Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only (51744 Views)

Madonna University Bans Tablets / Benue State University Bans Thick Beard (Photo) / I Need Help With My Direct Entry At Umar Musa Yaradua University, Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Mailthaddeus(m): 12:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
Khd95:
Does covenant,redeemers university etc allow muslim gathering

U just want to make trouble where nd when there is none.

I passs

This shows how retarded you are. How on Earth can u compare a University built by a church to that built by the government on such issue? The latter is built by Tax payers money for God's sake
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Positivepoint(m): 12:56pm On Jan 22, 2017
epapa:

You are diverting from the subject matter. Is there any law or "memo" stopping them?

Yes the whole southeast both govt and people are stopping. Prove me wrong by naming one chief iman.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Equiano: 12:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

Just name one chief iman that u know in the east or any promenent mosque or Islamic school. Also pls state any university in the southeast that have Muslim student association?
UNN have a gigantic mosque in it with a very active student association from undergraduate to phd level.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by padyt007(m): 12:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
Khd95:

I passs

Is Covenant, redeemers University... public or government own....last time I checked there are private schools
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Positivepoint(m): 12:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
epapa:

The question is not whether there is a mosque or chief imam. Is there any law or "memo" prohibiting such?
Over to you

Yes there are laws the does not allow a community to sell their land to Muslims to own or build houses or place of worship in the east. You know what I say is true.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Osu175(m): 1:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
Asiwaju9ja:

Bro I get and feel your Pain. The difference between us and dem is that WE THINK, THEY DON'T. That same kind of thing has been said in the SOUTH, but because of our Independent Mindset, some people no go heed your call. But out there, THEY DON"T THINK. They Just follow like their COWS.

All the SHARIA thing in the NORTH, we can Practise in the SOUTH(Not Sharia o) But our own form of Christian Doctrines. But for where we no go do am. because of Civilization and Education.
everything you just said is true sir and i agree with you, but i just pray we stop this MUMU behavior because even God wont be happy with it.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Aliyu333: 1:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
betterABIAstate:
are covenant, redeemers federal universities? Umar musa university is a federal university and should not create a religious dichotomy.
well am not saying this should make it right, but UMYUK is a state university. FED- DUTSIN-MA is the federal university in katsina. Again there is probably no Christian association at the time of the release, we all know Katsina is 99% muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Montaque(m): 1:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
Asiwaju9ja:

Why as a country we accepted Shari'a? It is the same principle.

I hope you understood my explanation on the illegality of the state university banning all religious organisation except islam?
If you do, let me know so we can enter into another domain, ie. Of sharia laws in the Northern state.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by epapa(m): 1:02pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

Yes the whole southeast both govt and people are stopping. Prove me wrong by naming one chief iman.
You made an allegation. It is on you to supply proof. That is an elementary aspect of debate. We have a memo in the case at hand and nothing with regards to your allegation. So point to a law or memo that stops or restricts islamic worship in the south east
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Raphael81(m): 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
abdulkayus:

Umaru Musa Yaradua University is a state university nt FG. They also has FG university built during GEJ time. UMY University was formally Katsina state University, it was established during late Umaru Musa Yaradua time as Katsina governor. Katsina state university was renamed UMYU to immortalised Late Umaru Musa Yaradua.
Although wat dey did is wrong from my own perspective.

You are a good Aboki
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Rilwayne001: 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
Chapter 1, Part 2: Section 10 of the Nigerian Law states that:

The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion

So those saying Kastina is a Muslim state and that they have the right to promulgate any law that favors a particular religion and not the other — thereby denying them of their freedom of association, must be high of weed. sad

1 Like

Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by epapa(m): 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

Yes there are laws the does not allow a community to sell their land to Muslims to own or build houses or place of worship in the east. You know what I say is true.
Please mention or point us to such laws
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Aliyu333: 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
Built2last:

It is a federal university built with Tax payers money.

