Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? (21676 Views)

Chris Okafor Acquires A Private Jet (Photos) / Pastor Adeboye’s $65m Private Jet Parked In Oyedepo’s Hangar In Lagos (Photo) / Why David Ibiyeomie Deserves More Than A Private Jet (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by CecyAdrian(f): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2016
firstking01:
Talking abt covenant university, if you can't afford the fees, uniport is there, unilag is there, futo is there and others, so, if you can't meet up with the fees go to the other schools...do you know how much it cost to put that school upto that standard?, do you know how much it cos to pay those profs, engineers that teach the students, do you know what it will cost to maintain the school and it's infrastructures?...i 've said this countless times let it be the headache of the people paying the fees and not you...

Well, talking about people in church who need money to start business or whatever, there's such as hospital and welfare department in every church, they should go there and their needs will be met...as far as i know the church is really trying her best...do you know how many scholarships some churches give?, i guess your answer is no...stop castigating men of God...

If only you read about oyedepos history and background you'd be the last person to critisize him...that man suffered, shebi you know?...pls allow him enjoy his wealth.

My goodness!!!

Do you know why churches started building schools in the first place, I bet you don't because if you do, you will swallow all this you churned out.

So, you are saying that turning/chasing poor Christians who saw the idea of separating themselves from the worldly things, people and protecting their morals by building schools to teach their children in Godly and upright ways and environment, liked it and started contributing towards the reality of it to go back to the worldly schools they frown at because they can't afford what they helped build?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Scallyg: 2:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
I don't understand this stupidity, its cool for businessman, artists and celebrities to be wealthy and enjoy good things of life, but when a pastor is wealthy, he becomes a conman??
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by mathel(m): 2:40pm On Dec 18, 2016
I think there's something we fail to understand about Men of God that are truly called to serve him. Your Pastor doesn't own you any help than to teach you the WORD.. You only own yourself if you fail to put it to practice.. Deut: 28:1. Just hearken unto God commandments. you will get there.
''It is not what you earn that secure future but what you learned and how you put to use''

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by MzMercie: 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2016
Toks2008:

You are getting it all twisted.

What is my business if a pastors Controll billions?

My point is that no Nigerian pastor has any justifiable reason to buy a private jet when there are countless members in one genuine need or the other.

The bible says "the poor we will always have among us" Mathew 26:11
but the fact remains that most churches have non functioning welfare department...pure charade.

If we refuse to voice out then things will get worse...look at the molly wood veteran that just had his leg amputated...are you saying that none of the churches are aware of his plight?

please bro let's condemn what needs to and stop acting as if all is well...95% of Nigerian pastors are con men parading as men of GOD...shrewd business men on the pulpit.

There is nothing wrong if a pastor/church has a private jet, as long as its for evangelism and missionary works. Even if its for personal or business use, cos some pastors actually av their businesses before accepting the ministry call. Knowing the source of the jet is very important, as knowing the purpose of d jet and if its used for the purpose. So if the pastor bought his jet tru his business, am sure he has his own reason for buying.
Because some people are suffering in his church does not make him a non-giver. Believe me, most pastors are heavy givers. Its d law of giving that is operating in their lives. The more u give, d more u receive. There will always be poor people on earth. Some people av little or no financial education, give them millions of naira to start a business, dey will mismanage d business and go back to square one. Is d pastor to be blamed for that. And wen d pastor tries to preach abt financial education on d altar, its people like u dat will condemn him of loving money too much. Pls stop condemning wot u don't know. Please and please stop blaming pastors for d suffering of their members, cos pastors also av tougher things they pass tru.

If u think the welfare dept is not doing well, call out those in d welfare dept to work better.

Leave God to deal with d con pastors, stop giving all pastors bad name because of d wolves in their midst. Serve God according to his dictates and encourage others to do same.

God bless u.

