Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,629 members, 7,816,592 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (71630 Views)

"Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gratefulalways: 3:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
The man wants to bully you. From his action, I am sure if you had given notice of resignation your salary would have been delayed. You must have worked as an Office Assistant I guess. Never mind, don't be scared. You'll be fine.

Teensway:
Yes, thank you very much Sir.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
sholeypra:
If not in all companies,am sure most companies have this policy of notification for resignation. What I'd suggest is this, things can be settled amicably between the both of you I believe only if your boss is just being wicked. Let him know you are sorry for your actions and sincerely apologize to him and clearly stating the reasons for the resignation. This life is about networking and there is every likelihood of needing his help one way or the other in the future. If you leave him in anger, it could come back to hurt you. Talk to him like a father...#Shalom

The Boss is not being wicked...He is pissed! seems the guy absconded from his duty post....having collected his salary with notifying his boss by way of resignation letter...Do you expected the Boss to have magically sort for a replacement? which would have been easy to do if he was informed ahead of time.

and think this will make the boss not to help boys like him who would like to work while waiting to get or further their studies
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by geekybabe(f): 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
These guy shud better clear this shit properly. He might end up needing the noss in d future. Speaking from experience
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by JideAmuGiaka: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

This is one of the few sensible comments here.

ALL the jobs i have had, you have to give advance notice before quitting. Why? So that the company has ample time to find a replacement.

Quitting immediately after a salary is what probably pissed your boss off.

Check your terms of employment. If it's stated you have to give 1 month notice as is very common, you better quickly return the money before the man sues you.

All these nairaland Rambos won't help when sh1t hits the fan. Find out the legal ramifications of your actions from a lawyer - pro bono as it has been suggested.

Will he also be paid if the one month notice he gave elapses?.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
gratefulalways:
The man wants to bully you. From his action, I am sure if you had given notice of resignation your salary would have been delayed. You must have worked as an Office Assistant I guess. Never mind, don't be scared. You'll be fine.

Office assistant was exactly my work sir but he treated me like dirt.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by DLuciano: 3:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of
Are you less than 18? If yes then your former boss could be charged for under aged employment. I will never come near you, he is only intimidating you. He knows if the case is pursued in court, you will make hell of money from him. Just have your peace, nothing do you.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
KAYD007:
you guys are advising the OP wrongly.

The OP regardless of whether he is a small boy or not....was legally employed by a company....he worked out of the job without submitting a resignation letter having collected his salary at the end of the month...that's a breach of contract if i may say.

common sense dictates...if he is going to leave the company...he gives a notice or what ever excuse...which could be going back to school and not abscond from his duty post having collected salary.

if any of you is an employer of labour...would you like to be treated as such by your employee?

There's what is called Karma Sir. It goes round. Black or white, tall or short, we all gets served.

Many employers in Nigeria don't follow due process. Most ask you to resume with verbal agreement, no signed agreement whatsoever.

If I were to be an employer of labor, I'd treat my employees right, sue them if and when I have to.

No one need common sense to act. Cause and effect is better. If there was no prior employee-employer agreement on employment termination notice, either party can go do what ever they feel like.

Bringing up Common sense is unnecessary especially in this topic of discussion.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by jaymejate: 3:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
gqboyy:
Tell him next time he disturb u again u r going to beat his stupid ass up. Thank me later

OP

Please don't do this o.
He might take it as a threat and use it against you, since there's an agreement and nothing like giving one month notice in the agreement you're fine. If he takes a step to seize your property, then off to the court!
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by cosade(m): 3:23pm On Mar 31, 2017
delishpot:

Ignore him ke? When Nigerians with small money can get the police to arrest you for daring to look at them talkless of when they believe you owe them money.
Well, OP if you have letter of employment then read it very well to know if you actually breached your contract.
But, shebi He paid you for services rendered last month na. So you deserve the pay.

If it's stated that you should give a month's notice then you have to honour that clause else you refund a month's salary to your employer.

However, if you don't have a formal letter of employment then allow your parents or Senior talk to him, to stop molesting you.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

grin . You should relax.

How many fights happen that folks tell the truth about their own guilt when giving account?

If we want genuine help, we all have to come clean don't we.

OP Check very well grin grin
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by joenor(m): 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
if there was no term like that, my guy rest your case. where I'm presently those term were stated and if I have to leave today,I must let them know a month to my resignation.
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by orobski(m): 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
dingbang:
good. Then don't bother urself..
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by doctokwus: 3:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing
The one sensible comment so far.
Op,think of tomorrow o.How wud u feel if ur future employee,probably d most important or only one,takes d month salary and stops working dat day,giving u no chance to replace him/her.
Courtesy and accepted employment engagement generally assume u give ur employer notice and vice versa,even if not explicitly stated in any letter.
Apologize and explain y u had to leave and ignore anyone here telling u to become confrontational or employ a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Ishilove: 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
oyb:
Does the company have a hr policy?
Full time salaried employees are expected to give two weeks to one month notice before quitting. Same applies to employers. Termination without notice typically has some financial implication.

It is contract or wage or temp workers who can leave without notice.
The boy said such and such was not in his employment letter.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by NaijaNaWaa: 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
Most employment contracts require that you forfeit one month salary if you resign without giving at least one month notice to the employer.

Is there any reference to "company rules/conditions of service" in the letter? If yes, did you check whether one month salary in lieu of notice is contained therein? Can you post the employment letter?

