Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,382,564 members, 5,315,782 topics. Date: Friday, 13 December 2019 at 03:13 PM

What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa (60546 Views)

It Certification From The British Computer Society Equivalent To Bsc From Uk / What Does The Future Holds For The Hnd Holders? / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 8:36am On Oct 25
Hi,

First, Nigerians need to understand that there is nothing like free education, except you win a full scholarship by some well known international organizations like the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship/Fellowship. Even with those international scholarship, they will advise you to come with money to cater for your 3months ( like $3000-$5000) upkeep before the disbursement of the scholarship money. Even Germany and some Scandinavian countries, you must provide evidence of at least €8000 - €15000 to cater for your subsistence at least for 1year and most often their embassies in Nigeria will want this money paid into an account in those countries before a student visa is granted. Even the US Embassy will need an evidence of a “liquid cash” in the region of 7 - 12 million Naira. Even with that, it is not a guarantee to get an F1 visa.

In the USA, graduate studies are like applying for job. You need good GPA which if your ND & HND are in the Upper Credits, then your Equivalent GPA according to WES Evaluation will look pretty nice. You will need Statement of Purpose, GRE, TOEFL, Recommendation Letters (2 or 3). If you are a STEM Graduate, do yourself a favor by scoring great in the Quant section of the GRE and modest score in the Verbal. TOEFL is good if your seeking a Graduate Teaching Assistantships and applying for some internal and external competitive fellowships.

Be upfront by contacting Professors (2 or 3) who you like to work in their research groups and maintain a professional relationship with them that will endear you to them and find a way to informally seek to work for them and if they agree, even mention their names in your Statement of Purpose and why you would like to work for them. Be upfront as the relationship develops to ask for sponsorship from them (Research or Graduate Assistantships). Talk to the Department about funding available. While you are preparing, develop skills that might be of help and make it possible for the school to grant you Assistantships and waive tuition fees and even pay you monthly stipend until you finish your program. If you studied HND Computer Engineering and you have been practicing real hardware engineering, it might pay you some premiums when you get to school and may start working for your department based on your already developed skills in computer hardware engineering.
Even when the school offers you Assistantships, mind you that you must provide 7-12million Naira for the US Embassy to grant you F1 Student visa. None of these is a guarantee.

So you need to know which country do you want want and prepare for their requirements and documentation.

Will be available to answer you and assist you more.

nappy760:
Good morning guys.....I just came across this thread and I am really interested in furthering my education.

I graduated from Yaba College of Technology in 2012 with:
An OND in Computer engineering (lower credit)
HND in Electrical Electronics Engineering (lower credit)

I would like to know the steps I can take in furthering my education with the above qualifications.
I visited the WES website and tried using their free tool but yabatech is not listed in it.
Info for America, Canada and European countries were free tuition/scholarships are available for foreign students

Thanks in advance

kolawolekehinde250@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 8:45am On Oct 25
There is, it is called NARIC but it depends on what program you are applying to. Almost every EU nation has a NARIC Organization responsible for Qualification Evaluation.

nappy760:
Please are there Credential Evaluation bodies for European countries too?
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 9:06am On Oct 25
WAEC Certificate is not needed

[img][/img]

j0rdannkyle:

WAEC certificate is no longer a requirement. You can proceed with just your transcripts.

https://www.wes.org/required-documents

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by kehindetawede: 3:40pm On Nov 17
Knowledge is power, the more we seek, the more we find. The more we find, the more we know. The more we know the better we become.

GNwafor:

Thank you Amb. Kehinde Tawede.

I just saw that a lot of people (Nigerians) are wallowing in ignorance when there is an overflow of information.

I am very happy that your found this thread highly informative, as you captured it succinctly with your submission, "I have never read anything this comprehensive on this particular topic"

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by kehindetawede: 3:44pm On Nov 17
Nice one.

GNwafor:
Hi,

First, Nigerians need to understand that there is nothing like free education, except you win a full scholarship by some well known international organizations like the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship/Fellowship. Even with those international scholarship, they will advise you to come with money to cater for your 3months ( like $3000-$5000) upkeep before the disbursement of the scholarship money. Even Germany and some Scandinavian countries, you must provide evidence of at least €8000 - €15000 to cater for your subsistence at least for 1year and most often their embassies in Nigeria will want this money paid into an account in those countries before a student visa is granted. Even the US Embassy will need an evidence of a “liquid cash” in the region of 7 - 12 million Naira. Even with that, it is not a guarantee to get an F1 visa.

In the USA, graduate studies are like applying for job. You need good GPA which if your ND & HND are in the Upper Credits, then your Equivalent GPA according to WES Evaluation will look pretty nice. You will need Statement of Purpose, GRE, TOEFL, Recommendation Letters (2 or 3). If you are a STEM Graduate, do yourself a favor by scoring great in the Quant section of the GRE and modest score in the Verbal. TOEFL is good if your seeking a Graduate Teaching Assistantships and applying for some internal and external competitive fellowships.

Be upfront by contacting Professors (2 or 3) who you like to work in their research groups and maintain a professional relationship with them that will endear you to them and find a way to informally seek to work for them and if they agree, even mention their names in your Statement of Purpose and why you would like to work for them. Be upfront as the relationship develops to ask for sponsorship from them (Research or Graduate Assistantships). Talk to the Department about funding available. While you are preparing, develop skills that might be of help and make it possible for the school to grant you Assistantships and waive tuition fees and even pay you monthly stipend until you finish your program. If you studied HND Computer Engineering and you have been practicing real hardware engineering, it might pay you some premiums when you get to school and may start working for your department based on your already developed skills in computer hardware engineering.
Even when the school offers you Assistantships, mind you that you must provide 7-12million Naira for the US Embassy to grant you F1 Student visa. None of these is a guarantee.

So you need to know which country do you want want and prepare for their requirements and documentation.

Will be available to answer you and assist you more.

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by kehindetawede: 3:47pm On Nov 17
This is a great relief for most people applying for WES evaluation with credentials from Nigeria. The WASSCE and NECO hurdle is time consuming and waste of money.

GNwafor:
WAEC Certificate is not needed

[img][/img]

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Lilymatty(f): 12:47pm On Nov 30
Ghost 87,, ur explanation was really helpful.. And i urge the house to update us more on this topic.. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English / How Much Do Airline Pilots Earn Monthly In Nigeria? / Obinna Ukwuani Returns To Nigeria After Turning Down Job Offer In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.