Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,292 members, 7,860,700 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? (3038 Views)

My Fiancee Insists We Spend N500k Or Less On Our Wedding But I Want To Spend N1M / My Experience With A Lady That Came To Spend The Night At My Place. / Rhian Sugden Offered £250k By Russian Man To Spend The Night With Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
Great question!

Never thought i would see such a reasonable thread on R-NL. Miracles do happen.

Anyway! I think two opposing religions can coexist in the same household peacefully. Tough tho, but it can. I think its just that relationships are difficult as it is, when you add something divisive and inflammatory as religious differences, then yea.... it can make for turning a home into a jihad or crusade war. Too bad, Various sects and religious creeds have prohibited its members from intermarrying. They would rather you marry your kind and live hell on earth than marry from another religion and live peaceably.

Anyway, it takes finessing but you can raise children in a home with two or more religious or philosophical views. Teach them to be open minded! Educate and expose them to various views on religion and life, then let them make up their minds and choose their own beliefs.

Couples can do the same in fact. That is: let each other worship how they want, then come together on acommin ground and learn and grow together and most importantly be good citizens of the world. Even having same religious views does not gurantee that you will have peace in the home or see and interprete things same way.

If God wanted us all to pratice same religion, he should have not allowed humans to come up with so many of religions and denominations since he had the power to stop proliferation of religions.

But God would not mess with free choice. Why do we as humans think we cam mess with peoples freedom of religion?

Silly humans.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
What are these doctrines?
I will tell you a short story.
There is this my neighbour in the former house i lived.
A muslim man married to christian woman, they had two children, one male and one female, the male being the first born which later practiced islam, while the girl which is still a kid goes to church with her mother and at times goes to mosque with her father. the father and mother had no problem with that, they have been tolerating each other for years and they are still doing it. Can you explain this to me? is there something am not getting right or is there something am missing?
jmoore:
My bible made it clear "Do not be unequally yoked". That you don't want to marry outside your religion has nothing to do with love or hate.

You can't serve God and Mammon

Marriage is a spiritual union.

If as a Christian, you believe that Jesus is God and the only way to heaven. Why should such a Christian marry outside his religion? He needs a wife of same Christian faith to balance things and to help the kids in the way of the truth they believe in. Not raising up kids, where they attend church in the morning, mosque in the afternoon and okija shrine at night. That's confusion!!!

I am glad someone has said this.
If you must know more, you can ask any pastor for more insight.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Intrepid01(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04, 2017
There is nothing confusing in it...infact houses with both faiths have produced children with the most liberal view...they wouldhave seen the two religion from the most honest position. I can tell you thedifference btw the two religion is smaller than those mischief marketters of religion would want us to believe.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2017
Intrepid01:
There is nothing confusing in it...infact houses with both faiths have produced children with the most liberal view...they wouldhave seen the two religion from the most honest position. I can tell you thedifference btw the two religion is smaller than those mischief marketters of religion would want us to believe.
Benita27:
I am glad someone has said this.
If you must know more, you can ask any pastor for more insight.
Nkechi Give this man 8 bottles of Orijin and 3 Nkwobi.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2017
Pheals:
Bro pls what is mammon?

so other religions is mammon?

mammon means moola!! (money )
From the context of the bible, it was addressing about serving two masters at a time. All religion do not worship the same God. Anyone that says we all worship same being is a big time liar.
How can a man pray to Jesus, and the wife is praying to islamic god that doesnt recognize Jesus as God while their kids are making incantations at okija shrine? Makes no sense.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 6:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

From the context of the bible, it was addressing about serving two masters at a time. All religion do not worship the same God. Anyone that says we all worship same being is a big time liar.
How can a man pray to Jesus, and the wife is praying to islamic god that doesnt recognize Jesus as God while their kids are making incantations at okija shrine? Makes no sense.
dude Jesus is prophet Isah in Islam. so...Jesus is recognised in Islam.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 6:41pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
dude Jesus is prophet Isah in Islam. so...Jesus is recognised in Islam.
Is prophet and God the same thing? Infact, koran blasphemed against Jesus. Jesus is God and any book saying anything contrary to that is blasphemy.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Nkechi Give this man 8 bottles of Orijin and 3 Nkwobi.
My dear!, this is why no one wins an argument, you're making reference to being liberal but inasmuch as being liberal is cool and religious tolerance is what is preached everyday, a family must work in togetherness, if your spouse prays to God through Jesus Christ while you do so through Mohammed you're not working in togetherness/unity spiritually. This subject is sensitive and you must reason beyond co-existence.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 6:50pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benita27:
My dear!, this is why no one wins an argument, you're making reference to being liberal but inasmuch as being liberal is cool and religious tolerance is what is preached everyday, a family must work in togetherness, if your spouse prays to God through Jesus Christ while you do so through Mohammed you're not working in togetherness/unity spiritually. This subject is sensitive and you must reason beyond co-existence.

we keep shouting spiritual spiritual. what about a couple with the same religion and their home is like hell on earth? marriage doesn't require religion to work. this has been proven time and time again. All it does is understanding. Why do some pastors cheat on their wives?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 6:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

Is prophet and God the same thing? Infact, koran blasphemed against Jesus. Jesus is God and any book saying anything contrary to that is blasphemy.
Jesus is not God he is a prophet and son of God. Who is your pastor?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:02pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Jesus is not God he is a prophet and son of God. Who is your pastor?
Don't use the koran to tell me about Jesus.

