Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain (14351 Views)

See Gov Fayose Dancing After Winning all The Elections In Ekiti / House Of Representative Aspirant Dumps PDP For APC After Winning Primary / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 2:59pm On Dec 14, 2009
presido1:

Common sense or Law of the Land which one do you subscribe to? But its weird to deport a legal cus of trafic offence. Even illegals that drive without licence and insurance are rarely deported talkless of a legal man with kid and a british wife for many years. Why haven't they given him passport? U must be a citizen to represent a country.

He was accused of careless driving a couple of times . . . he's a potential murderer.
It's so obvious that the press is trying to play down the offences to sell papers.

Driving under the influence is not the same thing as driving without a insurance . . . one's a criminal offence, one's civil.
With criminal offences, the law is quite clear

If a foreign national is over 17 years old, has been convicted of a criminal offence which carries with it a prison sentence and the court which sentenced the foreign national recommended that he be deported once he has served his sentence.

It's the law . . . when people start cutting corners it could be harmful to the legal system.
No one's forcing you to stay in the UK, but, as long as you've not settled your passport, don't commit a criminal offence . . . c'est fini.

The law applies to everyone from Obama to the doctors, lawyers, athletes, miscreants, everyone.
The law is there for a reason . . . it's there to protect the other residents.
You forget that the person he hits in one of the DUI cases could be a 7-year old Nigerian girl.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by texazzpete(m): 5:02pm On Dec 14, 2009
@eldee
I'm surprised people are still arguing with you. And all those crying racism need to go for an IQ test ASAP.

This is a man who had twice been cautioned for careless driving and had shown a disregard for highway safety. After being disqualified the silly fellow still went on driving.
Why are we so quick to pull the 'racism' card for one man's foolishness? You want the Home Office to rescind their decision, do you know the furore that will be caused if this fellow goes back on the road and kills someone?

He had his chance and he blew it. Simple as that.

Funny how the same people supporting this man's lawless behaviour are the ones often seen on NL muttering about the need for a revolution in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Kx: 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2009
i hope agbonlahor and shola ameobi are reading this.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
redsun:

I can't believe you have the guts to say you had DUI openly on this forum,you must really be a kid like you always claim to be.You need to grow up, you know.Kids are under sixteens,anything out side that should be responsible and accountable.

Abeg jo. I'm suppose to be a lying bastard for the sake of folks like you? Abeg your time don pass. Besides I was never drunk whenever I get DUI I'm just a target like every other night clubber in London. All they use is breathalyzer and all it says is you had alcohol earlier before driving no matter how much. Plus the Brits are always looking for a way to get young drivers off the road so any chance is taken.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 5:53pm On Dec 14, 2009
eldee:

He was accused of careless driving a couple of times . . . he's a potential murderer.
It's so obvious that the press is trying to play down the offences to sell papers.

Driving under the influence is not the same thing as driving without a insurance . . . one's a criminal offence, one's civil.

If a foreign national is over 17 years old, has been convicted of a criminal offence which carries with it a prison sentence and the court which sentenced the foreign national recommended that he be deported once he has served his sentence.

It's the law . . . when people start cutting corners it could be harmful to the legal system.
No one's forcing you to stay in the UK, but, as long as you've not settled your passport, don't commit a criminal offence . . . c'est fini.

The law applies to everyone from Obama to the doctors, lawyers, athletes, miscreants, everyone.
You forget that the person he hits in one of the DUI cases could be a 7-year old Nigerian girl.

it's like you are leaving out one vital information, he is going to be deported but to where? with the fact that he already represented Britain at big occasions, does that mean anyone without a British passport can be allowed to represent their country? i need that part clarified.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by MrCrackles(m): 5:55pm On Dec 14, 2009
9jaganja:

Wow shocked shocked shocked
This is plain bullshit. It must have been something else jo. It can't be just traffic violation. I have bad driving records in London. I get a DUI whenever I go back there my last was 2007 summer.
You are a disgrace to the human race!
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
eldee:

Brilliant post. cool
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 14, 2009
Well in England anybody that drives under the influence of narcotics or alcohol is regarded as a potential lkiller.
Furthermore it is a criminal offence so convicted foreign nationals face automatic eviction on completion of their sentence.

There can be no allowance or excuse made on account of disability or occupation.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
honeric01:

it's like you are leaving out one vital information, he is going to be deported but to where? with the fact that he already represented Britain at big occasions, does that mean anyone without a British passport can be allowed to represent their country? i need that part clarified.

You're allowed to represent Britain in an athletic competition as long as you're legally resident and in the process of applying for  British passport.
He probably got a Residence permit in the UK by marrying a British Citizen, that gives him the opportunity to choose to contest for the UK.

He decided to take everything for granted and commited multiple indictable offences and got done for it.
The Criminal Justice System doesn't care if you're Gordon Brown's Chinese sister-in-law, when you (a foreign national) commit an indictable offence, you have to leave.

