Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. - Islam for Muslims (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. (37610 Views)

3 Things You Love About Islam / How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 7:24am On May 14, 2010
uplawal:

@IFY,all prophets prostrated before Allah,all infact all,even the prostration then was more than the ones we do today shocked shocked,it was Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) that begged that begged God on our behalf so it can be reduces to some amount

How do you know ? [size=18pt]Where you there? grin grin[/size]
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 12:24am On May 15, 2010
My Quran told me so, i believe it, life and death, BUT dnt come and stain this post of mine with your BETTING GAME though tongue
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 9:34am On May 15, 2010
Your Qu'ran told you they postrated more than what we do today ? undecided

No betting my dear,just simple reasoning tongue
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 11:14am On May 15, 2010
but youre not a muslim,so why are u saying "WE"
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 4:04pm On May 15, 2010
uplawal:

but youre not a muslim,so why are u saying "WE"

uplawal:

@IFY,all prophets prostrated before Allah,all infact all,even the prostration then was more than the ones we do today,it was Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) that begged that begged God on our behalf so it can be reduces to some amount
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by miftaudeen(m): 9:27pm On May 17, 2010
@uplawal, ignore those pagans' comment they know noting about their false religion. if their religion is authentic ask them to post the history their false religion.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 1:40pm On May 18, 2010
miftaudeen:

@uplawal, ignore those pagans' comment they know noting about their false religion. if their religion is authentic ask them to post the history their false religion.

Foolish boy,interruptng his seniors. . . .

Its your elders at home that are pagans ! Olofo !
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2010
^^^Counter-attack

Disappointed. lol grin

How have you been doing? I barely make it here; know little of the going ons here. Hope everything is cool.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 4:46pm On May 19, 2010
muhsin:

^^^Counter-attack

Disappointed. lol grin

How have you been doing? I barely make it here; know little of the going ons here. Hope everything is cool.
I dey my broda. I've also been really busy too.

Sorry I had to burst out like that. . .I so hate when people just jump into dialogues & start insulting others. angry

LagosBoy has also been missing in action lately. cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 4:17pm On May 21, 2010
Una try,the good, bad and ugly.
Lagosboy is fine,he go soon show smiley
@all Barka d'Jumai.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 5:03pm On May 21, 2010
ifyalways:

Una try,the good, bad and ugly.
Lagosboy is fine,he go soon show smiley
@all Barka d'Jumai.
Hmmmm,be like say some brothers & sisters don dey connect outside NL o cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 5:06pm On May 21, 2010
illusion2:

Hmmmm,be like say some brothers & sisters don dey connect outside NL o cheesy
Satisfy ur curious mind cheesy
Connections in and out NL are allowed.fi mi ati lagosbobo sile,shotigbo.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:09pm On May 21, 2010
My beloved people alihamdulilah i am well and good. I do appreciate the d concern about my disappearance illusion my good pal wink I am back inshallah and apologies for my AWOL. IFY wink I must say has been the one that dragged me back here (I wish her the best of blessings and Gods mercy).

I will honestly say the non muslims have been the one that enquired about me the and contacted me as to my disappearance.

I suppose inshallah our Q/A could continue IFY over to you and illusion your queries would be welcomed. You never know you might find yourself making sujud to the lord of the world soonest wink
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 3:11am On May 22, 2010
Welcome back bro. . . . wink

You haven't addressed Islam & saving the environment.

BTW whats your take on Yerima & the 13 year old Egyptian girl. . . cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Jarus(m): 12:35pm On May 22, 2010
ifyalways:

Connections in and out NL are allowed.fi mi ati lagosbobo sile,shotigbo.
Aunty Ify, e tie gbo Yoruba grin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:02am On May 23, 2010
illusion2:

Welcome back bro. . . . wink

You haven't addressed Islam & saving the environment.

BTW whats your take on Yerima & the 13 year old Egyptian girl. . . cheesy

I have addressed the issue a long time back wait . . . i will dig the page out and re post it here.

As regards Yerima I dont have much to say as i dont really like to discuss personalities.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:03am On May 23, 2010
On the issue of global warming and environment in islam.

Firstly Allah says in the qur'an, Q40v 57. "The creation of the heavens and the earth is indeed greater than the creation of mankind, yet most of mankind know not."

