Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. - Islam for Muslims (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. (37407 Views)

3 Things You Love About Islam / How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by mukina2: 5:18pm On Sep 14, 2010
ifyalways:

Good for you.I dislike Semo,its too Iyama-listic for my liking.
@Topic,Hope we all had a good celebration?
Erhm,I have a question.One of the things i believe as an individual is that when it comes to matters concerning how i look,no-one has the right to dictate to me how to go abt it and Yeah i know it aint so good lol
Ok,I love dreads,its good on me and good for my profession so im asking and need to know,Is it really cool for a Muslima?
Wud it be classified as a haram?
Ify are you a muslim? smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:18am On Sep 15, 2010
mukina2:

Ify are you a muslim? smiley
Yes .
Oya answer my kweshion. grin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 12:15pm On Sep 15, 2010
Ify, I had refrained from answering your question because I was hoping that one of the more knowledgable ones here would answer it but it seems no one is forth coming, yet.

I'd refer you to the site islamqa.com. The question you asked is one that has some controversies about it. My take used to be that any form of attachment to the hair is haram for a Muslimah until Lagosboy gave a contrary opinion in one of the threads sometime ago.

My initial stand was based on the hadith of the Prophet that states that the one who has attachments on and the one who does the fixing shall be punished on the day of resurrection.

Though I am still asking about it, I have long laid off any form of attachment for the Prophet's saying that the right things are clear and the wrong ones are clear and whatever is in-between is doubtful, he (pbuh) encouraged us to leave the doubtful matters.

But then, the dreads you talk about, if you can do it with your natural hair, I don't think there is any harm in that.

And Allah knows best.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by mukina2: 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2010
dreadlocks are haram because

1, It is imitating the style of the Rastafarian, and we all know the Islamic ruling on imitating culture that will affects the religion in any form
2, When performing ghusl  it can never be 100% clean, for its knotted and water cannot go through the hair strands freely.

I may be wrong though, maybe lagos boy or one of the scholars in here will have much to say about it.  smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2010
Mukina

Can it be done with the natural hair? Sorry my question may be a bit out of place but I don't know much about dreads. undecided
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by mukina2: 12:56pm On Sep 15, 2010
Yeah, your natural hair is being twisted with gel until it takes the shape of the twist .

something like this

and then it grows longer and longer.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 1:28pm On Sep 15, 2010
Salam my sisters its been quite  while and Eid mubarak to you all. special one to mukina2  wink long time no hear.

Bismillah Arahman Arraheem
Our new muslimah in the house Habeebah  cheesy , islam does not really dictate how you should look within the confines of your home neither does islam dictates how you should look for your husband or mahram. Islam in fact encourages a woman to do many things within reason to look excellent and fashionable for her husband, islam reccommends a woman look pretty to drive her husband crazy in the house. Unfortunately many muslims out of ignorance have made haraam upn themselves what Allah has not made haraam upon them.

Decorating the hair with wool or your natural hair is halaal according to three schools of though Maliki (limitation oof not extending beyond the normal hair) , Shafi and Maliki.

Dreadlocks with wool will fall under the category above and the kind of hair in the pic by mukina has no problem at all as far as i know. Water will still touch the scalp  and water will still penetrate the hair for ghusl.

The thread below expantiates on the use of attachment and so on.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321709.0.html

One thing we should note however is that the beautified hair is not for the general public anyway and only for the people permitted to see it . Ify if you love dreadlocks and your hubby likes it please go for it by all means but prefferably use wool.

On the issue of immitating the rastaferrians , there is a real problem here at all as the rastas hair is apparently very long dreads , dirty and there apparently rasta. The issue of immitating is a not very simplistc as we have to consider peoples culture etc in making rulings based on immitating. The dreads remember will be covered anyway.

And God knows best.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 3:58pm On Sep 15, 2010
mukina2:

Yeah, your natural hair is being twisted with gel until it takes the shape of the twist .

something like this

and then it grows longer and longer.

