Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,345 members, 7,860,886 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:06 PM

What Is So Special About Human Life? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is So Special About Human Life? (4512 Views)

Human Life Circle In Pictures: Which Stage Are You Currently? / #prayformuamba: Footballing Moment That Proved A Human Life Was More Important.. / Some Amazing Facts About Human Brain:part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 8:36am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

yes one of those "feel good" things we say. being a caucasian also means you belong to the most evolved and superior races

Feel good yeah right. That's exactly what you are proving in this thread, that there's no meaning or significance to your life.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 8:42am On May 15, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

the classic theistic bullsheeet

If it's rubbish, why do you and hardmirror agree to it? You say your life is meaningless or not special. Hardmirror said the same thing as a christian, that life without God is meaningless or not special. Are we missing something here?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 8:50am On May 15, 2017
johnydon22:
I will reply this from a scientific point of view, from a vintage point past the shores and limitations of this earth. Humans are young and venerable but yet are brave and curious.

The Cosmos may be densely populated with intelligent beings. But the evolutionary lesson is clear: There will be no humans elsewhere. Only here. Only on this small planet. We are a rare as well as an endangered species. Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In all million billion galaxies scattered in the vastness of forever, you will not find another.

Does 'endangered species' have no meaning or has it taken up new meaning? How can a specie that keeps increasing in billions, and is projected by every sane mind to increase significantly in the next couple of decades be said to be endangered species?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 8:52am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

And what celebrats us as special? Us? Just the way some races are more superior to other races? Or do we want to pretend that the black race is the most useless of all races? Do we want to play political-corretedness now? There could be an alien race out there so so advanced that we are just like ants to them, we don't even worth their attention. I am sure a lion would feel very special when it captures a human and feeds on his flesh. It is all an illusion. We are all weak and no different from a rat that holds dear to life. What do we live for? Sex, food? What? That tells you how special we are.

Or so there could be an alien race out there, but we should rule out the possibility of God out there. You're indeed deceiving yourself and having itching ears.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 8:54am On May 15, 2017
bqlekan:
Special? I think not

Limited perception The human mind is so limited in it's understanding of the universe. There appears to be a barrier to what we can understand. Just as ant wouldn't know about the existence of Jupiter and will never be, the human mind will never go beyond certain limits in it's existence.

Death You think we are more special than host of unicellular/multicellular organisms? Then why do we have to die like them? We are yet to solve the puzzle of death. An unknown disease can wipe out our entire populace, a slight modification to the air we breathe in and we are diseased/deceased.Yet, there are even hosts of organisms out there who arguably don't die. That alone knocks us off from being special.

The cosmos To think that we can't even travel out of our own galaxy yet is a reason not to feel too special. Even if we can, we won't even reach 5% of the observable universe in our lifetime.
Voyager 1 took a picture of earth from space decades ago, (image below) the earth appeared like a speck of dust hanging in a vacuum. Earth doesn't appear so special from there, why do we think we are.

Humans are not special, earth is, earth may continue to sustain life after we are long gone. As a theist, I believe God intentionally put a barrier around us. We won't see beyond our perception.
Thank you very much my good sir. We are just one of the animals on earth, we are in our own world and feel special, just the way a frog feels special in it's little pond.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 8:58am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

Feel good yeah right. That's exactly what you are proving in this thread, that there's no meaning or significance to your life.
*smiles* and what meaning does your life have can you tell me?
You want me to deceive myself? I know my life has no consequence. I am yet to meet anyone whose life has any consequence. So you may be the first educate me on your influence on the cosmos that means YOU MUST EXIST. If you don't exist what is the loss to the cosmos

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 9:00am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

Or so there could be an alien race out there, but we should rule out the possibility of God out there. You're indeed deceiving yourself and having itching ears.
What god? The one in your mind?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 9:04am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

Does 'endangered species' have no meaning or has it taken up new meaning? How can a specie that keeps increasing in billions, and is projected by every sane mind to increase significantly in the next couple of decades be said to be endangered species?
And I guess this billions and billions of people all have a special purpose right? Lol. Those lies that makes us all feel good. Like the delusional human rights and all men are equal we chant
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 9:48am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:
*smiles* and what meaning does your life have can you tell me?
You want me to deceive myself? I know my life has no consequence. I am yet to meet anyone whose life has any consequence. So you may be the first educate me on your influence on the cosmos that means YOU MUST EXIST. If you don't exist what is the loss to the cosmos

i'm not here to prove anything to you, i have no such obligation. i'm simply hear to remind you/show you that it is the same thing you said when you were a christian. Life without God(like yours) is meaningless.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 9:51am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

What god? The one in your mind?