Now he was a multiple offender, my niece, aged six could have been unlucky to be on the road while he was driving under the influence.
He's not being deported because he's black, he's being deported because he went against the promise he made to be allowed to remain in this country.
He committed a crime, was pardoned but nah, he had to take it to the next level.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by eldee(m): 6:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Brilliant post. cool
texazzpete:

@eldee
I'm surprised people are still arguing with you. And all those crying racism need to go for an IQ test ASAP.

This is a man who had twice been cautioned for careless driving and had shown a disregard for highway safety. After being disqualified the silly fellow still went on driving.
Why are we so quick to pull the 'racism' card for one man's foolishness? You want the Home Office to rescind their decision, do you know the furore that will be caused if this fellow goes back on the road and kills someone?

He had his chance and he blew it. Simple as that.

Funny how the same people supporting this man's lawless behaviour are the ones often seen on NL muttering about the need for a revolution in Nigeria.

This reminds me of the case of the Nigerian ambassadorial candidate to the US being rejected allegedly because his son had a pending rape case on his hands.
Everyone screamed racism . . .

I don't understand how you'll give diplomatic immunity to the family of a man whose son has committed series of criminal offences.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

You are a disgrace to the human race!

Yeah yeah yeah whatever poop head.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by presido1: 7:51pm On Dec 14, 2009
eldee:

You must be kidding on the highlighted.

Well the article did not state that he drove under the influence of anything,

Is traffic offence a criminal offence?

I believe their are other things that was not stated in the article otherwise traffic offence can never deport a legal residence, it can only get you a fine and some points on your DL.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by 4Play(m): 7:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
It seems that because we Nigerians come from a lawless country, we can't get our head round countries trying to apply the rule of law.

With all the lives maimed by road accidents in Nigeria, it seems we have learnt nothing.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 8:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
eldee:

You're allowed to represent Britain in an athletic competition as long as you're legally resident and in the process of applying for  British passport.
He probably got a Residence permit in the UK by marrying a British Citizen, that gives him the opportunity to choose to contest for the UK.

He decided to take everything for granted and commited multiple indictable offences and got done for it.
The Criminal Justice System doesn't care if you're Gordon Brown's Chinese sister-in-law, when you (a foreign national) commit an indictable offence, you have to leave.

Now he was a multiple offender, my niece, aged six could have been unlucky to be on the road while he was driving under the influence.
He's not being deported because he's black, he's being deported because he went against the promise he made to be allowed to remain in this country.
He committed a crime, was pardoned but nah, he had to take it to the next level.

stop adding your own to the article, the article we are talking about here didn't say he committed any other offense apart from the traffic offense, so does that warrant a deportation? he's been living in Britain for almost 12 years married to a Briton with a child, so they still want to deport him for a traffic offence, that does not make sense to me at all. so all the time he represented them, he had a British passport or he was foreigner and was still allowed to participate when he's never a citizen, something is not right in this issue
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by adconline(m): 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
eldee @
It's so obvious that the press is trying to play down the offences to sell papers

Maybe this guy paid the press not to report that he had a DUI  on his record?  Time for FIFA,IOC and IAAF to impose rules that non-citizens should  not compete for resident countries if they do not carry passports of that country.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
presido1:

You must be kidding on the highlighted.
Well the article did not state that he drove under the influence of anything,
Is traffic offence a criminal offence?

If you drive under the influence, you will be arrested on the spot and will go to court.
If you drive in the UK without driving documents, it's a civil case. You don't even have to be in Court and the maximum punishment you can get is some few points off your driving license(when u eventually get it) and some sorta fine.
This man drove under the influence.

I believe their are other things that was not stated in the article otherwise traffic offence can never deport a legal residence, it can only get you a fine and some points on your DL.

Only a criminal offence coulda triggered his deportation order.
I doubt any Magistrate Judge/Crown Court judge will give a deportation order to someone based on a civil case.
This issue is as clear as new glass. This man broke the law and i think he deserves to be deported.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Only a criminal offence coulda triggered his deportation order.
I doubt any Magistrate Judge/Crown Court judge will give a deportation order to someone based on a civil case.
This issue is as clear as new glass. This man broke the law and i think he deserves to be deported.

we are all commenting based on what was provided on the article and this same article didn't say he committed any other offense except the traffic offense, so why are some people making up an offense for him?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by adconline(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
Would careless driving a couple of times constitute a criminal violation? Doesnt a judge have the power to up a sentence if there have several violations?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 8:52pm On Dec 14, 2009
adconline:

Would careless driving a couple of times constitute a criminal violation? Doesnt a judge have the power to up a sentence if there have several violations?

Running a red light is not 'careless' driving. . . .it can KILL people.

If he got sent to jail for the violation then it is obviously a criminal offence and he is thus liable for deportation.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

Running a red light is not 'careless' driving. . . .it can KILL people.

