Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14178 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2010
Omolulu:

As i read from an earlier post the problem is from  your arrogance and i obviously know u are being analytical to a fault, instead of just posting topics because u have strength to reply you should allow those who want to donate irrespective of the problems we have in Nigeria donate chikena! Until this   kind of thing affects your family members before you know that life is more than complaining whether one govt is good or bad. if your problems is Nigerians donating because they don't have light and water, well at least they have their lives and loved ones, and once there is life there is hope, so just save your energy for a more constructive topic,

Many of you are simply being myopic . . . i didnt even post the topic, it was created by the mods. If i did i wouldnt be so immodest as to use my name in the title. I think many of you who constantly whine about "arrogance" have your own issues with insecurity and inferiority complex.

Back to the issue at hand . . . i'm not surprised you revert to insults since you cant provide valid reasons why Haiti is of importance to Africans who wilfully ignored Sudan and have forgotten that Somalia remains a lawless nation more than 17 yrs after the fall of Siad Barre. Keep donating to an island that is thousands of miles away from you . . . your economy is no better. We are simply blessed not to have natural disasters too. We'd have been no different.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

My dear . . . the truth is bitter. When i see Africans being equally concerned about their neighbors here in Africa then i could change my mind.

Wow - and from Buffalo you can tell that all the people on this forum are not concerned about their neighbours in Africa. You know these people aren't doing their best to help emergency relief or other forms of assistance in Africa. Of course - by sitting in Buffalo you have, with astounding intellect, determined ALL our motives and how we would respond.

Of course, you've also magically determined what we will contribute to and what we won't. Change your mind? Why? You already know it all - our motives, our failures and not forgetting the most important, our lack of shame.

If Haiti were in Africa and in civil war . . . i doubt anyone would care about them.

Wow - a civil war caused by people fighting themselves is of course equivalent to an act of God, bigger than anything that has happened in 200 years. Of course these two are the same thing. My head is about to burst from the amazing intellectual arguments being put forth here.

Its hard to watch TV, read the news, see all these celebs "urging us to give" (even though they could single-handedly fund the recovery in Haiti with one single pay check) . . . and not be "inspired" to give too.

Oh, so because the celebrities don't give all their own money, individuals choosing to give should not do so? Get off your high horse man - you're so far gone in your supposed understanding and self importance that you don't realise how ot of line you are.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by jaybee3(m): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

If Haiti were in Africa and in civil war . . . i doubt anyone would care about them.

you are now comparing natural disasters to man made disasters?
level of ignorance being displayed is untrue.
shior
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2010
debosky:

No one said age doesn't matter, BUT it is the most irrational and reductionist argument to claim that simply beause the US is younger than Haiti then Haiti should not be less developed or cannot receive aid from the US.

Lets assume your argument (non-argument as far as i'm concerned) is valid . . . why is Haiti still grossly underdeveloped? Its population is about 2 million!

debosky:

Did Dominican republic receive independence AGAINST the wish of the colonial powers? Admit - just like the people you are accusing, you know next to NOTHING about the genesis or time line of Haiti's problems.

Absurd. Read your own argument here and weep. So who punished Haiti and refused to allow it develop? How did Cuba survive with all the sanctions?

debosky:

Stop making silly comparisons - was Cuba denied ALL trade during it's early years? Was Cuba not bankrolled by the Soviet Union for most of those years and now by Venezuela? Was Iraq prevented from trading? What comparisons are you making?

Valid comparisons that blow this nonsense out of the water. Haiti has been under trade embargoes for over 200 yrs? How come its leaders have access to facilities that are denied the average Haitian? This isnt even worth responding to.

debosky:

Like I said initially - this is all about YOU and how it makes you feel. If your blackness hurts you so much, I can supply you with bleaching cream.  grin grin

Sure its about me and how it makes me feel . . . i'm only sad situations like this dont provoke a moment of introspection from so many others. It makes me understand why the black world remains the butt of the world's jokes.

I cant imagine seeing images of helplessness, poverty and backwardness and all i'm inspired to do is "give". when will i start demanding that blacks stand up and insist on functioning societies?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
jay bee:

you are now comparing natural disasters to man made disasters?
level of ignorance being displayed is untrue.
shior

another fool who simply comes to bleat. So a natural disaster inspires you to donate while a civil war inspires you to look the other way?

