Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,324 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? (33719 Views)

How To Know If You Are Truly Born Again. / When Was Jesus Truly Born? / Chop Off Your Hand?! Was Jesus Serious? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 25, 2016
No
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by lordsmart: 10:52am On Dec 25, 2016
THIS IS THE TRUTH MANY DONT KNOW
Although most Christians celebrate December 25 as the birthday of Jesus Christ, few in the first two Christian centuries claimed any knowledge of the exact day or year in which he was born. The oldest existing record of a Christmas celebration is found in a Roman almanac that tells of a Christ’s Nativity festival led by the church of Rome in 336 A.D. The precise reason why Christmas came to be celebrated on December 25 remains obscure, but most researchers believe that Christmas originated as a Christian substitute for pagan celebrations of the winter solstice.

To early Christians (and to many Christians today), the most important holiday on the Christian calendar was Easter, which commemorates the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. However, as Christianity began to take hold in the Roman world, in the early fourth century, church leaders had to contend with a popular Roman pagan holiday commemorating the “birthday of the unconquered sun” (natalis solis invicti)–the Roman name for the winter solstice.

Every winter, Romans honored the pagan god Saturn, the god of agriculture, with a festival that began on December 17 and usually ended on or around December 25 with a winter-solstice celebration in honor of the beginning of the new solar cycle. This festival was a time of merrymaking, and families and friends would exchange gifts. At the same time, Mithraism–worship of the ancient Persian god of light–was popular in the Roman army, and the cult held some of its most important rituals on the winter solstice.

After the Roman Emperor Constantine I converted to Christianity in 312 and sanctioned Christianity, church leaders made efforts to appropriate the winter-solstice holidays and thereby achieve a more seamless conversion to Christianity for the emperor’s subjects. In rationalizing the celebration of Jesus’ birthday in late December, church leaders may have argued that since the world was allegedly created on the spring equinox (late March), so too would Jesus have been conceived by God on that date. The Virgin Mary, pregnant with the son of God, would hence have given birth to Jesus nine months later on the winter solstice.

From Rome, the Christ’s Nativity celebration spread to other Christian churches to the west and east, and soon most Christians were celebrating Christ’s birth on December 25. To the Roman celebration was later added other winter-solstice rituals observed by various pagan groups, such as the lighting of the Yule log and decorations with evergreens by Germanic tribes. The word Christmas entered the English language originally as Christes maesse, meaning “Christ’s mass” or “festival of Christ” in Old English. A popular medieval feast was that of St. Nicholas of Myra, a saint said to visit children with gifts and admonitions just before Christmas. This story evolved into the modern practice of leaving gifts for children said to be brought by “Santa Claus,” a derivative of the Dutch name for St. Nicholas–Sinterklaas.

5 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by sheyee(m): 10:52am On Dec 25, 2016
Una don come again, is not compulsory u celebrate it, setting apart a day to celebrate Jesus i think is not a bad idea...abi e get anoda thing wey una dey celebrate again
Merry Christmas Nairalanders

4 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Chienex24(m): 10:52am On Dec 25, 2016
no need for verification and besides, it perfectly matches the turn of a new year, marking a date set to usher in the new year in 7 days....

and besides, it is the same way we all agreed to vote buhari...

4 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by TLisieux: 10:53am On Dec 25, 2016
Jehovah''s witnesses and their foolish argument. They don't even celebrate their own birthdays. So why argue about the birthday of Jesus Christ?

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Damfostopper(m): 10:53am On Dec 25, 2016
what happened to google?,,,,, when it is Sunday like this.... many iddiots will be creating useless topics.... if na within the week Yu won't see any Christian post.... and the mad mods high on sewage water will just push it to fp.... I no blame una... na Seun I blame...... BTW I don't fear ban.....cos those Hu gives a fvck went that way.....

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by dadaha: 10:53am On Dec 25, 2016
Addicted2Women:

Religion is a scam

Jesus Christ doesn't exist

Hell fire which they claim have been flaming for 4000 years now doesn't exist, what type of fire dey flame for 4000 without stopping ??

The people in hell fire don burn for 4000 years, dem never turn to ashes ??
What happened to the people who were born before jesus Christ ?? Them no go heaven, them no go to hell fire, they just turned to a bird and flew away ??

God created the first human which were Adam and Eve and they gave birth to Cain and Abel, Cain and Abel married and had children, who the fucck did they marry ?? Their mother ??

