Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham (8699 Views)

Beware Of House On The Rock Church & It's Members / Church: It Is Time To Shake Off The Distraction / Imagine Christianity Without Church, It Will Be Awesome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 25, 2020
Thanks.
genieplus86:
Good friend I understand your decision and the path you have chosen. I have an advice though. Just find time and start all over with reading the Bible from Genesis. Read it with an open mind. Then share your experience later. Shalom!
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 25, 2020
Actually, I think we give Satan too much credit than he deserves. When neither Christianity nor Islam had arrived Nigeria, he did not even exist in our consciousness. So, this isn't about Satan or any other intangible entitle you would like blame for man's decision. This is about man making decisions.

Julivas:
@bizme, i quite understand your plight.
What i will tell you is that, your turn to be richly blessed is at hand. Satan just want to use his subtle manner to deprive you of ur inheritance in Jesus Christ. Please don't allow devil to have his way.
Go back to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour and wait as He perfect all things concerning you.
Happy Sunday.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Jman06(m): 6:31am On May 26, 2020
bizme:
You know, two days ago I still had a discussion like this with my mom after she had issued the general recommendation to pray to God to help Nigeria as a country. I told her Nigeria is in our hands, not Gods. I sincerely believe that. That the fate of a person or group of persons is indeed in their hands, and not in the deities that we Nigerians are more often than not ready to blame for everything.

Just imagine what this country would look like by now, if all the shared delusional expectation in God's intervention had been replaced with a conscientious nationalist and patriotic readiness to make things work individually and collectively!...

I really do hope that the eyes of many more Nigerians will be open after this COVID19 palaver, that in the end, our religious obsession has counted for almost nothing.

I really hope it does open their eyes.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Brunicekid(m): 7:40am On May 26, 2020
bizme:
Actually, I think we give Satan too much credit than he deserves. When neither Christianity nor Islam had arrived Nigeria, he did not even exist in our consciousness. So, this isn't about Satan or any other intangible entitle you would like blame for man's decision. This is about man making decisions.

Satan is part
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On May 26, 2020
So, @OP, since you quit being a Churchian almost 2 years ago, how has life been as a whole? Have you found that God lives outside of the Churches and Pastors? Or what? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by karo93: 1:22am On May 27, 2020
bizme:
You know, two days ago I still had a discussion like this with my mom after she had issued the general recommendation to pray to God to help Nigeria as a country. I told her Nigeria is in our hands, not Gods. I sincerely believe that. That the fate of a person or group of persons is indeed in their hands, and not in the deities that we Nigerians are more often than not ready to blame for everything.

Just imagine what this country would look like by now, if all the shared delusional expectation in God's intervention had been replaced with a conscientious nationalist and patriotic readiness to make things work individually and collectively!...

I really do hope that the eyes of many more Nigerians will be open after this COVID19 palaver, that in the end, our religious obsession has counted for almost nothing.

3 years and counting boss ! Glory to God ! I really enjoyed reading this thread so imagine my joy when i saw a recent post from you.

How has it been outside organised christianity? From what i read so far; You have never stopped believing in Jesus as Lord. You rather have disagreements about how God is portrayed.

Have you made any additions or subtractions from your beliefs as at 3yrs earlier?

Do you attend church occasionally or not at all?

Despite tethering on the very edge i was amazed that you continued to believe in Jesus and the ministry of the Holyghost.....why? Have you had a supernatural encounter with the spiritual in the name of Jesus?

What experiences have so kept you that no matter your disagreements with God, you cannot doubt his existence.

Have you found out the purpose of God in the lives of christians?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On May 27, 2020
@OP, don't keep us waiting.. undecided
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 27, 2020
Thanks Chairman.

I am still wondering how you arrived at the assumptions implied in the highlighted part.

