Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,880 members, 7,956,322 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham (9141 Views)

Beware Of House On The Rock Church & It's Members / Church: It Is Time To Shake Off The Distraction / Imagine Christianity Without Church, It Will Be Awesome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by michaelwestern(m): 1:37am On May 04, 2017
Mujtahida:

The same common sense rules we apply to everything in life that makes our lives liveable are suspended when it comes to the God matter. If you judge the christian God by his own words, Bro, he fails. For example he says love your enemies and do good to those who treat you ill but him nko what does he do or proposes to do? Cast them his enemies into hell. Yeah so much for loving your enemies.

Dude God died for his enemies (including you and me). What other love do you want? God hates sin but he became sins for our sake.

Do you think what will take people to hell is committing sins (which God hates)? NO.

what will take people to hell is not believing in Jesus and rejecting this great sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Mujtahida: 3:37am On May 04, 2017
michaelwestern:

Dude God died for his enemies (including you and me). What other love do you want? God hates sin but he became sins for our sake.

Do you think what will take people to hell is committing sins (which God hates)? NO.

what will take people to hell is not believing in Jesus and rejecting this great sacrifice.
What sin(s) have I committed that would warrant God dying for me? That I steal, lie, kill, fornicate etc now means God will now go and die? I cannot believe in a God that can physically send his son to die for my sins but cannot physically speak to me himself or to the congregation of believers. I used to believe all that crap for so long but no more. Let me go to hell. And here's an explanation of what your Bible says regarding one man dying for the sin of another http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation1.html
See also this detailed explanation: http://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/leviticus-1711/
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by An2elect2(f): 9:15am On May 04, 2017
michaelwestern:

Love you for this.

Which pastors do you listen to? (just curious)
smiley smiley Thank you.

R.C. Sproul.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by CyrusTheGreat: 9:47am On May 04, 2017
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by michaelwestern(m): 12:07pm On May 04, 2017
Mujtahida:

What sin(s) have I committed that would warrant God dying for me? That I steal, lie, kill, fornicate etc now means God will now go and die? I cannot believe in a God that can physically send his son to die for my sins but cannot physically speak to me himself or to the congregation of believers. I used to believe all that crap for so long but no more. Let me go to hell. And here's an explanation of what your Bible says regarding one man dying for the sin of another http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation1.html
See also this detailed explanation: http://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/leviticus-1711/

God speaks to believers regularly through the Holy Spirit, but most times it's our flesh that hinders us from hearing Him.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by azaino: 12:26pm On May 04, 2017
Foxyn:
lol @the_bolded grin
baba, you said me reading those books won't make me know God? grin
you don forget say na people wey sabi God pass for bible write those books? cheesy

so E mean say the book bin no make dem sabi God well abi?

or in the other way round you mean I shouldn't read what the men of God in the bible wrote?

or do you mean they wasted their time to write about evil?

for what need?
now these are the questions you should ask yourself

we have all been deceived

once you realize this, you will understand that we are more than a normal being

we are gods ourselves

but una religion no allow make boys shine eyes

not to talk of that book called the bible

Jesus said that if our faith is small as that of the mustard seed that we can move a mountain

baba, I had so much faith that I went on 6:00am - 6:00pm without drinking even water just because I thought my faith was enough to get me what I needed

but uptil now, that faith that made me fasted that long hasn't given me what I needed

or will you say the faith wasn't as big as a mustard seed?

okay, what about the one I fasted for complete 14days 6am - 12pm?

will you also say it wasn't big like a mustard seed to give me what I needed?

I even applied patience as written in Hebrews 10:36

still yet, nothing worked grin

Jesus said "ask and it shall be given "

baba I don't ask tire lol

ma no talk..

what I've come to discover now is that

God is not all of that we read in the bible

old testament will make you understand the real God

he was a blood tasty and a very jealous God

fast in anger

ma no go that side sha

Jesus came and changed all of that

but our bible does not say 100% truth about God

it was tempered with

that is why you won't see some verses in the new English translation while you will see it in KJV

humans had to edit it to make it sweet for people like you to embrace it with ease

you may ask yourself why the other books were left out

take that as an assignment
Hahahahahahaha, this guy go kill me. Why are you fasting nah. 6am-6pm, and 6am-12pm for 14days, for wetin nah. Eat and drink well unless money no dey for pocket then I can understand that, bros you have been practicing religion, lolz.

