Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,433 members, 7,812,287 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land (14131 Views)

Governor Lalong Patronising A Groundnut Seller iIn Jos (Photos) / Nndigbo: Why We MUST STOP Saying Lagos Is No Man's Land / Just Like Lagos Onitsha Is Also No Mans Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Swahili0(f): 7:30pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
I ASK JUST ONE THING.
What mean Onitsha? Explain me please

what does abakuku means
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Swahili0(f): 7:31pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
ONISHA MEAN WHAT PLEASE?

what does abakuku mean ooo
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by agaba77: 7:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
Swahili0:

afomjas like igbo matters chai

igbo people need to ignore stupid afonja/alimi threads like this and not comment at all, just waka pass.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Swahili0(f): 7:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
agaba77:

igbo people need to ignore stupid afonja/alimi threads like this and not comment at all, just waka pass.

na so
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by pazienza(m): 7:52pm On Apr 27, 2017
The anglicized version, Onitsha is confusing the mischievous trouble shooting OP.

Even though I know the OP opened this thread to shoot for trouble, I just feel that some Igbos not in the know, could learn one or two things about the widespread of the word "Onicha" in Igboland.

The name is Onicha, that's how it's pronounced all over Eastern and Western Igbo land. Onitsha is to Onicha, what Peking is to Beijing. When we get Biafra, the needful will be done, like the Chinese did.

List of Onicha in Igbo land.

1. Onicha Olona- Delta
2. Onicha Ugbo- Delta
3. Onicha Ukwuani- Delta
4 Onicha Ngwa- Abia state
5. Onicha Uboma- Imo state
6. Onicha Enugu Ezike-Enugu State
7. Enu-Onicha Nike- Enugu State
8.Onicha Igboeze- Ebonyi State.
9. Onicha Uburu- Ebonyi State
10.Onicha-Mili( aka Onitsha)- Anambra state

As you can see, the word "Onicha" is deep rooted in Igbo etymology and widespread all over Igboland.

It has nothing to do with "Orisha" as they are not pronounced alike, even if Onicha Mili is now anglicized and written as "Onitsha", it's still pronounced as "Onicha"( Or-nee-cha) by the natives and indeed the entire Igbo people. The Yorubas don't have "Ch" letter in their alphabet.

What is the meaning of Onicha? I don't know, but I do know that it is a deeply rooted proto Igbo word to be this widespread all over the four corners of the Igbo speaking lands.

Similar reoccurring widespread word used as name of places in Igboland is "Owerri"/"Owelle".

I think the linking of Onitsha to Orisha was first done by ignorant Philip Emeagwali, who not knowing how widespread the use of the word "Onicha" is in Igboland, beyond the Edo influenced Igbos, tried to curry favour and tickle the fantasy of his Yoruba friends by ignorantly linking Onicha with Orisha.

https://www.nairaland.com/660308/philip-emagwali-yoruba-onitsha-onitsha

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 8:28pm On Apr 27, 2017
pazienza:
The anglicized version, Onitsha is confusing the mischievous trouble shooting OP.

Even though I know the OP opened this thread to shoot for trouble, I just feel that some Igbos not in the know, could learn one or two things about the widespread of the word "Onicha" in Igboland.

The name is Onicha, that's how it's pronounced all over Eastern and Western Igbo land. Onitsha is to Onicha, what Peking is to Beijing. When we get Biafra, the needful will be done, like the Chinese did.

List of Onicha in Igbo land.

1. Onicha Olona- Delta
2. Onicha Ugbo- Delta
3. Onicha Ngwa- Abia state
4. Onicha Uboma- Imo state
5. Onicha Enugu Ezike-Enugu State
6. Enu-Onicha Nike- Enugu State
7. Onicha Igboeze- Ebonyi State.
8. Onicha Uburu- Ebonyi State
9. Onicha-Mili( aka Onitsha)- Anambra state

As you can see, the word "Onicha" is deep rooted in Igbo etymology and widespread all over Igboland.

