Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (60965 Views)

What Does God Command About Restitution And Reconciliation? / "Why Does God Command That Infants Should Be Dashed Upon The Rocks"? / Bible Emergency Numbers That Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Williams Craig mentioned in the video that the Canaanites were, according to ancient history outside biblical text , morally despicable wicked people . And that their culture was grossly immoral, decadent even to its roots.

The Canaanites practiced divination, witchcraft, female and male temple sex, adultery, homosexuality, transvestitism, pederasty (men sexually abused boys), bestiality and incest.

And if you look at Genesis 19:30 -36 we can see that after Sodom - a Canaanite city - was destroyed by God , daughters of Lot made their own father drunk - this according to history was one of the sexual practices known to the city (incest) which was just annihilated .

The Canaanites also practiced child sacrifice. And according to Lev 18 : 21 God had commanded that the Israelites should never give their children to be sacrificed to Molech .

Here is what Molech looks like :

Molech was a Canaanite underworld deity represented as an upright, bull-headed idol with human body in whose belly a fire was stoked and in whose outstretched arms a child was placed that would be burned to death

And I discovered that it wasn't just infants who were victims of this nauseatingly wicked practice , even toddlers were scarified to Molech . Also note that archaeological evidence proves that the children were burned to death in their thousands . So much wickedness that God now commanded the Israelites to exterminate them after 400 years of reprieve .

And according to Philosophers like Paul Copan all the archaeological evidence available indicates that there were no civilian populations that existed at Jericho, Ai, and other cities mentioned in the book of Joshua .

Philosopher Paul Copan also explained that :

“Joshua’s conventional warfare rhetoric was common in many other ancient Near Eastern military accounts in the second and first millennia B.C.” Therefore, phrases like “utterly destroy” (haram), or “put to death men and women, children, and infants”—as well as other “obliteration language”—were stock “stereotypical” idioms used even when women or children were not present. It decreed total victory (much like your favorite sports team “wiping out” the opposition), not complete annihilation.

So William Craig was right .
Really?? Rabah or what was the name of that prostitute, she was a civilian and I know all her family resided in Jericho because the bible records she and her family were spared. U are trying to make the actions of God more palatable by altering the facts as presented by the bible. God commanded the complete extermination of the amalekites too so it's no surprise.
And god already promised that land to Abraham hundreds of years ago. It was never about the wickedness of the Canaanites, it was about an ill thought out promise to Abraham
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

U r also guilty of genocide on lower and other animals.

What say you?
Yez/No
So humans and animals are the same now abi... Silly analogy
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

So humans and animals are the same now abi... Silly analogy

Of course, other animals have emotions like you.

You see yourself justifying your wickedness now?

Hypocrites of maximum order....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:29pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

Of course, other animals have emotions like you.

You see yourself justifying your wickedness now?

Hypocrites of maximum order....
Idiocy... If u lose your sibling or your dog. Which one will hurt you more

1 Like

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

Really?? Rabah or what was the name of that prostitute, she was a civilian and I know all her family resided in Jericho because the bible records she and her family were spared. U are trying to make the actions of God more palatable by altering the facts as presented by the bible. God commanded the complete extermination of the amalekites too so it's no surprise.
And god already promised that land to Abraham hundreds of years ago. It was never about the wickedness of the Canaanites, it was about an ill thought out promise to Abraham

Now you are shifting the goal post . You asked for the sin of the Canaanites , I gave you a plethora of reasons why the Canaanites were wicked people and now you claim that God's promise to Abraham was ill thought out ? For me to start explain God's promise to Abraham down to the extermination of the Canaanites ? What is wrong with you people undecided

If you can't carry out of these researches by yourself don't bother people with irrelevant questions when you'll never ever apply this knowledge to future arguments . You'll still ask another Christian the sin of the Canaanites hoping he won't have knowledge of it so that you show your hatred for God .

The Canaanites were wicked people who needed to be wiped out . God foresaw this and promised Abraham that land since he was going to judge them for their wickedness .

Deuteronomy 9:4
4 “Do not say in your heart, after the Lord your God has thrust them out before you, ‘It is because of my righteousness that the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,’ whereas it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is driving them out before you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by MrMontella(m): 1:33pm On Dec 29, 2016
dalaman:

Then let me not hear you complain when Allah's foot soldiers go about killing people on his divine command theory. After all you can't judge Allah because he created the universe and has the right to do what ever he wants.
its as simple as that..
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

Idiocy... If u lose your sibling or your dog. Which one will hurt you more

God forbid,
Both hurt me.

I can see u r still trying hard to justify ur wickedness.
Ride on,

Hypocrite. grin
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by dalaman: 1:37pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Williams Craig mentioned in the video that the Canaanites were, according to ancient history outside biblical text , morally despicable wicked people . And that their culture was grossly immoral, decadent even to its roots.

