Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,179 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land (14127 Views)

Governor Lalong Patronising A Groundnut Seller iIn Jos (Photos) / Nndigbo: Why We MUST STOP Saying Lagos Is No Man's Land / Just Like Lagos Onitsha Is Also No Mans Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by paramakina202: 10:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
Let any^ person that claims to be from Onitsha come here and tell us the meaning

I am not from Onitsha but that is corrupt name for Onicha which is found all over Igboland from Delta state to Anambra state to Enugu to Ebonyi down to Abia state,so if want to you claim you have to claim all not just Onicha in Anambra state.

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
bantudra:
na igbos started this nonesense...they went to lagos and claimed it no mans land...now the yorubas want to claim onitsha....

how ironic....

and the chance that the yorubas succede by claiming onitsha is high...

the delta is already shifting to yoruba land.....
I will take you serious when Yoruba man win state house of rep in Anambra which we have achieved in Lagos

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by bantudra: 10:42pm On Apr 27, 2017
post=55986659:

I will take you serious when Yoruba man win state house of rep in Anambra which we have achieved in Lagos

you realy cares who wins what in a family..??...

i dont have the time to fight against myself....
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by DLioness(f): 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
bantudra:

alot of things were changed...who should realy care now??....you want to get a headache....

look at the faces,the faces will tell you,who is who....
jst teln doz fools dt dnt want to leave umu ezechima alone. who kmws mayb doz igbos at sabon gari kano wn dy return we go hear "hausas migratd to igboland".

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by bantudra: 10:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
DLioness:
jst teln doz fools dt dnt want to leave umu ezechima alone. who kmws mayb doz igbos at sabon gari kano wn dy return we go hear "hausas migratd to igboland".

when you look beyond religion then you see clearer...

i was born and raised a christian...am still christian...i dont allow religion to determin how i think...

my religion is my private things....its not the business of anybody...thats why nobody can use religion on me....

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by nengibo: 11:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
ii know the Obong Aro
Aro is an ibibio town they worship ibibio deities, have an ibibio dialect & call God Abasi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Rossikk(m): 3:36am On Apr 28, 2017
''ONITSHA'' REFERS TO THE PEOPLE OF THE ANCIENT EGYPTIAN CITY OF ''ON'' - NEW RESEARCH

Igbo name for ancient Egypt - Idu

Edo name for Ancient Egypt - Igodomigodo

Onicha got its name from the ancient Egyptian city of “ON”, unfortunately renamed as “Heliopolis” by the Greeks and now being called “El Minah” by the modern Egyptian government, which has changed the name of this city five times. The City of “On” was the citadel of spiritual excellence and was one of the most sacred cities of ancient Egypt.

The priests of On were very mystical and were the repository of the ancient mysteries of Egypt. The priests of On guided their mysteries jealously and were the only priests that crowned the Pharoahs. No king of Egypt could be recognized without being consecrated by the priests of On. They were called the “Priests of the most high”. The Pharoh and his family traditionally resided in the city of On. “Onicha” means those that were sacked or cut off from the city of On. The word “cha” in ancient Egypt means to cut, descend or fall from. The Onitsha Igbo dialect term “chapu” like in “chapu ya isi” (cut off his head) still has the same root like the ancient Kemetic Egyptian language: “cha” : to cut off or make to fall.

Onicha people were actually those that were cut off or fled from the sacred city of On. Literarily speaking, Onicha means “people of On that fled” from On. Some people had wrongly described the word Onicha as those who “despise others”, but that could not be correct because they were the ones who were charged with the responsibility of consecrating and annointing kings and priests. As a matter of fact, the names, “Tutankam-on” and “Solom-on” are rooted in the city of On. Solomon means he who was initiated into the mysteries of On.

In Onicha today, we see the term “On” reflecting in many of our names and traditional titles. The term “On” is found in some of the following Onitsha traditional chieftaincy titles: “On-owu”, “On-i-ra”, meaning “On” dedicated to the ancient Egyptian God called “Ra”, “Onika” meaning the Ka of On; the word “ka” in Kemetic language means “the soul”, therefore, “Onika”means the soul of On. We also see the word “On” in “Onya”, “Onoli” and “Onwolu” all chieftaincy titles in Onicha.

In their roles as priests, ON-icha people after being cut off from Egypt, continued to play their roles as priests and in that capacity sojourned with different closely related communities that were scattered in Africa, especially in West Africa, where their services as priests were still needed.

They dwelt amongst other fellow Egyptians and Punis (Cannanites) who had fled/migrated from ancient Egypt to avoid foreign invasions.

