Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,001 members, 7,821,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG (42748 Views)

2019: If I Were You I Won’t Contest At 70 – Customs CG Hammed Ali Tells Buhari / "I Won’t Appear Before You On Wednesday", Ali, Customs Boss Writes Senate / I Was Not Employed To Wear Uniforms – Customs CG Ali Replies Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by AZeD1(m): 9:45pm On Mar 21, 2017
DocHMD:

Why should anyone be made to pay retroactive duties on a car he innocently bought from a dealer 10 years ago because the dealer connived with some pot-belly custom officers to circumvent the system? Who should pay for the inadequacies of customs? The citizens?
Ignorance is not an excuse under law.
Going by your thinking, why should anyone have to give up a stolen property bought innocently in the market?

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by blazhykowskyi(m): 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2017
Pedrop:

Wow, so his disobedience should have been overlooked and cos he is an appointee by your god Buhari ? This is a class of stupidity i'v never seen before.

Did he come in his uniform and the issue on which he was invited for wasn't discussed ? What is the essence of the uniform if it must not be put on ? Tell me please.

You sounded like one who still wish the world mosaic era and not modern civility others are enjoying. You must be from the North or even a Niger man who now claim Northerner in Nigeria.

stop being sentimental. if the law mandates him to wear uniform, that would have been another case. he could wear it if he wants to. look, if something is not in the constitution, you can not be forced to do it. you are inadvertently turning the senators into a tin god.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by gameboyo: 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2017
DocHMD:
I laugh at clueless nigerians who are supporting Tyrant Hammed Ali.

You bought a family car (e.g Siena) from a dealer who underpaid customs 6 years ago, Ali then ask customs officers to leave the borders ( their primary duty posts) and go out ILLEGALLY on the streets for stop and search, while you are returning from church with your family after being harrased by Police, Road safety, Vio, Latsma, Custom officers asks you to pull over, ask for your custom papers and declare that the dealer whom you bought the car from 6 YEARS AGO didn't pay enough duty.

They order you and your family members out of your car and drive to the custom office while you and your family trek home. Who is doing who?

You really think Custom officers will have the nerve to stop Saraki or Dino's convoy when they are on the move for payment of duty? It is you poverty-infested zombies who throw owambe when you buy your first Golf 2 and 3 that will be their target.
And when that happens, make sure you lament in silence and don't come here crying.

U are a rare gem. Hard to find just like diamond

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Osashalom: 9:57pm On Mar 21, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Lol...wise man, drag the judiciary into the scenario: its now executive vs legislative vs judiciary. Legislative can't discuss a case that is in court, and therefore, can't enforce your presence...very wise man.

I was thinking he would get a court injunction but that would have been a slap on the senators faces, so he went the easy way...

Wisdom is profitable to direct!

SO the show is now a triple treat match.
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by plainmirror(m): 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Lol...wise man, drag the judiciary into the scenario: its now executive vs legislative vs judiciary. Legislative can't discuss a case that is in court, and therefore, can't enforce your presence...very wise man.

I was thinking he would get a court injunction but that would have been a slap on the senators faces, so he went the easy way...

Wisdom is profitable to direct!

Is there really anything worth celebrating about the customs boss?

Why do most Nigerians like to major in minor issues and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Mboi2: 10:22pm On Mar 21, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

How does Golfs 2 n 3 translate to poverty?
It is poverty na, wat are you using Golf 3 for, at this time and age? That's sign of poverty bro

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Mboi2: 10:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
blazhykowskyi:

stop being sentimental. if the law mandates him to wear uniform, that would have been another case. he could wear it if he wants to. look, if something is not in the constitution, you can not be forced to do it. you are inadvertently turning the senators into a tin god.
This one doesn't even know his left and right

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by SmartchoicesNG: 10:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
Mboi2:

It is poverty na, wat are you using Golf 3 for, at this time and age? That's sign of poverty bro
Poverty is in your head not in the kind of car you drive

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by BigIyanga: 10:26pm On Mar 21, 2017
akinszz:
you are not the target, could you imagine someone bought a vehicle worth almost 400million naira and using his influence not to pay import duty of 74million... that's luxury you ought to pay for it. do you know how many cars each of these people have... they have been doing that in the past administration buying luxury cars and got waivers. this administration has put a stop to it.
Stupidity is delusionally thinking that Customs guys have the balls to stop senators and politrickians. Regulars will become abused and exploited by Customs

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Mboi2: 10:29pm On Mar 21, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Poverty is in your head not in the kind of car you drive
Sorry sir, I don't know you drive Golf 3. Don't be offended.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by SmartchoicesNG: 10:31pm On Mar 21, 2017
Mboi2:

Sorry sir, I don't know you drive Golf 3. Don't be offended.
I don't. But I don't mind having a Golf MK1 as a daily driver. cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Mboi2: 10:37pm On Mar 21, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
Don't buy a car unless it carries genuine custom duty.
if u dont do this and u get embarrassed along the road then u re at fault.
b4 I paid completely for my car I went with the dealer to custom's offc to verify the duty I was given.
If everybody stops buying car without proper duty smugglers will be out of business and that Will be better for our country.
buy a car without duty at ur own peril.
I work in a place where I cannot be arrested for fake duty, yet I insisted on having genuine duty.
And you think that duty paid for your car is sufficient? When you went to customs office with your custom papers, they only told you the duty paid was OK not that complete duty was paid. I've also done that severally for my car's and my brother's cars.
That car you are driving, do you know how the duty was generated? Do you know how much customs estimated the car? You people should not support what you know nothing of. The chairman of Grimaldi was complaining about how customs generate duties for vehicles that they don't publicize the actual estimate of vehicles which they use to generate duties to be paid. Senate should not allow that to work because that your car you think you confirmed from customs will be impounded.

3 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by lukmonhusluk: 10:46pm On Mar 21, 2017
interesting Administration.....
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by ayindejimmy(m): 10:56pm On Mar 21, 2017
DocHMD:

You bought a family car (e.g Siena) from a dealer who underpaid customs 6 years ago, Ali then ask customs officers to leave the borders ( their primary duty posts) and go out ILLEGALLY on the streets for stop and search, while you are returning from church with your family after being harrased by Police, Road safety, Vio, Latsma, Custom officers asks you to pull over, ask for your custom papers and declare that the dealer whom you bought the car from 6 YEARS AGO didn't pay enough duty.

They order you and your family members out of your car and drive to the custom office while you and your family trek home. Who is doing who?

You really think Custom officers will have the nerve to stop Saraki or Dino's convoy when they are on the move for payment of duty? It is you poverty-infested zombies who throw owambe when you buy your first Golf 2 and 3 that will be their target.
And when that happens, make sure you lament in silence and don't come here crying.

That policy had been suspended.

Do you think it's about the masses to the senators?

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by inioluwaDaniels(m): 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2017
Hw dat one take consign me?u fit dissappear if u like self
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Prasido17(m): 11:03pm On Mar 21, 2017
I am a waste tire supplier and I have about 1,000 waste tires and above ,
if you are interested I will supply them to your company FOR RECYCLING.

CONTACT thinktwice4jesus17@hotmail.com
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Rexnegro(m): 11:05pm On Mar 21, 2017
psucc:
Really this journey is too long and quite uncertain.

How can we repay this people in 2019?
is just to vote Them out come 2019, but the problem is some people are still stupid to think they worth to be There representing Because of the shared 1k they received
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by dumodust(m): 11:20pm On Mar 21, 2017
deking:

This is the understanding of someone who is myopic or lacks depth of thinking about this policy. There are no quick wins to fixing a country. In the scenario you have painted one would expect that the public discuss would be how to make the policy more effective without bringing unnecessary hardship on the citizens.

The owner of the Sienna could also have taken advantage of the window created by the Customs to ratify his documents. Will you say someone who bought a stolen car should be allowed to keep enjoying the vehicle because he did not take the pain to do what is right.

Please governance is not for kids. We should learn to engage our minds and take a wider and far more reaching look at issues. The policy is the BVN of car importation in Nigeria and like the BVN it will assist in no small measure to curb corruption especially of custom officers.

Is the policy perfect? No.
Is it a good direction to go? Yes .
Can it be improved upon? Yes.
Who will assist in identifying the possible loop-holes ? We citizens.
Why the citizens? They are familiar with all the channels that government officials use to circumvent the system and cheat on citizens daily.

This is the way countries build systems.
Dumb post... my candid opinion

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by dumodust(m): 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2017
bestgift4ever:
Oga u must appear before the Senate on Wednesday, unless you are ready to accept disrespect from masses if ur plans work 4u.

I think the public should start a petition self, even if it is online... they are flouting the same laws they claim to be upholding
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by dumodust(m): 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
Don't buy a car unless it carries genuine custom duty.
if u dont do this and u get embarrassed along the road then u re at fault.
b4 I paid completely for my car I went with the dealer to custom's offc to verify the duty I was given.
If everybody stops buying car without proper duty smugglers will be out of business and that Will be better for our country.
buy a car without duty at ur own peril.
I work in a place where I cannot be arrested for fake duty, yet I insisted on having genuine duty.