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by mayorbaron(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2016
i have really done my best to stay out of topics like this but this one hit me hard. now many of us jump to comment because they heard private jet and pastor. Now in your own little capacity, it is right for you to own a car when u can use the same money to take care of the poor in your church. is it right for u to build a house when there are so many people who can't pay rent in your church. In your own little corner, is it right for u to buy a phone of 70000 naira when some people can feed three times a day in your church. Most of you saying is the widows might. I don't doubt that put when God gives u a "crazy" vision, He gives u a "crazy'' Provision. the church does not force anyone to give, most give coz the want the advancement of the gospel. Now the church of christ keeps growing and most of these churches have international branches across countries. will it be better for the church to be paying flight fare for their pastors every now and then to visit other branches. Who told u most of this churches don't have welfare packages for their church members. Have u visited their priests before and explained your situation and he said the church can't help u. you sit in the comfort of your house in possession of ur own glamourous gadgets, cars, clothes but to u they are not too big coz they are not worth the price of a private jet and yet your neighbour is having challenge paying for her sons Jamb fee. The hard truth remains the church as a body can't take care of all they needs of people. coz human by nature are insatiable. they can only do the little they can like scholarships, welfare packages, community development, health centres, youth empowerment etc. so if God has given u the grace to be the head of more than a million congregation, same God will give you the provision to meet up with the demands of such population.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by eniorisha(m): 2:46pm On Dec 18, 2016
orisa37:
Yes. You use your best to serve God. Our God is not wretched.

Our God is not wretched but Jesus? If these pastors truly deserve these luxuries then I wonder what Jesus would had He been of this generation.

I'm not outrightly condemning them, but they shld tread with caution as regard this love of luxuries.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Zenlife: 2:46pm On Dec 18, 2016
DangotePikin:
don't call that name anyhow o! God does not joke with his agents.

Adeboye is NOT an agent of God
Adeboye and other GOs don't know or honor Jesus Christ teachings. They don't live by His ways.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2016
one yeye Con Man pastor Mathhew Oshiolowo or whatever his name is came on channels justifying why he needs a jet, the mugu interviewers were there like fools looking as the man was gesticulating flashing his solid Gold Rolex wrist watch, I was hoping one of them would have the sense to ask him, "if you say you need plane to travel, do you need a gold rolex to tell the time"?

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by torres89: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2016
orisa37:
Yes. You use your best to serve God. Our God is not wretched.

what's your definition of BEST

can't u be the best vocalist and serve God with it

can't u be the best farmer and serve God with it ?

can't u be the best cook and serve God with it?

2 Likes

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Sagacity07: 2:50pm On Dec 18, 2016
Toks2008:
The issue of money and how its being spent in the body of christ can not just be treated with a kid glove, i have seen numerous xtians who have left the faith cos of money issue. Believe me God is interested in how the church handles the issue of money.

I cant just wrap my brain around the fact that despite the presence of many Jobless youths in the church and members who lack basic needs of life that a pastor will dim it fit to acquire a private jet that cost millions of dollars not forgetting the millions of naira involved in servicing the jet and paying for the parking space.I have come to conclude that pastors who own private jets in Nigeria are materialistic,worldly,callous and highly insensitive to the plights of the members and a total embarrassment to the Christendom.

IF I WERE GOD, NO NIGERIAN PASTOR WHO PURCHASED A JET WILL MAKE IT TO HEAVEN because the primary duty of the church is to fend for the members spiritually and physically with the resources of the church but today we see little or nothing being done to help the church members in need yet many Pastors living large at the expense of the church members which has turned many churches to Business centers rather than worship centers.Isaiah 56:11 They are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, they seek their own gain.

Well maybe i am just ignorant about the subject matter...but this trend of private jet being owned by "men of God" is worth debating as its a source of concern in the Christian fold,so lets hear your views, in a very civilized manner..Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet and where do they get the money to buy it?

Hello toks, good question though it seems already colored.....you see I was very much of this opinion until I got to understand better the word of God. Now is it a sin to own a private jet? No. Is it a sin for a pastor to have a private jet? No. (this part is quite easy until u doubt the integrity of the men of God with private jet.) now, in Nigeria, u will agree with me that we naturally are against anybody being wealthy. We tend to pull down rather than push-up. Our perception is already tinted with angst towards the rich. So now did jesus(our example) use an expensive gift, yes he did.(remember the perfume). Did Paul encourage the church leaders to receive gifts from its members? Yes. I am not a member of these churches but as a christian yourself it would not do any good to "assume" they are using church funds because if they have not been a blessing to the individual lives of this massive people, they would not continue with them. I know the principle of sowing and how it is more blessed to give than to receive so.........