Jesus was born through immaculate conception

The holy spirit just made a woman become pregnant

His pictures can't be found, his birth record can't be found

Oh, the picture they show you claiming he's Jesus was taken 4000 years ago with an iPhone 7

He walked on water, feed 5 thousand people with 5 loaves of bread but couldn't handle three nails on the cross

Can you just go tell this lie to primary school kids

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by baike: 10:54am On Dec 25, 2016
yes. is this question going to be has every chrismas day
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by bangging(m): 10:54am On Dec 25, 2016
TreasuredLeidy:
So I read a comment in one of the front page topics dis morning concerning Christmas..
The person was like December 25th is not d birthday of Jesus buh d feast day of Illuminaty people.
Is dis true? Come to think of it, there is no biblical reference that Christ was born on December 25th so so so year or is there?
Am a Christian actually n I do celebrate Christmas buh dah comment gat me thinking hard..

Was Christ truly born on December 25th or the Early Christians just choose the day to celebrate his Birth?

Please if anyone know where d birth date of Jesus is Stated in d Bible or Why we celebrate His Birth every December 25th, He/She should point it out.
Tnx
#IJustWannaBeEducated
even if it was on 3rd of december the world will still celebrate it and it will still be called the Saviour of the world... Merry xmas to you all...

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by simplex2: 10:54am On Dec 25, 2016
The pagan God celebrated on 25th Dec was born of a virgin birth, fathered by a pagan God, was born in a menger, got gifts from wise men including gold, frankjeinstein and mrrh, grew up to do miracles, died and rose again after 3 days: guess what? That pagan God isn't Jesus, a strong Roman emperror super-imposed the Christian story to the pagan story and till today, a lot of Christians don't know what they are actually celebrating.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by africanusvu(m): 10:54am On Dec 25, 2016
Our interest is that we av decided to celebrate the birth of our lord today 25dec.wether he is born on june or may.na u sabi.Wondering why these much ado abt whether Jesus is born 25th or nt.if it isnt 25thdec.then tel us when

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by ReubenE(m): 10:54am On Dec 25, 2016
It was not the birthday of Christ, but it is now.
December 25th was a day pagans worshipped one of their gods, but Christmas was introduced during this period in order to discourage that practice.

The good thing is that nobody was killed before almost everyone accepted Christmas.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 25, 2016
Jesus wasn't born in December. Following the star, the birth month and week of Jesus is known and have been found out through thorough scriptural research and some astronomical research... But we must maintain the date, it doesn't change anything
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 25, 2016
No Jesus was not born on 25th Dec XXXX,
Christmas is not even in the bible, it is a Pagan ritual.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by pbs4real(m): 10:55am On Dec 25, 2016
TreasuredLeidy:
So I read a comment in one of the front page topics dis morning concerning Christmas..
The person was like December 25th is not d birthday of Jesus buh d feast day of Illuminaty people.
Is dis true? Come to think of it, there is no biblical reference that Christ was born on December 25th so so so year or is there?
Am a Christian actually n I do celebrate Christmas buh dah comment gat me thinking hard..

Was Christ truly born on December 25th or the Early Christians just choose the day to celebrate his Birth?

Please if anyone know where d birth date of Jesus is Stated in d Bible or Why we celebrate His Birth every December 25th, He/She should point it out.
Tnx
#IJustWannaBeEducated
believe it or not the date was fixed.
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by labbyk(m): 10:55am On Dec 25, 2016
I have nothing to say...anyway, merry Christmas cool
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by bigerboy200: 10:55am On Dec 25, 2016
zicoraads:
It's just a date agreed upon to commemorate His birth.
agreed by who?
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by mhisbliss(f): 10:56am On Dec 25, 2016
nope, i dont know when he was born but I'm sure its not December, for alot of reasons

The shepherds who came to see him were out at night with thier flocks, before the angel came, December is a very cold month, it snows in some place and its cold everywhere, so its only logical to think that in such cold times who would like to stay outside in the name of shepherding

Secondly theres a pagan festival in honor of a sun god, the romans of ancient times worship, the date of the festival coincides with the date of Christmas

Christmas has a pagan origin

4 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by symbianDON(m): 10:56am On Dec 25, 2016
what does it matter whether He was born on 25th December or not? if Christians, the world over, have chosen 25th December as the day to mark His earthly birthday, then there shouldn't be any debate since no exact date was mentioned in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 25, 2016
sheyee:
Una don come again, is not compulsory u celebrate it, setting apart a day to celebrate Jesus i think is not a bad idea...abi e get anoda thing wey una dey celebrate again
Merry Christmas Nairalanders

Yeah choke on this http://www.livescience.com/25779-christmas-traditions-history-paganism.html

Too bad you have to wait 12 months to celebrate something, I celebrate everyday. tongue
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 25, 2016
Addicted2Women:

Religion is a scam

Jesus Christ doesn't exist

Hell fire which they claim have been flaming for 4000 years now doesn't exist, what type of fire dey flame for 4000 without stopping ?? Gas or firewood ??