The fullness of God has been revealed in Christ alone. That was what apostle paul received from God on his way to Damascus to arrest the apostles. When Paul started to preach that same gospel of Christ that the other apostles were preaching, he was killed too.

In fact, my guy you have been following religion for too long. Most religious teachings are based on the old testaments. Even moses told the Israelites that God will raise from among them a man just like him, a prophet, and that they should listen and do anything he will tell them. All the prophet and all that moses did was to lead them to Christ,

bros, your mind is already made u, I cant convince you, that's the work of God himself.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Afonjanightmare(m): 1:27pm On May 04, 2017
alexmaye:
look GOD is never wrong just focus on your goal and add GOD to your formula and you are good to go for me with God everything is possible so it doesn't matter when you want but its purpose for which he designed it for you.

Please just shaarap already

When you tell Christians to explain God's presence grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by legendary16(m): 3:40pm On May 04, 2017
frank317:

xtfranks005@gmail.com
how bout whatsapp ?
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Vivian16: 12:02pm On May 05, 2017
Don't allow d devil to mislead u, God created us only for these four reasons: to know Him, to love Him, to serve Him in dis world and to live happily with Him in Heaven. Every other thing u are seeking for is jara which the Bible has promised that will be added unto u if u seek first d kingdom of God.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by urheme: 12:50pm On May 05, 2017
frank317:

Unfortunately 90% of Christians seek physical rewards. I don't blame them though... Every one wants to have a better life... Everyone wants good health, better job. Everyone would prefer to have enough and not remain hungry.

You would really be hypocritical if you say your Christian life has nothing to do with physical reward. Infact, God in the Bible expect you to desire physical reward that's why he promise to give you more than bread when u ask and he promised to bless you and give you long life.

[i]Now the remaining 10% who actually are​
Christians just for humanity sake are just like that. These people will remain humanitarians even if they were atheists or Muslims or pagans.

Given this natural desire to be physically rewarded... People who pray and worship God while expecting one good thing or the other from him are hooked.

I totally agree with the quote...........the good Samaritan was humane....it is obvious that God recognized his services..however not a christian if i may put it.

off what relevant are the others who walked away from a dying man .

A christian life is a life of contentment, joy and satisfaction.....gaining the whole world will not give any man happiness.

imagine... seeking a reward of long life......a miserable long life...cravings for long life is equally greed.

The good things that money can buy are not reward from God...apply a simple principle of business and you will prosper......make plenty money.

The reward is in heaven......everything acquired on earth will be left behind to decay........Christians should better change their mind set.

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by genieplus86(f): 2:59pm On May 05, 2017
Good friend I understand your decision and the path you have chosen. I have an advice though. Just find time and start all over with reading the Bible from Genesis. Read it with an open mind. Then share your experience later. Shalom!
bizme:
It wasn't the Church service of today that made me decide.
It was rather several pieces of disappointment and dashed expectations that forced me to make up my mind today.

Following my conversion years ago, I had spent a substantial part of my youthful life in the service of God. No amount of discouragement from my Dad and peers would slow me down in the pursuit of the love and service of God my Father. At a point I had approached my parents that I was considering opting for pastoral school instead of University admission. I had at the time been offered an admission into one of the leading federal universities in the country. Eventually my dad's voice of reason prevailed and I went to University. In University, I lived and conducted myself as a man whose singular hope and passion was the pursuit of God, roving from villages to villages every week, preaching and pastoring village churches. Away from the demands of my studentship.

But in the real world, the popular promise that God always has my back has been no more than a sale's man's quip which is often far from the reality on ground. I have asked fellow Christians questions, but they have failed to provide me with answers that don't refer me back to the usual call to patience and perseverance. If I do not enjoy God's promises in the time of my youth, what then is the point? What is the point in repetitively making the same requests for years without answer from God?