The Canaanites practiced divination, witchcraft, female and male temple sex, adultery, homosexuality, transvestitism, pederasty (men sexually abused boys), bestiality and incest.

And if you look at Genesis 19:30 -36 we can see that after Sodom - a Canaanite city - was destroyed by God , daughters of Lot made their own father drunk - this according to history was one of the sexual practices known to the city (incest) which was just annihilated .

The Canaanites also practiced child sacrifice. And according to Lev 18 : 21 God had commanded that the Israelites should never give their children to be sacrificed to Molech .

Molech was a Canaanite underworld deity represented as an upright, bull-headed idol with human body in whose belly a fire was stoked and in whose outstretched arms a child was placed that would be burned to death

And I discovered that it wasn't just infants who were victims of this nauseatingly wicked practice , even toddlers were scarified to Molech . Also note that archaeological evidence proves that the children were burned to death in their thousands . So much wickedness that God now commanded the Israelites to exterminate them after 400 years of reprieve .

And according to Philosophers like Paul Copan all the archaeological evidence available indicates that there were no civilian populations that existed at Jericho, Ai, and other cities mentioned in the book of Joshua .

Philosopher Paul Copan also explained that :

“Joshua’s conventional warfare rhetoric was common in many other ancient Near Eastern military accounts in the second and first millennia B.C.” Therefore, phrases like “utterly destroy” (haram), or “put to death men and women, children, and infants”—as well as other “obliteration language”—were stock “stereotypical” idioms used even when women or children were not present. It decreed total victory (much like your favorite sports team “wiping out” the opposition), not complete annihilation.

So William Craig was right .

You can't point to anything the Caannaties did according to the bible.

William Craig is known for dishonestly appealing to authority. He will lie and drop names knowing very well that people will assume the names are those of distinguished scholars. He knows that people will not check the names and the truth of the claims. He has been caught red handed misquoting or lying about what people wrote down or said.

As for the conquest of Canaan, non such thing happened in reality. The ancient Israelites had thier origin from canaan. The conquest of Canaan like the exodus is non historical. When we debate such things we do them with the assumption that the biblical stories are true.
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:37pm On Dec 29, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Kai. What about the people of Jericho? What was their own crime?

Jericho was part of Canaan .
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Now you are shifting the goal post . You asked for the sin of the Canaanites , I gave you a plethora of reasons why the Canaanites were wicked people and now you claim that God's promise to Abraham was ill thought out ? For me to start explain God's promise to Abraham down to the extermination of the Canaanites ? What is wrong with you people undecided

If you can't carry out of these researches by yourself don't bother people with irrelevant questions when you'll never ever apply this knowledge to future arguments . You'll still ask another Christian the sin of the Canaanites hoping he won't have knowledge of it so that you show your hatred for God .

The Canaanites were wicked people who needed to be wiped out . God foresaw this and promised Abraham that land since he was going to judge them for their wickedness .

Deuteronomy 9:4
4 “Do not say in your heart, after the Lord your God has thrust them out before you, ‘It is because of my righteousness that the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,’ whereas it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is driving them out before you.
Oh ... Now that I've caught your lie that children were not killed, u are getting defensive. Am familiar with the bible, u can't bamboozle me with lies like u do to some.
Simply justify the killing of children in order to repay the wickedness of the Canaanites. Or were the babies and toddlers guilty too??...
BTW, the Canaanites had been involved in these despicable acts for centuries but your god sat and looked while children were used for rituals. Then, when the Israelites needed the land he then remembered that the people were wicked and then wiped them out including their children.... Very convenient isn't it?
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2016
dalaman:

You can't point to anything the Caannaties did according to the bible.

William Craig is known for dishonestly appealing to authority. He will lie and drop names knowing very well that people will assume the names are those of distinguished scholars. He knows that people will not check the names and the truth of the claims. He has been caught red handed misquoting or lying about what people wrote down or said.

As for the conquest of Canaan, non such thing happened in reality. The ancient Israelites had thier origin from canaan. The conquest of Canaan like the exodus is non historical. When we debate such things we do them with the assumption that the biblical stories are true.

I downloaded Paul Copan's book "Is God a Moral Monster " . Paul Copan is a popular philosopher who has written numerous books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Copan
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

God forbid,
Both hurt me.

I can see u r still trying hard to justify ur wickedness.
Ride on,

Hypocrite. grin
Both hurt u?? So a dog is as important as your sibling. Cool cool
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by dalaman: 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

U r also guilty of genocide on lower and other animals.

What say you?
Yez/No

Its a competing world and I'll have to depend on them for survival. Just the way many microbes also depend on me for survival. Heck if a hungry lion or tiger sees me in the jungle I'll be it's food.

