Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? (33527 Views)

Nigerian Ladies Stop Marrying Men That Are Not Already Rich / Woman In Court For Marrying Two Men In Ebonyi State / How My Brother Learnt His Lesson In A Hard Way After Marrying A Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by pmatchuks: 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
Polygamy not good bro, alot of lessons has been learnt, Christianity and wisdom combined helped to curb polygamy,

4 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by introvertme: 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
bukatyne:

God designed one man to marry one woman.

The population of men/women in the whole world is balanced enough to ensure everyone who desires marriage is paired off.

Abraham who is described in the Bible as "the Friend of God", (James 2: 23) was a polygamist, He married Sarah and Hagar, as it is written: "And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian…. and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife." (Genesis 16: 3)

As a matter of fact, God was in favour of Abraham's marrying Hagar. This point is buttressed by the fact that when Hagar attempted to escape from Abraham's house because of her insubordination, God through His angel ordered her to return and submit to Sarah. He said to Hagar: "Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands... I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude…”- Genesis 16: 5-12.

Some argue that Abraham was impelled by the circumstance of Sarah's barrenness to marry Hagar. This argument is most untenable. If it was forbidden to marry more than one wife, no circumstance would have forced Abraham - a man known for his exemplary character of faith and obedience - to break the rule.

Jacob who had twelve sons through whom the Jewish Nation emerged, was a confirmed polygamist. He married Leah and Rachel and later had their handmaids, Zilpah and Bilhah. (Genesis 29: 21-35; 30: 1-13; 35: 23-26) All of them had children for him and none of his children was treated as "illegitimate". Out of the tribe of Judah, the son of Leah, Jesus Christ the Righteous who is the Saviour of mankind, came into the world; and St. Paul whom even H. G. Wells acknowledged as “a man of great intellectual vigour", and, whom St. Peter commended for his wisdom, sprang up from the tribe of Benjamin the son of Rachel. - Genesis 29: 31-35; 35: 16-18; Matthew 1: 1, 2; Hebrews 7; 14; Philippians 3: 4, 5; 2 Peter 3: 15, 16.

After the twelve tribes of Israel had been organised into a nation, their customs were brought under the strict guidance of the laws which God enacted through Moses. There were laws against incest, fornication, adultery, prostitution and every form of immorality. But nobody can cite a single instance of a law that prohibited a man from marrying more than one wife.

The ancient worthies enjoyed polygamy in abundance of freedom. Gideon was the husband of many wives and he had 70 children. (Judges 8: 30) Elkanah was a polygamist, and it was one of his wives, Hannah, that was the mother of Samuel the famous prophet. (1 Samuel 1: 1-3, 19-20) What about David, the anointed king of Israel, who was described as "a man after God's heart"? He, too, had many wives, and God was not displeased. (2 Samuel 3: 2-5; 5: 12-16) But the moment David overstepped his bounds and committed adultery with Uriah's wife contrary to the divine law (Exodus 20: 14) God showed His disapproval and anger immediately, and subjected David to discipline and caused the child who was the fruit of their adulterous union to pass away. - 2 Samuel 11: 1-12; 12: 23.

The most striking point in the whole incident, which is very relevant to our argument; is that God Himself indicated through His prophet Nathan, that He gave David WIVES to marry. Nathan told David: "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; and I gave thee thy master's (Saul's) house, and THY MASTER'S WIVES into thy bosom...and if that had been too little (not enough), I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things (including wives)."-2 Samuel 12: 7-12.
The point here is, if God did not approve of polygamy, why did He give David his "master's wives" for inheritance?

We cannot do without touching briefly on the issue of King Solomon who was a polygamist to the core. He was the husband of 700 wives and 300 concubines. God was not displeased with him because of his marrying more than one wife. It was when, at his old age, he committed idolatry through the influence of some of his wives who were pagans that he incurred the anger of God. - 1 Kings 11: 1-10.

