library and sport’s centre. A friend of mine lived next to new immigrant Nigerian family that used to pour palm oil down the drains in front of their house and it also wasn’t uncommon of them to leave empty pots of Efo outside their front door. It was so embarrassing!

In the 80s Peckam was mainly occupied by West Indians and it was not that bad now it is a different story since the Nigeria invasion. Lets be real here. Don’t be fooled people , there  are many places that have a high percentage of blacks such as Notting Hill and North Kensington that is one of the most expensive places in London. I am sure that if all the Nigerians were to be removed from Peckham the place would see an immediate facelift in less than a month!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2009
Moreover, there are houses in Peckham I have been to that are finer than some houses in high brow areas of Lagos.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 2:09pm On Nov 12, 2009
Seems like the typical china town. It'll be funny if any major city didn't have one of those. What's the biggie here?

I have issues with the word 'infested'.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by asha80(m): 2:15pm On Nov 12, 2009
i actually do not see much wrong in the video.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by shileowo: 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2009
the populatn of oyinbos far exceeds that of nigerians in peckham. upton park (pakis), 7sistas (jews), edgeware road (arabs) brixton (jamo). etc
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by No2Atheism(m): 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
Don't mind the yeye ngierians trying to form a class and uppity mentality . . . whats the big deal in having nigerians concentrated in a certain location.

Whether you are living in peckham or buckingham palace . . .the bottom line is that a significant number of white people would still look down on you and consider you to be inferior to them (even though the reverse is actually true scientifically).

Hence it pisses me off when people talk about somewhere looking run down.

Most people do not understand that most nigerians only consider that London or UK is not their home . . . but rather there place of making money. Hence most nigerians would not mind staying in a below standard area so long as they have well to do houses and properties back home in nigeria.

To be frank, its makes more sense to own property in nigeria than in the uk . . . in terms of the cost of maintenance and taxes and all . . .
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
the moderator is just trying to increase the attention towards this thread, annexed was bad enough but infested is just a wrong word
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by beknown(m): 2:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
blackspade,

You have only visited London two times and come to a conclusion of Peckham being a ghetto. That is a very wrong conclusion.

I am very disappointed in your stance about this video. Peckham is a bona fide place in London. Peckham is not a ghetto as some people call it.

The video correctly titled Peckham as a multicultural place. Peckham has all the nationalities around the world, not only Nigerians. The black people on the video are not all Nigerians.

The video shows a market street in Peckham, London. How else should a market look like? How many markets in Nigeria are as organised as that in Peckham? Why is there no recording of residential areas?

I am very surprised that some people simply have the appetite to criticise without any evidence to justify the criticism. This video is an open market of people buying and selling on a commercial street in London.

People should learn to say the truth at all times.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2009
they have pulled down 'em run down estates in peckham.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by palmwine(m): 2:26pm On Nov 12, 2009
Nothing in this video proves that all the blacks are Nigerians and using the word INFESTED is really in bad taste
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by asha80(m): 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2009
I might be wrong though but it is only nigerians that i have heard say they will not live in a particular place beacause it is full of nigerians  .I mean what the hell!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 2:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
As someone who lives around Peckham, i can say the picture you have tried to portray is not entirely true. The video is of one part of Peckham High Street and the area is a SHOPPING DISTRICT, It is not the whole of Peckham. The population is predominantly African Carribean and is NOT infested( Nigerians are not pests or an infestation please) true you will find lots of Nigerians shopping there because of the availability of Nigerian products and services like any other part of the world.
The areas around Peckham Rye Park are beautiful and the houses/flats go as much as £350,000, as someone who is also presently house - hunting, i can tell you i have been around Nunhead, Elm Grove, Forest Hill and Dulwich, areas around Peckham Rye Park are lovely, houses or flats there expensive no be moi moi. Expensive because of closeness to transport links and the city. Nigerians need to visit other Nigerians in affluent areas of London,no be only Peckham, Elephant and Castle, Brixton dey London!! i will not knock anyone for where they live, it's a choice and a matter of economics.
It is may not be Kensington and Chelsea but it is okay. Na who no go no know.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
This actually is yet another anti-Nigeria thread from blackspade.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by sayso: 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2009
@poster thank you very much for the first video,I will never try going to London/UK if that is what is obtainable over there,are you kidding me,I thought in London people do not hussle at all,the Government brings everything to your door step and you just have to pay your tax,so people trek or walk around,so the bus stop has no person wanting to queue up all standing waiting for the bus,so you can cross the road without the help of traffic light.This is hilarious.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by minute(f): 2:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
Most of it is a dump . . . . you just cant deny that. undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by BizBooks(m): 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2009
I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the video. If you did not indicate that it was London, it could pass for any downtown scene in the US or any other western country.

There is nothing to indicate that the people on the streets are Nigerians. For all we know, they could be from anywhere. In fact one of the stores has the sign "Halal Butchers" which tells me that it is a Middle Eastern store.

Even America has homeless people that sleep under the bridge even during winter. Ask anybody.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 2:55pm On Nov 12, 2009
There is nothing wrong with Peckham, in fact one can refer to it as little Lagos like some places in New York are called little italy. It does not necessary mean that it is run down.

