Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,550 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham (8742 Views)

Beware Of House On The Rock Church & It's Members / Church: It Is Time To Shake Off The Distraction / Imagine Christianity Without Church, It Will Be Awesome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Mujtahida: 2:11pm On May 01, 2017
LordCenturion:

U nailed it Bro, he who says love ur enemies but he ask Israelites to kill innocent people in jericho and the rest,he's going to cast his enemies that doesn't worship him into the lakes of fire,,, what a joke god.. Lol @ bizme u see something?
That biblical god is one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated on mankind.

3 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by CHARLOE(m): 2:16pm On May 01, 2017
azaino:

there is God in heaven. and there is Jesus Christ who came inform of a man and die to set us (me and you) free from sin. I know within your heart you believe this, don't let your present predicament ruin your relationship with God Almighty
U just vomiting same crap u were told frm childhood n made to believe, you've got no proof only faith. Ask yourself, y do I believe what I believe?
Anybody can have faith, BH have more faith than any xtian I no, they've so much faith they give their lives for it. But tell a xtian to pluck out his eyes or cut off his hand that causes him to sin like Jesus commanded n hear him beating about d metaphorical buslshyte.
Religion is man made, by smart guys, ur destiny is in ur hands, listen to d voice warning u, d voice of doubt in ur head. Its not d devil like they'll have u believe, its ur protection n guide mechanism ur maker programmed in u.
Its d reason u don't fall for 419, imagine if u believe any fraudster that com ur way,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by italo: 2:16pm On May 01, 2017
Mujtahida:

That biblical god is one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated on mankind.
Not a fraud to me.

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Mujtahida: 2:17pm On May 01, 2017
italo:
Not a fraud to me.
Good for you. To each his own.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by urheme: 2:51pm On May 01, 2017
Ishilove:
This is what happens when you don't handle your foundation. This life is very deep and mysterious.

He has no foundation actually,.....spent years preaching and he has never contacted the power of God.....i just wonder what he has been preaching.

I pray God touch him soon
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by urheme: 2:55pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:
this is what they keep saying

rubbish! na when u don old finish him go come answer your prayer abi?

continue deceiving yourself

no go fine better tin do

There is nothing wrong with God keeping you till old age and then answering your prayer.

Long life alone is a prayer request from multitude.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 01, 2017
bizme:

Nigeria is already hell.
Which hell are you talking about?
Are you saying there's another hell somewhere else?

lol, I was trying to frighten the guy small grin

I am good with your philosophical view though.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by LordCenturion(m): 3:03pm On May 01, 2017
CHARLOE:

U just vomiting same crap u were told frm childhood n made to believe, you've got no proof only faith. Ask yourself, y do I believe what I believe?
Anybody can have faith, BH have more faith than any xtian I no, they've so much faith they give their lives for it. But tell a xtian to pluck out his eyes or cut off his hand that causes him to sin like Jesus commanded n hear him beating about d metaphorical buslshyte.
Religion is man made, by smart guys, ur destiny is in ur hands, listen to d voice warning u, d voice of doubt in ur head. Its not d devil like they'll have u believe, its ur protection n guide mechanism ur maker programmed in u.
Its d reason u don't fall for 419, imagine if u believe any fraudster that com ur way,

LOL, Story of god in Bible and jesus is just like the story of tortoise that they use to tell us wen we are kid, during that time we always believe that tortoise story are real, but later find out that it's just a fiction, that's how I viewed bible stories. Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by CHARLOE(m): 3:28pm On May 01, 2017
LordCenturion:

LOL, Story of god in Bible and jesus is just like the story of tortoise that they use to tell us wen we are kid, during that time we always believe that tortoise story are real, but later find out that it's just a fiction, that's how I viewed bible stories. Lol
Or like Santa Claus, imagine a fifty Yr old man beliving In Santa or havinghaving an imaginary friend!

4 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by arleck(m): 4:26pm On May 01, 2017
CHARLOE:

Or like Santa Claus, imagine a fifty Yr old man beliving In Santa or havinghaving an imaginary friend!

yeah! dude! how did you know that u a fvcking genius..

i thought of that aswell
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 01, 2017
urheme:

There is nothing wrong with God keeping you till old age and then answering your prayer.

