Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain (14375 Views)

See Gov Fayose Dancing After Winning all The Elections In Ekiti / House Of Representative Aspirant Dumps PDP For APC After Winning Primary / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 2:37pm On Dec 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

Which Afghan hijacker?
Bring out the details and letz look at it.

http://lionheartuk..com/2008/05/plane-hijacker-working-at-heathrow.html

that's for you. you can as well read what the real English people are saying about their justice system and how it has failed woefully.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 2:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

The afghan hijacker never was imprisoned?  undecided

Again stop comparing apples with oranges - they hijacked a plane from Afghanistan so they would not be forced to return to be punished by the Taliban. Their act was primarily one of self preservation, not just irresponsible breaking of the law.

The asylum-seekers were among 142 hostages who landed at Stansted after the hijack of an Ariana jet on an internal flight in Afghanistan. They are being held at Tinsley House immigration centre, near Gatwick, after being moved from accommodation in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.

Many of those on the plane are believed to be from Afghanistan's Persian-speaking minority, who have been victimised by the Taliban.

Although it is not clearhow the Afghan authorities would treat deported asylumseekers, those held responsible for the hijack would be executed under Islamic Law. All but a few of the 3,000 Afghans who applied for asylum in Britain last year won exceptional leave to remain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/afghans-from-hijack-will-be-allowed-to-stay-in-britain-726679.html

The only reason those guys were allowed to remain was because they'd be killed if returned to their countries - [b]i.e violation of human rights. [/b]Will the Nigerian be killed if he returns to Nigeria for traffic offences? NO.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 2:40pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

that's for you. you can as well read what the real English people are saying about their justice system and how it has failed woefully.

He is an asylum seeker. . . . . .
They won't deport him to the country they were trying to save him from.
U need to really educate yourself about these lil things before screaming how the justice system has failed woefully.

There are thousands of Ijaw boys in London enjoying the same benefits.

debosky:

Although it is not clearhow the Afghan authorities would treat deported asylum seekers, those held responsible for the hijack would be executed under Islamic Law. All but a few of the 3,000 Afghans who applied for asylum in Britain last year won exceptional leave to remain.

Honeric is a semi-illiterate.
I doubt he understands what seeking asylum means.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by jaybee3(m): 2:41pm On Dec 17, 2009
the crime (hijacking) wasn't committed in the UK though so still a lil diff
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by thameamead(f): 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
@honeric01,
A big hug from me for posting that afghan hijacker link, thanks
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
Even the article you posted said their convictions were QUASHED by the Appeals Court. Was the Nigerian's appeal quashed? NO.

Again, the legal cases are different - one set is trying to escape a harsh environment where they would otherwise have beeen killed, one guy is repeatedly breaking the law even though he's been in the country for a while and should know better.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

They are asylum seekers. . . . . .

Asylum seeker indeed, but they came in by hijacking a plane. is that not an offense and how sure is their claim that they ran away from the Taliban?

jay bee:

the crime (highjacking) wasn't committed in the UK though so still a lil diff

they got arrested in UK, they landed the Hijacked plane on the UK territory.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Maybe you need to read this mr man.

what evidence do you want again?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5244936.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/aug/04/stansted.immigration

The men were convicted in December 2001 - but were freed on appeal two years later when the Court of Appeal found they were acting under duress.

Judge Herbert Dunn allowed his appeal against Jack Straw's decision, after hearing he had been imprisoned for 40 days by the Taliban and beaten over the head with a brick.

The man said he had acted for the mujaheddin and feared he would be hanged if he were sent back to Kabul. Judge Dunn said he should be given asylum in Britain as was convinced that he faced "a well founded fear of persecution".
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Asylum seeker indeed, but they came in by hijacking a plane. is that not an offense and how sure is their claim that they ran away from the Taliban?

They won their appeal and the convictions were QUASHED which means they don't even have a criminal record.
Besides, they sought asylum which means they can never be thrown back to where they will get killed.
Human Right Act is the KEY here not the codswallop you keep typing.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 2:47pm On Dec 17, 2009
debosky:

Even the article you posted said their convictions were QUASHED by the Appeals Court. Was the Nigerian's appeal quashed? NO.

Again, the legal cases are different - one set is trying to escape a harsh environment where they would otherwise have beeen killed, one guy is repeatedly breaking the law even though he's been in the country for a while and should know better.

What i am trying to draw out from these comparison is the fact that "according to this thread's topic"", if someone who violated some traffic offense would be made to stay in the prison for 5 months and now is to be deported and the other who came into UK by hijacking a plane was also imprisoned for some times was allowed to stay in the UK, isn't that something not really cool when it comes to the justice system we are talking about here?

what if the pilot got nervous and did something wrong while in the air thereby ending the lives of all the people on board just because the hijackers claimed they were trying to run from the Taliban?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

They won their appeal and the convictions were QUASHED which means they don't even have a criminal record.
Besides, they sought asylum which means they can never be thrown back to where they will get killed.
Human Right Act is the KEY here not the codswallop you keep typing.

