Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,970 members, 7,810,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain (14359 Views)

See Gov Fayose Dancing After Winning all The Elections In Ekiti / House Of Representative Aspirant Dumps PDP For APC After Winning Primary / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 7:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
una still dey here?  o ga oo

HE SERVED HIS 5 MONTHS PRISON SENTENCE, YET HE'S STILL BEING KEPT IN PRISON WHILE THEY DEBATE HIS DEPORTATION. IS THAT NOT INJUSTICES AT ITS HIGHEST ORDER? NOW SOMEONE SHOULD TELL ME, DO YOU STAY IN JAIL BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT YOU IN THEIR COUNTRY EVEN AFTER SERVING THE NORMAL 5 MONTHS THAT WAS GIVEN YOU? SOMEONE SHOULD PLEASE ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUESTION.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 20, 2009
^^^ Even imminent deportees that have not comminted any crimes, are often held prior to deportation, as the chances are they would abscond if just left free till their deportation documents are in order. I don't know any person that would willingly walk up, surrender themselves for deportation, do you?

Does that answer your question, or do you still want more?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 8:00pm On Dec 20, 2009
Siena:

^^^ Even imminent deportees that have not comminted any crimes, are often held prior to deportation, as the chances are they would abscond if just left free till their deportation documents are in order. I don't know any person that would willingly walk up, surrender themselves for deportation, do you?

Does that answer your question, or do you still want more?

That does not even answer my question. why should he be transferred from prison to prison like a murderer? if he was your uncle, would you say the shit you just said? by the way, i am not even igbo incase you start thinking maybe i am related to him.

what happened to house arrest? remember he has no leg, so tell me the chances of him absconding? secondly, he has a family, a house who lived in, a daughter, is he going to grow legs overnight and then run away from his family, his relatives and his loved ones? i repeat, those with legs are even given house arrest, why is his own different?

I think the man must be an illiterate, that's why things like these are happening to him.

Education is paramount, everyone should learn from experiences around them so they don't fall into things like this.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2009
My uncle wouldn't show a blatant disregard for the laws of his host country, and if he did, he would deserve the same treatment as Onwumbiko, or any other similar contemptous law-breaker.

House arrest - at the British tax payer's expense? It costs less to house any person within the regular prison system.

As for him being disabled, that makes no difference. A disabled man / woman could abscond with the help of the family you've so thoughtfully mentioned. Unless you expect him to be watched 24-7?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 8:26pm On Dec 20, 2009
Siena:

My uncle wouldn't show a blatant disregard for the laws of his host country, and if he did, he would deserve the same treatment as Onwumbiko, or any other similar contemptous law-breaker.

House arrest - at the British tax payer's expense? It costs less to house any person within the regular prison system.

As for him being disabled, that makes no difference. A disabled man / woman could abscond with the help of the family you've so thoughtfully mentioned. Unless you expect him to be watched 24-7?

An average prisoner in the UK costs the tax payers £110 everyday.
House arrest will quadruple that.

Onwubiko himself will slap many of his supporters here cos i am sure he musta learnt his lessons by now.
He deserves to be deported. No question about it.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2009
Siena:

you can as well say that until it happens to you, no one wants to live like that either, not even him, who knows why he violated the traffic laws, who knows maybe it was out of frustration or depression from issues around him, but then i don't want to talk much.

you said he can escape with the help of any of his family member, escape to where if i may ask? and did they say he tried escaping before? can't a cope be made to house watch him? or at least bug him but to keep him in prison is better right? we shall all ripe what we sow so i would advise you to think before you type. Karma is a bitch.

he can be watched from his house if worse be the worse but keeping him in prison after he already served his jail-term is a violation of his human right for God sake, why are you guys just blind to this just because UK shelter you for now?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 9:20pm On Dec 20, 2009
siena, the use and dump theory is still very much in vogue no matter how you try to deny it.

elosela, so because he was taken care of by the uk sports commission, they are free to do whatever thing they like with him? how on earth can you sit there and say someone who won 5 gold medals and is now deported 'got the best out of the deal'?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by presido1: 9:22pm On Dec 20, 2009
Siena:

^^^ Even imminent deportees that have not comminted any crimes, are often held prior to deportation,
Held where? Prison or Deportation Camp? He committed a deportation offence according to the Justice system and should be deported but keeping him in prison after serving his term is gross injustice. However you like you can twist it but the fact remains its not right. Believe me if he take it up his is in Big bucks.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by AngieFan(f): 11:15am On Dec 21, 2009
how on earth can you sit there and say someone who won 5 gold medals and is now deported 'got the best out of the deal'?