They were in Ile Ife, today in Ile Ife, some Yorubas of ON-icha stock are still residing there. Till date, an ancient ritual of the battle of Moremi, an Ile Ife Princess’ conflict with Onicha inhabitants are still enacted on a yearly basis.

Onicha priests were also in Benin kingdom or Edo land.

They were also in Igbo land. I suspect that the Priests of Nri were distantly connected to the city of On. That is why till date an Nri King upon consecration must bring certain sacrifial items (tributes) to the Obi of Onicha and must sleep over in Onicha before assuming the Nri throne.

For full article read:

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-ancient-egyptian-city-of-on-along-the-river-niger-a-re-examination-of-the-history-and-culture-of-onicha-onitsha-by-onwa-onyebuchi-amene-esq/

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 5:18am On Apr 28, 2017
The bigoted op thinks that real pronunciation is Onitsha, It is Onicha, your Orisha or whatever exist only in your head, the whiteman mispronounced it Onitsha, like soneone rightly pointed out to you illiterate skull that there are Onicha towns in Anioma and Ebonyi.
Well I just wasted my time educating a failed brain

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by wawappl: 7:02am On Apr 28, 2017
Amarabae:
In Psychology, Inferior people are always obsessed with their superiors,
let those that are obsessed with Igbos continue, we know that they have a complex issue and it is hereditary in them.
Thanks

Psychology, Inferior people are always obsessed with their superiors, TRUE WORD
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by pinkp: 1:48pm On Apr 28, 2017
Swahili0:

i love u
pls where can I find cherubim n seraphim church in Ilorin
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Ngozi123(f): 2:03pm On Apr 28, 2017
aribisala0:
I am given to understand the word has no meaning and the place is part of Edoland? How true is this?

Why are Igbo people always on your mind? You people are obsessed with us.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Ngozi123(f): 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2017
OAFMods:

Nice analogy, this is just the way Biafrans are obsessed with Yoruba who are obviously their superior in all ramifications. Abi I lie ?

Absolutely not. Go into any thread about Biafrans and you will find Igbo haters, both Yoruba and non-Yoruba, galore. We're more focused on Igbo issues whereas other groups, including Yorubas, are always 'pokenosing' into our affairs. It's honestly sickening.

4 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Ngozi123(f): 2:19pm On Apr 28, 2017
pazienza:

Lol!
Both Onicha-Mili now anglicized as "Onitsha", Onicha Olona and Onicha Ugbo are all descendants of a single man called Ezechime, a Bini cultured Igbo man.
Notice that while the Onicha was anglicized to Onitsha by the colonials because of the fact that Onicha was the base of the British in the area, relatively remote Onicha Olona and Onicha Ugbo all retained the correct spelling of that word.
Also note that Onitsha is pronounced as Onicha with /Ch/ sound and not with /sh/ sound.

Obi is a house place a man receives visitors in his compound. It's a place of gathering, which exactly what a kings house is for the village. The Western Igbo towns modified it to be a title of their Ezes. Also note that Nnewi in the East also have Obis.

Obi( also called "Obu" ) by some Igbo groups can also mean a kindred.

Obi is a title of Ezes in mainly Western Igbo land, it's a symbolic one, depicting a house of gathering for the people, Just as Igwe is a title for Ezes in Anambra, Enugu and parts of Ebonyi, is symbolic, depicting the divine power of Kings. Igwe= Sky.

Abiriba title for their Ezes is "Enanchioke", Igboland is a diverse place.
You are only mistaking Obi for Oba because they are both written in English letters, but they are worlds apart in pronunciation.
Oba in Igbo means a form of Amphibian called Oba-mili, It can also mean barn, Oba-ji, which was a measure of a man's wealth those days, maybe Yorubas and Edos borrowed the Oba word from Igbos. Haha!

I actually think that this might be the case. We all know that the Yorubas borrowed that word from the Binis but I wonder whether it actually has a meaning in Bini as it does in Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by OAFMods: 10:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Ngozi123:

Absolutely not. Go into any thread about Biafrans and you will find Igbo haters, both Yoruba and non-Yoruba, galore. We're more focused on Igbo issues whereas other groups, including Yorubas, are always 'pokenosing' into our affairs. It's honestly sickening.

Only a sick human reason the way you do. You mean all the Ipob on NL are Yoruba lovers or Nigerian lovers. Pls keep your pathetic victim mentality to yourself I beg am not sympathetic to your course.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Ngozi123(f): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2017
OAFMods:

Only a sick human reason the way you do. You mean all the Ipob on NL are Yoruba lovers or Nigerian lovers. Pls keep your pathetic victim mentality to yourself I beg am not sympathetic to your course.