Silly cretin . . . civil wars in Sudan have accounted for more than twice the number of deaths in Haiti and is still going on . . . i wonder why you're giving to Haiti and ignoring Sudan. But oh i forgot you were enlightened and i was the ignorant one.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
and who are we having inferiority complex of, hope it's not of you cos you would really be deceiving yourself, i dont have to feel inferior to someone who is so knowlegeable he cant even see the simple handwriting on the wall, well that's another issue

Who is arguing with you about the importance of Haiti to Africa,, The wars in Somalia and Sudan,are they natural disasters or man made disasters?I believe you know the answer to this so i wont say so much, Haiti's own disaster did not give any warnings and people of all levels have gone to their graves, i would rather donate to a credible agency and be happy dat i contributed a little something to people thousands of miles away, Nigeria knows the solution to her problem,which is the same thing we've being repeating for 50 years,
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
debosky:

Wow - a civil war caused by people fighting themselves is of course equivalent to an act of God, bigger than anything that has happened in 200 years. Of course these two are the same thing. My head is about to burst from the amazing intellectual arguments being put forth here.

Urgh . . . we also have the same mental disconnect here. But oh well . . . i guess when the US and others start calling desperately for aid to Sudan you all will remember its time to donate your $10.

So an act of God inspires you to donate but an act of man inspires you to look the other way?

My head is also about to burst from the amazing display of hypocrisy on display here.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
Omolulu:

and who are we having inferiority complex of, hope it's not of you cos you would really be deceiving yourself, i dont have to feel inferior to someone who is so knowlegeable he cant even see the simple handwriting on the wall, well that's another issue

Who is arguing with you about the importance of Haiti to Africa,, [size=14pt]The wars in Somalia and Sudan,are they natural disasters or man made disasters?[/size]I believe you know the answer to this so i wont say so much, Haiti's own disaster did not give any warnings and people of all levels have gone to their graves, i would rather donate to a credible agency and be happy dat i contributed a little something to people thousands of miles away, Nigeria knows the solution to her problem,which is the same thing we've being repeating for 50 years,

The last 3 posters seem to be having the same problem.

I ask again . . . so a natural disaster is open to help and donations while man-made disasters that cause way more death and suffering is not deserving of your help?

You all make me sick.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bluespice(f): 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
I'm appalled at the statements made by david,
irrespective of skin color or the fact that their country has been in all but a state of emergency for more than 20 years,
the present situation is one that needs people to shelve whatever second thoughts they might have and help.
Granted few people knew the country haiti existed before this catastrophe, but has that hindered them from helping?

you do realise that only last fall, the island was battered by series of storms, so even if they were supposed to be prepared do you not think they were also trying in their own way to rebuild the loss they suffered from the storms?

Human lives have been lost, and all you can think about is the public's perception of blacks as poor people?
which public?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
Oh my !!! This conversation has really gone deep down so many more levels than I expected it would angry

Man-made vs God-made? Skin color? US masters?? eeeekkkk!!! lol
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2010
You are one sick motherfucker, but it cant be helped, you are a grown man so i guess ur problem would be with you a long time.,, [b]IS CIVIL WAR A MAN MADE PROBLEM OR A NATURAL DISASTER? WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF CIVIL WAR IN AFRICAN STATES?[/b] answer this question the last three people have asked you before displaying your stupidity once again (it's inferiority complex right?)
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 8:39pm On Jan 15, 2010
i didnt mean naughty person, i meant mO.T.H ER mess.ER
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
bluespice:

irrespective of skin color or the fact that their country has been in all but a state of emergency for more than 20 years,
the present situation is one that needs people to shelve whatever second thoughts they might have and help.
Granted few people knew the country haiti existed before this catastrophe, but has that hindered them from helping?

you do realise that only last fall, the island was battered by series of storms, so even if they were supposed to be prepared do you not think they were also trying in their own way to rebuild the loss they suffered from the storms?

Human lives have been lost, and all you can think about is the public's perception of blacks as poor people?
which public?

Another hypocrite pretending to be "appalled".

I asked a question everyone seems to be ignoring . . . how come Haiti has no seismic monitoring station and the Dominican Republic has one?

I ask again . . . where have you been all the time Sudan and Somalia have been burning? Where was your donation when congo was burning? what have you donated to the thousands who continue to die on nigerian roads daily?

Yeah sit tight in your comfy chairs in the west feeling "appalled". No wonder the west looks down on you all. They are donating and you poor folks whose countries are still coming to beg them for aid are also shouting to donate too? pfft.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

Lets assume your argument (non-argument as far as i'm concerned) is valid . . . why is Haiti still grossly underdeveloped? Its population is about 2 million!