Oh now it's now based on human right act? then maybe they should also quashed the case against the DISABLED man on a human right act since he might die in his condition if he's deported to Nigeria in his state of health just don't get it. how can few driving offenses be equivalent to deportation according to UK legal system undecided
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Oh now it's now based on human right act? then maybe they should also quashed the case against the DISABLED man on a human right act since His driving offense is equivalent to deportation according to UK legal system which doesn't look anything close to perfect to me.

Quit arguing blindly - their offense was deemed to be in protection of their human rights. They didn't know the law and just decide to break it for the fun of it. This Nigerian had broken the law TWICE - had been warned of consequences and went and committed a THIRD offense.

Unfortunately you are unable to distinguish the clear issues here - his disability is NOT life threatening. He was living in Nigeria till 96 on a wheelchair, i.e for close to 30 years so he obviously can survive in Nigeria. The Afghans would have been KILLED.

There is no comparison between willful disobedience of laws by the Nigerian to the Afghans trying to save their lives.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
debosky:

Quit arguing blindly - their offense was deemed to be in protection of their human rights. They didn't know the law and just decide to break it for the fun of it. This Nigerian had broken the law TWICE - had been warned of consequences and went and committed a THIRD offense.

Unfortunately you are unable to distinguish the clear issues here - his disability is NOT life threatening. He was living in Nigeria till 96 on a wheelchair, i.e for close to 30 years so he obviously can survive in Nigeria. The Afghans would have been KILLED.

There is no comparison between willful disobedience of laws by the Nigerian to the Afghans trying to save their lives.

Are you making things up or you just want to type something? what makes you think his condition is not life threatening? who told you he was living in Nigeria till 96? and how are you sure he was disabled and was on a wheelchair when he was in Nigeria?

lastly, is committing a THIRD [b]DRIVING [/b]offense equivalent to a deportation? (show me where it is in the English law) and is driving offense not civil offense or is it a criminal offense?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
While you are on the verge of answering my questions, can you please read this too?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7305963.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3586752.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1582270/Woman-deported-to-Ghana-despite-cancer-dies.html

these are people deported even when they had a life threatening diseases, yet they were deported and allowed to die.

what i am TRYING to say is that the BRITISH law is just too flawed that it's easily twisted to suit them whenever they want to do what pleases them. (the judiciaries)
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2009
A terminally ill cancer patient deported from the UK to Africa died hours before learning of plans to bring her back for private treatment.

* Max Pemberton: We can't let people die for not having their passport stamped

Ama Sumani, 39, died on Wednesday after being forcibly removed from a hospital in Cardiff, south Wales, in January and flown back to her native Ghana.

Related Articles

Archbishop of York brands immigration minister 'unmerciful'
Archbishop of York attacks immigration minister Phil Woolas

Friends said that they were on the verge of applying for an emergency visa to allow the mother-of-two to return to the UK for vital treatment.

News of her death has re-ignited the controversy surrounding the decision to deport the terminally mother in the first place.

Barry Morgan, the Archbishop of Wales said that a "civilized, wealthy society" had turned "a sick woman out of her bed and put her on a plane."

He added: "I believe her death is on the conscience of this nation because we deported her when it was against every humanitarian instinct to do so. My thoughts and prayers are with her family."

Janet Simmons, a friend of Mrs Sumani, said more than £60,000 had been raised and was to be used to fund private treatment in the UK.

"I rang Ghana to tell her the good news and was told that she had died two hours before," said Mrs Simmons, who runs a Cardiff shop called Xquisite Africa. "She was just too tired to carry on and gave up.

"I am very very sad and upset and angry and disappointed that something like this could happen in Britain.

"In Ghana I could believe it, but not the UK. I would not have thought it possible.

"My hope now is that lessons can be learned from this so that no one else suffers a similar fate in the future.

"British troops lose their lives around the globe on humanitarian missions but we could not lift a finger to give someone a dignified death when they were on the doorstep."

The Border and Immigration Agency said the case had been carefully considered through the independent judicial process.

Friends and family campaigned for Mrs Sumani, who suffered from malignant myeloma and was receiving dialysis, to be allowed to remain in Britain on compassionate grounds.

But they were unsuccessful and Mrs Sumani died shortly after she learned her supporters had raised £70,000 to fund treatment in her home country.

The drug she needed to prolong her life was not available in Ghana.

Ms Simmons, from Cardiff, who led the campaign and returned from Ghana on Sunday, said: "She gave up. She said she was too tired to fight. She asked me: 'Are you taking me with you?' I had to say no."

In January the medical journal, The Lancet, described the decision to remove Mrs Sumani as "atrocious barbarism".