I stand here to say there is no slum in London, anywhere that is inhabitable and completely run down are normally pulled down and new properties built on the same site.  That happend in Hackney all the high rise council flats in dalston in the early 1990's have all being pulled down and nice lovely terraced houses with gardens built on the same site.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 2:56pm On Nov 12, 2009
If education is expensive, try ignorance. Dump? that's quite harsh? Sorry love, i live in a part of Peckham( some will argue it is Peckham) and it is NOT a dump. In that case i can call Maryland a dump as well?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by beknown(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2009
Let us look at the true evidence of Peckham in London:

Peckham Pulse (Exercise and Healthy Living Centre):
http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/Peckham_Pulse_Healthy_Living_Centre

Peckham Library - Front view:
http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/peckham/index.htm

Peckham Library - Rear view:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Peckham_library_1.jpg

Peckham Library - At night:
http://www.archidose.org/Jul00/alsop3.jpg

Block of flat and office located at Peckham Road:
http://www.osborn-securities.co.uk/index.php?/case_studies/14/

View of part of Peckham - Old Kent Road:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OKRScan.jpg

More:
http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/PeckhamTheatres.htm

Local business in Peckham:
http://www.criticalnetwork.co.uk/whats_on/peckham_shops/peckham_shops.html

Peckham Lodge - Hotel accommodation:
http://www.laterooms.com/en/p5573/hotel-pictures/97139_peckham-lodge-london.aspx

Many more - Varieties:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=9074427

My people, visit Peckham and see for yourself.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by SeanT21(f): 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2009
@ beknown
^^^You can still have things like dat in the ghetto so whats your point?^^^

BizBooks:

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the video. If you did not indicate that it was London, it could pass for any downtown scene in the US or any other western country.

There is nothing to indicate that the people on the streets are Nigerians. For all we know, they could be from anywhere. In fact one of the stores has the sign "Halal Butchers" which tells me that it is a Middle Eastern store.

Even America has homeless people that sleep under the bridge even during winter. Ask anybody.

Why are u bringing America into this? Must you do it to feel good about the situation in peckham? undecided

sayso:

@poster thank you very much for the first video,I will never try going to London/UK if that is what is obtainable over there,are you kidding me,I thought in London people do not hussle at all,the Government brings everything to your door step and you just have to pay your tax,so people trek or walk around,so the bus stop has no person wanting to queue up all standing waiting for the bus,so you can cross the road without the help of traffic light.This is hilarious. 

LONDON does not equal Peckham.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by BizBooks(m): 3:13pm On Nov 12, 2009
@SeanT21,

On page 1 of this thread, Siena wrote:

At least, Nigeria is a third world country, what is Britains excuse, for having such run-down areas?

My reference to America is to remind everybody that there are parts of first world countries that look like third world countries. The author of this thread seems to be from California. Ask him, he will tell you.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by beknown(m): 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2009
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by SeanT21(f): 3:15pm On Nov 12, 2009
BizBooks:

@SeanT21,

On page 1 of this thread, Siena wrote:

My reference to America is to remind everybody that there are parts of first world countries that look like third world countries. The author of this thread seems to be from California. Ask him, he will tell you.

Okay then. Understood. wink
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 3:15pm On Nov 12, 2009
@ Beknown
Thanks for the links.
I was tempted to go out to Peckham Rye Park to take photographs and then upload them here. I am presently dossin' about on the sofa in my unwashed glory as i have been home all day, watching telly,contemplating if i should go on my 360 before wifey gets back from work, too lazy to go into the kitchen for food, well f*&% No!! i am not burning 96p worth of fuel or an ounce of energy walking either on some illogical, flawed and myopic view of an area.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by JesusDWay(m): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
I cant see anything ghetto in the video posted. The streets are even clean. If this is what they call ghetto abroad, then there should be no surprise why people will do anything to get there.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chikito1(f): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
Gibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you were in naija you complained and never did anything about it now you are in the UK,

still complaining. Get a life.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Pennywise(m): 3:19pm On Nov 12, 2009
I cant say if I have been to Peckham or merely passed through it. But I did like what I saw certainly not the ghetto that has been the general impression for sometime now. I recall dropping off (in my hired taxi) a very comely young lady who sat close to me in a flight to London sometime in '07. Peckham is a name I like to 4get in a hurry considering the young lady gave me her husband's Nigeria tel no rather than hers. Will never know why women do that.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Pappyman: 3:26pm On Nov 12, 2009
Guys,
There is nothing bad about Peckham, I was there in 2007 and I had fun because it was just like Lagos extention.
Everything works and the place is lovely except if you say being with your fellow black people in UK is being in a ghetto
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Kc0022000(m): 3:26pm On Nov 12, 2009
faakay:

The Moderator that edited the headline is a morafucker  grin

Peckham (In London) Is Infested With Nigerians

You mean Nigerians are like mosquitoes/cockroaches  in peckham?

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Mother Forgets Her Baby In A Commercial Bus After Alighting In Imo (video) / Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. / Moving To Norway Soonest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.