The creation of the heavens and earth is a sign of Gods greatness and Allah has made the earth conducive for us to live in as he said in the qur'an Q2 v21

"O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allâh), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqûn 
Who has made the earth a resting place for you, and the sky as a canopy, and sent down water (rain) from the sky and brought forth therewith fruits as a provision for you"

From the verses above we realise that the favours and mercies of God on us in this world are abundant and it is actually a trust for us which we have to treat wih care. From the understanding of this concept we relise the environment we live in was modified by Allah for us to be able to survive in it,  astronomy has confirmed the verse of the quran in this regards as we know other planets are not suitable to live in for humans and that is why Allah said in that verse specifically "made the earth resting place" which means inhabitable. It will be interesting to note here in arabic the word used was "ja'ala" which means to modify,to transform . The understanding of this word in arabic makes us realise why Allah did not use "khalaq" which means create and the verse was not "created the earth as a resting place". The earth was created like other planets but was then made inhabitable for Man.

In islam anything we are entrusted with we have to care about and take good care of it, the environment is a trust on us and as mslims we have to take good care of it in whatever way we can. From reducing green house gases, to cutting of trees to various things. The prophet of islam PBUH prohibited the cutting of trees during wars or cutting of trees indiscrimatory, now this was an environmental legislation 1429 years ago before any Kyoto protocol which butresses the completenes of Islam as a complete way of life or system. The Prophet PBUH further said in another Hadith :
"The earth has been created for me as a mosque and a means of purification" Bukhari 1 : 331

This means the earth is a sacred place and should be treated with sanctity and respect. The heavens nd earth are creatures of Allah as well and deserve respect because the heavens and earth glorify Allah so how would we humans not treat them with regard a 44nd care as they have been entrusted to us. The quran confirms this in Q17 v 44
"The seven heavens and the earth and all that is therein, glorify Him and there is not a thing but glorifies His Praise. But you understand not their glorification. Truly, He is Ever Forbearing, Oft-Forgiving

Additionally, we have been given lots of resources from nature by Allah and he stressed it in the qur'an like the verses below: Q56

63. Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.

64. Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?

65. Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you would be regretful (or left in wonderment).

66. (Saying): "We are indeed Mughramûn (i.e. ruined or lost the money without any profit, or punished by the loss of all that we spend for cultivation, etc.)! [See Tafsir Al-Qurtubî, Vol. 17, Page 219]

67. "Nay, but we are deprived!"

68. Tell Me! The water that you drink.

69. Is it you who cause it from the rainclouds to come down, or are We the Causer of it to come down?

70. If We willed, We verily could make it salt (and undrinkable), why then do you not give thanks (to Allâh)?

71. Tell Me! The fire which you kindle,

72. Is it you who made the tree thereof to grow, or are We the Grower?

73. We have made it a Reminder (for the Hell-fire, in the Hereafter); and an article of use for the travellers (and all the others, in this world).

74. Then glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.

Allah has prefferred human beings to other creaturs and he made nature and animal subservient to us not because of our physical strength but by granting us high intelligence and intellect. We have to use our intellect to protect our environment not harm it.

And God knows best
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 1:10pm On May 23, 2010
@Lagosboy

Well done bro. Good to have you back.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 3:09pm On May 23, 2010
@LB,nice one bro wink. . . .No back to our hot topic of Sharia law.

Why would Sharia court of law in Nigeria pass judgement of amputation on a convicted thief(thereby rendering him disabled), while in Arab Islamic countries thieves are sent to to jail ? undecided

Is it different strokes for different folks or as usual Africans tend to be overezealous with such things.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:55pm On May 23, 2010
Good pal

I have said it on here several times. No thief can have his hand amputated in Nigeria. The punishment in the quran for a thief is amputation yes but with conditions.

There has to be social justice in a society before a thiefs habd could be chopped off. social justice i mean poverty has to have been reduced to near zero percent, the zakah system must have been implemented in totality and rights of the poor must have been fulfilled. Islamic governance is a total system and its policies complement each other. We cannot implement one and leave out the other. The amputation in Zamfara is an unfortunate incident stemming from lack of proper understanding of islam.

I am for shariah system 100% but the capital punishment in shariah cannot be implemented in any society before social justice. When i say i am for sharia 100% i mean i want to see social justice, poverty eradication, economic liberation, moral uprightnes, implementation of the zakah system which is fulfilling the rights of the poor in the society.

It is a shame people have reduced the understanding of shariah to mean amputation and forgotten about the main purpose of the shariah. In Islamic jurisprudence we call it " maqasid al shariah" which is the higher purpose of the law.