Anyone who has read the Bible well cannot fail to understand that God's attitude was never in disfavour of polygamy. The practice was legalised, and to this effect God enacted a law to guide the polygamist. As it is written: “If a man has two wives one beloved, and the other hated, and they have had children by him, and the son of the hated be the firstborn; and he meaneth to divide his substance among his sons: he may not make the son of the beloved (wife) the firstborn, and prefer him before the son of the hated (wife): But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn: and shall give him double portion of all he hath. For this is the first of his children: and to him are due the first birthrights."- Deuteronomy 21:15-17. Douay Version.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Bills2307(m): 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2017
NA just woman o. Come be two women, = global warming grin

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by dragonking3: 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2017
Joavid:
I guess you're talking about non-Christians.

it's just easier and stressfree to marry one wife this days. Plus financial obligations.
Since you are a christian kindly explain to us the message in Isaiah 4:1. Tnx

Remember that Isaiah was a prophet whose prophesy came true

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by abbeyty(m): 9:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
yomi007k:
grin

U seff laff...but na true nau.

you were on point but funny
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by meritknight: 9:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
I tire for d matter ooo!!! see gobe!!!

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by moshould(m): 9:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
The country don teach us sense, prick no dey stand anyhow again...
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
In the next couple of decades, marriage will be replaced with 7 to 10 yrs of contract. The population of Earth can not be sustained. This planet can only support about a million lives. So marriage is just one of the things that must go or there will be continuous war to reduce the population of the planet.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 15, 2017
smiley
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by SalamRushdie: 9:23pm On Apr 15, 2017
I have never cheated in my life but I know that one woman is not enough for a man

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Quinn22(f): 9:25pm On Apr 15, 2017
Get ready to face hell on earth! Do you know how much conflict you will face? I'm afraid to tell you that you look like someone that wants to sign a death sentence. There's going to be so much war between your wives and kids, they will most likely kill each other.
sgtponzihater:
Actually planning taking a 2nd wife this year. Most women this days ain't loyal, my wife have made life unbearable for me since I told her I want to get her a sister and a companion. But definitely by the end of this year I must. Actually plan marrying three from d three different tribes. My first wife is Ibo which makes easier because Ibo's hate d second wife stuff.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Basfaq(m): 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2017
seyigiggle:

yes it is. you don't have to share your husband as in Islam.
From where you carry your Islam come.U better that nonesense.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2017
Worldwide male to female ratio is almost 1:1

The census conducted in 2006 found out that males outnumber females by 3 million in Nigeria.

Check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio

Face the facts and ignore the myths about human sex ration.

AreaFada2:

That is very subjective. There are also nuclear monogamous families with three or four kids. They still fight dirty when their rich patriarch kicks the bucket.

Most 9ja families are basically dysfunctional. Monogamous or polygamous. Looking back at what I saw around me growing up. Including homes of profs with foreign wives then. Although most people got used to it that way and never consider own family as dysfunctional. Only that OBJ is a public figure and we got to know.

Cheaper yes, easier it depends, enjoyable not so straightforward.

I see a lot of hypocrisy in our system. The vast majority of men: civil servants, pastors, Imams, soldiers, bankers, doctors, lawyers, mechanics, bus drivers and all have one or several girlfriends/concubines outside.

Were our ancestors who did the honourable thing by marrying the women not far more honest?

Who will marry the excess women in the system if all men just marry one?

The multiple gfs/concubines system is masking or at least temporarily solving potential social problems. Because if not, many women would be economically & amorously far worse off.

For the record, my granddad was monogamous, my dad too. So I'm not here defending family tradition or my own lifestyle.

Just because we might prefer one lifestyle doesn't mean we should prescribe that as the absolute best.

How would you address the matter of millions of women that would have no man if all men stuck to one woman only? Go to sperm bank for a baby? Buy a robot lover? Turn lesbian? shocked shocked

It is like telling female students to stop multiple dating/aristos, without govt bursary or adequate student package provided by state or FG.
Desirable as might be, it just won't work because there are too many poor people and a few greedy ones. Many will simply not complete their studies. Period.