Jesus the son and Jehovah the father are one. Jesus is God.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
we keep shouting spiritual spiritual. what about a couple with the same religion and their home is like hell on earth? marriage doesn't require religion to work. this has been proven time and time again. All it does is understanding. Why do some pastors cheat on their wives?
We do have couples with same faith who are enjoying peaceful homes, we still do have pastors who can never cheat on their spouse, now these your questions are relative...i'm not saying religious inter-marriage doesn't work, it does but have i told you it's a sin?.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by konkonbilo(m): 7:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
We are first human before been a Christian or a Muslim.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

Don't use the koran to tell me about Jesus.

Jesus the son and Jehovah the father are one. Jesus is God.
Dude i was born into a Muslim family but now am a Christian. Let me give you the definition of God: God is conceived of as the Supreme Being and principal object of faith. Jesus in the bible was said to be a prophet and son of God, God sent down to earth to save us. i ask again who is your pastor?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benita27:
We do have couples with same faith who are enjoying peaceful homes, we still do have pastors who can never cheat on their spouse, now these your questions are relative...i'm not saying religious inter-marriage doesn't work, it does but have i told you it's a sin?.
You first made it sound as if so. Religion has always had nothing to do with a happy married life, You just pointed that out. my question now is why the segregation?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Dude i was born into a Muslim family but now am a Christian. Let me give you the definition of God: God is conceived of as the Supreme Being and principal object of faith. Jesus in the bible was said to be a prophet and son of God, God sent down to earth to save us. i ask again who is your pastor?
I don't follow pastors. I follow the bible.

If you are a Christian your teachings should not be adulterated with your former religion.

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:19pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

I don't follow pastors. I follow the bible.

If you are a Christian your teachings should not be adulterated with your former religion.
it is not. You called Jesus God. How many God do we have?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:20pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
it is not. You called Jesus God. How many God do we have?
Why is a husband and wife referred to as one?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
You first made it sound as if so. Religion has always had nothing to do with a happy married life, You just pointed that out. my question now is why the segregation?
I have a maker i'm accountable to, it depends on your definition of segregation in this context cos i don't despise people from other religion.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

Why is a husband and wife referred to as one?
Dude You haven't answered my question. How many God do we have? answer that and i will answer your question.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Smellymouth: 7:26pm On Jan 04, 2017
I know from a lot of experience in this exact situation that a christian-muslim relationship can work very well..as it can turn horrible.. It completely depends on the type of people you two are. Don't exactly look at it as that, look at it as any other obstacle that two people face when they are getting married..

On that note, I will tell you that my mom is Christian and my Father is Muslim, I grew up Muslim and things are fine. I have ALOT of friends that are exactly the same. If your spouse accepts you for who you are that's all that matters..

Will problems arise with family/friends? Possibly but keep your mouth shut (like don't respond to them) and at the end of the night it only matters what he/she thinks and that your spouse is by your side...
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:29pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benita27:
I have a maker i'm accountable to, it depends on your definition of segregation in this context cos i don't despise people from other religion.
I like healthy arguments. I never learn from the people that agree with me.
But you haven't answered me. let me ask you another question. What accountability if i may ask?
Religion is telling you not to marry another religion not God. The God that Created the man practicing Islam, Created the Man practicing Christianity. if God were to be a Christian or Muslim what do you think would have happened? I want to know. smiley
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Dude You haven't answered my question. How many God do we have? answer that and i will answer your question.
Here is your answer, read carefully.

The Scriptures do not teach that there are three gods; neither do they teach that God wears three different masks while acting out the drama of history. What the Bible does teach is stated in the doctrine of the Trinity: There is one God who has revealed Himself in three persons — the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit — and these three persons are the one God.

Although this is difficult to comprehend, it is nevertheless what the Bible tells us, and it is the closest the finite mind can come to explaining the infinite mystery of the infinite God when considering the biblical statements about God’s being.

The Bible teaches that there is one God and only one God: “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!” (Deuteronomy 6:4, NASB). “There is one God” (1 Timothy 2:5, KJV). “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God beside Me’” (Isaiah 44:6, NASB).

However, even though God is one in His essential being or nature, He is also three persons. “Let us make man in our image” (Genesis 1:26, KJV). “God said, ‘Behold, the man has become like one of us’” (Genesis 3:22, RSV).

God’s plural personality is alluded to here, for He could not be talking to angels in these instances, because angels could not and did not help God create. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ, not the angels, created all things (John 1:3; Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:2).