You are not getting it! 5 or even 10 Gold medals mean nothing in the grand scheme of things especially when you break the law. Do you understand? Nothing! Nada! Zilch!

So Britain funded someone who won Gold for them a some mino[/b]r international event and because of that he, the persistent offender should be left alone because he won a measley Gold medals You need to understand that [b]no one, absolutely no one is above the law in the UK except the Queen and that is only because the law is executed under her name.

Read the story below about the former chair of roads policing at the Association of Chief Police Officers in Wales who was not only banned for speeding and had to pay £350 but was also made forced to resign after his misconduct. No doubt he would have been deported too had he been made to serve a prison term and had been a foreigner. grin grin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7128548.stm

90mph police chief's driving ban
The former chair of roads policing at the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) has been banned from driving for speeding at 90mph.
Meredydd Hughes, the chief constable of South Yorkshire, apologised after being caught on camera in a 60mph zone on the A5 at Chirk near Wrexham in May.

He stood down from his role at Acpo after he was summonsed for the offence, which happened when he was on holiday.

He was disqualified for 42 days and fined £350 by Wrexham magistrates.

Again no one is above the law.

Another note the reason why Onwubiko was in put in prison again despite serving his sentence was because there wasn't the facilities at the detention camp to cater to his disabilties.

presido1:

Held where? Prison or Deportation Camp? He committed a deportation offence according to the Justice system and should be deported but keeping him in prison after serving his term is gross injustice. However you like you can twist it but the fact remains its not right. Believe me if he take it up his is in Big bucks.

He may be or not as long as he doesn't expect the British tax payer (legal aid) to fund his appeal.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2009
all those writing this 'above the law' crap, did it ever cross your mind that this chap might have been set up? those black hating metro police could go to any lenght to do in any body not in their good books! sad
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 2:36pm On Dec 21, 2009
George_D:

all those writing this 'above the law' crap, did it ever cross your mind that this chap might have been set up? those black hating metro police could go to any lenght to do in any body not in their good books! sad

Of course - they set him up THREE times, including the court case. In fact he's the only black man driving in London - they are so jealous of him. sad
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by tbaba83(m): 2:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
George_D:

George D no offence but do you know that for you to assume such a statement makes you even look more racist. London is one of the most tolerant interracial society you can ever live in. We all know O.J Simpson Killed his wife but because a race card was played in court he walked away a free man. Now you want to do the same thing everytime someone of our colour is brought to court. Please think up another reason. Nobody is above the law here in united kingdom. Even a white police officer who killed a pedestrian while on a personal errand in a patrol car was  not only sacked but jailed for six-and-a-half years. see sources here: ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8326133.stm ).
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2009
in theory, yes no one is above the law but we all know what happens behind closed doors. certain category of people somehow always seem to be more below the law than others! sad
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by tbaba83(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2009
George_D:

in theory, yes no one is above the law but we all know what happens behind closed doors. certain category of people somehow always seem to be more below the law than others! sad
Like who?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2009
well, you know who! if he had been anyother skin than black, we wouldn't be discussing this here, would we?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by tbaba83(m): 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2009
George_D:

well, you know who! if he had been anyother skin than black, we wouldn't be discussing this here, would we?
I think you are racist my friend. You choose to argue with sentiments rather than facts. Do you know how many white people have been deported from UK. There is a constitution that contains all the law of the land and it must be followed by everyone including officers that enforce the law. Even though it is the smallest of offenses, it still carries penalties that would be seen through. Mr Onwubiko's case is even a small issue. A GRANDMOTHER who has lived in Britain since she was a baby is being deported to America. Dawn Woodcock, 44 - born in South Carolina to an American father - was brought to England as an 18-month-old baby by her British mum in 1963. She went to school here, got married, had four children and got a job. But now the Home Office has given her just two weeks to pack up and leave. AND YES MY FRIEND SHE IS WHITE, for source read here( http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2006/01/19/deported-after-42-years-as-a-brit-115875-16601049/ )
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
George_D:

Did you even read the article? Was the Afghan disabled guy who got deported black as well?

What about a WHITE Canadian that was deported even though being married to a Welshman? Was that a skin colour issue as well?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2009
debosky, tbaba83, talk is sweet really. just pray it doesn't get to your turn to be deported by rhis warped system your so passionately defending! angry
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 9:51pm On Dec 21, 2009
If I break the law and I am punished for it, I can have no complaints - this SIMPLE idea is something sorely lacking in Nigeria.