It has nothing to do with "Orisha" as they are not pronounced alike, even if Onicha Mili is now anglicized and written as "Onitsha", it's still pronounced as "Onicha"( Or-nee-cha) by the natives and indeed the entire Igbo people. The Yorubas don't have "Ch" letter in their alphabet.

What is the meaning of Onicha? I don't know, but I do know that it is a deeply rooted proto Igbo word to be this widespread all over the four corners of the Igbo speaking lands.

Similar reoccurring widespread word used as name of places in Igboland is "Owerri"/"Owelle".

I think the linking of Onitsha to Orisha was first done by ignorant Philip Emeagwali, who not knowing how widespread the use of the word "Onicha" is in Igboland, beyond the Edo influenced Igbos, tried to curry favour and tickle the fantasy of his Yoruba friends by ignorantly linking Onicha with Orisha.

https://www.nairaland.com/660308/philip-emagwali-yoruba-onitsha-onitsha
Clever but not clever enough
Reflect on these Yoruba words

Akpo bag or sack
Ibi ahin here or this place
Ahin here or this place
Ibi here

If you want to talk that Proto babble you will find that many languages in Southern Nigeria share a lot in common.
However onisha has nothing to do with Onicha .How come none of those Onichas was corrupted to Onitsha. Onitsha has an Obi.
What does Obi mean in Igboe language?
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by pazienza(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:

Akpo bag or sack
Ahin here or this place
Ibi here

If you want to talk that Proto babble you will find that many languages in Southern Nigeria share a lot in common.
However onisha has nothing to do with Onicha .How come none of those Onichas was corrupted to Onitsha. Onitsha has an Obi.

Lol!
Both Onicha-Mili now anglicized as "Onitsha", Onicha Olona and Onicha Ugbo are all descendants of a single man called Ezechime, a Bini cultured Igbo man.
Notice that while the Onicha was anglicized to Onitsha by the colonials because of the fact that Onicha was the base of the British in the area, relatively remote Onicha Olona and Onicha Ugbo all retained the correct spelling of that word.
Also note that Onitsha is pronounced as Onicha with /Ch/ sound and not with /sh/ sound.

Obi is a house place a man receives visitors in his compound. It's a place of gathering, which exactly what a kings house is for the village. The Western Igbo towns modified it to be a title of their Ezes. Also note that Nnewi in the East also have Obis.

Obi( also called "Obu" ) by some Igbo groups can also mean a kindred.

Obi is a title of Ezes in mainly Western Igbo land, it's a symbolic one, depicting a house of gathering for the people, Just as Igwe is a title for Ezes in Anambra, Enugu and parts of Ebonyi, is symbolic, depicting the divine power of Kings. Igwe= Sky.

Abiriba title for their Ezes is "Enanchioke", Igboland is a diverse place.
You are only mistaking Obi for Oba because they are both written in English letters, but they are worlds apart in pronunciation.
Oba in Igbo means a form of Amphibian called Oba-mili, It can also mean barn, Oba-ji, which was a measure of a man's wealth those days, maybe Yorubas and Edos borrowed the Oba word from Igbos. Haha!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Obdk: 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
Wat does yoruba mean in yoruba language

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by EnuguDadImoMom: 9:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
Bae you are just enlightened, thumb up.
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by EnuguDadImoMom: 9:19pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:

You will not change the topic.What does Onitsha mean iIgboe
What is the meaning of Abakuku ?

3 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Obdk: 9:30pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:

Akpo bag or sack
Ahin here or this place
Ibi here

Obi means head. Every community here in Nnewi ve obi. Every kindred have obi. Obi is d place whr ur fathers fathers father come from...

Meanwhile

https://www.nairaland.com/3766910/what-meaning-lagos-yorogba-language#55985486

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
when we are good and ready we will take it back

I'll be personally waiting for you.
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2017
Obdk:

Obi means head. Every community here in Nnewi ve obi. Every kindred have obi. Obi is d place whr ur fathers fathers father come from...

head?? Taa gbafue!
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 9:34pm On Apr 27, 2017
iSlayer2:

I'll be personally waiting for you.
I expect to see you at the hand over ceremony

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by papaejima1: 9:42pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
I am given to understand the word has no meaning and the place is part of Edoland? How true is this?
It is Onicha my dear not onitsha.

