Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,648 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 - Travel (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (880583 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 1:22am On Jul 09, 2017
DereI:
Okay, this is what my friend did....
Note that she is to resume by September 2017. So far, she has been working 5 hours daily every mondays to saturdays and earn a minimum of C$15/hr.
So this is it....you can actually work while waiting for resumption.
It is illegal to work off campus if you are not yet enrolled in school. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Your friend has been admitted to school but is not enrolled as her session hasn't started yet. To be eligible to work legally, the international student has to have been enrolled in school already.
Your friend is exploiting a loophole, but it is not legal.The more people exploit this loophole, the more immigration officers at the POE will scrutinize those who show up in Canada months before school begins.

This could affect your friend when she applies for PGWP. Not worth the risk.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by manlikegb: 1:45am On Jul 09, 2017
PureRuby:
Wow! I am very grateful for all the advice and contributions. Thank you all and may God grant us all our trv desires in Jesus Name, Amen.

I AM A YOUNG LADY grin

The truth is that all of us cannot come from money readily available homes and God in His infinite wisdom has called me into a humble background. Not all of us have the privilege of quickly obtaining loan, be it from banks or humans

Did He make mistake in awarding me this scholarship? NO! Under no circumstances should I be admitted to UWO due to low 2.2 grade, but just one application to a school, a supervisor was reading available and I was admitted without delay.

All i am trying to say is that, God has and will always use the foolish things of this world to confound the wisdom of men. He has made a provision of "explanation" for me in the cic request, if for any reason I feel i will not be able to meet up with the request.

I am totally with the option of obtaining loan to pay my tuition (me wan chop trv nah grin grin, who will not want to?)
But, if God doesn't permit me to borrow by not sending whom I could borrow from, I will not still be shake for I serve a God who has the heart of kings in His Hands and control them as it pleases Him, The God who rules over the affairs of men.
No man can cage God by a rule, not even canadian VOs.

I truly appreciate every of your contributions.
It shall end in praise.

@PureRuby, you mentioned above that you had a low 2.2GPA and got admitted into MSc, please can you specify the grade? I'm asking because I have 2.2lower and I'm weighing my chances for an MSc program.

Lastly, I sincerely pray that God will make a way for you concerning the tuition request by CIC. You're almost there Sis. Try your human best and God will work the rest. AMEN.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by CanadianNurse: 2:18am On Jul 09, 2017
ogunesan:

I will be going for September intake at ICM
can I have your email address?

Modified: have you applied for TRV? Have you been approved? What stage are you at?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by princeadedayo: 2:42am On Jul 09, 2017
Nwakire29:
Please guys i need your help. The Canadian College that gave me admission requested that i should pay for my first semester tuition before the letter with which i would use to go to the Canadian Embassy would be issued to me. Please guys is it some sort of policy of some schools or is any thing abnormal about it. Secondly please if like some one is denied visa will the school refund the money.

Yes that's some/most schools (universities and colleges policy)

2. All school or most school would refund you in full. They would only deduct administrative charges which would be communicated to you, usually written on their wedbsite
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by princeadedayo: 2:46am On Jul 09, 2017
fembas316:
Please, I am no where near a guru, but I would like to get some things clear as to Canadian TRV application. I have this feeling that not all online applications necessarily pass through Ghana embassy. Why do I say so? I did an online application; and my Passport request came on 6th June, my passport reached Lagos VFS on 8th June and my passport with approved TRV dispatched from Lagos on 9th June.

Based on this timeline, I presume my passport never got to Ghana at all. Gurus, could we have a lil deliberation on this please?

Online application are accessed anywhere in the world. Not necesasaryly Ghana, even thou you are a Nigerian. If you want to know who approved your visa, checking the issuing office and you would see who approve the visa. But I do think Lagos do print the visa on their behalf. Mine was approved by Nairobi, Kenya, but was submitted to Lagos according to vFS.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by CanadianNurse: 2:49am On Jul 09, 2017
Do royal air Maroc flights have Wi-Fi on board? If not how can someone promptly provide his own Internet on board??

Cc:derel
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by 5454Darese: 3:16am On Jul 09, 2017
princeadedayo:

Online application are accessed anywhere in the world. Not necesasaryly Ghana, even thou you are a Nigerian. If you want to know who approved your visa, checking the issuing office and you would see who approve the visa. But I do think Lagos do print the visa on their behalf. Mine was approved by Nairobi, Kenya, but was submitted to Lagos according to vFS.

Pls how long did yours take to be processed?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by 5454Darese: 3:20am On Jul 09, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Do royal air Maroc flights have Wi-Fi on board? If not how can someone promptly provide his own Internet on board??

Airlines don't usually have wifi. Even devises/ mobile phones are meant to be off or flight mode activated. Only when you get to Canada airport, there should be free wifi.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by maziude: 5:03am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

Airlines don't usually have wifi. Even devises/ mobile phones are meant to be off or flight mode activated. Only when you get to Canada airport, there should be free wifi.