Precisely a display of what I said - Haiti's population is 9 million. How can you argue about something you know SO LITTLE about?  

Absurd. Read your own argument here and weep. So who punished Haiti and refused to allow it develop? How did Cuba survive with all the sanctions?

Wow - the support from the SECOND LARGEST world power in the shape of the USSR? So you're also ignorant of how they assisted Cuba? Go read what has been posted already about the history of Haiti - if you don't even bother to educate yourself before passing judgment then what is the point?  

Valid comparisons that blow this nonsense out of the water. Haiti has been under trade embargoes for over 200 yrs? How come its leaders have access to facilities that are denied the average Haitian? This isnt even worth responding to.

How have the 'leaders' done this? Or are you imagining it just like the 2m population? Again, this is about understanding the problem right? Obviously you don't understand it, but are making assumptions.

Sure its about me and how it makes me feel . . . i'm only sad situations like this dont provoke a moment of introspection from so many others. It makes me understand why the black world remains the butt of the world's jokes.

If your moment of introspection leads you to conclude you cannot do anything to change things because you lack billions - it's been very useful indeed.

I cant imagine seeing images of helplessness, poverty and backwardness and all i'm inspired to do is "give". when will i start demanding that blacks stand up and insist on functioning societies?
No one is against demanding - but when you DENIGRATE genuine acts that will meet an IMMEDIATE need, even if not solving every problem in the world, then you are completely misguided.

Keep demanding - I guess that will save the people dying right now. Talk is cheap - people are giving and you are talking about 'rising up'. Will you rise in Haiti too? Instead of doing what will affect the lives of individuals, you are talking about revolution. No wonder Nigerians are known for empty talk - this is a prime example of it - point fingers all day long but castigate even the little steps being taken to help people.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 15, 2010
Omolulu:

i didnt mean naughty person, i meant mO.T.H ER bleep.ER

what can one expect from people with low IQs? Just go donate . . . at least that one doesnt require intelligence.

bluespice:

which public?

More absurdity . . . so the country has been in a state of emergency because of earthquakes right? Where has all the aid it gets gone? Why is the Dominican Republic not in a state of emergency too? Afterall dont they share the very same island?  undecided You gotta wonder at how some folks reason at times.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

Urgh . . . we also have the same mental disconnect here. But oh well . . . i guess when the US and others start calling desperately for aid to Sudan you all will remember its time to donate your $10.

This is foolish. How do YOU know what I as a person has done with regard to Sudan? Don't you see the sheer foolishness of your presumptive comments?

So an act of God inspires you to donate but an act of man inspires you to look the other way?

Who said anyone looked away? When trying to make comparisons at least make coherent ones. How do YOU know who has looked away and who hasn't?

Besides, your ridiculous argument is that because you didn't help a particular group or person, any help given to another group is worthless. That is a highly irrational thought.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 8:44pm On Jan 15, 2010
you're on point, i dont need a high I.Q like yours to know right and wrong, Since you need one to reply, you must be pretty dull
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
debosky:

Precisely a display of what I said - Haiti's population is 9 million. How can you argue about something you know SO LITTLE about?

hmmm honest error. 2 million . . . 9 million whats the huge difference? Its about the same population as its neighbours who also suffer natural disasters AND SURVIVE!

debosky:

Wow - the support from the SECOND LARGEST world power in the shape of the USSR? So you're also ignorant of how they assisted Cuba? Go read what has been posted already about the history of Haiti - if you don't even bother to educate yourself before passing judgment then what is the point?

The USA is the largest aid donor to Haiti . . . what other excuse can you come up with?

debosky:

How have the 'leaders' done this? Or are you imagining it just like the 2m population? Again, this is about understanding the problem right? Obviously you don't understand it, but are making assumptions.

Go back and read up on Haiti's leadership problems . . . let me help you . . . go google "Haiti" and "corruption". Perhaps you dont even know much more than i do.

debosky:

Keep demanding - I guess that will save the people dying right now. Talk is cheap - people are giving and you are talking about 'rising up'. Will you rise in Haiti too? Instead of doing what will affect the lives of individuals, you are talking about revolution. No wonder Nigerians are known for empty talk - this is a prime example of it - point fingers all day long but castigate even the little steps being taken to help people.

funny you only remember the dying in far away Haiti. When the thousands were dying in sudan you were too busy talking about Eboue.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bluespice(f): 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

Another hypocrite pretending to be "appalled".