But the Border and Immigration Agency said it could not offer healthcare to people with no legal right to remain in Britain solely because similar treatment was not available in their own country.

Lin Homer, the agency's chief executive, said: "The case was carefully considered by both trained caseworkers but also through the independent judicial process, which is better and fairer than a decision by me as chief executive or by the minister."

Mrs Sumani came to England as a student in 2004 but later began work in contravention of her visa regulations.

Her family will look after her children Mary, 16, and Samede, seven.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 3:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Are you making things up or you just want to type something? what makes you think his condition is not life threatening? who told you he was living in Nigeria till 96? and how are you sure he was disabled and was on a wheelchair when he was in Nigeria?

Dude he had POLIO - that is a childhood disease so he definitely was using a wheelchair in Nigeria. How is living in a wheelchair life threatening if he had done that in Nigeria for over 30 years previously? He came into the UK between 94 and 96.

lastly, is committing a THIRD DRIVING [/b]offense equivalent to a deportation? (show me where it is in the English law) and is driving offense not civil offense or is it a criminal offense?

Don't be pedantic - he was convicted and served a prison sentence. [b]A prison sentence is grounds for deportation
, not the driving incident per se.

If you are convicted and serve prison time (as he did) then you are liable for deportation. SIMPLE
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:32pm On Dec 17, 2009
debosky:

Dude he had POLIO - that is a childhood disease so he definitely was using a wheelchair in Nigeria. How is living in a wheelchair life threatening if he had done that in Nigeria for over 30 years previously? He came into the UK between 94 and 96.

Don't be pedantic - he was convicted and served a prison sentence. A prison sentence is grounds for deportation, not the driving incident per se.

If you are convicted and serve prison time (as he did) then you are liable for deportation. SIMPLE

But in 2007 Mr Onwubiko was sentenced to five months in prison for driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving, once after jumping a red light.

he came to the UK 1994 and since been married with kids, according to the reports, when he was in the prison for that 5 months, he was not granted health assistance so his health deteriorated, if you read the article, all the same. if others who also served jail terms are allowed to stay on humanitarian grounds, then he's also qualified for that because his health has also deteriorated and might die if he's deported to Nigeria where he might not have access to medications.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On Dec 17, 2009
debosky:

Don't be pedantic - he was convicted and served a prison sentence. A prison sentence is grounds for deportation, not the driving incident per se.

At the end of his sentence Mr Onwubiko, who is wheelchair-bound as a result of polio, was arrested and taken to Dover Immigration Removal Centre, which he claims would not admit him because he does not have the use of his legs.

Instead he was taken to Brixton prison in south London. In January 2008, he was granted bail, but re-arrested last August after being called in for an interview, and has been in detention ever since.

Ellie Schling, who has been campaigning for Mr Onwubiko to be allowed to stay in the UK, said: "His physical condition is deteriorating while he is being held in Brixton Prison and he has not got access to the hospital or medical care he needs."

why would he still be put in prison after completing his 5 months sentence, isn't that a violation? they are still transferring him from one prison to another even after he has completed his sentence.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

But in 2007 Mr Onwubiko was sentenced to five months in prison for driving while disqualified after twice being convicted of careless driving, once after jumping a red light.

he came to the UK 1994 and since been married with kids, according to the reports, when he was in the prison for that 5 months, he was not granted health assistance so his health deteriorated, if you read the article, all the same. if others who also served jail terms are allowed to stay on humanitarian grounds, then he's also qualified for that because his health has also deteriorated and might die if he's deported to Nigeria where he might not have access to medications.

Don't mix apples with oranges - the 'others' you mentioned had their convictions OVERTURNED - i.e no criminal record and no conviction.

Let the court decide if he might die if deported to Nigeria - I have seen no such evidence as yet.

honeric01:

why would he still be put in prison after completing his 5 months sentence, isn't that a violation? they are still transferring him from one prison to another even after he has completed his sentence.

He was sent to prison because he couldn't be held at the Dover Immigration Centre and not for any other reason. He is due to be deported and he likely being held in custody till that time to prevent absconding.

Let the court decide whether his rights have been violated or not.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 3:46pm On Dec 17, 2009
debosky:

Don't mix apples with oranges - the 'others' you mentioned had their convictions OVERTURNED - i.e no criminal record and no conviction.

Let the court decide if he might die if deported to Nigeria - I have seen no such evidence as yet.

He was sent to prison because he couldn't be held at the Dover Immigration Centre and not for any other reason. He is due to be deported and he likely being held in custody till that time to prevent absconding.

Let the court decide whether his rights have been violated or not.

