Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (695093 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 10, 2017
Libber:
please beautiful people, what is the difference between statement of purpose and personal statement
In my opinion, they're both the same thing. A note of caution though; some schools will require that you follow some set guidelines on what to include in SOP/PS while others will give you the luxury of freestyle. Be careful to check the requirements of each school so you'd tailor your SOP accordingly.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 10, 2017
Libber:
please beautiful people, what is the difference between statement of purpose and personal statement
No difference!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by wealth360: 10:37am On Feb 10, 2017
I want to appreciate the likes of Walspring and other Altruist in the house for the discounted GRE test payment. am a beneficiary.
I just want to make a point on the GRE exam. Please if you are planning to write please do your research very well on where to write it. initially i was planning to take the test with BY MAFIT with just 50K until I was selected by walspring and he paid for me under ETS and am so glad I did. Why did i say so? If you check the BY MAFIT site you wont see the main venues for the different date posted on the site until you register with them and I check very well on ETS and discovered they have venues allotted for the different date.

PLEASE NOTE: the remaining test date on ETS for this month is FEB 12 and 13th. and mind you on the 12th is in Lagos here while on the 13th is in cotonou. and again throughout the month of march, all the test date and venues for GRE is not in lagos or Nigeria but in COTONOU.

Please if you are registering under BY MAFIT please call them to be sure of the date and venues very well before you register with them.

Thanks to Walspring and His team. God bless una so much.........Numbers 6 vs 23-27 for you guys
paid 47000naira instead of $205

Grateful

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 11:17am On Feb 10, 2017
wealth360:
I want to appreciate the likes of Walspring and other Altruist in the house for the discounted GRE test payment. am a beneficiary.
I just want to make a point on the GRE exam. Please if you are planning to write please do your research very well on where to write it. initially i was planning to take the test with BY MAFIT with just 50K until I was selected by walspring and he paid for me under ETS and am so glad I did. Why did i say so? If you check the BY MAFIT site you wont see the main venues for the different date posted on the site until you register with them and I check very well on ETS and discovered they have venues allotted for the different date.

PLEASE NOTE: the remaining test date on ETS for this month is FEB 12 and 13th. and mind you on the 12th is in Lagos here while on the 13th is in cotonou. and again throughout the month of march, all the test date and venues for GRE is not in lagos or Nigeria but in COTONOU.

Please if you are registering under BY MAFIT please call them to be sure of the date and venues very well before you register with them.

Thanks to Walspring and His team. God bless una so much.........Numbers 6 vs 23-27 for you guys
paid 47000naira instead of $205

Grateful
baba ets updates centers timely in different countries... The date and venue is a germane point you raised and an issue with them, but other things are good to go

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 10, 2017
Libber:

Same thing - just that different schools call them different things. They should be able to provide you with more information on what they are actually looking for in your statement.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Temple1288(m): 12:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
LagosNIV:

Same thing - just that different schools call them different things. They should be able to provide you with more information on what they are actually looking for in your statement.
LagosNIV:

Please, I have this question to ask...
I've known this man who's from America (Mississippi State) and his family for 2 years----through the internet and now they want me to come over to the USA.. I just graduated from Sec school..
He was talking about adoption, but I never considered that because my parents are still alive and I'm past 18... I was sent N100,000 for a Visa Application, but promised to send me a ticket money once I'm done and expect I come to America before June..
So please, don't be offended---- what are the necessary steps I need to take and what type of Visa do you advise me to apply?

I haven't been to the Embassy before nor applied for a visa, I only have an International Passport which I had last year.. So I beg you in the name of God advice me on what and how to go about this.. Thank you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Scholastica16: 12:17pm On Feb 10, 2017
Libber:

To add to what has already been said: some schools view statements of purpose as encompassing of personal and academic statements while some others expect you to discriminate between the two.