But has anything changed in the last three years? Let us just say that several things around me have further confirmed the fact that organized religion is indeed an opportunity for a select few to lord control over the majority. This COVID19 situation has further exposed many of them; many who claimed to have special healing anointing are hiding with the rest of their members, just like every so-called unbeliever is hiding. I have had more time to study people, events, and the history and I am increasingly convinced the the organisation called the church in Nigeria is far from whatever Christ had sought to establish. I have also come to conclude that Christ did not come to found the kind of Church that men erected against His fame.
Since my fast post three years ago, I have increasingly examined the toga of bondage that Christianity forces unknowingly upon people. I have also come to the conclusion that the majority of Nigerian Christians are in the main hypocritical, hateful, lacking in humanity and afraid of examining facts that conflict with the set of assumptions they call faith. They do not know enough about the faith they profess to have saved their own souls by that knowledge, yet they always seek to make conclusions on their ignorance while asking others to join the faith they themselves are not sure of. They are generally too lazy and/or afraid to critically examine biblical 'facts'. In short, they are too afraid of the truth even though they claim to follow Christ Who is the Truth...

I hate confrontations, so I have largely stayed away from engaging in faith-based arguments with them. But there have been very few cases of some pushing to have my opinion about these things... Needless to say, none of them was sufficiently grounded in the Bible to be able to give explanations for some posers thrown at them. They all went quietly in pursuit of their modern Christianly voodoo.

Let's just say I am too rational to be one of you guys. One needs to suspend his brain to be a proper Nigerian Christian. Unfortunately my brain is my greatest asset, and none of you has any decent evidence what lies ahead of this life. So it makes no sense that y'all should destroy the present world based on an imagined order of future times.

karo93:

3 years and counting boss ! Glory to God ! I really enjoyed reading this thread so imagine my joy when i saw a recent post from you.

How has it been outside organised christianity? From what i read so far; You have never stopped believing in Jesus as Lord. You rather have disagreements about how God is portrayed.

Have you made any additions or subtractions from your beliefs as at 3yrs earlier?

Do you attend church occasionally or not at all?

Despite tethering on the very edge i was amazed that you continued to believe in Jesus and the ministry of the Holyghost.....why? Have you had a supernatural encounter with the spiritual in the name of Jesus?

What experiences have so kept you that no matter your disagreements with God, you cannot doubt his existence.

Have you found out the purpose of God in the lives of christians?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by sonmvayina(m): 5:05pm On May 27, 2020
Brunicekid:
Satan is part

How?..

There is this song we used to sing in church, when I was still a sheepie.. It goes

"when God says yes, nobody can say No... "

When God says No, nobody can say yes...

It was when I left, I really understood it..
It means that God is the only power in this world.. Hence it is called a Universe.. Rather than a duoverse or something else..

He decided virtually everything.. Both good and evil.. So, Satan can't act without God saying yes or no.. Just as lamentations puts it in 3:38.."out of the mouth of the lord proceeds both good and evil" and Isaiah sums it up in 45:7..i form light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil.. I the Lord do all these things...

So Satan, if he even exist MUST always bend to the will of God..
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 27, 2020
I had no idea you were waiting. smiley
Sorry for keeping you waiting
Kobojunkie:
@OP, don't keep us waiting.. undecided
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Kobojunkie: 5:12pm On May 27, 2020
bizme:
Let's just say I am too rational to be one of you guys. One needs to suspend his brain to be a proper Nigerian Christian. Unfortunately my brain is my greatest asset, and none of you has any decent evidence what lies ahead of this life. So it makes no sense that y'all should destroy the present world based on an imagined order of future times.
Praise the Lord . . . For you have been delievered from the Religion of Christianity and Churchianism!

