Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (695657 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2017
happyday:

Plus, it definitely helps we're Nigerians. We 'get' each other. So, start connecting.

PS: The 'Search' function on Nairaland doesn't work quite well. Except you go right through the transcripts. And see who's currently attending your school. Hopefully, we have a decent database of something along those lines pretty soon.

That takes care of your arrival, and what not. Remember, ask questions. Don't be shy, don't hesitate. You never know who's gonna say 'yes', or 'no'.

Next up, studying in America comes with its whole set of challenges. I wish I had braced up for them, prior to arrival.
I used LinkedIn to connect with the guy that accommodated me for 3 weeks. I also met my classmates on LinkedIn and we started talking prior to my arrival. The problem is most folks are too lazy to search, you just want someone to link them up.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
but is like segunojo866 is getting famous here o

no prize for been famous here oo grin

Anyone I guess is allowed , As long as you don't clog the thread by posting every second on just about anything

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
Scholarship available for undergraduate student with waec gp of 3.0/4.0 scale
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:40pm On Jun 02, 2017
LagosismyHome:

no prize for been famous here oo grin

Anyone I guess is allowed , As long as you don't clog the thread by posting every second on just about anything
hahahahahahahahaha. My visa interview na next month o. I need prayers from everyone in nairaland o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:

I used LinkedIn to connect with the guy that accommodated me for 3 weeks. I also met my classmates on LinkedIn and we started talking prior to my arrival. The problem is most folks are too lazy to search, you just want someone to link them up.
u re right o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Folsy(f): 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
iCool:

You can schedule a pickup with DHL Nigeria for about N22,000. I did it from Port Harcourt.

They will go to your uncle's USA home or office address to pick it up and then deliver to you at your own designated Nigerian address. Takes 3-4 business days.

Someone here used Courier Plus for same service, cost him N16k from a Lagos location.

I'd like DHL to pick up my i20 from a NewYork address and send it to Lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
hahahahahahahahaha. My visa interview na next month o. I need prayers from everyone in nairaland o

but you said it very easy to get a US student visa which day here .......... You be just fine wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:45pm On Jun 02, 2017
LagosismyHome:

but you said it very easy to get a US student visa which day here .......... You be just fine wink
with God it is easy o but without God na serious problem

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2017
iCool:

You can schedule a pickup with DHL Nigeria for about N22,000. I did it from Port Harcourt.

They will go to your uncle's USA home or office address to pick it up and then deliver to you at your own designated Nigerian address. Takes 3-4 business days.

Someone here used Courier Plus for same service, cost him N16k from a Lagos location.

At 22,000 this is a very good deal by DHL Nigeria because to send from the US to Lagos will cost you more going through DHL US

Students should use this for their i20 than eshipglobal
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2017
Why do nigerians fast and pray for america visa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by zendmann: 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hi ladies and gentlemen, My visa was approved on Tuesday 30th may 2017, in abuja us embassy by 7:30a.m. I checked my appointment page today to see if my passport is ready for collection only to see "your passport is still with the us embassy.." is it normal considering today is suppose to make it three or four working days. beside I'm suppose to collect it in abuja.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by obaxlove(m): 4:49pm On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=Ardedaryor post=57120761][/quote]

Thank you sirs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sweeny(f): 4:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
happyday:
Congrats to everyone who's got their F1's'; thanks for keeping faith with the process. If you're waiting, I also wish you the best. I figure people could use some help here coming to the US this Fall, (or whenever you want to come). So here goes. Hopefully, we can switch to the other (Life in the USA) thread when y'all get here.

First, reach out to folks in your school to help you with arrival. What plane to fly with, schedule airport pick up, housing arrangements, and settling in a place within few days of arrival. Schools have the Int'l Student offices that would help you do most of these, so don't hesitate to shoot them emails, ask them about anything and everything you're worried about as an Int'l student. They won't be surprised, in fact they would be excited you're curious and eager to come. So, ask away!

Speaking of Nigerian folks in your school, Linkedin works great! Google 'Research Assistant' 'School Name' Nigeria Linkedin ; you can use other variations like 'Teaching Assistant', 'Graduate Teaching Assistant', "Master's Student", 'Graduate Student', 'Graduate Research Assistant', 'PhD candidate', 'Doctoral candidate', 'PhD Student;, 'Post doctoral candidate' and so forth.