In addition to speaking of God as one, and alluding to a plurality of God’s personality, the Scriptures are quite specific as to naming God in terms of three persons. There is a person whom the Bible calls the Father, and the Father is designated as God the Father (Galatians 1:1).

The Bible talks about a person named Jesus, or the Son, or the Word, also called God. “The Word was God …” (John 1:1, KJV). Jesus was “also calling God His own Father, making himself equal with God” (John 5:18, NASB).

There is a third person mentioned in the Scriptures called the Holy Spirit, and this person — different from the Father and the Son — is also called God (“Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit? … You have not lied to men, but to God” (Acts 5:3, 4, RSV).

The facts of the biblical teaching are these: There is one God. This one God has a plural personality. This one God is called the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit — all distinct personalities, all designated God. We are therefore led to the conclusion that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one God — the Trinity

Source>> http://www.bethinking.org/god/q-what-is-the-trinity-do-christians-worship-three-gods
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
The God that Created the man practicing Islam, Created the Man practicing Christianity. if God were to be a Christian or Muslim what do you think would have happened? I want to know. smiley
This makes no sense to me. Can you marry a ritual killer? Remember it is God that created the ritual killer.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by makydebbie(f): 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
what instability?
I will allow them to choose, what will be my gain if I choose their religion? I won't be the one to impose religion on them in this case unless am selfish.
Your opinion cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

Here is your answer, read carefully.

The Scriptures do not teach that there are three gods; neither do they teach that God wears three different masks while acting out the drama of history. What the Bible does teach is stated in the doctrine of the Trinity: There is one God who has revealed Himself in three persons — the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit — and these three persons are the one God.Although this is difficult to comprehend, it is nevertheless what the Bible tells us
i stopped reading after reading the Bold part.
What happened to John 3:16?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
I like healthy arguments. I never learn from the people that agree with me.
But you haven't answered me. let me ask you another question. What accountability if i may ask?
Religion is telling you not to marry another religion not God. The God that Created the man practicing Islam, Created the Man practicing Christian. if God were to be a Christian or Muslim what do you think would have happened? I want to know. smiley
Ok!.
As a christian i go to God through Jesus Christ: that's where my loyalty lies and my daily manual is the bible.
I hope you know God created Satan?, he didn't create himself. All men were created equally by God, but some just became rebellious to their maker. grin
Note: i'm not of the opinion that my religion is superior, but to be on a safer side: i can't have a family with divergent religions all in the name of being liberal just to satisfy your flesh.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
jmoore:

This makes no sense to me. Can you marry a ritual killer? Remember it is God that created the ritual killer.
Stop deviating from the argument. What religion promotes ritual killing of his fellow man?
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benita27:
Ok!.
As a christian i go to God through Jesus Christ: that's where my loyalty lies and my daily manual is the bible.
I hope you know God created Satan?, he didn't create himself. All men were created equally by God, but some just became rebellious to their maker. grin
Note: i'm not of the opinion that my religion is superior, but to be on a safer side: i can't have a family with divergent religions all in the name of being liberal just to satisfy your flesh.
You are making it to look as if am forcing inter-religion marriage on the whole world grin
You keep connering yourself in this argument. God Created all of us but we Humans have segregated ourselves by means of religion.
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by ORIJIN201(m): 7:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
makydebbie:
Your opinion cool
You didn't even answer my question grin
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by jmoore(m): 7:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Stop deviating from the argument. What religion promotes ritual killing of his fellow man?
Why are you discriminating? Do you know how many religion we have in this world? undecided
Re: Why Do We Allow Religion Dictate Who We Spend The Rest Of Our Life With? by BabaRamota1980: 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2017
ORIJIN201:
Religion has always bring means of segregation into our society, Telling us what to do and who not to do with.
Marriage is a Big example. The two most recognised religions in our society (Islam & Christianity) are fond of this. They tell us to love our Neighbours as our selves yet they go back to tell us not to marry outside our religion.
When you look at our society we have Co-existed with one another well, lived as neighbours, watched each other's back, helped one another when in crisis, had good times with one another. This has not happened because of our religion told us to, this has happened because of Humanity. All what happened that was listed up there is because of love and humanity is love. Religion has always brought division among man (no offense intended in that statement). If you can tolerate your neighbour practicing other religion, why can't you tolerate your wife/husband practicing other religion?!
Reasonable arguments please.
Thank you.
Cc lalasticlala farano

OP,
this "WE" you refer to does not apply to Yorubas.

We, Yorubas marry irregardless of faith...we only ask that you assimilate into our culture and become a Yoruba. Once you become Yoruba everything else is smooth.

No group loves honestly and sincerely like Yorubas.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Being In A Relationship And Being Single, Which One Gives You Joy The More? / The Most Beautiful Words You Can Tell Your Guy/girl? / Doggy Style Is The Most Dangerous Sex Position — Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.