Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? (3016 Views)

My Fiancee Insists We Spend N500k Or Less On Our Wedding But I Want To Spend N1M / My Experience With A Lady That Came To Spend The Night At My Place. / Rhian Sugden Offered £250k By Russian Man To Spend The Night With Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
Religion has always bring means of segregation into our society, Telling us what to do and who not to do with.
Marriage is a Big example. The two most recognised religions in our society (Islam & Christianity) are fond of this. They tell us to love our Neighbours as our selves yet they go back to tell us not to marry outside our religion.
When you look at our society we have Co-existed with one another well, lived as neighbours, watched each other's back, helped one another when in crisis, had good times with one another. This has not happened because of our religion told us to, this has happened because of Humanity. All what happened that was listed up there is because of love and humanity is love. Religion has always brought division among man (no offense intended in that statement). If you can tolerate your neighbour practicing other religion, why can't you tolerate your wife/husband practicing other religion?!
Reasonable arguments please.
Thank you.
Cc lalasticlala farano

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by makydebbie(f): 3:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
In the long run, it will bring instability in the home. So why not avoid it in the first place?
Imagine confusing your kids with different doctrines?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by firstclassmumu: 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 3:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
makydebbie:
In the long run, it will bring instability in the home. So why not avoid it in the first place?
Imagine confusing your kids with different doctrines?
what instability?
I will allow them to choose, what will be my gain if I choose their religion? I won't be the one to impose religion on them in this case unless am selfish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 04, 2017
Both Christians and Muslims have different religious doctrines, "two captains can't sail a ship". Marry someone with same values as you do, it's safer.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benita27:
Both Christians and Muslims have different religious doctrines, "two captains can't sail a ship". Marry someone with same values as you do, it's safer.
What are these doctrines?
I will tell you a short story.
There is this my neighbour in the former house i lived.
A muslim man married to christian woman, they had two children, one male and one female, the male being the first born which later practiced islam, while the girl which is still a kid goes to church with her mother and at times goes to mosque with her father. the father and mother had no problem with that, they have been tolerating each other for years and they are still doing it. Can you explain this to me? is there something am not getting right or is there something am missing?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nomfanelo99(f): 3:59pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Religion has always bring means of segregation into our society, Telling us what to do and who not to do with.
Marriage is a Big example. The two most recognised religions in our society (Islam & Christianity) are fond of this. They tell us to love our Neighbours as our selves yet they go back to tell us not to marry outside our religion.
When you look at our society we have Co-existed with one another well, lived as neighbours, watched each other's back, helped one another when in crisis, had good times with one another. This has not happened because of our religion told us to, this has happened because of Humanity. All what happened that was listed up there is because of love and humanity is love. Religion has always brought division among man (no offense intended in that statement). If you can tolerate your neighbour practicing other religion, why can't you tolerate your wife/husband practicing other religion?!
Reasonable arguments please.
Thank you.

interesting thread
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by eph12(m): 4:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
We have had cases of it not being a problem for couples throughout their married life and also vice versa. Sometimes when our parents interfere in our choice of lifestyle or spouse it's because they're trying to prevent a disaster. Sometimes they are right other times they are wrong. But inter religious marriage can probably really work if one or both parties are not serious about their own religion

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2017
eph12:
We have had cases of it not being a problem for couples throughout their married life and also vice versa. Sometimes when our parents interfere in our choice of lifestyle or spouse it's because they're trying to prevent a disaster. Sometimes they are right other times they are wrong. But inter religious marriage can probably really work if one or both parties are not serious about their own religion
At bolded part, i agree with you partially. How about i say both party put maturity to play. you should understand my point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Moblord(m): 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
I've been thinking of this long time ago and am planning on doing that.. As for the children they'll be allowed to practice any religion among the two

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Ahmadgani(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
it depends on the way you view religion. some people see religion as restriction and whatever, as for me, I see religion as guidance and also as a way of life.

do we have Christian/Muslim goats and chickens?

you are human first before you are either a Muslim or Christian

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2017
When the love and bond is so strong and true, such petty issues as religion difference becomes outrightly inconsequential. I've not lived it myself but I got a cousin who's happily married to her high school heartthrob (a xtian)and they doing fine with their son, who goes to the Mosque with his Granny and does same to the church when he vists his father's side ... For the young king, Christain or Muslim , There is one God( His conclusion) ... Told me that in one of our few Uncle-nephew correspondences; Learning tolerance, Love and Unity in diversity in its most pristine form .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by skylane: 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2017
Uhh this is a nice topic,you are on point op when you view it from still being single,now 4 example if you are a christian and you get married to a muslim,you agree on the kids to practice at will,firstly remember that kids don't have the will power to make a choice of what religion to practice,and kids are not considered eligible to make choice 4 demselves till 18+,so its the parents that will bring them up first with a religion,and you know religion once a person has been taught from childhood,it will never depart from his/her heart,it will now become a belief,so wen mature thre be no point of listening to anyother,do u remember wen ur parents asked u if u wanted to practice the religion you are now? No!,
so imagine u have 4 kids and u n your wife agrees 2 for u 2 for her,wud you sit and listen another person telling your 2 kids what's obviously contrary to ur beliefs
How wud you feel when you want to have a family worship/fellowship and its just you and 2 of ur kids,the others are else where? And atimes question ur own beliefs (definetly 1 of them will)

now that's the reason religion forbids it the offsprings is just the matter,and religion forbids you to mislead children for it will be on ur head(thier punishment)
Except the person is willing to convert to urs then fine ull good to go
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2017
My bible made it clear "Do not be unequally yoked". That you don't want to marry outside your religion has nothing to do with love or hate.