So, if I'm looking to connect with Nigerian grad students @ Stanford, I'll use, for instance, research assistant Stanford Nigeria Linkedin
on Google. This way, you can make solid connections, ask for their help, and if they can't help you, refer you to someone who can.

"Why should they help you?" Good question. I'm glad I asked. Here's why, in my opinion. They know what it feels like to be exactly where you're right now. And more importantly, they ask for help everyday. At least, I ask for help every single day. It therefore goes without reason, that getting people to help me means I'm ready to assist others as well.

Plus, it definitely helps we're Nigerians. We 'get' each other. So, start connecting.

PS: The 'Search' function on Nairaland doesn't work quite well. Except you go right through the transcripts. And see who's currently attending your school. Hopefully, we have a decent database of something along those lines pretty soon.

That takes care of your arrival, and what not. Remember, ask questions. Don't be shy, don't hesitate. You never know who's gonna say 'yes', or 'no'.

Next up, studying in America comes with its whole set of challenges. I wish I had braced up for them, prior to arrival.
Nice one there, thanks. What kind of challenges please?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sweeny(f): 4:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
more testimony by monday in jesus name.
Im fine. How are you!?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
zendmann:
Hi ladies and gentlemen, My visa was approved on Tuesday 30th may 2017, in abuja us embassy by 7:30a.m. I checked my appointment page today to see if my passport is ready for collection only to see "your passport is still with the us embassy.." is it normal considering today is suppose to make it three or four working days. beside I'm suppose to collect it in abuja.
post your interview transcript to help others here

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
Sweeny:
Im fine. How are you!?
fine dear. Love to knw u better
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sidechick22(f): 4:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
okay,I've read all of part 10 and part 11 in a short while and I'm just getting started.so many great folks on here.#spring2018 coming through!!!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
He just joined NL
segunojo866:
post your interview transcript to help others here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
You found your "fit" schools, passed the GRE, may be TOEFL, and applied. You hustled for "funding", kept refreshing your inbox for that good news. And here we are! You got in! Yaaay!! Wait, not yet uhuru. You needed to interview for a visa. You got that too, and now you can't wait to start flexing, enjoying, and studying in the Heaven that is United States of America!!!

OK may be not exactly paradise, but you can make it easy on yourself, if you plan ahead for these. Contrary to what you might think, people fail to do well in classes or in social circles, not because they aren't smart. Yes, they are. But, studying in a new country where, you're like the odd one out, could be something to pull off.

I bet there are a whole lot of issues affecting Nigerian students in the US, but may be due to my background, I'll be discussing 4 major ones. I don't have the solutions to these problems, and I hope others would weigh in as well to add or suggest better ways.

1. Food: So you've seen the sandwiches and hamburger in the movies, and you're thinking may be it's a good idea to ditch these local amala, fufu and eba, for something so attractive and yummy. But, call me a local dude, but of all the restaurants I've been to here, I keep comparing each dish to the local Nigerian foods. For instance, I can't really understand why someone would take Raising Bran or cornflakes for breakfast, bologna sandwich for lunch, and a dinner where the major edible things are the leaves they call 'salad'. The worst part, they keep asking you if you're enjoying your meal. Before nko, I'm so freaking enjoying this! Another plate please!!

I should have brought more Nigerian raw foods.

2. Weather: Depending on your state, the weather here is a whole beast on its own, and you could even use it as an icebreaker to start a convo with a stranger. You can't not monitor the weather reports. Around here, it might be visibly sunny, and then it starts raining. Heavily. Now you're wishing you brought a jacket to class, or an umbrella at least. And if it's really hot outside, the ACs in classes will be super high, that it would have made sense to come to class today in layers of clothing, or you're shivering already. It gets worse if you're the only one like this, cos others are 'born here' and don't feel a damn thing!

Weather is a big deal, and you should prepare by checking what the weather's gonna be like in your state this fall.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Chinewon88(m): 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
Why do nigerians fast and pray for america visa?