Onitsha was how the missionaries spelt it and it stuck.
Igbos don't use letter T next to letter S in any word known.

Parallels can be drawn from how the whites spelt the following towns that the railway passed thru:
Nvosi = Nbawsi
Umugba = Omoba

Both are in Abia state.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
Amarabae:
in Asaba area, there is an "Onicha" same thing in Ebonyi. Its either you call it onitsha, onitcha or onicha.
Its a corruption of the word Onu-icha, its a name gotten from Ezechime lineage, a Benin cultured Igbo man.

Where did his benin culture disappear to and why is it relatively non-present in his descendants?

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nukualofa: 9:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
GreyLaw:

Thanks. Love you, too.
Continue loving a guy grin

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:54pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
Onitsha is a corruption of Orisha
What is the meaning of Ijebu-Igbo in Yoruba language

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:56pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:

What is the meaning of Igbosere in Yoruba

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:

What is the meaning of Lagos in Yoruba

Lagos no man's land

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by OreMI22: 10:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
post=55985364:

What is the meaning of Lagos in Yoruba

Lagos no man's land

Hehehehe....
Watch some Afoja come here with unbelievable tales about how someone fell from hell to earth to name it. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Obdk: 10:05pm On Apr 27, 2017
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
head?? Taa gbafue!
What is the meaning of Ijebu in Yoruba

Ijebus are not Yoruba
Awories are not Yoruba
Eguns are not Yoruba

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Kinematics: 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2017
Op watch how Ibos rain curses on you for asking just a question.
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by aribisala0(m): 10:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
Kinematics:
Op watch how Ibos rain curses on you for asking just a question.
I wonder oo
That is Yigboes for you
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
head?? Taa gbafue!
Yorubas land grabbers grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
Amarabae:
in Asaba area, there is an "Onicha" same thing in Ebonyi. Its either you call it onitsha, onitcha or onicha.
Its a corruption of the word Onu-icha, its a name gotten from Ezechime lineage, a Benin cultured Igbo man.

We have Onicha Ngwa in Obingwa where I am from, shares boundary with Akwa Ibom.

1 Like

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by bantudra: 10:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
na igbos started this nonesense...they went to lagos and claimed it no mans land...now the yorubas want to claim onitsha....

how ironic....

and the chance that the yorubas succede by claiming onitsha is high...

the delta is already shifting to yoruba land.....
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by bantudra: 10:26pm On Apr 27, 2017
Normality:

We have Onicha Ngwa in Obingwa where I am from, shares boundary with Akwa Ibom.

if una would just stop this tribal nonesense,...

none of you will win this nonesense...you are all bini empire that left home to colonize other parts....!!!...

even the hausas are bini empire...!!..practicaly the entire west africa and central africa is bini empire geneticaly...!!!...

congo is bini too...

any black with broad nose and thick lips is bini empire!!!...
Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by DLioness(f): 10:31pm On Apr 27, 2017
aribisala0:
I am given to understand the word has no meaning and the place is part of Edoland? How true is this?
the name ws nva onitsha bt onicha. Its d colonialists that changd it to onitsha jst the way sakkwato ws changd to sokoto, ahaba to asaba, akpofia to ekpeye, igboakiri to igbanke etc

3 Likes

Re: What Does Onitsha Mean in Eegboe Language. Onitsha is No Man's land by bantudra: 10:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
DLioness:
the name ws nva onitsha bt onicha. Its d colonialists that changd it to onitsha jst the way sakkwato ws changd to sokoto, ahaba to asaba, akpofia to ekpeye, igboakiri to igbanke etc

alot of things were changed...who should realy care now??....you want to get a headache....

look at the faces,the faces will tell you,who is who....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Did Not Appoint Amaechi As Campaign DG – Presidency / Buhari Delivers An Address At Mandela Peace Summit / NDDC Procured Rotten Food Items With N6.2bn –PDC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.