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 27, 2020
grin grin grin
Your words remind of a book I read while in secondary school or so. The Social Contract written by the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau. A line from that back has remained with me ever since: "Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains". We all were born free but with every breath taken the society wraps around us unbelievable layers of bondage especially in the name of tradition and religion. These two seek to have you delegate your thinking to people from the past who had died.
Tell me, why should I in the 21st century make critical decisions based on some text written thousands of years ago? These texts can at best be taken as a general rough guide, but no more. The Bible for instance supported slavery, it also supported suppression of the rights of women. I am yet to see another book that contains so much racism as the Bible. What Boko Haram is doing pales considerably beside many atrocities recorded in the Bible... And when it comes to the rape and ransacking of the blackman's heritage, the Bible was a major too of achieving that. The Bible, not necessarily Christ though.

Historically Christ refused to live according to the toxic doctrines of the Bible and that was the main reason He was murdered by the Jewish equivalents of our 21st century men of God. In fact the way Christ lived with humanity being the most prized love of His heart, people like our MoGs would not have accepted Him into their Churches were He to walk the Earth today. They would have considered Him too worldly, too sinful, too proud, and relying too much on reasoning.

Kobojunkie:

Praise the Lord . . . For you have been delievered from the Religion of Christianity and Churchianism!
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On May 27, 2020
bizme:
We all were born free but with every breath taken the society wraps around us unbelievable layers of bondage especially in the name of tradition and religion. These two seek to have you delegate your thinking to people from the past who had died.
Jesus Christ is against religion which is nothing but the cultures and traditions of men, not God.

bizme:

Historically Christ refused to live according to the toxic doctrines of the Bible and that was the main reason He was murdered by the Jewish equivalents of our 21st century men of God. In fact the way Christ lived with humanity being the most prized love of His heart, people like our MoGs would not have accepted Him into their Churches were He to walk the Earth today. They would have considered Him too worldly, too sinful, too proud, and relying too much on reasoning.
That they would
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by gangapuli: 6:37pm On May 27, 2020
The belief and the church eventually is in our hearts,'Ye shall know the Truth, And the truth shall set you free"

Our hearts tell us when things are real or not, Likewise, when we worship God for God, things of this world won't matter because our goal is to make heaven, even though we will encounter rough waters to achieve this. We should not lose focus of Heaven our Home.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by karo93: 8:01pm On May 27, 2020
bizme:
Thanks Chairman.

I am still wondering how you arrived at the assumptions implied in the highlighted part.

But has anything changed in the last three years? Let us just say that several things around me have further confirmed the fact that organized religion is indeed an opportunity for a select few to lord control over the majority. This COVID19 situation has further exposed many of them; many who claimed to have special healing anointing are hiding with the rest of their members, just like every so-called unbeliever is hiding. I have had more time to study people, events, and the history and I am increasingly convinced the the organisation called the church in Nigeria is far from whatever Christ had sought to establish. I have also come to conclude that Christ did not come to found the kind of Church that men erected against His fame.
Since my fast post three years ago, I have increasingly examined the toga of bondage that Christianity forces unknowingly upon people. I have also come to the conclusion that the majority of Nigerian Christians are in the main hypocritical, hateful, lacking in humanity and afraid of examining facts that conflict with the set of assumptions they call faith. They do not know enough about the faith they profess to have saved their own souls by that knowledge, yet they always seek to make conclusions on their ignorance while asking others to join the faith they themselves are not sure of. They are generally too lazy and/or afraid to critically examine biblical 'facts'. In short, they are too afraid of the truth even though they claim to follow Christ Who is the Truth...

I hate confrontations, so I have largely stayed away from engaging in faith-based arguments with them. But there have been very few cases of some pushing to have my opinion about these things... Needless to say, none of them was sufficiently grounded in the Bible to be able to give explanations for some posers thrown at them. They all went quietly in pursuit of their modern Christianly voodoo.

You once made a statement in your earlier posts years ago that you still believed in God, Jesus and the holyspirit when you were accused of shifting into Deism.... matter of fact, many atheists were confident that u will eventually enter atheism with the way you were going at the time.

Thus; Do you still believe in Jesus as Lord?