Better still, avoid trouble. Give them one month notice of resignation, work for another month with the company for which you will be paid anyway. This saves you from bad employment record that may harm you in future. YOU NEVER KNOW.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gqboyy(m): 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
jaymejate:

OP

Please don't do this o.
He might take it as a threat and use it against you, since there's an agreement and nothing like giving one month notice in the agreement you're fine. If he takes a step to seize your property, then off to the court!
Guy comot whch kind threat is he not threatening the op? Abi the op is not human being? U r a coward
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ifeanyi83(m): 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
I read you were given an employment letter which i believe you read, understood and subsequently signed. What does the employment letter say about procedures for resignation? I understand your boss' frustration. You have created a vacuum that may take some time to fill. If the employment letter states that you should give prior notice before tendering a letter of resignation, you are bound by that because you have appended your signature to it. No lawyer can help you in that case. Good-luck.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by nmreports: 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
Young man, ideally you are wrong but legally no one has a case against you.
1. Except it is written that you have to give a months notice.
2. There is a verbal agreement.
3. You are above 18.
There may just be a little challenge from their part as it is an employment law whether you signed it or not.

On the contrary, get a freelance lawyer to help you.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
Your boss is an agbaya grin
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Josephamstrong1(m): 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
linearity:

I noticed you stated 'common sense dictates...' and not that you have accessed his specific situation and conclude that, he is legally obligated to do so.

Even if he is obligated contractually to do so, which I doubt is the case here, the employer breached that contract, once they started giving him tasks (washing clothes, cleaning toilets, etc) that are not within his contracted obligations as spelt out by his employment letter and as such, any claim the employer is making to that contract is null and void.
Thank you bruv.
After breaching ya employee's contract by obtaining him through false pretence...yes, cos washing clothes and toilet cleaning wasn't part of the contract.
Let him bring it up naa... He's just ranting cos he's wounded knowing it'll be hard to see another gullible employee like OP. grin.
Have told him, some employers...

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by JideAmuGiaka: 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
KAYD007:

The Boss is not being wicked...He is pissed! seems the guy absconded from his duty post....having collected his salary with notifying his boss by way of resignation letter...Do you expected the Boss to have magically sort for a replacement? which would have been easy to do if he was informed ahead of time.

and think this will make the boss not to help boys like him who would like to work while waiting to get or further their studies

For his boss to invade their house and threatened him speaks a lot of his bullying character. I quite 'underkwuruoto' that he has made the work so tedious for the guy hence his resignation.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Office assistant was exactly my work sir but he treated me like dirt.

whether you were an office assistance or you being treated like "lasma durty" is irrelevant... you said you worked for him for four months...was he not paying you salary as at when due? i bet he was not owing you otherwise you would stated it in your story...

Common sense dictates you notify your boss of your intention...." oga oo....i will no longer be available to work here since i will be going back to school in about so so and so time...but rather you keep quite collected your salary at the end of the month...and zap..
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ekensi01: 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
I have the solution in my hands. Here is it 'fear not'. Its because you are afraid of him for being your boss just take him as a friend (i mean like classmate). Also add smile when you talk to him, if he will nt stop draw a line and alert me for help.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Chadotik: 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing

I think I buy this idea. Some organisations have written policies that guide them and it binds on every activity or staff of the workplace. If he demands a resignation letter, kindly write it and tender. That will save your head and promote your goodwill. You may still need him after now. All the terms of your company must not be imbedded in your Appointment Letter else it becomes an epistle. Goodluck.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by uckennety(m): 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
our agreement. Like washing clothes, washing toilets, etc

Have spent almost half of my salary, we are currently broke. Lalasticlala, Mynd44 please help me.

Oboi thunder fire them chill
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

Will he also be paid if the one month notice he gave elapses?.

Where I have worked...yes of course.

The purpose of the notice is for the company to adjust to the impending vacuum and not to get free labour.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gqboyy(m): 3:30pm On Mar 31, 2017
Dfavouredone:

Bad advise. Don't do the above.

Usually in a well structure organisation, one has to give an advance notice before leaving, the duration of the notice is usually stated in letter of employment given when one start the job.

Now, in your case, since your employment letter didn't say you must give any advance notice before leaving, you fine. So stick to what you told him, that it wasn't stated in your employment letter or any written agreement that you must give an advanced notice.

He knows, that your response has make it illegal for him to do anything to you, that's why he started cursing you when told him so. Not minding his insult, stick to that ground of not having that written on your employment letter.

Then, unto the threat of him taking some of your properties. You can already see from above, that it is illegal therefore for him to do that. If he repeat that to you again or make a move to carry out his threat. Report him to the police or get a lawyer as some other person has advised.

Take care son, you sound smart and wise. God be with you.
Op should find a way to teach that man a sweet lesson
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.

No one is a small boy broda, there has to be Human Rights law office, NGOs, your pastor or spiritual leader, there must be people who are willing to stop him from bullying you, because that's what he's doing, tell him you'd report the matter to appropriate authorities,

If he persists, photocopy that employment letter, so long as you're sure the letter didn't state and you did not agree that you would give one month notice before resigning or forfeit salary in lieu, keep the original letter very safely, if possible out of your house, write a letter to any Human Rights NGOs or lawyer(I'm sure there'd dome on nairaland here that will be willing to help you), then tell him respectfully that you have reported the matter to so so and so place, he'd be wise enough to leave you alone.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by DavidEsq(m): 3:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
How do i do that if he comes to my house sir?
Shout tif fo e head. E go clear for am
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Ishilove:

The boy said such and such was not in his employment letter.

I don't think it usually stated in employment letter which is usually brief you know...

such terms are usually in the company's hand book dictating such elaborate terms
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by domchike(m): 3:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

go to facebook join a group called JLAA meaning Joint Legal action or join DPA Due Process Advocate all you need to do is to post your story there then go home nd sleep lets see who the man be

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Walks Around Unclad In Office To Boost Workers' Morale In Poland / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Which Are The Highest Paying Parastatals And Companies In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.