You can't serve God and Mammon

Marriage is a spiritual union.

If as a Christian, you believe that Jesus is God and the only way to heaven. Why should such a Christian marry outside his religion? He needs a wife of same Christian faith to balance things and to help the kids in the way of the truth they believe in. Not raising up kids, where they attend church in the morning, mosque in the afternoon and okija shrine at night. That's confusion!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 4:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
skylane:
Uhh this is a nice topic,you are on point op when you view it from still being single,now 4 example if you are a christian and you get married to a muslim,you agree on the kids to practice at will,firstly remember that kids don't have the will power to make a choice of what religion to practice,and kids are not considered eligible to make choice 4 demselves till 18+,so its the parents that will bring them up first with a religion,and you know religion once a person has been taught from childhood,it will never depart from his/her heart,it will now become a belief,so wen mature thre be no point of listening to anyother,do u remember wen ur parents asked u if u wanted to practice the religion you are now? No!,
so imagine u have 4 kids and u n your wife agrees 2 for u 2 for her,wud you sit and listen another person telling your 2 kids what's obviously contrary to ur beliefs
How wud you feel when you want to have a family worship/fellowship and its just you and 2 of ur kids,the others are else where? And atimes question ur own beliefs (definetly 1 of them will)

now that's the reason religion forbids it the offsprings is just the matter,and religion forbids you to mislead children for it will be on ur head(thier punishment)
Except the person is willing to convert to urs then fine ull good to go
lol at two for me two for you. they can all practice the same religion with their mother i don't care.
Religion is man made, while God is God.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 4:58pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:
My bible made it clear "Do not be unequally yoked". That you don't want to marry outside your religion has nothing to do with love or hate.

If as a Christian, you believe that Jesus is God and the only way to heaven. Why should such a Christian marry outside his religion? He needs a wife of same Christian faith to balance things and to help the kids in the way of the truth they believe in. Not raising up kids, where they attend church in the morning, mosque in the afternoon and okija shrine at night. That's confusion!!!

hahaha. grin grin
Religion has made us selfish.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by eph12(m): 5:06pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
At bolded part, i agree with you partially. How about i say both party put maturity to play. you should understand my point.
Yea I understand but what happens when kids come into the picture? Whose religion do they follow?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by skylane: 5:07pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
lol at two for me two for you. they can all practice the same religion with their mother i don't care.
Religion is man made, while God is God.
lolz you are just saying cos u neva experience the feeling of watching ur child practising something else,that's y man....
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Pheals(f): 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

Bro pls what is mammon?

so other religions is mammon?

mammon means moola!! (money )
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2017
Pheals:
Bro pls what is mammon?

so other religions is mammon?

mammon means moola!! (money )

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ButterFrost212(f): 5:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
When the love and bond is so strong and true, such petty issues as religion difference becomes outrightly inconsequential. I've not lived it myself but I got a cousin who's happily married to her high school heartthrob (a xtian)and they doing fine with their son, who goes to the Mosque with his Granny and does same to the church when he vists his father's side ... For the young king, Christain or Muslim , There is one God( His conclusion) ... Told me that in one of our few Uncle-nephew correspondences; Learning tolerance, Love and Unity in diversity in its most pristine form .

This is the most encouraging post about the xtian/ Muslim marriage argument I've read. I mean once there's understanding and love then what else?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 5:32pm On Jan 04, 2017
ButterFrost212:

This is the most encouraging post about the xtian/ Muslim marriage argument I've read. I mean once there's understanding and love then what else?
Everything falls in line my sistuh.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Pheals(f): 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
[/quote] [quote author=bitchcrafts post=52529662]
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 5:43pm On Jan 04, 2017
Pheals:
Ehn nah, is it not funny?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Pheals(f): 5:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
Ehn nah, is it not funny?
just want u to correct me if am wrong
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 5:47pm On Jan 04, 2017
skylane:
lolz you are just saying cos u neva experience the feeling of watching ur child practising something else,that's y man....
lol i have a friend, her father is a Alhaji, while her mother is a Alhaja. But she is a Christian, in fact a devoted Christian. When i asked what was your parents reaction? She told me her father said the path of a child is different from that of his/her parents. Her father further said to her "You chose your path". is his father not reasonable? or you think the father is stupid?. She still lives under her father, and her father still pays her bills from school fees to welfare.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 5:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
Pheals:
just want u to correct me if am wrong
Ah! Me wey dull pass slowpoke go korect sharp babe like u? Ah no reach oh...
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 5:52pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
pls no derailing. strictly to the topic.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by bitchcrafts: 5:54pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
pls no derailing. strictly to the topic.
E ma binu sah, I just found that lady too captivating and arresting to ignore ni sah
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Pheals(f): 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
have a nice day then
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
bitchcrafts:
E ma binu sah, I just found that lady too captivating and arresting to ignore ni sah
use the pm instead. Thank You.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by SexyNairalander: 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2017
it has always being like that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladies Can You Marry A Guy Like Hushpuppy? / What This Doctor Found Inside Someone’s Intestine Will Leave You In Shock (PHOTO / Is My Ass Big Or Small... View It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.