If you do; Have you yet found out the purpose for God in the lives of believers?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 27, 2020
I must say you sound more like you're trying to seize this opportunity to evangelize to me. grin grin

Right?

Otherwise, why on Earth are you surreptitiously asking me to make the Christian confession of faith? You asking me whether I still believe in Jesus... And then the purpose for God in the lives of believers.

I believe in humanity.

karo93:

You once made a statement in your earlier posts years ago that you still believed in God, Jesus and the holyspirit when you were accused of shifting into Deism.... matter of fact, many atheists were confident that u will eventually enter atheism with the way you were going at the time.

Thus; Do you still believe in Jesus as Lord?

If you do; Have you yet found out the purpose for God in the lives of believers?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by karo93: 10:48pm On May 27, 2020
bizme:
I must say you sound more like you're trying to seize this opportunity to evangelize to me. grin grin

Right?

Otherwise, why on Earth are you surreptitiously asking me to make the Christian confession of faith? You asking me whether I still believe in Jesus... And then the purpose for God in the lives of believers.

I believe in humanity.

Lol. Boss.....u have really gotten paranoid o....Go through my posts on this religious section and you may have a better idea about me.

I am sincerely interested in your progression over the years and i believe the path you chose to take holds many answers that will be beneficial to all of us; Religious and non religious folks alike.

I have no intention of convincing you to choose any path. I just want to learn from you.

Pls answer the questions i posed as much as you can.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by karo93: 10:51pm On May 27, 2020
bizme:

I wouldn't exactly call my evolving philosophical view deism. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit... What I no longer subscribe to is organized religion that makes promises on behalf of God, promises God doesn't appear to be keen on keeping.

What I no longer subscribe to is the bandwagon of feverish supplications and emotional songs that seek to deaden one's senses to accurately appreciate the way the world works.

What I no subscribe to is the recognition of the physical and social principles that govern our existence, and that God appears to have given the reigns to these principles to dictate man's experiences.

For all that keep attacking me on my change of mindset, I have nothing but pity to offer you. At least I am humble enough to acknowledge the impracticality of my philosophical points of view... I recognized the Christian call and call to Christ followership as a covenant, in other words, an agreement binding on both parties. If God called you into that agreement He must be willing to honor His part of the bargain, as long as you're keeping your parts up. Otherwise, we should simply reduce Christianity to a call to misery, to pains, to despair... I do not include the entertainer MOGs driving flashing cars and jets in my description: such individuals are not even Christians to start with. They are conmen and slaves of their own bellies, to be pitied above men because even in repulsive opulence all they seek after is to take the little that you have to further enrich their purses.

I have come to believe that the form of the gospel preached to us is probably strange to God Himself. God created the world, sent His Son, sent His Spirit, gave His grace. And that's where it ends. All that is left for me is to determine my own fate, the outcome of my life by manipulating physical and social principles to my advantage...

Yes with me your demons and doctrines die, 'cos they fail to scare me now.

Na wetin you talk i dey ask you o......i am not trying to make you agree to anything.

My question is...... do u still stand by this statement you made?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Kobojunkie: 12:31am On May 28, 2020
bizme:
I believe in humanity.
shocked

Jeremiah 17 vs 5-10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. This is what the Lord says:
“Bad things will happen to those who put their trust in people.
Bad things will happen to those who depend on human strength.
That is because they have stopped trusting the Lord.
6. They are like a bush in a desert where no one lives.
It is in a hot and dry land.
It is in bad soil.
That bush does not know about the good things that God can give.

7. “But those who trust in the Lord will be blessed.
They know that the Lord will do what he says.
8. They will be strong like trees planted near a stream
that send out roots to the water.
They have nothing to fear when the days get hot.
Their leaves are always green.
They never worry, even in a year that has no rain.
They always produce fruit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Created God Or How Did God Come Into Existence? / Palm Sunday: The Triumphant Entry Of Jesus Into Jerusalem / Bishop Oyedepo Is Evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.