FYI, I left university 13 years ago. Not even my children will attend such school. Am only concerned because this is pure religious discrimination in a secular state with constitutional democracy
well to correct your first statement, UMYUK is a state university.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Raphael81(m): 1:07pm On Jan 22, 2017
mvem:
They never banned christain gathering or churches...from the memo they said only the muslim association is allowed but the topic does not reflect that....Am not supporting what it says but try not to misinform people...i see no ban of worship from the memo only ban of religious association...

U are a bad aboki
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 22, 2017
Montaque:

Section 10 of the Constitution.
"The government of the federation or of the state shall adopt any religion as state religion."
I hope u will see the error in your assertion.

You meant 'shall not'

But am yet to see this news on Vanguard or any reputable news site, this could be another propaganda
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by kdmi(m): 1:09pm On Jan 22, 2017
The best way to react to this issue is for a university in a Christian dominated state like plateau,Benue,Taraba,Enugu,Bayelsa or any south or eastern state to follow suit,by banning all religion activities and allow Christian only,then we allow the federal government to decide,but if we allow CAN or any leader to talk we will loose,this is the
only language they understand, iam from the north,I know them very well.Just do to them double what they do to you,them will understand better.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by hollywater: 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2017
Khd95:

I passs
Covenant university is a private university and not federal university take note.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Raphael81(m): 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2017
Shafiiimran99:

Same as Christian, have u forgot what ur colonial master did to Islam and Africa in general in the name of Christianity

You speak like a member of Boko Haram, shame on u, u hate Christianity and u dey go school? Slowpoke
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Zi: 1:11pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

Just name one chief iman that u know in the east or any promenent mosque or Islamic school. Also pls state any university in the southeast that have Muslim student association?
My alma mata UNN has a mosque inside the school premises and Muslim Students Association and they operate freely.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by ALAYORMII: 1:11pm On Jan 22, 2017
Khd95:

I passs

Convenant and Redeemers Universities are privately owned while the University under discussion is government owned
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Zi: 1:12pm On Jan 22, 2017
kin8744:
is this true?
Check for yourself and see. Its over a year now
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Raphael81(m): 1:12pm On Jan 22, 2017
U be typical aboki
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by ismail09: 1:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
castrokins:
Can You Imagine This?

But You People Said They Were Not About Islamising The Country Abi?

One Nigeria Is A Bigger Ruse Than I Thought

Why u ppl are negatively so sensitive about Islam like that. Everything is about Islamizing & Islamizing.

If d info is truth then u need to ask WHY before ur comment, because if u look at d info well u will see other organisations banned as well, afterall there are Christians among the staff. So talk to ur senses.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Raphael81(m): 1:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
lukency:
Do you have muslim associations in madona university,redeemers university,land mark university,convenant university and host of other christian owned universities.Some will not even give admision to muslims

Do u understand the meaning of private and Government?
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Answer my question bro, why should their organization be banned? Where is the freedom of association?

If you can't answer this^, then know that the school decision is wrong.

I don't know their reasons for this. But isn't matter of Islamization or compulsion.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by temmy2103(f): 1:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
freeze001:
Do not resort to lies just to prove some dead point.

Dunno why I should do that, I'm not getting paid for it. Make your research and prove me wrong
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by shamsal: 1:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
The authorities of the Umaru Yar’Ádua University, Katsina, have denied discriminating against Christian students in the approval granted a students religious association to operate on its campus.
The Acting Dean of Student Affairs of the University, Sulaiman Kankara, had in January 17 memo informed students of a new guideline for the registration of clubs and associations in the institution.
In the circular, Dr. Kankara indicated that participation in clubs and associations, including departmental ones, were strictly optional and that no student should be compelled to pay dues.
He also outlawed the formation of tribal and local government associations in the university.
But the controversial part of the memo which made the document to go viral was the dean’s pronouncement that the “Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) is the only religious association allowed to operate on campus.”
After the memo was shared on social media, the university came under ferocious attacks from many Nigerians, with some commentators saying the guideline was part of government’s plot to Islamise Nigeria.
But when contacted on Sunday morning, Dr. Kankara said that aspect of the guideline was actually targeted at Islamic groups which were beginning to mushroom on campus, creating division among students of the same faith.
The dean said, “Actually there is one misconception in the memo. But the fact of the matter is that in Umaru Yar’Ádua University, there is no association known as Christian Students Association.