I finish with the words of ibn Qayyum

"Shariah is based on wisdom and acheiving peoples welfare in this life and the afterlife. Shariah is all about justice, mercy, wisdom and good. Thus, any ruling that replaces justice with injustice , mercy with its opposite, comon good with mischief, or wisdom with nonsense, is a ruling that does not belong to the shariah, even if it is claimed to be so according some interpretations." i'lam muwaqieen.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 4:03pm On May 23, 2010
zayhal:

@Lagosboy

Well done bro. Good to have you back.

Thanks sis , you also disappeared for some time grin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 4:07pm On May 23, 2010
Lagosboy:

Good pal

I have said it on here several times. No thief can have his hand amputated in Nigeria. The punishment in the quran for a thief is amputation yes but with conditions.

I'm sure you meant should .

So do you mean,if we were able to achieve these utopian heights of poverty eradication etc,you would support someone to be amputated for say stealing N5 undecided
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 23, 2010
AIRDIG:

QUESTIONS
Did Yerima brought the Egyptian family of the bride into nigeria with the correct visa (or as tourists)?
Did bride stay in Nigeria valid in accordance with our sovereignity?
Did Yerima above the law, after he consented to the legislation of the republic by contesting to be a lawmaker in the Senate?
Did Yerima action border as moderate (as opposed to extravagance) in the manner of the dowry, as a muslim stateman within the purview of a former Gorvenor of an impoverish state and a former CBN civil servant?
Did Yerima shows maturity and compassion in the manner of his earlier marriage to a bride under the same age bracket, only to divorce her 2 years later?

SPECULATION
I doubt if any of the answers is a YES.
I doubt if the AGF, Senate & The state/judiciary who institute a lawsuit against him in the court of law
I doubt if his rant about his religion permisibility is not just for sentimental & manipulative purpose

REALITY
It's unfortunate that our irresponsible politicians are going to play the nation up once again. Yerima's act is as pathetic as it could get. If not, how can a man who believed so much in the legislative system to have contested to be made a law maker, turn around and say he will not abide by the laws therein made?

His actions borders on hypocrisy and manipulation. For wilfully violating the constitution of the republic, the Judiciary, AGF & Senate should take legal action against him and let the rule of law /justice takes its course.

In this case, any religious-based excuse is not tenable, for he consented to the law and have never challenged it in the court of law.

Despite my position above. I, however will not follow the rant of groupthinker to castigate the person of Mohammed as a paedophile for what is legally/cultural acceptable in his community in that age.

As a matter of fact, such label only served as a my-religion-is-better-than-yours argument cheap win. But nevertheless historically misconnoted.

By labelling someone who follow the order of the those days paedophile, one is indirectly labelling his/her ancestor as paedophile & by extension his/her line product of paedophilic line.

See the exposition below
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 23, 2010
In the Medieval Times, with parental permission it was legal for boys to marry at 14 and girls at 12.
A betrothal often took place when the prospective bride and groom were as young as 7 years old and in the case of higher nobility many were betrothed as babies. But a marriage was only legal once the marriage had been consummated.
(According to the book Marriage in Medieval Times By Rachelle Carter)
http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/noble-women-in-the-middle-ages.htm

Until perhaps the 1200s it was common to marry earlier than now. For example, age 12 (and even younger) was quite common for girls. Nowadays, it would be assumed that they should be at high school or college at that age.

For girls in particular the age of marriage was much closer than now to the onset of fertility. In the 1600s the minimum legal age for marriage in England was 12. Parliament raised the minimum age for marriage (and the age of consent) to 16 in 1885
The above is just 200 years ago. Now compare it to the reality of 1200 years earlier! (with reference to 1885)

The age of consent in one of the American States was just 7 years, just 120 years ago! But the Western people did not know that and just criticized Islam and Muslims for the marriage of the Mohammed and Aisha more than 1400 years ago.

Traditionally, the age at which individuals could come together in a sexual union was something either for the family to decide or a matter of tribal custom. Probably in most cases this coincided with the onset of MENARCHE in girls and the appearance of pubic hair in boys, that is, between 12 and 14, but the boundaries remained fluid.