Till we begin to understand that we will continue muddling around as a people.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by tbaba83(m): 12:34am On Dec 22, 2009
george d it is because of your way of thinking nigeria wont move foward. You are looking at this issue from a nigerians point of view. Seems you are so used to the lawless society of our nation. If i disobey the law yes i will be kicked out like how u boot out your faithful houseboy you caught stealing your jewelry.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by willyet: 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2009
@debosky
@tbaba83
well said. What is really lacking in Nigeria is orientation, Most black are more racist and I still feel there are lots of inferiority complex and education needed. How can Nigeria grow? imagine, If you are out of the country and lives elsewhere you obey the rules, not lawlessness, as we are known for. The saying of our elders===it is the finger that sins that the blade cut.
you can never experience this in Nija, but the big Man can aways escape justics or get appointment in high places.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2009
if he really committed the crime, fine they can boot him out as fast as they can but not if he was set up because of his skin color. i tell you guys, the last has not been heard about this saga! angry
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by willyet: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2009
@george D
how did you know he has not committed the crime. Did you think it is Nigeria? Did you know how much it cost the british gov for accusing people wrongly? think man.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by viaro: 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2009
skfa1:

You see now where dem even wound themself, why would they even allow him to represent their country when he is not a citizen? I believe strongly the reason is to achieve the glory and after that they just pushed the guy away

I was just wondering about that. If they're going to be honest and fair, the British Government should deny themselves of the glory of the medals Onwubiko brought them. This case is just too embarrassing to read.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by skfa1: 11:15pm On Dec 22, 2009
I stoped replying to this thread right from page 2 cause its pissing me off angry angry angry

Ok siena, can u tell them to kill the guy if that is what will make them happy angry angry angry

Thank God say those whitty no be God, what for happen?

Bull shit angry angry
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by viaro: 12:11am On Dec 23, 2009
tbaba83:

There is a constitution that contains all the law of the land and it must be followed by everyone including officers that enforce the law.

Excuse me - 'a constitution that contains all the law of the land'? That's odd, considering that: "The UK constitution is often described as an 'unwritten constitution', but it is best described as 'partly written and wholly uncodified' (Budge et al, 1998)."

tbaba83:

If i disobey the law yes i will be kicked out like how u boot out your faithful houseboy you caught stealing your jewelry.

But hang on, boss. What exactly was written in UK's constitution to warrant deportation on driving offence? That is what I've been trying to figure out. Help, anyone?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 10:15am On Dec 23, 2009
viaro, pls ask them. you know sometimes i wonder at the gusto with which fellow nigerians defend laws made to oppress and dehumanise them in foreign countries. these are the same people that will rat of their fellow brothers just so they can hang on to their slavish jobs in no man's land! sad
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by viaro: 11:09am On Dec 23, 2009
^^^Bro, I understand that breaking the law (especially in the UK) is a serious crime - and it should be punished where applicable. However, I was just wondering that the Home Office is using this 'driving offence' against Onwubiko to the point of deportation. I'm willing to shut my trap about the matter where it could be clearly established in UK's constitution that such offences merit deportation - not even a fine? . . and what happens to the prison sentence he already had served for that offence?

Some argue the legal theory of 'no one is above the law', and that's understandable. However, is it constitutional to continue holding the man imprisoned after he had served his time for that offence, while David Wood (head of criminality and detentions at the UK Border Agency) tells us that Onwubiko's "human rights are not breached"?? Are we at pains to justify what is NOT justifiable in this 21st century simply because 'no one is above the law'? This is one of the reasons why this story is so embarrassing to read!
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 25, 2009
viaro:

But hang on, boss. What exactly was written in UK's constitution to warrant deportation on driving offence? That is what I've been trying to figure out. Help, anyone?

You're either not reading things through, or you're reading without comprehension.

It's not about the driving offence - it's about having a criminal record, Onwumbiko served a jail term, which is grounds for deportation. He has been labelled a criminal, due to his habitual offending.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 7:45pm On Dec 25, 2009
here we go again! if some here were the metro police, no fellow brother would be spared in no man's land! angry
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Theblessed(f): 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2010
EloSela:

How was he used? Do you think he competed for free?

He was fully funded by the UK Sports council during his competing years which means all his living expenses were taken care of. Also in the article it doesn't make any mention of a job and so I am led to believe that he was probably surviving on benefits (disability and income benefit which could amount to up to £150 a week not including housing benefit and council tax which he probably also claimed for) and receiving free NHS care for his health issues. So who was using who?  Who got the best end of the deal out of it all?

Girl, your analysis is authentic and breathtaking!  Bravo!  Please, don't waste your blessed  breath on losers!
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 9:12am On Jan 11, 2010
dis man never reach naija since?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Presidency Denies Plans Of Sharing $1.7 Billion From Excess Crude Account / Buhari Gave The Golden Eaglets N20,000 Because They Are Mostly Igbos / APC Mocks Atiku, Says He’s Suffering From Post-election Depression

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.