Dunno where, you said that there could be an alien race out there. Without any proof of any kind, you have some sort of belief that there could be aliens out there. But hypocritically and on no premise conclude that there is no God out there. They call it double standards, i call it hypocrisy and deceiving one's self.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 9:54am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

And I guess this billions and billions of people all have a special purpose right? Lol. Those lies that makes us all feel good. Like the delusional human rights and all men are equal we chant

These billions are not 'endangered species', the point was clear. What is useless to you can be useful to another. It is not what happens to you but your reaction to what happens to you, as they say. What i trash as useless, some people are picking and making a livelihood out of it. That is the fact of life that we deal with. i understand when you see your life as purposeless, i tell people that all the time. LIFE WITHOUT GOD IS MEANINGLESS. i feel your pain.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Elkay3: 10:00am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

Look at syria, that's one place to start for you too.
I don't see frogs, fish, birds, monkeys, tigers doing so much damage to life. Look at the amazon and behold the wonder of man. How many acres of virgin forest do we log everyday? Go figure.

You think we are special because we have technology? I can imagine if something makes the sun's gravitational pull all of a sudden stronger and the earth is pulled towards the sun at a faster rate, how special would we be?

How special are we when floods, volcanic eruptions and earth quakes devastate us? Oh, we are weaklings. We are just like everyother living thing. We die and we die very easily. Does not seem so special to me.

The fish has an eye that rotates at 360¤. Sharks detects blood and heart movement at distance away. The chameleon has a skin that can adapt to its environment. Speed of a cheetah, wow. Or strength of a lion. Absolute. Meerkat has a natural built-in sunshade to its head structure. Jellyfish is immortal, literary. Have you seen a gliding snake? Oh so beautiful, even when I can't get to like snakes. Camels and Dung beetles are good at astrology, following moons , stars to guide them. I can go on and on and on... all so beautiful and special. I like watching those lovely channels on television of either LCD or OLED, using electricity generated by huge machines mostly placed by dams transmitted via a specially designed equipment called satellite orbiting in the nearest galaxy (perhaps even bumping into some unknown or unidentified species). Or. On a computer or laptop, programmed by man to run on sequences of 0s and 1s, or on modern studied algorithms, all by man and his inspiration. We, as man, using equipment and a sense of timing and intellect, can sit down and observe them, their habits, habitats and behaviours. Even domesticated some to do our bidding. Intellects does that.

And then, there's Syria. Hiroshima. Holocaust. Gaza. 9/11. Rape. Murder. Stealing. Cheating. Robbing. Deforestation. Glaziers melting. Drought. Gay and lesbianism which even other animals don't do that. This list would even require much space to complete. I'm not denying that.

But yet, man has a much higher sense of what's wrong and what's right. Man is born with a natural instincts to distinguish right from wrong, even when man continuously does the wrong. Other species acts on impulse, not on reason. Not on intellects. Not on inspiration. Not on motivation. None of those.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by hopefulLandlord: 10:00am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

i'm not here to prove anything to you, i have no such obligation. i'm simply hear to remind you/show you that it is the same thing you said when you were a christian. Life without God(like yours) is meaningless.

actually you do, otherwise these words you guys claim he "supposedly" said when he was a Christian are simply clichés and feel good words just like he said few posts ago

so tell us the objective meaning of life?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Nobody: 10:02am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:
first technology does not make us special. We evolved and survived fine for millions of years without it. Many animals have been in existence for millions of years and they are doing just fine without any of the things man created. We are even doing damage to the planet and wild life than helping them.

As to the question of who would defend the planet from a giant asteriod. Pls don't be fooled by all you see in media and documentaries. Man is soooo helpless. Maybe a small asteriod can be blasted off collision course to the earth but not a big one.

It is just like the way america creates an illusion of their secret service being all knowing but truth is they are not all what they claim. It is all part of the strategy to make people feel they are in control.

And we should not be worried about an asteriod that is most unlikely to hit the earth. No asteriod as don any significant damage for how many years now? 100,000 years? A million years? Be worried about our fantastic stockpile of weapons of mas destruction. I guess that makes us special right?

Yes.

Imagine that weapon of mass destruction in the hands of monkeys today, what do you think will happen?

Human is the only creature on earth that can cooperate on a global level to achieve their goals. In the story of evolution, they is a huge gap between humans and apes. That huge gap has sth to do with divinity
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by dalaman: 10:02am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

A life without God is meaningless, you must have preached this as a christian. Remember?