We must consider these things first.

8 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Buharimustgo: 9:29pm On Apr 15, 2017
bukatyne:

The population of men/women in the whole world is balanced enough to ensure everyone who desires marriage is paired off.

Madam I totally disagree with you,please stop consoling yourself,the women are times two of the men
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by ussy09(m): 9:29pm On Apr 15, 2017
Kabir
FACT OF LIFE: STRENGTH OF A
WOMAN

A woman once said, Beauty attracts men but wisdom keeps them. Elegance catches men’s attention but intelligence convinces them. Nagging irritates men but constructive silence weakens them. The ‘boy’ in every man pumps out occasionally, the ability to handle this is a woman’s truest maturity. Men have secret struggles and silent pains, should you ever find them out, you have exhibited the greatest maturity. In the long-run, your ‘words’ matters more to a man than your ‘looks’, so invest the right words. Earn a man’s respect and he will consider you the yard stick for all his action. Learn to mold the moods of your man. Men will naturally give u their futures if they can recall your maturity in yesterday’s issues…

Women are everywhere but queens are scarce. Let the queen in you come alive and he will hold you in high esteem. ...Woman, Build your Home through Wisdom!
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Basfaq(m): 9:30pm On Apr 15, 2017
seyigiggle:

yes it is. you don't have to share your husband as in Islam.
From where you carry your own Islam come.U better stop that nonesense.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by eodavids(m): 9:31pm On Apr 15, 2017
This matter in discussion here makes sense.

There is a school of thought that propounds the notion that if our societies return to such that a man Marie's multiple wives, the society shall become better thannit is.

Now, without long story:
The only person who can Mary more than one wife is the person who married the first wife customarily.

Customarily means that the marriage is purely traditional. (Note that traditional includes also sharia law-marriage)

For those who married in the court, marriage registry and or in the Church, their marriage is covered by the Marriage Act (M. A) and if any person whose marriage is covered by the Act attempts to marry another while the first marriage subsists, then such a person is attempting Bygamy which is an offence punishable by imprisonment...

I will add more if you Guys are interested

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2017
sincere4u what do you have to say
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 15, 2017
I don't know why they stopped, but I can never be party to polygamy. I will never share manhood with another woman, it's not wifi...

6 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Akanbiogun: 9:36pm On Apr 15, 2017
Where did u got your statistics?
bukatyne:

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Lastking147(m): 9:36pm On Apr 15, 2017
One wife no problem
But I'll surely get side chicks to dey use do relaxation

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by tintingz(m): 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2017
AreaFada2:

What of those who do not believe in same God you believe in?

Look around you. Do you not see more young widows than young widowers?

In war, which gender die the most? Men.

I'm not basing my submission on what you think God intended. That is your personal belief. Around 60% of world population (India, China & a larger number of Western population do not believe your God theory).

I am talking based on scientific reality of today.

There is higher population of women than men. Partly due to XY chromosome whereby X-linked diseases male inherit from mother cannot be corrected by another X chromosome like females can do. Miscarriage of male pregnancy is higher & child mortality of males is higher too. Then in adulthood war, hazardous jobs, riskier lifestyle like smoking/drinking, traffic accidents and more all reduce male population well below female's. This is a scientific fact seen around us.

We're very far from Eden where it was just Adam & Eve, driven out long ago to face all kinds of hazards. grin cheesy

In Africa, modern pentecostalism blinds us to what is under our nose korokoro. Even those who would claim to be educate. shocked shocked
What kind of rubbish is this?

You didnt even provide sources to your biological fallacies, it make no sense.

According to world report stats, men population is higher than that of women.

4 Likes

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2017
yomi007k:
grin

No money to even marry one- u dey say 2 or 3.