You are still yet to explain to me how a God that claims to love humans is always quick to kill them.

The worse part is you are here defending this said God even when the same God knows that some of his actions are wrong and evil that he even apologized for it. You are deluded.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

Oh ... Now that I've caught your lie that children were not killed, u are getting defensive. Am familiar with the bible, u can't bamboozle me with lies like u do to some.
Simply justify the killing of children in order to repay the wickedness of the Canaanites. Or were the babies and toddlers guilty too??...
BTW, the Canaanites had been involved in these despicable acts for centuries but your god sat and looked while children were used for rituals. Then, when the Israelites needed the land he then remembered that the people were wicked and then wiped them out including their children.... Very convenient isn't it?

We are going in circles , you asked me the same question that I just answered . I'm tired of typing long posts which are otiose to the life of an avowed moralless atheist .

You have no reason what so ever to condemn anyone since you are an atheist . undecided
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by blueyedgeek(m): 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
Let us not forget the topic at hand.
did God command genocide in the Bible?

The Oxford dictionary defines genocide as the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

Based on the definition above, did God command genocide or not?

If you are trying to explain why genocide was necessary at the time or how God answers to nobody, that's a different argument but did God command genocide to be carried out by the Israelites? The answer is yes.
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by JackBizzle: 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Here are the failures in your argument for the justification of God's genocide against the Canaanites.

1) There are many societies in the West that engage in incest, bestiality, divination etc. Is your argument that they should be destroyed totally?

2) Molech is one god out of many that the Canaanites worshipped (see link below). So how can you support the destruction of all Canaanites when all of them didnt worship Molech?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion#Beliefs

Checkmate brah!

1 Like

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

Both hurt u?? So a dog is as important as your sibling. Cool cool

Like i said.

U start with "A=B",

Then u move to "A is not B, but B's cousin"

And then u finally move to "A is not B's cousin but I know A more than you."

Just like yoyo.
grin Ever drifting.

Well, i wouldn't expect nothing more from somebody who said foetus in the womb is not a a human being scientifically.

You nauseate, honestly.
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by dalaman: 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I downloaded Paul Copan's book "Is God a Moral Monster " . Paul Copan is a popular philosopher who has written numerous books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Copan

The guy is tring to have it both ways. He's trying to use semantics to say ohh, kill all the amalekites doesn't mean you should all kill them, it's just an expression that means you are to win the battle and all the other NONSENSE thrash people like William Craig use. In William Craigs attempt to play such games he said in his debate with Eddy Tabash that maybe God did not tell the Israelites to write down all the things they wrote down meaning they lied. See the extent these apologist can go. Recently he just say he doesn't like talking about OT morality. He just makes his case for the moral argument and goes, if you try to drag him to defend the actions of God in the OT he'll just tell you he doesn't want to do that, which is more honest that most of the jargon he used to spew before.

2 Likes

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
dalaman:

Its a competing world and I'll have to depend on them for survival. Just the way many microbes also depend on me for survival. Heck if a hungry lion or tiger sees me in the jungle I'll be it's food.

You are still yet to explain to me how a God that claims to love humans is always quick to kill them.

The worse part is you are here defending this said God even when the same God knows that some of his actions are wrong and evil that he even apologized for it. You are deluded.

Are u guilty?

Yes or No, baba

No long stories...
U see how ur own story is going, it may even be longer than the first half of this thread....
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by MrMontella(m): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Jesus said HE CAME NOT TO ABOLISH THE LAW BUT TO FULFIL IT. I think even you should understand english. He fulfilled all of the law so everythig attached to the law stopped in Christ the moment he said IT IS FINISHED...In other words THE LAW IS FINISHED.
just imagine this lie..

IT is finished now translates to the law is finished abi?

Matthew 5 New International Version (NIV)
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to
abolish them but to fulfill them.
18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear
not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of
a pen
will by any means disappear from the
Law
until everything is accomplished.
19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches
others accordingly will be called least in the
kingdom of heaven
but whoever practices
and teaches these commands will be called
great in the kingdom of heaven
20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness
surpasses that of the Pharisees and the
teachers of the law
, you will certainly not
enter the kingdom of heaven.
please..how can the righteousness of the teachers of the law be used as a grading system if there is no law?

Also please take not of the underlined and embolded words and explain how your theory fits it

3)...please tell us in simple english terms how---- [color=red]an eye for an eye was fulfilled by turn the other cheek

1 Like

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

We are going in circles , you asked me the same question that I just answered . I'm tired of typing long posts which are otiose to the life of an avowed moralless atheist .