If he got sent to jail for the violation then it is obviously a criminal offence and he is thus liable for deportation.

deportation to where? with his wife (Briton) and daughter (Briton) he's been in UK more than 12 years and married to a Briton with kid.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2009
adconline:

Would careless driving a couple of times constitute a criminal violation?  Doesnt a judge have the power to up a sentence if there have several violations?

This man went to Prison for 5 months.
Obviously, his crime was more than driving without a license.
He has been caught several times for careless driving so he deserves to be deported.

An average of 12 children die on the streets of UK every day via road accident.

honeric01:

deportation to where? with his wife (Briton) and daughter (Briton) he's been in UK more than 12 years and married to a Briton with kid.

If he has not converted his IDL to a British passport then he can be deported.
The judge will tell his wife and kid to follow him to Nigeria if they love him that much.
Look at this man, the State can even take back their British passport these days if it's a serious crime.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

The judge will tell his wife and kid to follow him to Nigeria if they love him that much.
Look at this man, the State can even take back their British passport these days if it's a serious crime.

according to the only article we have connected to this case, it didn't state that he committed any other crime, so we shouldn't make something else up.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by skfa1: 9:05pm On Dec 14, 2009
oK guys, if assuming they deport him, what will happen to his child? will he be able to take his child with him?

Remember that his child needs a dad in his/her life.

This is just a driving offence and does not worth deportation.

So again lets assume that he already got his passport , will they still deport him?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by debosky(m): 9:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
honeric01:

according to the only article we have connected to this case, it didn't state that he committed any other crime, so we shouldn't make something else up.

Who is making anything up? He was jailed for his driving offences - once you get a jail term for an offence, you can be deported. It's that simple.

Whether or not a driving violation is sufficient for deportation is not a matter for us to discuss - the British have decided it is.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by skfa1: 9:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
Somebody pls answer this question

If he was born in UK (british), what will happen?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 9:08pm On Dec 14, 2009
skfa1:

Somebody pls answer this question

If he was born in UK (british), what will happen?

If he was born in the UK, nothing will happen.
He will serve his sentence and go back home but since he is a foreigner. . . . .they will send him back to where he came from.

It is that simple!!!
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 9:17pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

Who is making anything up? He was jailed for his driving offences - once you get a jail term for an offence, you can be deported. It's that simple.

Whether or not a driving violation is sufficient for deportation is not a matter for us to discuss - the British have decided it is.

and what if he's already a British passport holder?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by skfa1: 9:20pm On Dec 14, 2009
honeric01:

and what if he's already a British passport holder?

The same question i just asked and i got the below answer, can u see clearly how life is unfair now? cheiii

~Sauron~:

If he was born in the UK, nothing will happen.
He will serve his sentence and go back home but since he is a foreigner. . . . .they will send him back to where he came from.

It is that simple!!!
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by 4Play(m): 9:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
skfa1:

The same question i just asked and i got the below answer, can u see clearly how life is unfair now? cheiii

What would be 'fairness'? Deporting Brits from Britain?
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by honeric01(m): 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
4 Play:

What would be 'fairness'? Deporting Brits from Britain?

yes, deporting Brits from Britain to where, i don't understand that part undecided or do we have 2 Britain?

skfa1:

that answer is wrong, he's now a Briton and cant be sent anywhere or have you seen or read anything like that before? (i might be wrong but i haven't seen or read one before)
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by Sauron1: 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
honeric01:

that answer is wrong, he's now a Briton and cant be sent anywhere or have you seen or read anything like that before? (i might be wrong but i haven't seen or read one before)

U don't automatically become a British citizen immediately you marry a Briton. . . . .Stop spreading chaff here.
It takes about 3 years before that process of becoming a British season can be complete.
During that transition period, if he commits any serious offence. . . . .He will get deported to Lagos.

This man married a Brit. . . . . .He has to wait 2 years after marrying her to get his ILR. . . . .
Then he must wait another 12 months before he can convert ILR to a British passport and that is if he does not have a criminal record.
If he does, his application to become a British citizen will be declined and if he commits any offence that lands him in Prison, he can be deported.
Re: Nigerian For Deportation After Winning Gold For Britain by skfa1: 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Pls dont say that again on this NL  cheesy , the truth be told, no judge will ever say that, i know this people very well. Even the wife will never allow that. If a white lady have a baby for you, just believe that the baby is for her as she will never allow you to take the baby back home forever unless u escape with the baby

An incident once occurred like that few years ago, the man escaped with the two child (boy and girl) to naija, they are now grown up now, i used to see them in those day.

Well dont let me derail the thread, the fact is that no judge will ever say that and the wife will never agree. Simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Police Reacts To Report Of Officers Protesting Unpaid Allowances Since 2015 / Hadi Sirika Slams Extra Lessons For Children In Schools / Those Calling For My Resignation Are Kids, Ayu To Wike’s Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.