“There is one religious association and subsidiary Islamic students associations like the Tijjanniya Students Movement in Nigeria, Academic Forum of Islamic Movement in Nigeria and many associations like that.
“They are Islamic students association. So what we want is to have a single union which will be the mouthpiece of muslim students and that is the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria.
“It has nothing to do with any Christian group because up till now, I have not received any application requesting registration of Christian Students Society.
“And once they do that, we are ready to register them. Even as at last week, we said the two religious group to be recognised by the university will be the Muslim one and one from Christian side.
“Up till now we are to receive any application for the registration of any Christian association in the university from any group."

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/221208-katsina-university-says-memo-religious-groups-campus-targeted-muslims-not-christians.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by temmy2103(f): 1:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
betterABIAstate:
its a lie. You are a born liar
Sorry, I'm not like you. Make ur research
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Junior66(m): 1:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

And I guess the Muslim are well accommodated in the southeast. How come we 've archbishop of sokoto but no chief iman of enugu or beyelsa or anambara? Kindly prove me wrong by posting the name of 1 chief iman in the southeast eastern Nigeria.
google this man's name!
The Deputy Secretary-General of the
Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic
Affairs, NSCIA, Adam Idoko, has been
kidnapped.
Idoko is also the Chief Imam of the
University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Rilwayne001: 1:17pm On Jan 22, 2017
FriendChoice:

I don't know their reasons for this. But isn't matter of Islamization or compulsion.

What other reason could it have been? It definitely is jor.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Rilwayne001: 1:18pm On Jan 22, 2017
shamsal:
The authorities of the Umaru Yar’Ádua University, Katsina, have denied discriminating against Christian students in the approval granted a students religious association to operate on its campus.
The Acting Dean of Student Affairs of the University, Sulaiman Kankara, had in January 17 memo informed students of a new guideline for the registration of clubs and associations in the institution.
In the circular, Dr. Kankara indicated that participation in clubs and associations, including departmental ones, were strictly optional and that no student should be compelled to pay dues.
He also outlawed the formation of tribal and local government associations in the university.
But the controversial part of the memo which made the document to go viral was the dean’s pronouncement that the “Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) is the only religious association allowed to operate on campus.”
After the memo was shared on social media, the university came under ferocious attacks from many Nigerians, with some commentators saying the guideline was part of government’s plot to Islamise Nigeria.
But when contacted on Sunday morning, Dr. Kankara said that aspect of the guideline was actually targeted at Islamic groups which were beginning to mushroom on campus, creating division among students of the same faith.
The dean said, “Actually there is one misconception in the memo. But the fact of the matter is that in Umaru Yar’Ádua University, there is no association known as Christian Students Association.

“There is one religious association and subsidiary Islamic students associations like the Tijjanniya Students Movement in Nigeria, Academic Forum of Islamic Movement in Nigeria and many associations like that.
“They are Islamic students association. So what we want is to have a single union which will be the mouthpiece of muslim students and that is the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria.
“It has nothing to do with any Christian group because up till now, I have not received any application requesting registration of Christian Students Society.
“And once they do that, we are ready to register them. Even as at last week, we said the two religious group to be recognised by the university will be the Muslim one and one from Christian side.
“Up till now we are to receive any application for the registration of any Christian association in the university from any group."

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/221208-katsina-university-says-memo-religious-groups-campus-targeted-muslims-not-christians.html

Better.

Seun should send this to FP to correct the wrong impression.
Re: Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only by Junior66(m): 1:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
Positivepoint:

Do u know the percentage of Christians in north west where katsina is Less than 1 percentage. Who told u east has no Muslim population it is just that the govt and people frustrated them and refuse to allow them worship freely. They don't even sell land to them to even build houses not to talk of mosques or schools. Let be fair & truthful in discussions
The Deputy Secretary-General of the
Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic
Affairs, NSCIA, Adam Idoko, has been
kidnapped.
Idoko is also the Chief Imam of the
University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply)

ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government / 300 Level UNICAL Student Dies In Her Sleep / See How University Girls Get Their Daily Bread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.