2 Likes

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by sucess001(m): 2:53pm On Dec 18, 2016
firstking01:
Smh, you lack spiritual understanding...immediately you have the tag of God on your head you are not a natural man, unless except you are ignorant of that grace in you.

Spiritually arrogant brother....

Jesus said 'blessed are the poor in spirit...'.

That shows u God's attitude to those u term 'ordinary men'.

To Jesus...showin luv to 'ordinary men' and 'extraordinary men' transcends using the best of things in the name of serving a rich God.

This is the basis of our faith.

Sadly, some claim spiritual understanding without realising this...

being saved doesn't mean u re now 'higher' than ordinary men. It only means u hav been saved by God's grace. And this also means that these mere men are the ones doctor Jesus wants to heal.

God open u understanding.

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by larryUG(m): 2:56pm On Dec 18, 2016
Toks2008:

You are getting it all twisted.

What is my business if a pastors Controll billions?

My point is that no Nigerian pastor has any justifiable reason to buy a private jet when there are countless members in one genuine need or the other.

The bible says "the poor we will always have among us" Mathew 26:11
but the fact remains that most churches have non functioning welfare department...pure charade.

If we refuse to voice out then things will get worse...look at the molly wood veteran that just had his leg amputated...are you saying that none of the churches are aware of his plight?

please bro let's condemn what needs to and stop acting as if all is well...95% of Nigerian pastors are con men parading as men of GOD...shrewd business men on the pulpit.
Why didn't Jesus sell off d perfume that d woman 'wasted' on his legs (which was a year's wage) that's where ur quotation of always havn d poor with u came from. My point is, since we will always have d poor with us, even if he sold dt perfume or oyedepo sold his plane, it won't stop poverty. I am against him havn 4 tho buh not certainly havn 1.

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by bebe2(f): 2:56pm On Dec 18, 2016
Toks2008:

What on earth is wrong with the mindset of our youths?

I'm scared...

It's scary oo

I past caring a long time ago.

There is something wrong with our mentality,

It's so sad.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by sucess001(m): 2:59pm On Dec 18, 2016
mayorbaron:
i have really done my best to stay out of topics like this but this one hit me hard. now many of us jump to comment because they heard private jet and pastor. Now in your own little capacity, it is right for you to own a car when u can use the same money to take care of the poor in your church. is it right for u to build a house when there are so many people who can't pay rent in your church. In your own little corner, is it right for u to buy a phone of 70000 naira when some people can feed three times a day in your church. Most of you saying is the widows might. I don't doubt that put when God gives u a "crazy" vision, He gives u a "crazy'' Provision. the church does not force anyone to give, most give coz the want the advancement of the gospel. Now the church of christ keeps growing and most of these churches have international branches across countries. will it be better for the church to be paying flight fare for their pastors every now and then to visit other branches. Who told u most of this churches don't have welfare packages for their church members. Have u visited their priests before and explained your situation and he said the church can't help u. you sit in the comfort of your house in possession of ur own glamourous gadgets, cars, clothes but to u they are not too big coz they are not worth the price of a private jet and yet your neighbour is having challenge paying for her sons Jamb fee. The hard truth remains the church as a body can't take care of all they needs of people. coz human by nature are insatiable. they can only do the little they can like scholarships, welfare packages, community development, health centres, youth empowerment etc. so if God has given u the grace to be the head of more than a million congregation, same God will give you the provision to meet up with the demands of such population.

It's actually cheaper to pay for flights than maintain jets.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by martineverest(m): 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2016
Elxandre:

TD Jakes, Munroe. Americans though.
monroe is late and he died of plane crash
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by martineverest(m): 3:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
Adaowerri111:
, cleflo dollar, joseph prince ...the list goes on
creflo doesnt have private jet....he was rebukes/criticised and abused by americans after requesting for 65 million dollar jet donations
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Lsofdk(m): 3:02pm On Dec 18, 2016
vizkiz:
Poverty mentality.