I consulted widely, reading books and studying other peoples' experiences and I have come to this conclusion: that I am on my own in this world. That God probably finished His part when He created me; that the entirety of my fate and experience will hereafter depend on me and my societal factors. That all the praying and singing and clapping in the church are no more than a desperate attempt for most of us to believe in a God who has got no better job than bailing us out of our miseries...

Well, it has been years now and He hasn't bailed me out. My life, the experiences of it, has not been any better than that of those who have refused to acknowledge God or to serve Him. Henceforth, I'm going to turn my time and attention to more product things than church attendance. My woman isn't going to like this, but I feel like a fraud sitting there in Church today and refusing to say the prayers since all those I had said these past years don't seem to have been answered.

This is no feast for atheists. I don't have enough faith to be one. This is simply my step of courage to step outside profitless religion into personal effort to take my own matters into my own hands. And you don't have to agree with my conclusions, if you look at it carefully you will realize that I have no obligation to live my life based on others' experiences. Just mine.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by paxonel(m): 5:49pm On May 05, 2017
bizme:
It wasn't the Church service of today that made me decide.
It was rather several pieces of disappointment and dashed expectations that forced me to make up my mind today.

Following my conversion years ago, I had spent a substantial part of my youthful life in the service of God. No amount of discouragement from my Dad and peers would slow me down in the pursuit of the love and service of God my Father. At a point I had approached my parents that I was considering opting for pastoral school instead of University admission. I had at the time been offered an admission into one of the leading federal universities in the country. Eventually my dad's voice of reason prevailed and I went to University. In University, I lived and conducted myself as a man whose singular hope and passion was the pursuit of God, roving from villages to villages every week, preaching and pastoring village churches. Away from the demands of my studentship.

But in the real world, the popular promise that God always has my back has been no more than a sale's man's quip which is often far from the reality on ground. I have asked fellow Christians questions, but they have failed to provide me with answers that don't refer me back to the usual call to patience and perseverance. If I do not enjoy God's promises in the time of my youth, what then is the point? What is the point in repetitively making the same requests for years without answer from God?

I consulted widely, reading books and studying other peoples' experiences and I have come to this conclusion: that I am on my own in this world. That God probably finished His part when He created me; that the entirety of my fate and experience will hereafter depend on me and my societal factors. That all the praying and singing and clapping in the church are no more than a desperate attempt for most of us to believe in a God who has got no better job than bailing us out of our miseries...

Well, it has been years now and He hasn't bailed me out. My life, the experiences of it, has not been any better than that of those who have refused to acknowledge God or to serve Him. Henceforth, I'm going to turn my time and attention to more product things than church attendance. My woman isn't going to like this, but I feel like a fraud sitting there in Church today and refusing to say the prayers since all those I had said these past years don't seem to have been answered.

This is no feast for atheists. I don't have enough faith to be one. This is simply my step of courage to step outside profitless religion into personal effort to take my own matters into my own hands. And you don't have to agree with my conclusions, if you look at it carefully you will realize that I have no obligation to live my life based on others' experiences. Just mine.
Op, you have just taken the right decision.
Quit going to church, its useless to Christ. Read your bible you will see that Jesus never build any building called church.
But it will be most profitable to maintain your believe in Christ for your eternal life at the end of your life, not for solving your problems.
If you want to solve your problems go and work and earn money.
Church has never solved anybodys problem, rather, it is you that is running at lost if you keep going, while the pastors are the once enjoying
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by alexmaye(m): 6:28pm On May 05, 2017
Afonjanightmare:

it is well
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by paxonel(m): 6:36pm On May 05, 2017
Ishilove:
This is what happens when you don't handle your foundation. This life is very deep and mysterious.
Big lie!!!
Life is very sweet and straight foward if you understand Bible and know your way early enough. Only ignorant people who run after church and pastors says life is mysterious.
Unfortunately,89% Nigerian Christian are like th. No proper education, na diabolism, church prayer and babalawo them know
That why life is still mysterious in Africa
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 06, 2017
Thank you all for your candor, both those who attacked me and those who encouraged... You have all spoken out of a desire to help. And this is what I love about Nairaland, people do not need to pretend or fear in speaking their mind... We all pretend in religious houses--a pastor says something silly and you all have to pretend he is right, an Imam tells you a non-Muslim is a devil and you have to at least temporarily agree with him because he holds the microphone... Here, and for the first time, everyone can equally speak their mind.