When will you quit posting everything that comes into your head? I get that you may be nervous because of your upcoming interview. Relax! Or better still, go get laid.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:
God bless you, this is how our people behave

It tiring reminding them.... they forget to post but remember to come back for questions
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:02pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:

Linkedin works great. May be not @ bolded. I think using the right keywords matters.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2017
happyday:
You found your "fit" schools, passed the GRE, may be TOEFL, and applied. You hustled for "funding", kept refreshing your inbox for that good news. And here we are! You got in! Yaaay!! Wait, not yet uhuru. You needed to interview for a visa. You got that too, and now you can't wait to start flexing, enjoying, and studying in the Heaven that is United States of America!!!

Also most people spend the first few months calculating everything back to naira .... while that is good to keep your budget in check

You ended up feeling sad when you buy things because it might not be so expensive in dollars but in naira it will look so so expensive . You wont even be able to eat something in peace or buy some things freely grin . Gradually with time or when you start earning in dollars then the urge to convert goes away

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2017
I'm just telling you the obvious
happyday:

Linkedin works great. May be not @ bolded. I think using the right keywords matters.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:09pm On Jun 02, 2017
Lol, so I called my parents yesterday that I went to get glasses for $300. My mum exclaimed!
By the way, the clinic you recommended is so far from my location so I went ahead with what I have.
LagosismyHome:

Also most people spend the first few months calculating everything back to naira .... while that is good to keep your budget in check

You ended up feeling sad when you buy things because it might not be so expensive in dollars but in naira it will look so so expensive . You wont even be able to eat something in peace or buy some things freely grin . Gradually with time or when you start earning in dollars then the urge to convert goes away
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by switcyndy(f): 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
Good Afternoon House,

Please i will be going to University Of Nebraska at Kearney this fall and i need contact of anybody in the school or anybody that can help link me to somebody in that school. I will really appreciate all the help i can get biko.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Ragnorak: 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:

Check with your prospective school,some schools allow you to upload unofficial transcripts during your application,some accept only official transcripts.
Yes,you can send GRE scores before applying
Thank you sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
This your moniker though
Sidechick22:
okay,I've read all of part 10 and part 11 in a short while and I'm just getting started.so many great folks on here.#spring2018 coming through!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omilaomila(m): 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
Food! Food! Food! Very important. Do not do "big boy no dey carry egusi and crayfish travel". Eventually, hunger will beat "big boy" and he will start to look for African / Hispanic store & even Walmart okra will be like magic to him. We have seen it happen. Take as much as you can carry.
happyday:

OK may be not exactly paradise, but you can make it easy on yourself, if you plan ahead for these. Contrary to what you might think, people fail to do well in classes or in social circles, not because they aren't smart. Yes, they are. But, studying in a new country where, you're like the odd one out, could be something to pull off.

I bet there are a whole lot of issues affecting Nigerian students in the US, but may be due to my background, I'll be discussing 4 major ones. I don't have the solutions to these problems, and I hope others would weigh in as well to add or suggest better ways.

1. Food: So you've seen the sandwiches and hamburger in the movies, and you're thinking may be it's a good idea to ditch these local amala, fufu and eba, for something so attractive and yummy. But, call me a local dude, but of all the restaurants I've been to here, I keep comparing each dish to the local Nigerian foods. For instance, I can't really understand why someone would take Raising Bran or cornflakes for breakfast, bologna sandwich for lunch, and a dinner where the major edible things are the leaves they call 'salad'. The worst part, they keep asking you if you're enjoying your meal. Before nko, I'm so freaking enjoying this! Another plate please!!

I should have brought more Nigerian raw foods.

2. Weather: Depending on your state, the weather here is a whole beast on its own, and you could even use it as an icebreaker to start a convo with a stranger. You can't not monitor the weather reports. Around here, it might be visibly sunny, and then it starts raining. Heavily. Now you're wishing you brought a jacket to class, or an umbrella at least. And if it's really hot outside, the ACs in classes will be super high, that it would have made sense to come to class today in layers of clothing, or you're shivering already. It gets worse if you're the only one like this, cos others are 'born here' and don't feel a damn thing!

Weather is a big deal, and you should prepare by checking what the weather's gonna be like in your state this fall.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Haha, I'm sure it will pass. Especially if you're 'eating out', when your salad is 12 95! Ordinary leaves from the backyard!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Tunnyz(m): 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
zendmann:
Well you didn't even post nuin for others to tap from. .But then you can still check later

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.