You have no reason what so ever to condemn anyone since you are an atheist . undecided
Well.... At least you didn't totally disappear as you usually do when issues you can't twist are raised.... U call me moraless but you justify the killing of children. U will justify anything as long as it is in the bible, be it murder, rape, genocide, slavery or paedophilia. Am totally against all this no matter who the perpetrator is.... Am not Moraless, u are....
And yes atheists can condemn and criticize people... We happen to be the ones with the least tendency for violence. Christians on the other hand...
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by dalaman: 1:53pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

Are u guilty?

Yes or No, baba

No long stories...
U see how ur own story is going, it may even be longer than the first half of this thread....

Guilty of what? You are here defending the actions of a God that acknowledged he did evil and apologised for it. You are telling us that God didn't do any evil or he can not do evil but the bile says you are a liar because God does evil and even apologize for the evil he did.
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The guy even said earlier that fetus and embryo in the womb are not human beings scientifically.
So abortion is permitted.
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:55pm On Dec 29, 2016
dalaman:

Guilty of what? You are here defending the actions of a God that acknowledged he did evil and apologised for it. You are telling us that God didn't do any evil or he can not do evil but the bile says you are a liar because God does evil and even apologize for the evil he did.

U are now even blind to the question?

This is interesting..... grin
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by MrMontella(m): 1:55pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

For them in their time, it was the righteous thing.
And u dont make sense for trying to use your today's brain to try to condemn it.
what do you mean by it was in their time ?
See cheap talk!

To the servants of allah...it is still thier time...so what nonsense is this

Or Is yahweh(bible) to dictate for allah(quran) when it is ''time''?

Like dalaman said...if you go by divine command theory...please do not complain about islamic killings...

Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2016
JackBizzle:

Here are the failures in your argument for the justification of God's genocide against the Canaanites.

1) There are many societies in the West that engage in incest, bestiality, divination etc. Is your argument that they should be destroyed totally?

You have started again with your irrational conclusions . I never said that .

2) Molech is one god out of many that the Canaanites worshipped (see link below). So how can you support the destruction of all Canaanites when all of them didnt worship Molech?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion#Beliefs

Child sacrifice was one of the numerous sins that is imputed to the worship of Molech/Malkam . It wasn't just for Child sacrifice , it was for so many wicked and sinful acts of the Canaanite people

Whenever you start making sense , mention me bro wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by randomperson: 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

Like i said.

U start with "A=B",

Then u move to "A is not B, but B's cousin"

And then u finally move to "A is not B's cousin but I know A more than you."

Just like yoyo.
grin Ever drifting.

Well, i wouldn't expect nothing more from somebody who said foetus in the womb is not a a human being scientifically.

You nauseate, honestly.
Am happy I nauseate you. I don't need the approval of someone who supports infanticide... And someone who equates his own sibling to a dog just to show that his god is not wrong
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2016
MrMontella:

See cheap talk!

Like dalaman said...if you go by divine command theory...please do not complain about islamic killings...

Rubbish!

Jesus has come,
So no more excuses for killing.

This is the era of grace.
Of course, u dont know that.

Next!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2016
felixomor:

The guy even said earlier that fetus and embryo in the womb are not human beings scientifically.
So abortion is permitted.

Lol . So randomperson who assents to abortion is condemning the extermination of infants

Is he confused or what grin

That guy is a complete joke

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by dalaman: 1:58pm On Dec 29, 2016
MrMontella:

See cheap talk!

Rubbish!

Abeg forget the clown.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by felixomor: 1:59pm On Dec 29, 2016
randomperson:

Am happy I nauseate you. I don't need the approval of someone who supports infanticide... And someone who equates his own sibling to a dog just to show that his god is not wrong

My siblings are alive, u have no point.

A simple question of yes or no, has gotten to my siblings...Wow

Of course , what can i expect from an atheist?
Re: Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! by MrMontella(m): 1:59pm On Dec 29, 2016
naijadeyhia:
[s][/s]

You just said all manners of rubbish!

I asked a simple question which deserves a simple answer. Let me post it again

I a nutshell why do the givers of the human law still have the ability to break the very same law they have given? We have laws that stand against killing but the law enforcement officers kill everyday.

We have laws against rape yet people who know this still rape

We have laws against murder but murder is still being commited daily

We have laws against practically everything but people still commit them even in the face of these laws?

Isnt the human law meant to eradicate all of that if it is the best we have got?

Can a man being who is able to break the same laws he gives you be seen as the final authority to the law?

cheesy cheesy
at the bolded...i edited it...lets apply it to the christian God...

He does the same thing..so?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Prays For Apostle Suleman, As He Bends To Greet Faith Adeboye / Tithe: Akpororo Blasts Daddy Freeze Again. Has This Question For Him / Which One Of The Two Is Taking Control Of Your Life ? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.