Hello boss,

The first sentence might not be true. AirCanada has an onboard wifi...This is a new development.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by CanadianNurse: 5:08am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

Very very wrong bro.... Your device is meant to be on flight mode only during take off and landing and I have used an Emirates and also Lufthansa flight that had a functional Wi-Fi working on them even with USB charging spots on the arm rest ... Get your facts right bro

I'm only asking cos some planes don't have the feature... While some might limit such features to a particular ticket class (first class or business)

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Ayoola03(f): 5:25am On Jul 09, 2017
I suggest you direct your question to spouse open work permit thread you will definitely get a perfect answer, this is a study permit thread you may not get the required info. Go tru this link
https://www.nairaland.com/2271485/canada-spouse-open-work-permit
Best of God!

orisuniye:
Hello everyone!

Please I need your help.

I am a student in Canada. I got married recently. My husband's application for an Open Work Permit was submitted (online) on April 7th. The application was rejected yesterday.

I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds, including income or assets, to carry out your stated purpose in
coming to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 200(1) of the
IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
• I am not satisfied that your spouse can support you until you find employment.

I submitted all necessary documents from my school, his property document and bank statement but the money in my husband's account was not much.

I would like to know how soon we can reapply.
Can my husband show more money in his account as gift from his mum towards the application?
Or should we just get his uncle to show his bank statement and offer to sponsor us?
How can we address all the concerns of the VO in our next application?

Please help us with any information related to this case.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by jnyuwa02: 5:37am On Jul 09, 2017
thesoj:

It is illegal to work off campus if you are not yet enrolled in school. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Your friend has been admitted to school but is not enrolled as her session hasn't started yet. To be eligible to work legally, the international student has to have been enrolled in school already.
Your friend is exploiting a loophole, but it is not legal.The more people exploit this loophole, the more immigration officers at the POE will scrutinize those who show up in Canada months before school begins.

You are right on the money again TheSoj. But how will they know she is working illegally, except someone reports her to the authorities? I know that in the U.S., international students exploit this loophole in working off campus more than the stipulated 20 hours because Internal Revenue Service is distinct from other government departments and by law doesn't share its data with the Immigration and Naturalization Service. I am almost sure this is the same in Canada. Or one can simply work under the table (income tax not reported). It's illegal, but people will always do what they have to do to survive. Some have hardship. it's better though to take time and do due diligence to research and find scholarship before you get to Canada. Life will be easier and your academics won't suffer.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by princeadedayo: 5:40am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

Pls how long did yours take to be processed?

About 12 weeks but that was last year.

Regards
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by princeadedayo: 5:43am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

That's wrong. Most airlines have wifi on board. It's usually signified on the body of the plane inside. You can also know when u check online, line check your booking online from the airline website, it shows you facilities onboard. However, not all aircraft do have the wifi, Lufthansa, Emirates, British airways, Qatar, air Canada etc has even for domestic flights but definitely you pay for the wifi and it's only accessible at a certain height in the sky.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Yasmine04: 5:58am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

Not necessarily true. Most international flights have on air wifi.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by DereI(f): 6:10am On Jul 09, 2017
CanadianNurse:

Goodmorning,
I just looked through their features but Wifi wasnt mentioned. Although people i know that used it came online when they got to Casablanca. So maybe there is Wifi at the airport lounge over there..

No idea.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by 5454Darese: 6:51am On Jul 09, 2017
princeadedayo:

About 12 weeks but that was last year.

Regards
Oh, okay thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Yomalicious(f): 6:53am On Jul 09, 2017
5454Darese:

Wrong. ETIHAD EMIRATES have. You just pay for it
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bbclue(f): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2017
Uzee24:

Please if U dont mind, which school is this?

University of regina

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 7:35am On Jul 09, 2017
bbclue:

Okay. .......Please can I use another uncle that have 10million. ...to be on a safer side
You can use both uncles as sponsor and co-sponsor, but since they are third party (not ur parents or siblings) then they will need to pay ur tuition fee and also put ur living expenses into ur Nigeria bank account to show commitment
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bbclue(f): 7:54am On Jul 09, 2017
mcobex:
You can use both uncles as sponsor and co-sponsor, but since they are third party (not ur parents or siblings) then they will need to pay ur tuition fee and also put ur living expenses into ur Nigeria bank account to show commitment

Okay noted .......Thank you all
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 09, 2017
jnyuwa02:

You are right on the money again TheSoj. But how will they know she is working illegally, except someone reports her to the authorities? I know that in the U.S., international students exploit this loophole in working off campus more than the stipulated 20 hours because Internal Revenue Service is distinct from other government departments and by law doesn't share its data with the Immigration and Naturalization Service. I am almost sure this is the same in Canada. Or one can simply work under the table (income tax not reported). It's illegal, but people will always do what they want to do. Some have hardship. it's better though to take time and do due diligence to research and find scholarship before you get to Canada. Life will be easier and your academics won't suffer.