I asked a question everyone seems to be ignoring . . . how come Haiti has no seismic monitoring station and the Dominican Republic has one?

I ask again . . . where have you been all the time Sudan and Somalia have been burning? Where was your donation when congo was burning? what have you donated to the thousands who continue to die on nigerian roads daily?

Yeah sit tight in your comfy chairs in the west feeling "appalled". No wonder the west looks down on you all. They are donating and you poor folks whose countries are still coming to beg them for aid are also shouting to donate too? pfft.
good fc-ukin lord!
hypocrite?
that i prefer to see human beings as people irrespective of skin color or origin instead of bother myself senseless on the perception of the world on people of dark skin makes me a hypocrite??
you're a joker
Where was i when sudan and somalia were burning?
same place i am now - doing my bit in whatever way i can to help those suffering
i can't stop the war, but i can provide help to those suffering from the war.
I can't do anything about haiti, but i can provide help in anyway to those suffering now.

Pray tell, since you're not a hypocrite, with all your talk about sudan and somalia,
in what way are you different from those that prefer to talk about the problems as academic discussions?
if you're willing to support or criticize a man-made disaster, how much more a natural one?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
debosky:

This is foolish. How do YOU know what I as a person has done with regard to Sudan? Don't you see the sheer foolishness of your presumptive comments?

Who said anyone looked away? When trying to make comparisons at least make coherent ones. How do YOU know who has looked away and who hasn't?

Besides, your ridiculous argument is that because you didn't help a particular group or person, any help given to another group is worthless. That is a highly irrational thought.

Pretty foolish on your part too because i never made this argument about YOU as a person.

This is a general point . . . you can make it about you if you pls . . . be my guest.

Simple FACT . . . we've had way more hype about Haiti than we showed as a body to the dead and dying in our continent. It has taken the UN to forcibly extract concessions from the AU to donate troops to quell the civil war in Sudan. the same nations who are falling over themselves to support Haiti anyway.

It has nothing to do with you or whoever pleases to make assumptions i am concerned about their personal donations.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
bluespice:

good fc-ukin lord!
hypocrite?
that i prefer to see human beings as people irrespective of skin color or origin instead of bother myself senseless on the perception of the world on people of dark skin makes me a hypocrite??
you're a joker
Where was i when sudan and somalia were burning?
same place i am now - doing my bit in whatever way i can to help those suffering
i can't stop the war, but i can provide help to those suffering from the war.
I can't do anything about haiti, but i can provide help in anyway to those suffering now.

Pray tell, since you're not a hypocrite, with all your talk about sudan and somalia,
in what way are you different from those that prefer to talk about the problems as academic discussions?
if you're willing to support or criticize a man-made disaster, how much more a natural one?

this is bogus nonsense. Haitians are black like you. Next.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 8:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Again I ask you:

davidylan:

Its so easy to castigate the US government as "failing to help Katrina victims" . . . i wonder why you're not accusing Red Cross, Oxfam or the many foreign countries for not donating enough to help katrina victims.

I went that way because you was praising the white man for something they did not do.
The Red cross did plenty to help.

You're a hypocrite of the highest order David. Did you know that 320 people donating 20$ each would have completely paid for Josh's Surgery? Did You not as well fold your hands?

And you castigate for donating 10$. if 1 million donates 10, what does that make?
Its so simple to make intellectual arguments when its not your life being affected.

You can keep donating if you wish . . . i will save my money for those who truly deserve it.
^ This. Save your money for what? You dont give a crap about 9ja you don't care about Haiti.
You care about your feelings Right David?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Haiti has no seismic monitoring stations . . . American scientists warned of this earthquake as far back as March 2008.

Nah . . . isnt it typical of black nations . . . its just easier to insult me than see the bigger picture.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

Pretty foolish on your part too because i never made this argument about YOU as a person.  

Who did you make it about? Did you not condemn people asking for contributions on THIS FORUM? How much do you know about their individual giving?

This is a general point . . . you can make it about you if you pls . . . be my guest.

General to whom? What do you know about the people on THIS FORUM'S giving that you pass judgment?

Simple FACT . . . we've had way more hype about Haiti than we showed as a body to the dead and dying in our continent.

Right - and that somehow means that the Haitians dying and suffering is not genuine? Does the absence of good in one case mean good in another case is not valid?  