I don't see anything wrong with this o if this is the so-called dreads. It doesn't prevent the water of ablution from penetrating and doesn't really look like the rasta's to me.

As Lagboy rightly said, we need to be careful about rulings on imitation. We can't stop putting on skirts because the non-believers put it on or forego bracelets because certain deviant groups wear it.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by azharuddin: 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2010
I have been in your situation pondering about doubtful matters. Remember this Hadith-

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying,

'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. [/b]And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His [b]illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.

[Bukhari Volume 1, Book 2, Number 49]
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 4:41pm On Sep 15, 2010
Zayhal,Mukina,Azharruddin and Lagosboy thanks for your replies.
I intend to do the dreads with my natural hair.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 4:51pm On Sep 15, 2010
azharuddin:

I have been in your situation pondering about doubtful matters. Remember this Hadith-

'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. [/b]And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His [b]illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.

Thanks for the quote. This is the hadith I was referring to in my earlier post.

ifyalways:

You're welcome.

Go ahead and look good for yourself and hubby.
Zayhal,Mukina,Azharruddin and Lagosboy thanks for your replies.
I intend to do the dreads with my natural hair.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2010
azharuddin:

The hadith is a beautiful one but we should be careful in its understanding and interpretation. The first part of the hadith does not apply to scholars of the deen as that is the purpose of scholars - to clarify and explain issues of faith not apparent. The hadith also says "most of the people " and not scholars. We as most of the people consult scholars on issues like this and we act upon the verdict .

Secondly we should never forget that in issues of our wordly affairs (muammulat) everything is permissible until there is a text to prove it to be haraam and not the other way round. May Allah assist us and keep us steadfast unto the deen of Allah.

And God knows best
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2010
How was our Jumai today?Mine was wonderful,one of the bests i have had.
@Illusion how farz?Since the break of Fasting u never show,wetin happen?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2010
ifyalways:

Great. So what was the subject of sermon? smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2010
ifyalways:

Ify I dey.

Looking for a muslima to marry as Mukina dey dodge me cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 9:31pm On Sep 17, 2010
illusion2:

Ify I dey.

You have to pronounce your shahadah first o oga and i will hand her hand over to you in marriage. wink
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 9:35pm On Sep 17, 2010
ifyalways:

Alihamdulilah u had a great Jumah! Tell us the topic of the sermon though.

Todays khutbah today was on "evils of backbiting" , funny it is something many muslims indulge in yet , it eats deep into our good deeds. May Allah strengthen us and help us refrain from backbiting and slandering.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 9:10pm On Sep 19, 2010
Lagosboy:

You have to pronounce your shahadah first o oga and i will hand her hand over to you in marriage. wink

Oti o ! Na she go cross over wink
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:18am On Sep 20, 2010
illusion2:

Ify I dey.

LOL
Lagosboy:

Alihamdulilah u had a great Jumah! Tell us the topic of the sermon though.

Todays khutbah today was on "evils of backbiting" , funny it is something many muslims indulge in yet , it eats deep into our good deeds. May Allah strengthen us and help us refrain from backbiting and slandering.
Sallams.
Mine was abt "Conflict resolving btwn couples"
Lagosboy do u know of any good book abt 'Usage of veils by women" ? I wud love to get hold on one or two.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:24am On Sep 22, 2010
Lagosboy sad
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 11:18am On Sep 23, 2010
Asslamu alaikum,

I'm so delighted about the development here. May Allah, the Exalted, shower His blessings on you, IFY, ur (our) teacher, Lagosboy and us.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Sep 23, 2010
Sallams Muhsin.
All our thirst wud not go in vain and may Allah(swt) purify our Islam.
For lagosboy,My prayer for him daily is that Allah(swt) count him and his family among those that wud enter the gate of Rayyan in paradise.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by azharuddin: 5:08pm On Sep 23, 2010
Ameen Ameen Ameen,
I dont know why, i am feeling a bit happy at the moment (even though i am facing a lot of unsolved problems). Alhamdullillah. : )
I was just pondering about the lives we lead. I am able to spend time here since i am free for a few months. Only Allah knows if i ll ever have such free time. Nowadays everyone is busy with college, work, family etc etc. This is the main reason we miss our Salat and slowly deviate from the way of Islam. It can happen to anyone. The perfect muslim is the one who balances worldly matters and religious matters properly. Actually the Prophet (sallallahu alaihiwasallam) and Sahabas managed all these things so perfectly that there was no distinction between the two.