Nothing remains hidden in Canada, as long as the job is detailed around her SIN Number, she's paying taxes and her T4 and other things are tied to it.
About immigration knowing, I assume that for PGWP, she would need to submit her tax assessment/option C, it could be evident there.
CRA and ICRC share information, please guys, nothing is hidden in Canada, don't jeopardize the long haul with little mistakes.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by fembas316(m): 8:20am On Jul 09, 2017
princeadedayo:

Thank you baba for this clarification.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(m): 8:31am On Jul 09, 2017
likeababygirl:
Anyone going to Halifax this Fall, MSVU especially, being female will make this perfect. Need someone to share a 2 bedroom apartment with.

I should be going be going Halifax by God's Grace.

But I am male tho..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 09, 2017
thesoj:

Very true
It's not worth it
I studied and worked in the UK
Some who worked more than 20 hours during term had their Post Graduate work permit rejected.
Some get away with it but best to make financial provisions ahead than resorting to illegal means that could ruin your long term plans
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by kaizenBash(m): 9:34am On Jul 09, 2017
Hello esteemed members!

Please I need your prompt assistance on below questions.

1. Is it possible to convert 2 or 5 years Canada visit/business visa to work visa on getting to Canada without being an illegal immigrant?

2. How long can one stay with 2/5 years visit/biz Canada visa? is it for the whole visa period or you have to leave after 3 months like the way they operate in the US if you don't want to end up being an illegal immigrant.

3. If one has an admission offer and later got a visit visa to Canada can he/she just walk in to the institution and request the visit visa to be converted to a student visa on getting to Canada?

I would really appreciate genuine information from members on this regard, as I'm trying to weigh my possible options before making final decision whether to go on visit visa (I have a potential good link to procure the visit visa) or with study visa and convert to work/study visa on getting to Canada.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by likeababygirl: 9:47am On Jul 09, 2017
debbiejosh:

Nothing remains hidden in Canada, as long as the job is detailed around her SIN Number, she's paying taxes and her T4 and other things are tied to it.
About immigration knowing, I assume that for PGWP, she would need to submit her tax assessment/option C, it could be evident there.
CRA and ICRC share information, please guys, nothing is hidden in Canada, don't jeopardize the long haul with little mistakes.
This is true. I think we should be careful. I have read a lot of these cases on canadavisa(dot)com. These people come running and seeking for help and when you find out, it's because of working extra hours or illegally. Sometimes, people get away with it but why gamble. If they don't find out when applying for PGWP, they might find out when it's PR time.
We really don't want to jeopardize our chances of getting PR for the extra $2,000 we made while working before classes started.
Please let's try to do all our hustle in Nigeria if we really need extra cash before school resumes.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by likeababygirl: 9:51am On Jul 09, 2017
kaizenBash:
Hello esteemed members!

1. Is it possible to convert 2 or 5 years Canada visit/business visa to work visa on getting to Canada without being an illegal immigrant?

2. How long can one stay with 2/5 years visit/biz Canada visa? is it for the whole visa period or you have to leave after 3 months like the way they operate in the US if you don't want to end up being an illegal immigrant.

3. If one has an admission offer and later got a visit visa to Canada can he/she just walk in to the institution and request the visit visa to be converted to a student visa on getting to Canada?

I would really appreciate genuine information from members on this regard, as I'm trying to weigh my possible options before making final decision whether to go on visit visa (I have a potential good link to procure the visit visa) or with study visa and convert to work/study visa on getting to Canada.

You cannot convert a visit or business visa to a study visa, you have to apply fresh for a study visa.
You also have to come back home to apply for the study visa.
So best thing for you is to leave getting the visit visa idea (cos you don't have it yet) and focus on getting an admission and applying for your study permit from Nigeria.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Markab: 9:53am On Jul 09, 2017
3. You can't convert visit visa to student visa from inside Canada. You need to leave Canada to apply for study permit
kaizenBash:
Hello esteemed members!

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Frankrobbn1: 10:19am On Jul 09, 2017
@Austinpee4, @Mcboex, @Canadian Nurse
@Oseimgho

please i was refused visa yesterday based on the following. I submitted on 31/May/2017.

1-)insufficient fund and available resources
2-)Purpose of visit
3-)Travel history

please i want to apply for GCMS note. I want you guys to clarify me, whether I'm to fill the GCMS note form first before applying or I'm i to pay first before filling the form?

I hope to hear from you guys soon
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by jnyuwa02: 10:22am On Jul 09, 2017
debbiejosh:

I guess there is difference then after all, if you are sure. It's good to know. In the U.S., no information sharing and when applying for permanent residency, showing you have been paying taxes is not required. Please I will advice you not work more than the stipulalated 20 hours. Be smart about it if you have to and cover your holes. Your studies should be the priority regardless. The school finding out you work illegally can result in you been placed on social probation or kicked out enirely. Be smart by desisting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (505)

German Embassy And Visa / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.