The people in hell fire don burn for 4000 years, dem never turn to ashes ??
What happened to the people who were born before jesus Christ ?? Them no go heaven, them no go to hell fire, they just turned to a bird and flew away ??

God created the first human which were Adam and Eve and they gave birth to Cain and Abel, Cain and Abel married and had children, who the fucck did they marry ?? Their mother ??

Jesus was born through immaculate conception

The holy spirit just made a woman become pregnant

His pictures can't be found, his birth record can't be found

Oh, the picture they show you claiming he's Jesus was taken 4000 years ago with an iPhone 7

He walked on water, feed 5 thousand people with 5 loaves of bread but couldn't handle three nails on the cross

Can you just go tell this lie to primary school kids

I pray that you eventually find Jesus, you'll see how loving and caring He is, it will shock you..

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Jacko1(m): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2016
Jesus was not born any 25th december

Its only us Nigerians that take offrnce when such is pointed out

In the western world christmas is no more about Jesus

No one connects christmas and Jesus again

Santa Claus ti take over

So lets stop letting preachers deceive us

North korea... Israel...russia...china.... Japan

All celebrate xmas.... Sweden.... Czech and dey do so cos. Xmas is no more bout Jesus
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by AlphaStyles(m): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2016
u people shouldn't bother answering this guy's
they just wanna ruin Christmas. u call ur self's Christians but you just want to twist the Bible and faith as u like. mtchew
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Lustig(m): 10:59am On Dec 25, 2016
I dont care whether He was born on 25th of December or 12th of June. The fact that He was born and died for my sins is enough for me - the day, month or year is totally insignificant! Merry Christmas to y'all
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by olaztek(m): 10:59am On Dec 25, 2016
PUSH1:
Let me ask Alfa
Alfa will tell you that he is Still alive and is in heaven waiting for when he will come back to declare and spread his true faith - ISLAM

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by sassy247(m): 11:01am On Dec 25, 2016
Christianity wasn't mentioned in the Bible and Jesus was not born on the 25th then what the hell are you celebrating. Christianity is a business center not religion.

4 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by sheyee(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2016
kaeforum:

Yeah choke on this http://www.livescience.com/25779-christmas-traditions-history-paganism.html

Too bad you have to wait 12 months to celebrate something, I celebrate everyday. tongue

See how shallow ur thinking is, just because a day is set to celebrate Jesus means is not celebrated daily....chai..receive wisdom.
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Ifebazz(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2016
bitcoininvesto:

I don't need to waith for JW to visit. I don Google am and am now convinced that Jesus wasn't born Dec 25 nor did he do Xmas.
Was there any arguments to that effect before?
How many people can tell the birthday of their great grandparents or great great great grandparents? You only assume based on what they tell you. The church fixed a 'convenient date' for the celebration.
But what's with the date sef, so if they move it to June will it make the world a better place to be? All these irascible ones sef.
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by AfroSamurai: 11:02am On Dec 25, 2016
He wasn't, period!.
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by Mufasa27(m): 11:03am On Dec 25, 2016
OP, why you dey find wetin nor lost..
Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by simplex2: 11:03am On Dec 25, 2016
ReubenE:
It was not the birthday of Christ, but it is now.
December 25th was a day pagans worshipped one of their gods, but Christmas was introduced during this period in order to discourage that practice.

The good thing is that nobody was killed before almost everyone accepted Christmas.

Is that what they told you? The purpose was not to discourage paganism but to help propagate Christianity by making it more appealing to pagans.

Your last paragraph is soo wrong, a lot of people where killed by the crusaders to propagate and enforce Christianity.

You need to Google 'crusaders'

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Christ Truly Born On December 25th? by ndidibabe(f): 11:03am On Dec 25, 2016
NO. Christmas is a pagan festival.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Reasons You Must Run From Premarital Sex On Valentine's Day / Pastor's Lover Dies During Abortion In Kaduna State / RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.