I didn't say that pro-Biafra supporters, I'm assuming that that's what you meant by "Ipob", love Yorubas/Nigerians. I simply said that most Igbos are focused on Igbo issues whereas certain other groups are more focused on us. Some of these Igbos have had enough and have decided to retaliate- I personally don't agree with that but to each his own. You even being in this thread is proof of what I'm saying- you do realise that, right?

5 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Abagworo(m): 2:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
Delta State - Onicha Ugbo and Onicha Olona
Anambra State - Onicha Mmili
Imo State - Onicha Uboma, Onicha Nkwerre and Onicha Mbaise(Nwenkwo)
Abia State - Onicha Ngwa
Ebonyi State - Onicha Isu(Uburu) and Onicha Igboeze
Enugu State - Onicha Enuguezike and Onicha Awgu
These are not all the Onichas in Igboland as there are still dozens more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Abagworo(m): 2:32pm On Apr 29, 2017
In Igboland there exists some prefix attached to names of towns that have unclear meaning but suggests ancient movement of groups. Some of these popular prefix are

Owere

Isu

Ihite/Ifite

Onicha

Itu

Some have clear meaning in reference to people, area or clan

Umu

Ogbe

Ama

Ezi

Ndi

Mba

3 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Schematics: 3:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
We are talking of original Onitsha in Anambra. Go and gace your imo state if you don't know the answers to what the op asked of.

[s]
Abagworo:

Abia State - Onicha Ngwa

[/s]
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by OAFMods: 3:40pm On Apr 29, 2017
Ngozi123:

I didn't say that pro-Biafra supporters, I'm assuming that that's what you meant by "Ipob", love Yorubas/Nigerians. I simply said that most Igbos are focused on Igbo issues whereas certain other groups are more focused on us. Some of these Igbos have had enough and have decided to retaliate- I personally don't agree with that but to each his own. You even being in this thread is proof of what I'm saying- you do realise that, right?

No tribe as Igbo time in Nigeria so get off such obsession.
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by MayorofLagos(m): 4:23pm On Apr 29, 2017
When you need truth get the facts from custodians of the history and culture of Onitsha, not fable weavers on Nairaland.

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Ngozi123(f): 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2017
OAFMods:

No tribe as Igbo time in Nigeria so get off such obsession.

I honestly don't understand what point you're trying to convey here .

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 11:09am On Jun 20, 2017
In summary Onitsha is not an Eboe word and it is No man's land

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 8:21am On Nov 09, 2017
Simples
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 09, 2017
aribisala0:
I am given to understand the word has no meaning and the place is part of Edoland? How true is this?
what does Lagos mean in Yoruba language cheesy cheesy
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 8:24am On Nov 09, 2017
zenmaster:

what does Lagos mean in Yoruba language cheesy cheesy
The correct name is Eko

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 09, 2017
Abagworo:

Abia State - Onicha Ngwa

Thanks Abagworo:

aribisala0 is too Igbo-phobic to go and read his books properly
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 09, 2017
aribisala0:
The correct name is Eko
Just like the correct name of Port-Harcourt is Igweocha.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 8:30am On Nov 09, 2017
zenmaster:

Just like the correct name of Port-Harcourt is Igweocha.

IRRELEVANT

This thread is about Onitsha and you cannot answer it by diversion it won't work
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Konquest: 8:47am On Nov 09, 2017
nengibo:

Aro is an ibibio town they worship ibibio deities, have an ibibio dialect & call God Abasi
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Francis5: 9:18am On Nov 09, 2017
What does Yoruba mean in Yoruba language?
What does Lagos mean in Yoruba language?
What does Awka mean in (Anambra) Igbo language?
What does Benin mean in Edo language?

Confused people in a confused land.
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by kettykin: 9:38am On Nov 09, 2017
someone tell me something is not happening in Nairaland which i dont know , i created a thread about the fall of Illorin to the caliphate and it was moved to the culture section but here a similar thread of someone asking for the meaning of Onitsha in igbo is being left in the political section.

what i dont get is if someone is suffering from a deliberate selective amnesia ?

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2017
kettykin:
someone tell me something is not happening in Nairaland which i dont know , i created a thread about the fall of Illorin to the caliphate and it was moved to the culture section but here a similar thread of someone asking for the meaning of Onitsha in igbo is being left in the political section.

what i dont get is if someone is suffering from a deliberate selective amnesia ?
Its called Nairalandic Igbo-phobia grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Akeredolu Receives Certificate Of Return From INEC(Pics / Governor Obiano, Catholic Church Want To Take Our Land - Anglicans / 2019 Elections: Meet Ahmed Buhari,the SNP Presidential Candidate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.