I believe questions like this will never be answered beyond all doubt, and each of us will eventually have to adopt a belief system that serves us best.
Regards

1 Like

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 12:28am On May 07, 2017
Foxyn:
I believe all what you just wrote up there.

I didn't say I'll stop serving him

but my problem with him is why he lied to me and literally going against his words in the bible.

I feel he's not all what is written in the bible

a man can disappoint or lie to me and I'll overlook... but God?

naw! I can't just let it slide like that

you know one thing about we Christians is that we always want to defend our God in anyway even when he's at fault

me am not like y'all

when he's wrong I tell it openly

got nothing to hide

I can't be fooled

My guy it seems you are confused.

You said you didnt mean you are not giing to serve him again but you are showing Him He is a liar.
See you cant deceive God. You should either choose to serve Him and stop insulting Him and ask for forgiveness Or you stop Serving His as you have done and countinue acting like the Atheists . How do they act? Then dont believe He exists so they dont serve Him and therefore they Insult Him at will.

Have you stoped to ask yourself why He pretends like He doesnt hear the insults hauled at Him by these guys also. Dont you think He should have killed them also. Oooh grin
What you are angry at is He didnt answer your prayers.

God is not like you and me. He made rules that He Himself can not go against.

Have you checked your life thoroughly and see if you arent living a life of Sin? Remember "We cannot be living in sin and say the blessings of God should be multiplying"

Life is a choice.

It has been given to you to choose One either to serve God or Not to.

You cant stay in between Bro. Choose One
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 9:02am On May 07, 2017
davtosh:

My guy it seems you are confused.

You said you didnt mean you are not giing to serve him again but you are showing Him He is a liar.
See you cant deceive God. You should either choose to serve Him and stop insulting Him and ask for forgiveness Or you stop Serving His as you have done and countinue acting like the Atheists . How do they act? Then dont believe He exists so they dont serve Him and therefore they Insult Him at will.

Have you stoped to ask yourself why He pretends like He doesnt hear the insults hauled at Him by these guys also. Dont you think He should have killed them also. Oooh grin
What you are angry at is He didnt answer your prayers.

God is not like you and me. He made rules that He Himself can not go against.

Have you checked your life thoroughly and see if you arent living a life of Sin? Remember "We cannot be living in sin and say the blessings of God should be multiplying"

Life is a choice.

It has been given to you to choose One either to serve God or Not to.

You cant stay in between Bro. Choose One
your whole writeup is RUBBISH!

no atom of sense in it
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 07, 2017
Foxyn:
your whole writeup is RUBBISH!

no atom of sense in it

Thanks Jare Mr Sensible.

For your info the police are no more guarding the Bridge on the Lagoon. You are free for a Dive grin
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 07, 2017
davtosh:

Thanks Jare Mr Sensible.

For your info the police are no more guarding the Bridge on the Lagoon. You are free for a Dive grin
you can clearly see why I said your comments are senseless.
sad

please don't quote my ass again
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Julivas(m): 3:45pm On May 07, 2017
@bizme, i quite understand your plight.
What i will tell you is that, your turn to be richly blessed is at hand. Satan just want to use his subtle manner to deprive you of ur inheritance in Jesus Christ. Please don't allow devil to have his way.
Go back to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour and wait as He perfect all things concerning you.
Happy Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 07, 2017
Foxyn:
you can clearly see why I said your comments are senseless.
sad

please don't quote my ass again

You first quoted me telling me Im not sensible.

I dont want to say you are INSANE because it is Sunday. or have I said it?.

Next time wen u see my moniker know what you throw at me. I will not only quote your ass I will quote your anus and manhood join.

There is a lunatic who sells Sense at Ojota u can go buy one from him.

Happy Sunday
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 07, 2017
davtosh:

You first quoted me telling me Im not sensible.

I dont want to say you are INSANE because it is Sunday. or have I said it?.

Next time wen u see my moniker know what you throw at me. I will not only quote your ass I will quote your anus and manhood join.

There is a lunatic who sells Sense at Ojota u can go buy one from him.