What is the meaning of life with God? By the way which of the Gods?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:06am On May 15, 2017
Elkay3:

The fish has an eye that rotates at 360¤. Sharks detects blood and heart movement at distance away. The chameleon has a skin that can adapt to its environment. Speed of a cheetah, wow. Or strength of a lion. Absolute. Meerkat has a natural built-in sunshade to its head structure. Jellyfish is immortal, literary. Have you seen a gliding snake? Oh so beautiful, even when I can't get to like snakes. Camels and Dung beetles are good at astrology, following moons , stars to guide them. I can go on and on and on... all so beautiful and special. I like watching those lovely channels on television of either LCD or OLED, using electricity generated by huge machines mostly placed by dams transmitted via a specially designed equipment called satellite orbiting in the nearest galaxy (perhaps even bumping into some unknown or unidentified species). Or. On a computer or laptop, programmed by man to run on sequences of 0s and 1s, or on modern studied algorithms, all by man and his inspiration. We, as man, using equipment and a sense of timing and intellect, can sit down and observe them, their habits, habitats and behaviours. Even domesticated some to do our bidding. Intellects does that.

And then, there's Syria. Hiroshima. Holocaust. Gaza. 9/11. Rape. Murder. Stealing. Cheating. Robbing. Deforestation. Glaziers melting. Drought. Gay and lesbianism which even other animals don't do that. This list would even require much space to complete. I'm not denying that.

But yet, man has a much higher sense of what's wrong and what's right. Man is born with a natural instincts to distinguish right from wrong, even when man continuously does the wrong. Other species acts on impulse, not on reason. Not on intellects. Not on inspiration. Not on motivation. None of those.
And what's the special pupose man serves? What exactly are we doing or aiming our existence at?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by hopefulLandlord: 10:07am On May 15, 2017
dalaman:

remember that thread which Christians quickly spilled the same nonsense about meaning then you asked them the meaning of life and they then went around in circle saying nothing? I remember Felixomor and 4evrrgod were one of those Christians, can't remember the thread right now
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by dalaman: 10:09am On May 15, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

remember that thread which Christians quickly spilled the same nonsense about meaning then you asked them the meaning of life and they then went around in circle saying nothing? I remember Felixomor and 4evrrgod were one of those Christians, can't remember the thread right now

And KingEbukasBlog grin grin. No be small thing. They came harangiung us that life has meaning bla bla bla. When I asked them to tell me the meaning of life non of them could answer.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by hopefulLandlord: 10:11am On May 15, 2017
dalaman:

And KingEbukasBlog grin grin. No be small thing. They came harangiung us that life has meaning bla bla bla. When I asked them to tell me the meaning of life non of them could answer.

true that

I found the thread, their rubbish started here https://www.nairaland.com/3521495/religion-illusion-works-well/1#51973791
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:11am On May 15, 2017
onyenze123:

Yes.

Imagine that weapon of mass destruction in the hands of monkeys today, what do you think will happen?

Human is the only creature on earth that can cooperate on a global level to achieve their goals. In the story of evolution, they is a huge gap between humans and apes. That huge gap has sth to do with divinity
What is the purpose of man with all the technology? You seem not to see the big picture. Ok we are intelligent, what is the purpose of the intelligence? It helps us "improve" our life, we can create things to make life easier for ourselves. Goog, after that, what next? What if we could even make life so good, we live longer, what is the purpose our living longer serve? What if we have weapons, what purpose is it going to serve. If our intelligence keeps the world going, what purpose does that serve? If man can live forever, what purpose does that serve? We live for basics at the end. It is all about pleasure and that is no purpose
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:12am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

Aliens aint special. It is from our vain minds we attribute superiority to anything. What would be special about aliens?
when i said special i wasn't talking about them being superior to us.. i was talking about every living creature being special in their own way to a certain extent.. irrespective of whether they are smarter than us or not

When you realize the vastness of the universe, of the cosmos, you realize how long it has been in existence and how long it would be in existence (for eternity), you realize we are just a speck of the creations of the cosmos that would pass away. We would be long gone as a species and the cosmos would reuse us as resources that has nothing to do with our intelligence. That is how not special we are. We are struggling to survive. We are helplessly grasping for life. We are pretentious but our real aim is survival. We aint special. We may dress up in suit and spray cologne on our bodies to smell nice, it is all part of the survival game. When cancer or other terminal diseases hit us, we realize how not special we are

in my opinion, humans or life in general isn't not special because we're tiny or because we die... i think what makes something special is that its there... it may not last.. but the fact that it may cease makes it worth it.. we won't be here forever.. true.. but we have now.. we could either appreciate and enjoy it or loathe our existence... in my opinion... that's what makes us “special"
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:14am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