Long life alone is a prayer request from multitude.
there are millions of people praying to die at their young age because of how the world is treating them.

I would've done the same also but I just gotta stay and make my mum happy

because I won't want to see her cry

gotta make her reap the fruit of her labour

apart from that? lol, would've taken my life long ago

there's nothing to enjoy in this world

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by azaino: 7:07pm On May 01, 2017
CHARLOE:

I wanted to tell you something, but that cutting of hand thing you said shows your level of knowledge. have a nice day bro

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Wilgrea7(m): 7:07pm On May 01, 2017
bizme:
I lived and conducted myself as a man whose singular hope and passion was the pursuit of God, roving from villages to villages every week, preaching and pastoring village churches. Away from the demands of my studentship.
i know it wasn't easy... you tried

But in the real world, the popular promise that God always has my back has been no more than a sale's man's quip which is often far from the reality on ground.
that's what charlatans have turned Christianity into.. a spoonfeeding competition.. they've programmed people to think that God will spoonfeed them.. for example telling them to just pray and “miracle" this and that will come their way... unfortunately... that's the mentality of many Christians in Nigeria.. its a very dumb mentality.. God doesn't spoonfeed anyone.. if you want something, be ready to work hard and get it

I have asked fellow Christians questions, but they have failed to provide me with answers that don't refer me back to the usual call to patience and perseverance. If I do not enjoy God's promises in the time of my youth, what then is the point? What is the point in repetitively making the same requests for years without answer from God?
forget that perseverance stuff.. its just things they say to make you keep waiting to be spoonfed... you have the potential to achieve your dreams.. don't let anyone tell you to wait for God to send an angel to give you a blank cheque.. it doesn't work that way

That all the praying and singing and clapping in the church are no more than a desperate attempt for most of us to believe in a God who has got no better job than bailing us out of our miseries...
please refer to points above.. God's job isn't to spoonfeed us.. that is a big lie

Henceforth, I'm going to turn my time and attention to more product things than church attendance. My woman isn't going to like this, but I feel like a fraud sitting there in Church today and refusing to say the prayers since all those I had said these past years don't seem to have been answered.
please ensure to do the bolded... we have been deceived... here is a similar quote of mine on the issue

Wilgrea7:
Christianity has now turned into a game where God is your messenger who you send to war and tell to give you this and that... “its a miracle... i got the job... i didn't apply... i just got a call... its a miracle... i was dashed a brand new car"... people key into things like this instead of working hard for themselves... Christianity is now about peoole being spoonfed... and then being proud of it... and instead of others to mature, they prefer to be spoonfed too.. they want it easy..

taking things into your hands is a way better option than sitting down and waiting for a miracle car.. may wisdom be with you.. cheers

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Wilgrea7(m): 7:10pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:
there are millions of people praying to die at their young age because of how the world is treating them.

taking your life is never the option... any problem you have can be shared here.. we will offer solutions to you.. if you feel uncomfortable sharing your story on your main moniker, you can open another one and share... suicide is not the answer..
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 01, 2017
Wilgrea7:

taking your life is never the option... any problem you have can be shared here.. we will offer solutions to you.. if you feel uncomfortable sharing your story on your main moniker, you can open another one and share... suicide is not the answer..
lol.. I was talking about the past bro

i'm doing good now

thanks for your concern
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by azaino: 7:13pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:
I believe all what you just wrote up there.

I didn't say I'll stop serving him

but my problem with him is why he lied to me and literally going against his words in the bible.

I feel he's not all what is written in the bible

a man can disappoint or lie to me and I'll overlook... but God?

naw! I can't just let it slide like that

you know one thing about we Christians is that we always want to defend our God in anyway even when he's at fault

me am not like y'all

when he's wrong I tell it openly

got nothing to hide

I can't be fooled
yet, it is still your choice. every decision we take we live by it. my own God does not lie to me, I don't defend God but rather he defends me. it is only fanatism or hypocrisy and misunderstanding that makes people wanna defend God. maybe some pastors have made you doubt God by what you were told, try and understand the true nature of God.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by otemdomino: 7:15pm On May 01, 2017
O
Foxyn:

I disagree sir. This world is made for enjoyment and fun and adventure. What makes many sad is the thought of their inability to solve all the problems of every individual in the world. This makes many even become atheists, but the best is for one to do what he can do to make the world better before dying. Nobody should have an Atlas mentality. However, God is not in any religion but in science.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 01, 2017
azaino:

yet, it is still your choice. every decision we take we live by it. my own God does not lie to me, I don't defend God but rather he defends me. it is only fanatism or hypocrisy and misunderstanding that makes people wanna defend God. maybe some pastors have made you doubt God by what you were told, try and understand the true nature of God.
I won't say anything because you just concluded that your God doesn't lie to you. in this case, you may not know how we he has lied to feels.

one common thing with Christians is that every good thing that comes their way they always refer it to be from God while the bad things are always from Satan lol

maybe you haven't had a very big problem that you need God's help urgently and then he turn deaf ears and fail you..

till then, cos even if I argue now.. you won't still understand and accept my own fact.

But one thing is for sure, God isn't as merciful and loving has y'all paint him to be

forget the fact that you are alive

even pastors always die in car accidents..

so for you to be alive today is what I call being LUCKY

not because of anything related to God's mercies or sh*t

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 01, 2017
otemdomino:
OI disagree sir. This world is made for enjoyment and fun and adventure. What makes many sad is the thought of their inability to solve all the problems of every individual in the world. This makes many even become atheists, but the best is for one to do what he can do to make the world better before dying. Nobody should have an Atlas mentality. However, God is not in any religion but in science.
how can you prove that God is in science?

curious

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by FellaL: 8:08pm On May 01, 2017
An2elect2:
If we are talking of God's free will, then I believe. But "man's free will" is an illusion.

My hope is in Christ and not my enslaved will

Something like this — https://www.nairaland.com/3372179/simple-analogy-freewill-predestination
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by frank317: 8:09pm On May 01, 2017
Wilgrea7:

that's what charlatans have turned Christianity into.. a spoonfeeding competition.. they've programmed people to think that God will spoonfeed them.. for example telling them to just pray and “miracle" this and that will come their way... unfortunately... that's the mentality of many Christians in Nigeria.. its a very dumb mentality.. God doesn't spoonfeed anyone.. if you want something, be ready to work hard and get it

forget that perseverance stuff.. its just things they say to make you keep waiting to be spoonfed... you have the potential to achieve your dreams.. don't let anyone tell you to wait for God to send an angel to give you a blank cheque.. it doesn't work that way

While ur input sounds very reasonable but this paragraph got me asking... WHAT THEN IS THE FUNCTION OF GOD IN OUR LIVES?

Again... Given Ur maturity, don't u think the op is far above all u said... I mean, don't u think he has gone beyond this stage u re presenting ur argument?

He sound so sincere and deeply hurt. I am wondering what it took him to come up with this thread, something most Christian commenters here obviously fail to notice.

Christianity might preach peace, love and hope but it sure misses something... EMPATHY. Christians dnt have the ability to put themselves in another's shoes. You are either a devil or a demon once u are not dancing to their tone.

3 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by RosaConsidine: 8:16pm On May 01, 2017
Well I don't know the details of your life and how they have led you to this point but it seems to me that you focused too much on trying to be religious and ignored an important part of being a human being - building every other aspect of your life. Life is about balance - too much to one side and you'll find yourself quite unhappy. This applies to everyone - whether theist or atheist, you need to make sure you don't leave other aspects of your life to suffer all in a bid to make sure on part flourishes.

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 01, 2017
frank317:

While ur input sounds very reasonable but this paragraph got me asking... WHAT THEN IS THE FUNCTION OF GOD IN OUR LIVES?

Again... Given Ur maturity, don't u think the op is far above all u said... I mean, don't u think he has gone beyond this stage u re presenting ur argument?

He sound so sincere and deeply hurt. I am wondering what it took him to come up with this thread, something most Christian commenters here obviously fail to notice.

Christianity might preach peace, love and hope but it sure misses something... EMPATHY. Christians dnt have the ability to put themselves in another's shoes. You are either a devil or a demon once u are not dancing to their tone.