It has taken the UN to forcibly extract concessions from the AU to donate troops to quell the civil war in Sudan. the same nations who are falling over themselves to support Haiti anyway.

Which nations? Has Nigeria sent troops to Haiti instead of Sudan? What are you claiming? Do you even know how much was donated or is currently being donated? Your ignorance is shocking.

It has nothing to do with you or whoever pleases to make assumptions i am concerned about their personal donations.

You are concerned about their personal donations? Just how much do you know about people's personal donations that has led you to the ability to conclude on what everyone is doing?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
platinumnk:

Again I ask you:

I went that way because you was praising the white man for something they did not do.
The Red cross did plenty to help.

You're a hypocrite of the highest order David. Did you know that 320 people donating 20$ each would have completely paid for Josh's Surgery? Did You not as well fold your hands?

And you castigate for donating 10$. if 1 million donates 10, what does that make?
Its so simple to make intellectual arguments when its not your life being affected.

How did you know i just folded my hands? And they accuse me of assumptions.  lipsrsealed You gotta love these guys.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by stronger: 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2010
@ DEBOSKY. . . I'm glad there are still folks like you who are thinking right. Big up, bro!

@ DAVID

davidylan:

Why is it that white and asian nations have the capacity and foresight to prepare for incidents like this far in advance and we cant?
Why are we the only race that is constantly and accurately portrayed in the media as completely helpless without outside aid? It isnt only Haiti . . . Sudan, somalia, Congo . . . when are we going to bring out the begging bowls for them too?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?

davidylan:

. . i am simply suggesting that blacks get their acts together and confront the problem besetting nations with predominantly black people head on. I wonder if i'm alone in starting to feel ashamed on the images of blacks on TV. Are we inferior to the whites and Asians who DEVELOP the capacity to deal with crisis like this?

Okay now, let me attempt to put to rest the impression you get that it's ONLY THE BLACK MAN that can't deal with NATURAL DISASTERS!!
Ever heard of the earthquakes (1920, 1927, 1974, 1976 etc) and Floods (1938, 1939, 1949, 1959) in CHINA? (. . . the last time I checked, Asian)
. . .Droughts, Earthquakes and landslides in the SOVIET UNION? (from elementary geography,  EUROPEAN)
. . . Droughts, Earthquakes, Hurricanes etc INDIA? (Again, could be ASIAN, what do you think, David?)
. . . Earthquakes in Japan, Italy, Peru, Turkey, Chile etc Definitely NOT BLACK countries!!!

When these catastrophic NATURAL DISASTERS occured, prepared or not, David, these countries NEEDED help from the rest of the world. . including BLACK NATIONS!!
I hope this puts to rest the fact that it's not about black and white, but about helping a country in need (regardless of colour) to cope with a disaster that even the most technologically advanced NON-BLACK nation couldn't have handled alone!

davidylan:

It might interest you to know that $3bn in aid from the US achieved nothing.
So, we shouldn't donate, right? since it will achieve nothing anyway. . and Like my friend Debosky pointed out, this is pure speculation. . . besides, when I see the Red Cross and other Charities hand out supplies that will put (even if momentary) smiles on those homeless, starving children. . I'll be glad I donated that "meager" $10.

davidylan:

Truth be told . . . those who WILL donate to Haiti are doing so, they do not require announcing it on a forum to do their civic duty.

True, true. .  meanwhile, Let the rest of us Hypocrites get as many people to donate as possible. . and tell them HOW to donate. That's not a problem now, is it?

davidylan:

I'm begining to think you all cannot read. Pls go back to my posts . . . where did i tell you not to give?

davidylan:

That aside . . . no one came here to "condemn aid donations" . . .

WRONG!! Like I pointed out (and you haven't countered), your earlier posts more than suggest that donations are an . . .

davidylan:
. . . Absolute waste of time
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 8:59pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

How did you know i just folded my hands? And they accuse me of assumptions.  lipsrsealed You gotta love these guys.

Dude, I KNOW every one that donated.You DID NOT. You cannot make your assumptions TODAY! cheesy

So when a time to help out one of your own, where were you? You dont care about those at home, neither those overseas. So what do you care for? Your respect from the worlds view?
davidylan:

Haiti has no seismic monitoring stations . . . American scientists warned of this earthquake as far back as March 2008.