While personal statements may involve personal information including extracurricular activities, personal challenges and internal motivation for wanting graduate study. Academic statements focus more on one's academic history, challenges, achievements and motivation for wanting graduate study.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2017
Libber:

PS is usually for undergrad apps while SoP for graduate apps.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 1:08pm On Feb 10, 2017
Temple1288:

I've known this man who's from America (Mississippi State) and his family for 2 years----through the internet and now they want me to come over to the USA.. I just graduated from Sec school..
He was talking about adoption, but I never considered that because my parents are still alive and I'm past 18... I was sent N100,000 for a Visa Application, but promised to send me a ticket money once I'm done and expect I come to America before June..
So please, don't be offended---- what are the necessary steps I need to take and what type of Visa do you advise me to apply?

I haven't been to the Embassy before nor applied for a visa, I only have an International Passport which I had last year.. So I beg you in the name of God advice me on what and how to go about this.. Thank you!

Wrong thread. Go to ask the vo thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2669622/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s

Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Temple1288(m): 1:23pm On Feb 10, 2017
imperiouxx:

Wrong thread. Go to ask the vo thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2669622/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s

Best of luck.

Thank you so much...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 2:34pm On Feb 10, 2017
Libber, it depends on the school.
When I applied to MTU,I wrote both PS and SOP and there are guidelines on how to go about it so check with your school.
In the PS I wrote,they asked about the challenges I've faced and how I was able to come out on top,places I've demonstrated leadership skills,extracurricular activities and how their impact in making me a better person.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by kokoboy4life(m): 3:12pm On Feb 10, 2017
Good day to everyone I want to ask is it okay for me to send photocopy of my degree certificate to Wes by Email has anyone on here does that before.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by charliejose: 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hey guys! does anyone have any info about university of central Florida? and anyone studying there? does it have a good grad school? and i noticed it's the largest school in the US in terms of population. anyone? please cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by charliejose: 3:51pm On Feb 10, 2017
charliejose:
Hey guys! does anyone have any info about university of central Florida? and anyone studying there? does it have a good grad school? and i noticed it's the largest school in the US in terms of population. anyone? please cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 4:55pm On Feb 10, 2017
kokoboy4life:
Good day to everyone I want to ask is it okay for me to send photocopy of my degree certificate to Wes by Email has anyone on here does that before.

I think their email is for enquiries not a way of obtaining evaluation materials.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 10, 2017
Scholastica16:

To add to what has already been said: some schools view statements of purpose as encompassing of personal and academic statements while some others expect you to discriminate between the two.

While personal statements may involve personal information including extracurricular activities, personal challenges and internal motivation for wanting graduate study. Academic statements focus more on one's academic history, challenges, achievements and motivation for wanting graduate study.
You do not have to confuse this person. It's PS or SOP. Nothing like academic statements.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 10, 2017
Temple1288:

You need to make some research on your own before asking some kind of questions.

It's apparent that you're an intending immigrant and already demonstrated it here to the VO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Scholastica16: 6:37pm On Feb 10, 2017
DeeTus:
You do not have to confuse this person. It's PS or SOP. Nothing like academic statements.

Michigan State University begs to differ.

https://www.egr.msu.edu/academics/graduate/academic-personal-statements-guidelines

Statement of Purpose (that Purpose could be Academic, Personal or both).

If Academic, you would limit your essay to your academic experiences for instance. That you play basketball leisurely or you solve puzzles to counter stress would be extraneous information. All they want to know is, I read X engineering. My project was on Y numerical methods, my GPA was 4.9 etc.

If Personal, you are allowed to tell them how your father suffering a stroke or being an indigent student made you maladapt to the curriculum or environment thus frustrating your quest for a firstclass degree. You may choose to inform them how succeeding in graduate school is a promise you made your grandmum before she passed on.

Also, some schools ask you to present a statement of purpose but when you look at the guidelines they would have both academic and personal posers. You can look it up.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by kokoboy4life(m): 7:03pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hello Thanks for the reponse have confirmed that by myself but do you know other means I can use to get the photocopy of my degree certificate across to WES because UPS and FEDEX both have outrageous charges and it's just a piece of paper, am thinking maybe I should postal mail for it. Someone should help me on this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by seeker88(m): 7:06pm On Feb 10, 2017
kokoboy4life:
No, you would have to scan a clear copy of d original and send to them via fax. Get their fax digit from their site and use this free fax service to send your certificate to them. With this, they'd receive ur certificate very fast at no cost. Below is the link to d free fax services: https://www.myfax.com/free/
Remember to include your reference number in your fax messages.
This worked for me...
Cheers!