I don't know what happened to the "missionary works" movement of Christianity. Everyone is now in the racing of "winning souls for Christ" from all over the world and private jets ate needed for this operations.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:

curious

If science is truth, and God is truth therefore...
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 01, 2017
onyenze123:

If science is truth, and God is truth therefore...
does this make any sense? naw!
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:
does this make any sense? naw!

are you an atheist? grin
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by CHARLOE(m): 8:54pm On May 01, 2017
azaino:

I wanted to tell you something, but that cutting of hand thing you said shows your level of knowledge. have a nice day bro
What do u 1 2 tell me? Cutting of hand is metaphorical n d 2nd part of d sentence that talks bout hell is literal abi. So who's to decide what is metaphorical n what is literal?
Guy, understand something, some of us did more than u guys are doing now, we carry d matter for head like kilode!
Until we started asking questions n kicked out fear; fear of questioning d bible, fear of hell etc. And curbed our greed n gullibility. Sweet words don't move me, only d truth doesdoes.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 01, 2017
onyenze123:

are you an atheist? grin
no! I still believe in God
but his ways are not exactly what we term it to be
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Wilgrea7(m): 9:31pm On May 01, 2017
frank317:

i don't have a definite answer for this yet.. but i am 100% sure that praying to find your missing pen or asking God for miracle job is far from it

maybe... probably.. i just tried to encourage him any way i can.. my post wasn't to make him remain a Christian.. he seems to be leaning towards deism.. i have no problem with the outcome of whatever decision he may take.. what kind of advice do you think would be befitting for the OP?

I know... its not easy at all.. that's why we have to encourage him irrespective of our beliefs or lack thereof..

yes i agree.. many Christians lack empathy.. i was once like that... but i try to put myself in other people's shoes now.. that's why i didn't condemn him.. i wish more Christians can be more open minded
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:
no! I still believe in God

but his ways are not exactly what we term it to be

good, we are even

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by otemdomino: 10:29pm On May 01, 2017
Foxyn:

curious
The only thing that cannot be created or destroyed is energy. It's science that discover energy and the sum total of all energies in the world is part of God. God does not have to be a he or she.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 01, 2017
bizme:
It wasn't the Church service of today that made me decide.
It was rather several pieces of disappointment and dashed expectations that forced me to make up my mind today.

Following my conversion years ago, I had spent a substantial part of my youthful life in the service of God. No amount of discouragement from my Dad and peers would slow me down in the pursuit of the love and service of God my Father. At a point I had approached my parents that I was considering opting for pastoral school instead of University admission. I had at the time been offered an admission into one of the leading federal universities in the country. Eventually my dad's voice of reason prevailed and I went to University. In University, I lived and conducted myself as a man whose singular hope and passion was the pursuit of God, roving from villages to villages every week, preaching and pastoring village churches. Away from the demands of my studentship.

But in the real world, the popular promise that God always has my back has been no more than a sale's man's quip which is often far from the reality on ground. I have asked fellow Christians questions, but they have failed to provide me with answers that don't refer me back to the usual call to patience and perseverance. If I do not enjoy God's promises in the time of my youth, what then is the point? What is the point in repetitively making the same requests for years without answer from God?

I consulted widely, reading books and studying other peoples' experiences and I have come to this conclusion: that I am on my own in this world. That God probably finished His part when He created me; that the entirety of my fate and experience will hereafter depend on me and my societal factors. That all the praying and singing and clapping in the church are no more than a desperate attempt for most of us to believe in a God who has got no better job than bailing us out of our miseries...

Well, it has been years now and He hasn't bailed me out. My life, the experiences of it, has not been any better than that of those who have refused to acknowledge God or to serve Him. Henceforth, I'm going to turn my time and attention to more product things than church attendance. My woman isn't going to like this, but I feel like a fraud sitting there in Church today and refusing to say the prayers since all those I had said these past years don't seem to have been answered.

This is no feast for atheists. I don't have enough faith to be one. This is simply my step of courage to step outside profitless religion into personal effort to take my own matters into my own hands. And you don't have to agree with my conclusions, if you look at it carefully you will realize that I have no obligation to live my life based on others' experiences. Just mine.
I just smile at you. If some of us share our experience, you would be grateful to Yahweh for keeping you. Probably you don't know why certain answers aren't coming but it's for your own good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Saved The Thief On The Cross? / Do You Realise That We Don't Really Exist? / Provoking Blessings!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.