So it is okay for a millionaire, politician and a musician to have private jets but a pastor is subjected to suffering right?

Serving God doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy things because the earth is the lord's and the fullness therein

Before most of you (seun inclusive) come to nairaland to type junk maybe you should just take a minute and go through the Bible then read with your IQ (if you have any) not just rush to prove a void point
I believe every man of God should follow the steps of he who he preaches about (Christ as his role model)
There must have been things to ride on but he travelled on foot.
Service to God has never been affiliated with wealth except in recent times(and is subtly used to mock Christianity). Even Christ told the rich man who came to him to give his wealth to the poor and come follow him.
That said it's wrong for a man of God to purchase a private jet.
Note: no one is saying they should live in abject poverty.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Sagacity07: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2016
Contd.....

I think the problem is trust, the uncanny nature of some unsrupulous men to take advantage of this and set-up their own churches for selfish gain. So my advice is go to a church you can trust. And this is my advice as a christian to you, I understand u have to be resilient in other not to be silenced but christ did not enjoin us to be overly "abusive" in our word use when communicating our views....pls mellow on that dear brother. (even with those of A contrary opinion. It may take time but ur resolve to change must prevail). Aside this, remember there was a time in the world "as poor as a church rat was used. Now the true ministers that understand the word better have changed such perception but as usual Satan will always try to smear it b4 the eyes of the world. They did to Jesus(the pharisees). Pls do not join them. Never assume a strong/caustic stance b4 hearing others, no matter how tempting.......much love.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by dokyOloye: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Please go back to the children romance section. Thank you!
exactly what I wanted 2 say.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by dbeloved12: 3:06pm On Dec 18, 2016
vizkiz:
Poverty mentality.

So it is okay for a millionaire, politician and a musician to have private jets but a pastor is subjected to suffering right?

Serving God doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy things because the earth is the lord's and the fullness therein

Before most of you (seun inclusive) come to nairaland to type junk maybe you should just take a minute and go through the Bible then read with your IQ (if you have any) not just rush to prove a void point

With the type of mentallity display by this write, i can only hope and pray that other with similar trait are in d minority, else we are doomed!!!

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by InvertedHammer: 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2016
MMM: Put up capital and receive ( capital + 30% )

Nigerian pastors: Put up capital and receive ( zero + infinite % in God's I.O.U) redeemable in heaven.

It is noteworthy that between the two scams, MMM has better returns.

God is real. Religion is a scam.

\

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by olash007: 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2016
vizkiz:

Read my precious commenta again... This time read it slowly maybe you will understand.

Oga, there is different bwt necessity and luxury. Owning a private is a luxury, the cost of maintenance itself is another topic. I'm not saying pastor should be poor but touching the life of all your member financially should the priority. Private jet is luxury take or leave it.
Talking about covenant fee, you are absolute wrong to tell a member if you cannot afford the fee go to govt school. Our pastor should sell the jets and subsidise the fees. Shikena

Mind u I'm a winner

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by bezimo(m): 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2016
I saw things moving in the air in a vision in 1982, and the Lord said to me this is you in aircrafts bearing the everlasting gospel to the Nation's of the earth-Bishop Oyedepo.

Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as the doves to their windows? -Isa 60:8 God talking about planes and aircraft that can be owned by anybody that need them and can afford including men of God.

Yes, A pastor needs a private jet, depending on the influence and scale of his work, what more, if he is blessed by God to be able to own one.Then thank God.
Not my business.

Off course the modern day Judases, Sadducees and Pharisees who never give in church would be concerned about this just like Judas was in scriptures when a woman wiped the feet of Jesus with an expensive perform and Judas reacted and said why not sell the perfume and use the proceeds to bless the poor, and the scriptures said he said said so not because he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief- Matt 26:6-11

So Scriptures have painted the picture of a typical Judas hypocrite!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Zenlife: 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2016
mayorbaron:

The individuals mentioned with a car, gadgets, etc, most labored to purchase these.
The monies to purchase them aren't from public donations.