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Temple1288(m): 7:20pm On Feb 10, 2017
DeeTus:
You need to make some research on your own before asking some kind of questions.

It's apparent that you're an intending immigrant and already demonstrated it here to the VO.

Thank you very much..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:32pm On Feb 10, 2017
Scholastica16:

Michigan State University begs to differ.

https://www.egr.msu.edu/academics/graduate/academic-personal-statements-guidelines

Statement of Purpose (that Purpose could be Academic, Personal or both).

If Academic, you would limit your essay to your academic experiences for instance. That you play basketball leisurely or you solve puzzles to counter stress would be extraneous information. All they want to know is, I read X engineering. My project was on Y numerical methods, my GPA was 4.9 etc.

If Personal, you are allowed to tell them how your father suffering a stroke or being an indigent student made you maladapt to the curriculum or environment thus frustrating your quest for a firstclass degree. You may choose to inform them how succeeding in graduate school is a promise you made your grandmum before she passed on.

Also, some schools ask you to present a statement of purpose but when you look at the guidelines they would have both academic and personal posers. You can look it up.
No problem. I suppose this is new. The only one I know is PS or SOP. When writing it, you just have to include your hobby and of course, link it up.

You also need to talk about your academic achievements in a pragmatic way blah blah blah.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2017

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mrsmith11(m): 8:37pm On Feb 10, 2017
iCool:
@House.
@TeamFall2017.
@Electronic. Your own deh come.

I just got an Acceptance letter from Lamar University, Texas for their Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Program.

Wasn't expecting anything so soon. 1 out of 5 applications, 4 more to go.

Sooooo early, finished applying about 3weeks ago.

I was offered a $1,000 annual scholarship + I'll only pay in-state tuition just like I wanted.

Electronic, waiting for your good news!

I pm you.
Please I like to know what qualifies you for the in-state tuition fee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by iCool(m): 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2017
imperiouxx:

I know how this feels just like when I applied to 12 programs and got called for an interview within 1 month by the most recent program I applied to among them.

Congrats!

12 programs was a whole lot.

Thanks boss.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by yemiseun2020: 9:44pm On Feb 10, 2017
@Walspring. I will also like to be part of this opportunity/offer of 50% on GRE test. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by iCool(m): 9:45pm On Feb 10, 2017
mrsmith11:

I pm you.
Please I like to know what qualifies you for the in-state tuition fee

I put up my profile a few days ago.

They have a priority deadline of mid April, I applied mid January so they took me as seriously as I took them.

I was offered a 1k scholarship bundled with a tuition waiver.

I just saw your pm on NL, no mail in my box yet. Network is terrible where I am.

You can mail me on icoolnaija at g mail dot com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by mrsmith11(m): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2017
iCool:

I put up my profile a few days ago.

They have a priority deadline of mid April, I applied mid January so they took me as seriously as I took them.

I was offered a 1k scholarship bundled with a tuition waiver.

I just saw your pm on NL, no mail in my box yet. Network is terrible where I am.

Just sent u a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by AfonjaBoston: 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2017
DimmyCho:
Good afternoon people, thanks for all your contributions.. I want to apply for Masters in film/ television production with possible scholarship. Any idea? God bless you..

in television kwa? what are you currently doing in Naija?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by AfonjaBoston: 10:21pm On Feb 10, 2017
DeeTus:
No problem. I suppose this is new. The only one I know is PS or SOP. When writing it, you just have to include your hobby and of course, link it up.

You also need to talk about your academic achievements in a pragmatic way blah blah blah.

Pragmatic ke?? I would rather say realistic lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by dennison4luv: 10:55pm On Feb 10, 2017
please house how can i get GRE and TOFEL Materials

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.