Dude that is your problem with OCD, not ours. It is not the job of the public to go about verifying the customs clearance for everything imported that we buy including toothpick , shirts, etc
They should start doing their jobs from today, fight the corruption in their service that enables cars with fake clearance to land in the streets and fight smugglers. They cant be paid and we will be doing their jobs for them while they take the easy way out and join the long list of uniformed idiots harassing road users who haven't broken any laws. They will just join the already existing bribe takers on the road with problem unsolved.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by dumodust(m): 11:31pm On Mar 21, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

Thanks for being in the minority of those who are law-abiding.

It's sad to see just how myopic some can be here.

You can't plead ignorance when caught for tax evasion in the developed world. You won't even be given a grace period. Na jail straight
You cant start a rule today and punish so called offenders that are unaware of any crime... that is retrospective legislation. Start today... not from Nigerian independence
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:32pm On Mar 21, 2017
DocHMD:

so? they summoned him, he appeared, instead of discussing custom duties what were the silly old men doing? discussing uniform and now the guy is gone for good!
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Iyou: 12:00am On Mar 22, 2017
This sanate has nothing to offer,instead of focusing on matters that matter,they are busy talking about uniform things.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Iyou: 12:03am On Mar 22, 2017
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

so? they summoned him, he appeared, instead of discussing custom duties what were the silly old men doing? discussing uniform and now the guy is gone for good!
Saraki and co,have nothing to do in this their sanate,almost all the madates are stolen,they dont know what to talk about

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Caseless: 12:04am On Mar 22, 2017
DocHMD:

tell us why the Senate didn't address the real issues, instead chose to attack Ali and focus more on the uniform.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by dotedote: 12:10am On Mar 22, 2017
DocHMD:

I think it's high time you started looking for that crook dealer of yours.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by ayobamiakinrind(m): 12:23am On Mar 22, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

Excellent comment.

Those "thumbing up" his post want to escape paying what they should have when buying the car in the first place.

In the US, if you are caught for tax evasion, YOU PAY EVERYTHING PLUS INTEREST. AND THEN YOU WOULD GO TO JAIL.

Customs should give a grace period. Make every defaulter pay... in future, you would be diligent in paying the required duty.

Mr Toronto, do end users get punished for indirect taxes?
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by blazhykowskyi(m): 3:51am On Mar 22, 2017
Mboi2:
This one doesn't even know his left and right
who is this idiot?
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Nobody: 5:26am On Mar 22, 2017
ayobamiakinrind:

Mr Toronto, do end users get punished for indirect taxes?

Mr Ajegunle.... you bought a car and you pay duties on the car....how is that indirect? shocked

It's not compulsory to comment when you don't have anything reasonable to say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by kYjelly2: 5:26am On Mar 22, 2017
DocHMD:

Guy see ehn, the only reason I'm upset with you is that you didn't defend your position adequately.

You should have asked your detractors if its only cars that are imported.

Just ask the ediots, is it only cars that are imported Watch them fumble from pillar to post, stupidly searching for a reasonable comeback.

Ask them if they have paid duty on their air conditioner in their rooms.

Dunces.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by Nobody: 5:30am On Mar 22, 2017
dumodust:

You cant start a rule today and punish so called offenders that are unaware of any crime... that is retrospective legislation. Start today... not from Nigerian independence

Learn the meaning of the word "RETROSPECTIVE"

In 1970, was there a law saying you shouldn't pay duty on your car? Was the decree enacted in 2017?

If you cheated what's due the government in 1970, and they decide to take what you stole in 2017, they can't be blamed.

Even Jesus said, give unto Caesar's...(am not a Xtian & i agree).
Re: I Won’t Appear Before Senate Wednesday – Customs CG by kYjelly2: 5:30am On Mar 22, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

Mr Ajegunle.... you bought a car and you pay duties on the car....how is that indirect? shocked

It's not compulsory to comment when you don't have anything reasonable to say

Ah, one of the dunces is still online. Lemme engage him angry

Mr Justin, is it only cars that are imported

So why are they only focusing on cars

What about the air conditioner in your room, have you paid custom duty for it, just incase Panasonic or whoever you bought it from didn't pay

Answer my question if indeed you are a man born of a woman undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Seven Presidential Aspirants Reject Governors’ List / Check Out This Advert On Today's Sun Newspaper. / Tinubu Makes Brief Appearance At Niger Rally, Fails To Give Speech (Video, Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.