Happy Sunday
NP: Kendrick Lamar - Humble
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 07, 2017
Foxyn:
NP: Kendrick Lamar - Humble

Kp reporting I hope those you are calling their attention would be truthful and Godly enough to go through our replies to each other and judge wisely.

Kp calling attention
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by 0temAtum: 1:59pm On Nov 17, 2017
how can you prove that God is in science?

curious
Firstly, God is the source of true knowledge. You can actually get the purest form of knowledge through science. That's what I mean by the sentence 'God is in science'.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2017
All things work together for those that love God. The world and all things in in it will pass away but those that do the will of God will remain forever and ever.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nwaoma198(f): 2:47pm On Nov 17, 2017
My dear God does not lie,all we do is to exercise patience.
Op am hoping to join you soon cry

just exactly the same problem am facing

mine is even worst, he lied and deceived me which still hurts till now.
shebi numbers 23:19 talk say our God no dey lie?

not to talk of Mathew 7:7-11 lol

no wonder Kendrick Lamar said in his new album that "God is one funny moda'facka, though we still gotta love and trust him" grin

I'm seriously angry with him now that I've decide not to put my trust in him anymore

until he let's me see the reason he didn't do as he said.

I can't put my hope on something that lies sad

let his words in the bible judge him

I'm out..
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2017
Nwaoma198:
My dear God does not lie,all we do is to exercise patience.

You are one funny human being.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by adelee777: 5:20pm On Nov 25, 2017
God can't be wrong. And He can't lie. Pastors can tell you ''God, says...''... It is not evry1 of dem dat you shld believe. Shalom.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 25, 2020
This is approximately 3 years after that thread was started, and still I enjoy reading your response. :-)

I believe all what you just wrote up there.

I didn't say I'll stop serving him

but my problem with him is why he lied to me and literally going against his words in the bible.

I feel he's not all what is written in the bible

a man can disappoint or lie to me and I'll overlook... but God?

naw! I can't just let it slide like that

you know one thing about we Christians is that we always want to defend our God in anyway even when he's at fault

me am not like y'all

when he's wrong I tell it openly

got nothing to hide

I can't be fooled
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 25, 2020
You know, two days ago I still had a discussion like this with my mom after she had issued the general recommendation to pray to God to help Nigeria as a country. I told her Nigeria is in our hands, not Gods. I sincerely believe that. That the fate of a person or group of persons is indeed in their hands, and not in the deities that we Nigerians are more often than not ready to blame for everything.

Just imagine what this country would look like by now, if all the shared delusional expectation in God's intervention had been replaced with a conscientious nationalist and patriotic readiness to make things work individually and collectively!...

I really do hope that the eyes of many more Nigerians will be open after this COVID19 palaver, that in the end, our religious obsession has counted for almost nothing.

Jman06:
Op just woke up today!

For me, the only God i have on this earth are my parents for they gave me the opportunity to experience this life.

If there's a god who cares about the affairs of man he wouldn't go and hide himself whereever and expect us to just believe he exists, yet he gave us a RATIONAL mind.

2 Likes

Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:42pm On May 25, 2020
Well my fellow Nigerian, that's just opinion about how salvation is gotten. What makes your religion the true one especially when you have never practiced another religion? The God that caused you to be born into the family where it was easy for you to grow up a Christian, are you saying He loved you much more than the other people He sent to this world through societies where they have an effectively zero chance of coming across the message of Christ...

If no one decides the society and the family he/she comes to the world through, why then should one be punished for not accepting a religious philosophy that one's birth made it impossible for one to accept in the first place? How does that look just to you? God must be just.

CandidSeeker:

...But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?-Ezekiel 18:21-23

And concerning your signature: You cannot win your salvation, you cannot lose your salvation. Salvation is dependent on the LORD.

YOU CAN LOSE YOUR SALVATION.

...Wherefore let him that thinks he stands take heed lest he fall - 1Cor.10:12

Afterward Jesus finds him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee - John 5:14

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven- Matt.7:21

But [b]when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity
, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. - Eze.18:24

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: - Ephesians 4:13-15

- Growth Is Required.

- Peace.
Re: Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 25, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin
Afonjanightmare:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Laziness? / The Story Of Joseph And His Coat Of Many Colors / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.