Alakoba

Na you talk the truth. Wehdone Sire
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by ontruth(m): 9:40pm On Apr 15, 2017
Alert:
Christianity happened undecided
Which Christianity?Solomon Na pagan?
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
Akanbiogun:

Check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio

Worldwide male to female ratio is almost 1:1

The census conducted in 2006 found out that males outnumber females by 3 million in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by impact55: 9:42pm On Apr 15, 2017
AreaFada2:

That is very subjective. There are also nuclear monogamous families with three or four kids. They still fight dirty when their rich patriarch kicks the bucket.

Most 9ja families are basically dysfunctional. Monogamous or polygamous. Looking back at what I saw around me growing up. Including homes of profs with foreign wives then. Although most people got used to it that way and never consider own family as dysfunctional. Only that OBJ is a public figure and we got to know.

Cheaper yes, easier it depends, enjoyable not so straightforward.

I see a lot of hypocrisy in our system. The vast majority of men: civil servants, pastors, Imams, soldiers, bankers, doctors, lawyers, mechanics, bus drivers and all have one or several girlfriends/concubines outside.

Were our ancestors who did the honourable thing by marrying the women not far more honest?

Who will marry the excess women in the system if all men just marry one?

The multiple gfs/concubines system is masking or at least temporarily solving potential social problems. Because if not, many women would be economically & amorously far worse off.

For the record, my granddad was monogamous, my dad too. So I'm not here defending family tradition or my own lifestyle.

Just because we might prefer one lifestyle doesn't mean we should prescribe that as the absolute best.

How would you address the matter of millions of women that would have no man if all men stuck to one woman only? Go to sperm bank for a baby? Buy a robot lover? Turn lesbian? shocked shocked

It is like telling female students to stop multiple dating/aristos, without govt bursary or adequate student package provided by state or FG.
Desirable as might be, it just won't work because there are too many poor people and a few greedy ones. Many will simply not complete their studies. Period.

We must consider these things first.

You've made a BIG SENSE.

What do people who are against this use their senses for? If
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by HARDDON: 9:42pm On Apr 15, 2017
Prettythicksmi:
WTF!I will rather remain single that share dick with my fellow gender,that is rubbish.Mi o raye oshi

Here comes d DICKtator! So of all the fun, flair , glitz , glamour, financial , protection a man bring, its only d d1ck u dont wano share? What is man to u: Dickers? Smh!

@Op, kuky kee us instead of recommending 2 wifys!

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by HARDDON: 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2017
Prettythicksmi:
WTF!I will rather remain single that share dick with my fellow gender,that is rubbish.Mi o raye oshi

Here comes d DICKtator! So of all the fun, flair , glitz , glamour, financial , protection a man bring, its only d d1ck u dont wano share? What is man to u: Dickers? Smh!

@Op, kuky kee us instead of recommending 2 wifys! angry
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by HARDDON: 9:44pm On Apr 15, 2017
Prettythicksmi:

Here comes d DICKtator! So of all the fun, flair , glitz , glamour, financial security, protection etc a man bring, its only d d1ck u dont wano share? shocked

What is man to u: Dickers? Smh! angry

@Op, kuku kee us instead of recommending 2 wifys! angry
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 15, 2017
HARDDON:

@Op, kuky kee us instead of recommending 2 wifys! angry
Hehehehehe yes ooo,i cant share my man.
Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by macphilip: 9:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
There is nothing bad about marrying 2 or more wives.
its a personal decision for the man to make.

If He is comfortable with it and ready to face the numerous
challenges that comes with a polygamous home.
like settling unending quarrels, additional financial obligations and more

To all you Christian folks saying polygamy is a sin, it seems
you worship your Pastor more than you read your Bible.
The Bible strongly condemns adultery and divorce.

1 Like

Re: Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? by tintingz(m): 9:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
Buharimustgo:

Madam I totally disagree with you,please stop consoling yourself,the women are times two of the men

Akanbiogun:
You people should do research before believing in the myth that women are much than men.

Current stats shows that men population is higher than that of women. Google is your friend.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Husband Won’t Help With House Chores / "How My Friend Tried To Destroy My Matrimonial Home" - Woman Reveals / A Nairalander's Grandma Needs Her Way Back Home - Help Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.