The lives and the world we live now is so deviant unfortunately eg its almost impossible to not mix with usury/interest with all the bank loans etc. (May Allah save us from it, Ameen). Almost every aspect of life is flirting with the probability of sinning. 
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: Allah's Apostle said, "A time will come that the best property of a Muslim will be sheep which he will take on the top of mountains and the places of rainfall (valleys) so as to flee with his religion from afflictions."
I think that time is almost here. May Allah save all of us Muslims from such temptations and pressures of life. Ameen.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 23, 2010
ifyalways:

Sallams Muhsin.
All our thirst wud not go in vain and may Allah(swt) purify our Islam.
For lagosboy,My prayer for him daily is that Allah(swt) count him and his family among those that wud enter the gate of Rayyan in paradise.
Salam hajia, wow, u dey try o . . can we begin to call you 'scholaress' now or 'sheikhat' grin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On Sep 27, 2010
Jarus:

Salam hajia, wow, u dey try o . . can we begin to call you 'scholaress' now or 'sheikhat' grin
lol.Salams Mallam Jarus  tongue

I got a very wonderful book n its turning out to be a good read.Still on it though.Have any one read it?what do u think abt the book . . .
Beyond the veil by Fatima Mernissi  kiss

Im searching for Islamic boys names and meanings preferably for twin boys.Every and any suggestion is welcome.
Jamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal  wink
Hajj anyone?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by mukina2: 10:49am On Sep 27, 2010
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 11:02am On Sep 27, 2010
Salam IFY and all,

Muhsin sounds good, isn't it? Wouldn't you name one with it? grin

BTW, may Allah bless them, amin. Are they yours?
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:34pm On Sep 27, 2010
Gratitude to Allah SWT who guides whomever he so pleases to his light and may his peace and blessing be upon the noblest of mankind PBUH. About 10/11 months ago IFY's curiosity started with "what is islam " and months later she is researching into the use of veils. Ify, by Gods mercy pronounced the shahadah in the blessed month of Ramadan, she accepted islam and now a full blown muslimah. Words cannot describe my joy and may Allah reward all those who made this thread a success. Special thanks to Jarus who kept this thread sane and pure. May this thread also serve as a means to illuiminate the hearts of others and guide them to the light of islam.

May Allah accept the service of his humble slaves in the service to islam.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
ifyalways:

Lagosboy sad

I dey here o abeg i was a bit busy and not on NL. Accept my apology  wink

Now to books on veils , that book you layed your hands on i beleive is a good book on veil and there are a few others which i willtry to dig out for you inshallah. However , i would suggest to you to thread on a line of caution and read on other aspects of islam and concentrate a bit more on developing a strong love for God, purification of the soul and learning the basic "fiqh" to practise the five pillars of islam for a start.

The reason why i said this is i have seen some new muslim convert who fell unto the hands of some over zealous muslims and these muslims made them concentrate on outer appearance (niqaab,beard, clothing etc) alone and in the end sisters started to cover their faces without really understanding the other basic fiqh of islam like ghusl. In the end after few months the sisters got choked and took off not only the niqaab but even the hijaab. Some even turned their back  on islam . The bulk of the blame was on the muslim handlers who did not develop them un the love of Allah , islamic spirituality before the other super ragatory acts like niqaab  etc.

The veil as we all know is not compulsory on muslm women but what is compulsory is the hijab and not wearing figure hugging and tight  clothing. Let us concentrate on the fiqh of salah, ablutuion, purification, practical women issues like mensturation etc  and the seven conditions of the shahadah and we keep stepping up the knowledge inshallah.