So it's okay by you for someone who only committed an offense worth 5 months to be repeatedly put in jail since 2007? is that okay by you? if they think he's going to run, why not put him on a house-arrest or is he going to run too? this is just not good, just for a driving offense and jumping a red light. sucks big time and it still shows that the English law is something the judiciary twist at their convenience.

thanks for your time. we shall see what happens to him at the end of the day but it's taking forever just like Nigeria election appeals do. if he's to wait on this same court to decide if his right has not been violated, then he's on OYO, another court higher than all the courts in the UK would be the only option he has. (EU court or UN court)
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

So it's okay by you for someone who only committed an offense worth 5 months to be repeatedly put in jail since 2007? is that okay by you? if they think he's going to run, why not put him on a house-arrest or is he going to run too? this is just not good, just for a driving offense and jumping a red light. sucks big time and it still shows that the English law is something the judiciary twist at their convenience.

We made the laws to govern ourselves. We don't want repeat offenders in our country, I don't want to lose my 6 year old niece to some idiot that has refused to take driving lessons.
Do as you wish in Nigeria, we don't do that here . . . people that disrespect a law made for our safety should be punished.
We can't let this set a bad precedence and have a million people thinking they can do the same thing and escape without jail term.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 6:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
eldee:

We made the laws to govern ourselves. We don't want repeat offenders in our country, I don't want to lose my 6 year old niece to some slowpoke that has refused to take driving lessons.
Do as you wish in Nigeria, we don't do that here . . . people that disrespect a law made for our safety should be punished.
We can't let this set a bad precedence and have a million people thinking they can do the same thing and escape without jail term.

And who are you when it comes to making the law? You keep saying WE, who are the WE? you included? so you are now the Briton who made those laws? by the way, if you scroll down, you'd find some articles about a case of a woman who was no threat to anyone's life, yet she was deported to die, she died just few days with cancer. so what do you call that?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by presido1: 6:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
You guys are still arguing on the british justice system. Debo and coy haven't you guys hard of "British Justice" before?

Its not right to keep somebody in prison environment when he has served his full sentence, Its either you prepare the ground for his deportation immediately he is out of prison or you take him to deportation camp where he waits for his time. If this guy take this case to EU court he is on big Bucks. Since the deportation camp is not accessible due to his health condition, it can never be a reason to send him back to Prison. That means serving his prison term twice.
eldee:

We made the laws to govern ourselves.
You have just confirmed what the other guy said about the British law.

The guy has over served his 5 months jail term, so he did not escape his due punishment.

Some peeps asked if the cat Bolivian guy committed any crime, Is being illegal not a crime?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 6:16pm On Dec 17, 2009
presido1:

You have just confirmed what the other guy said about the British law.

The laws are made to protect residents of England and Wales . . . no one was forced to come.
Once you're there, you have to obey the laws for the smooth-running of the society.

presido1:

Some peeps asked if the cat Bolivian guy committed any crime, Is being illegal not a crime?

Nope.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by presido1: 6:30pm On Dec 17, 2009
eldee:

Nope.
Are you kidding me? Once something is forbidden by law it becomes a crime. If being illegal is a country is not a crime then what is it.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
presido1:

Are you kidding me? Once something is forbidden by law it becomes a crime. If being illegal is a country is not a crime then what is it.

Nope . . . not every offence is a crime.
A criminal offence is one which you can get jail time for.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by nex(m): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
a Nigerian cannot win a Gold Medal for Britain. The man does not know who he is and he better not be deported here, else we deport him to Haiti.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by GeorgeD1(m): 8:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
all speaking in defence of the british justice system, i just laugh because you don't know jack what you're defending grin
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by NordicRace: 8:45pm On Dec 17, 2009
this is modern time slavery, when he was useful to them, they exploited him, now that they have more young and vibrant "slaves" coming to their country, they want to dispose the old and tired ones. A leopard will never change its spot. (BRITAIN)

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO COME TO BRITAIN. NO ONE IS BRINGING NIGERIANS HERE IN CHAINS.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nnenna1(f): 4:58am On Dec 18, 2009
NordicRace:

this is modern time slavery, when he was useful to them, they exploited him, now that they have more young and vibrant "slaves" coming to their country, they want to dispose the old and tired ones. A leopard will never change its spot. (BRITAIN)

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO COME TO BRITAIN. NO ONE IS BRINGING NIGERIANS HERE IN CHAINS.

This dude/dudette should be banned.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 9:18am On Dec 18, 2009
Nnenna1:

This dude/dudette should be banned.

Who should be banned? the quoted or the quoter? undecided
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by tbaba83(m): 11:02am On Dec 18, 2009
this is a simple case of reasoning. If you are invited to be residing in your uncle's house and you are caught stealing he has the right to send you packing. If his son coommits the same offence with you, he would just reciece a spanking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

From The Archives: Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe To Dr. Chuba Okadigbo (1981): / Coronavirus: INEC To Shift Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections / Supreme Court Verdict: Atiku To Hold Press Conference On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.