Is it a crime to refuse a gift?
Must all gifts be accepted?
Can't gifts be converted?

If the wealthy or following in Jesus time had offered him a gold chariot, would Jesus have accepted it?

Making some provisions for members isn't sufficient excuse to own a jet when more can be made with the cost and maintenance/ parking.

Many are hungry, unclothed and unsheltered daily.
Should these pastors only provide for their members?

I believe it's even more blessed to extend the proceeds of the church to non members on the street at least on a weekly basis. It's called charity.

Mr pastor, Mr GO, sell off your jet.
Bless God's children with the money realized.
Use it to meet the needs of the needy worldwide.
You will be truly blessed and even richer.
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by kazyhm(m): 3:09pm On Dec 18, 2016
mathel:
I think there's something we fail to understand about Men of God that are truly called to serve him. "[/Your Pastor doesn't own you any help than to teach you the WORD.. You only own yourself if you fail to put it to practice..] Deut: 28:1. Just hearken unto God commandments. you will get there.
''It is not what you earn that secure future but what you learned and how you put to use''

I agree 100%

does the congregation own the pastor anything at all ?
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by LaExpert: 3:10pm On Dec 18, 2016
Elxandre:

I still think A pastor should sell off a Private Jet gift.
Catching flights is not as inconvenient as you think. Ask Warren Buffet.

America is not a third world country, so I don't care much about them having Jets.

And if he doesn't decide to sell it, why still criticize him?

Because Nigeria is a 'third world' country?
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by LaExpert: 3:11pm On Dec 18, 2016
Elxandre:

What about when a woman who couldn't afford her child's comes for help, only to be given the offering basket to stand in front of the church.
As expected it wasn't nearly enough.

Something the church should have given her directly from it's pocket!
Smh!

Talking about the fees, how about the church subsidizes the cost heavily, while cutting down on some other expenses like building new ultra mega theatres?

That may be the Church's policy on contingencies or emergencies, you can't fault them.

Up till now, I've not seen any church that sends away people who come to ask for help.
If a Church also keeps giving money from its pockets directly to those in need and later announce to the members, the members will still complain at some point.

As regards the subsidizing the fees, shed more light and maybe with examples...maybe we can have a discourse on this.

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Adaowerri111: 3:11pm On Dec 18, 2016
martineverest:
creflo doesnt have private jet....he was rebukes/criticised and abused by americans after requesting for 65 million dollar jet donations

http://www.tithing.com/blog/list-of-pastors-use-or-own-private-jets-and-mansions/
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Lsofdk(m): 3:13pm On Dec 18, 2016
Toks2008:

My guy please just negodu...

I am a heaven bound holy spirit filled tongue blasting believer in Christ and I can tell you that 99% of present day churches are pure business centers.
i love it when sentiments are put aside when discussing issues like this

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by InvertedHammer: 3:18pm On Dec 18, 2016
/

Jesus said, "No one can go to the father except through me".

But Nigerian pastors pretend to be brokers for God. That is, pay the brokerage fees (aka tithe) and they will connect your transactions with God. Heck! While at it, they will book your reservation for a room in heaven.

Since there is no shortage of f.ools, the pastors can afford to buy a jet worth millions of dollars while their church members are teetering on the cliff of financial abyss.
\

1 Like

Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by Alorotimi: 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2016
who in the Bible can we compare Pastor to?
Elijah, Elisha, David or Solomon ,........
After picking your answer, study the position of the individual relating to the service of God.
Which of them are prophets and Kings.
pls relate pastors to prophets like Elijah not with Kings ( Solomon and David rich, I have to)
Re: Does A Nigerian Pastor Truly Need A Private Jet? by KevinDein: 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2016
dbeloved12:

With the type of mentallity display by this write, i can only hope and pray that other with similar trait are in d minority, else we are doomed!!!
they are probably in the minority but their population is quite significant so we aren't entirely safe. grin

The dude actually thinks he is some kind of Einstein grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Where And How Can I Summon This Spirit? / How I Escaped Hell- Sister Linda’s Testimony / 10 Categories Of People That Run From Church To Another For Miracles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.