As regards names there is an hadith that says the two most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah (Slave of allah) and abdul Rahman (Slave of the most Merciful). However any of the 99 names of Allah or other names are all good.  If you wish you could name the twins Abdullah and abdul Rahman  as Allah has showered on you the greates mercy he can to anyone  which is guidance. Also the prophet was called by Allah "mercy to mankind".
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 4:08pm On Sep 27, 2010
Mukina2 or Jarus could you post this thread on th main page , if Ify doesnt have any objections. Perhaps Allah might guide others to islam from her story.

"Nairaland Curiosity that leads to conversion to Islam - Story of Ifyalways" This might be a good topic. others what do you think.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 6:54pm On Sep 27, 2010
Lagosboy:

Gratitude to Allah SWT who guides whomever he so pleases to his light and may his peace and blessing be upon the noblest of mankind PBUH. About 10/11 months ago IFY's curiosity started with "what is islam " and months later she is researching into the use of veils. Ify, by Gods mercy pronounced the shahadah in the blessed month of Ramadan, she accepted islam and now a full blown muslimah. Words cannot describe my joy and may Allah reward all those who made this thread a success. Special thanks to Jarus who kept this thread sane and pure. May this thread also serve as a means to illuiminate the hearts of others and guide them to the light of islam.

May Allah accept the service of his humble slaves in the service to islam.

I'm touched.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by zayhal(f): 7:06pm On Sep 27, 2010
Lagosboy:

I dey here o abeg i was a bit busy and not on NL. Accept my apology  wink

Now to books on veils , that book you layed your hands on i beleive is a good book on veil and there are a few others which i willtry to dig out for you inshallah. However , i would suggest to you to thread on a line of caution and read on other aspects of islam and concentrate a bit more on developing a strong love for God, purification of the soul and learning the basic "fiqh" to practise the five pillars of islam for a start.

The reason why i said this is i have seen some new muslim convert who fell unto the hands of some over zealous muslims and these muslims made them concentrate on outer appearance (niqaab,beard, clothing etc) alone and in the end sisters started to cover their faces without really understanding the other basic fiqh of islam like ghusl. In the end after few months the sisters got choked and took off not only the niqaab but even the hijaab. Some even turned their back  on islam . The bulk of the blame was on the muslim handlers who did not develop them un the love of Allah , islamic spirituality before the other super ragatory acts like niqaab  etc.

The veil as we all know is not compulsory on muslm women but what is compulsory is the hijab and not wearing figure hugging and tight  clothing. Let us concentrate on the fiqh of salah, ablutuion, purification, practical women issues like mensturation etc  and the seven conditions of the shahadah and we keep stepping up the knowledge inshallah.

As regards names there is an hadith that says the two most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah (Slave of allah) and abdul Rahman (Slave of the most Merciful). However any of the 99 names of Allah or other names are all good.  If you wish you could name the twins Abdullah and abdul Rahman  as Allah has showered on you the greates mercy he can to anyone  which is guidance. Also the prophet was called by Allah "mercy to mankind".

In as much as what you have said may be true and correct, I'd still say that you shouldn't discourage Ify on her inquiry about the veil.

We can never compare a Muslimah who wears the veil to those who don't just like we can't compare a Muslimah who wears the hijab to the one who uses only the headcover. If one wears it (veil), sincerely to seek Allah's face, then I'm in no doubt that she'll surely find it.

Moreover, wearing the veil doesn't prevent one from gathering more knowledge about the deen. The two (seeking knowledge and outward appearance) can and in fact, should go hand in hand.

@Ify

Abdullah and AbdurRahman,
AbdurRahman and AbdurRaheem
Habeeb and Khubabyb
Mudathir and Muzammil
Miqdad and Muadh

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (32) (Reply)

Sheikh Jamiu AMI OLOHUN - Who Is He? / Imagining Intercourse Between Spouses / Unidentified Woman Who Died During Hajj Trip To Mecca (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.