[b]In the Semitic tradition,[/b] betrothal could take place earlier than PUBERTY, perhaps as early as 7-9 years, but the marriage was not supposed to be consummated until the girl menstruated and was of age. This is analogous to what is obtainable in most part of Africa

[b]In medieval Europe[/b], Gratian, the influential founder of Canon law in the twelfth century, accepted the traditional age of puberty for marriage (between 12 and 14) but he also said consent was "meaningful" if the children were older than seven. Some authorities said consent could take place earlier. It was this policy which was carried over into English common law. Similarly Gratian's ideas about age became part of European civil law.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 8:29pm On May 23, 2010
^^^ *** claps*** claps***

I wonder what would have happened if Cut & Paste hadn't been invented  cheesy

But I really get your gist & I agree- people should always read Holy books in context  smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 11:13pm On May 23, 2010
illusion2:

I'm sure you meant should .

So do you mean,if we were able to achieve these utopian heights of poverty eradication etc,you would support someone to be amputated for say stealing N5 undecided

Yeah i meant should wink

Regarding amputation of hands that is a quranic injuction to prevent theft but with strict conditions attached to it. My support or view is insignificant as regards this when the quran talks we do not have a contrary view all our difference in opinion is regarding the application.

If were to achieve utopian heights of poverty eradication, there will be no need for anyone to steal N5 that is the whole idea. There are rulings that exists in principle but the application is bloody difficult. Amputation falls into that category.

right now IMO govt officials that steal public funds are the ones that can have the hands chopped off as they have no need to steal. IF a man steals N5 due to hunger he should be given food for 1 year rather than serve any punishment under the shariah. I hope you get my point.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 7:29am On May 24, 2010
I understand your point of view. . . This brings me to our previous discussion of what constitutes 'Sharia Law'.

As exemplified in my example above- comparing an ARAB ISLAMIC country with a poverty stricken one like Nigeria.

Is it stated in the Qu'ran categorically that a thief's hands must be cut off,our you are inferring from similar situations that occured 1,500 years ago?

Laws & statutes as our legal friends will tell us need to be codified and clearly stated. Offences & penalties clearly spelt out. E.g Its in the nigerian  penal code that anyone that contavenes certain sections will be liable to so,so & so years in prison or fine;depending on the offence

Is this the case with 'Sharia Law'?

I have an Arab muslim collegue,whose teenage son was caught drinking in Doha some years back(his fellow white british friends were not charged),a Sudanese judge sentenced him to 50 strokes  cheesy

My colleague protested because in his own opinion,it was 'too severe' , now I asked. .  .what would be the right punishment? He said maybe 6-10 strokes  grin grin

Now why would the poor boy be given 50 strokes ,if the qu'ran had stated 6-10 strokes?  undecided Or is the punishment subject to interpretation & modification?

Strokes of cane. . . one can recover from,but making someone permanently disabled. . . .I don't know. cry

Then again,are criminal penalities under 'Sharia law' meant to punish & reform or seek retribution?

You get my point?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 7:25am On May 26, 2010
@all, theres something troubling me. I spoke to two of the muslim sisters here about 'love'. They said nothing for me that i am a keferi. I asked y&they said allah commanded muslims not to marry unbelievers. My point is im i an unbeliever&cant marry a muslim because im a christian? Does allah tag christians as unbelievers?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 8:29am On May 26, 2010
toba:

@all, theres something troubling me. I spoke to two of the muslim sisters here about 'love'. They said nothing for me that i am a keferi. I asked y&they said allah commanded muslims not to marry unbelievers. My point is im i an unbeliever&cant marry a muslim because im a christian? Does allah tag christians as unbelievers?

Go and marry a christian like your self. . . .you can't force 'love'.

And talking from experience its better for family stability.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 11:32am On May 26, 2010
illusion2:

Go and marry a christian like your self. . . .you can't force 'love'.

And talking from experience its better for family stability.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

I have no challenge in marrying a Christian, i just feel like knowing why a Allah will tell his followers that other people that worship God are not worthy to be married cus they call god in a different style
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by macomrades(m): 12:29pm On May 26, 2010
@toba
Muslim males are permitted to marry christian and jewish females, but muslim females can only marry muslim males, it's that simple, and no the difference between muslims and non muslims is not only because we say Allah while you say god (sic), no it goes beyond that for example muslims believe in the oneness of Allah and not in trinity nor original sin. the list goes on,
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 1:57pm On Jun 11, 2010
IFY should I assume all your curiosity has been satisfied?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (32) (Reply)

Moment Phones Were Left Behind In A Mosque During Worship (Video) / Sheikh Jamiu AMI OLOHUN - Who Is He? / Massalikul Jinaan Mosque Dakar, Senegal: The Biggest In West Africa Opens Doors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.