Nah . . . isnt it typical of black nations . . . its just easier to insult me than see the bigger picture.
You found just as easy to insult those who are trying to help. .
undecided  

I can see if you did actually try to help, but u didnt and u choose to castigate those who want to help. Hypocrisy of THE HIGHEST ORDER!
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

So this is still raging on  grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
debosky:

Right - and that somehow means that the Haitians dying and suffering is not genuine? Does the absence of good in one case mean good in another case is not valid?  

It has nothing to do with how genuine or not the Haitian suffering is . . . i am more concerned with Africans who run away with empty emotionalism when their own house is burning. Its like me running around to put out the fire in your house when my own door is smoldering.

debosky:

Which nations? Has Nigeria sent troops to Haiti instead of Sudan? What are you claiming? Do you even know how much was donated or is currently being donated? Your ignorance is shocking.

After the UN practically armtwisted them? The US has donated $100m to Haiti . . . why do Africans think they NEED to donate more? Why didnt you all think of setting up private donations for Sudan too?

debosky:

You are concerned about their personal donations? Just how much do you know about people's personal donations that has led you to the ability to conclude on what everyone is doing?

I really dont care. Do as you pls.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

hmmm honest error. 2 million . . . 9 million whats the huge difference? Its about the same population as its neighbours who also suffer natural disasters AND SURVIVE!

Name ONE country of Haiti's size and resources that has been hit by 4 hurricanes and an earthquake in a short period.

The USA is the largest aid donor to Haiti . . . what other excuse can you come up with?

Is the level of aid similar? What are you comparing?

Go back and read up on Haiti's leadership problems . . . let me help you . . . go google "Haiti" and "corruption". Perhaps you dont even know much more than i do.

Your talk is empty - Haiti has been making small but steady growth since 2005 before it's most recent problems. No one claims they don't have issues with corruption, but your conclusions are not based in fact - Haiti has been slowly improving, and though it is nowhere near where it needs to be, that doesn't mean it should be condemned blandly without understanding of what is being done NOW to improve things.

funny you only remember the dying in far away Haiti. When the thousands were dying in sudan you were too busy talking about Eboue.

Right - and you know this how?   You are not making it about me oh. grin You just know I was talking about Eboue and didn't do anything in Sudan. This is the height of presumptiveness.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 9:05pm On Jan 15, 2010
davidylan:

It has nothing to do with how genuine or not the Haitian suffering is . . . i am more concerned with Africans who run away with empty emotionalism when their own house is burning. Its like me running around to put out the fire in your house when my own door is smoldering.

You're talking a whole lot of nonsense - Nigeria is the highest contributor to peace keeping in Sierra Leone, Liberia and even Sudan. We have housed more suffering people from Liberia than any West African Nation. That is being your brothers' keeper.

After the UN practically armtwisted them?

I guess the UN armtwisted the interventions in Sierra Leone and Liberia and the donations made by Nigerian civil servants during Apartheid - of course! The Nigerians who died to save lives in Sudan and the Congo as peace keeping are not being their brothers' keepers.

The US has donated $100m to Haiti . . . why do Africans think they NEED to donate more? Why didnt you all think of setting up private donations for Sudan too?

If you can help then you do - helping Haiti does not mean you can't help Sudan. If a means is made available to help, a pragmatist will take hold of that opportunity and not sit down soliloquizing like you are doing - your talk is cheap.

I really dont care. Do as you pls.

Of course you don't - the 'shame' caused you is so far more important. Please forgive the rest of us for shaming you. Of course you can sit and pass judgment while you know LITTLE or nothing about people's contributions to helping others and deem to know which contribution is worthy of praise and that which is useless.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 15, 2010
Kinda hard to keep up with the constant stream of vitriol but i shall do my best.

debosky:

Name ONE country of Haiti's size and resources that has been hit by 4 hurricanes and an earthquake in a short period.

Bermuda is probably one famous for hurricanes too.

debosky:

Your talk is empty - Haiti has been making small but steady growth since 2005 before it's most recent problems. No one claims they don't have issues with corruption, but your conclusions are not based in fact - Haiti has been slowly improving, and though it is nowhere near where it needs to be, that doesn't mean it should be condemned blandly without understanding of what is being done NOW to improve things.

Where? They were eating mud cakes with reported food riots as early as 2008. Read well bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Boris Johnson Turned Away From Polling Station After Forgetting ID / Pistorious Arrested For Shooting Girlfriend Dead / Policeman Quits After Obama Assassination Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.