These billions are not 'endangered species', the point was clear. What is useless to you can be useful to another. It is not what happens to you but your reaction to what happens to you, as they say. What i trash as useless, some people are picking and making a livelihood out of it. That is the fact of life that we deal with. i understand when you see your life as purposeless, i tell people that all the time. LIFE WITHOUT GOD IS MEANINGLESS. i feel your pain.
I agree, my life is meaningless. Pls I pray you, tell me the meaning your life has
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 10:15am On May 15, 2017
dalaman:

Eternity and purpose. There is only one God and you know who so stop asking foolish questions this early Monday morning.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 10:17am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

I agree, my life is meaningless. Pls I pray you, tell me the meaning your life has

Good. i'm not under any obligations to tell you but since you begged, ETERNITY and PURPOSE. i have eternity in view, i have a purpose for all i do, and i have fulfillment.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:17am On May 15, 2017
Wilgrea7:

when i said special i wasn't talking about them being superior to us.. i was talking about every living creature being special in their own way to a certain extent.. irrespective of whether they are smarter than us or not

in my opinion, humans or life in general isn't not special because we're tiny or because we die... i think what makes something special is that its there... it may not last.. but the fact that it may cease makes it worth it.. we won't be here forever.. true.. but we have now.. we could either appreciate and enjoy it or loathe our existence... in my opinion... that's what makes us “special"
Then we are not more special than a dog or cat. We are all the same so why do we always think we are better than other animals? I don't see anything that makes us special from them.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Elkay3: 10:18am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

And what's the special pupose man serves? What exactly are we doing or aiming our existence at?

Can you help me define Special?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:21am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

Good. i'm not under any obligations to tell you but since you begged, ETERNITY and PURPOSE. i have eternity in view, i have a purpose for all i do, and i have fulfillment.
Can you tell us about this purpose? Everything has purpose. Even the rocks and chickens serve a purpose. So what makes you more special than a chicken? Eternity, we are all eternal and would always be eternal, even a chicken is eternal and has always been. We die and our matter and energy goes back into circulation. So what makes you more special because those things you listed are what every living and non living things have. Eternity and purpose.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Image123(m): 10:22am On May 15, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

actually you do, otherwise these words you guys claim he "supposedly" said when he was a Christian are simply clichés and feel good words just like he said few posts ago

so tell us the objective meaning of life?

i don't. i'm being very generous today.
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

You can never do this and regret life or be depressed.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Oloruntobi4382(m): 10:23am On May 15, 2017
HardMirror:

Then we are not more special than a dog or cat. We are all the same so why do we always think we are better than other animals? I don't see anything that makes us special from them.
Hello HardMirror. It seems your life is meaningless right now but i feel for you bro. Don't worry, in your next life on earth i pray you find something special about your life because right now i don't think you have hope. Have a nice day.
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by Elkay3: 10:25am On May 15, 2017
Elkay3:

For clarity sake, let's stay on a page.

You talked about Syria and blacks vs whites, and stuffs like that, I agreed with you. But note that, that's between man and man.

You talked about animals abilities, I also agreed with you. But again, note that, that's between man vs other animals.

You talked about (non) intelligent aliens, let me also agree. Note: man vs other non specific beings.

Cosmos? Yeah. Agreed. Note: man vs outer space and galaxy.

It's a vast stuff. And I followed you to type such a long stuff, when I didn't even realise you're holding on to a hydra-argument. If anyone cuts one, you'll present another.

I forgot something, you talked about a frog being more fulfil than man. Are you speaking for yourself or on behalf of the over 7billion people that cuts across many races speaking understandably different modes of communication in continents that circled the globe?
And how..please, how do you define fulfilment to a frog?
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by hopefulLandlord: 10:28am On May 15, 2017
Image123:

i don't. i'm being very generous today.
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

You can never do this and regret life or be depressed.

just what I expected, inability to think further than your chosen god/religion

Image123, that simply means the Hindu life is meaningless, so does the Muslim, so does the........

special pleading grin
Re: What Is So Special About Human Life? by HardMirror(m): 10:32am On May 15, 2017
Elkay3:

spe·cial/ˈspeSHəl/
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
noun
a thing, such as an event, product, or broadcast, that is designed or organized for a particular occasion or purpose.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Four Types Of Tithes As Mentioned in The Bible / Jesus Was Wrong, There Is No Mustard Tree / The Story Of Jizz-us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.