Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? (36064 Views)

Supreme Court: Celebration In Imo As Uzodinma Is Declared Winner / IF BIAFRA REFERENDUM IS ACCEPT TO HOLD TODAY I'LL GO TO COURT & STOP IT! / Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared?? PART 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by AntiIPOOP(m): 6:04am On Jun 08, 2017
;D3
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Probz(m): 2:57am On Jun 09, 2017
SilentHaulers:

Faeces eating cannibals. Spits
You can't seriously make out your ewedu's better than our ora and nsala. Food's one place where you guys know you can't claim superiority over Igbos. Wind it in.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by oyatz(m): 3:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
You are very funny sir! You want to dictate to Biafra and dictate to THE ZOO at the same time on how to treat foreigners in their countries?
So you think Igbos will enjoy all the rights and privileges presently being enjoyed as other Nigerian citizens even when they have become Biafran citizens and that ECOWAS, international laws and the international communities will jump into the picture to enforce these?
Stop dreaming bro, its day break.

Billyonaire:

OP, Let me correct one impression. Biafra is not an Igbo thing, Biafra is beyond the Igbo construct which has been polluting the cyber-space. I am not Igbo, yet my father lost everything to that war. To me, Biafra is cry against marginalization, a cry against the inhumanity of man against fellow humans. Biafran represents something more than a country. It is a courage to say, 'No' to slavery.

The Answer to your question is NO. Nigeria can not deport Biafrans after secession, this is not 1970s. Biafrans resident in Nigeria and Nigerians residents in Biafra will be offered provisional citizenships with first right of refusal. Sane countries know the value of human resources. If Biafrans are to withdraw 100% from Nigeria. There will be chaos.

* Based on International Law on Migration of the ECOWAS 16-member countries, they will be required to get a Biafran Passport and Resident Permit in Nigeria. And the Nigerians living in Biafra will be required to do the same. Both Nigerians and Biafrans will be given at least 5 years to work out the terms of migration. Travels within the ECOWAS 16-member countries has been VISA-free and will remain so. What is required is resident permit.

* Based on International Migration laws, which I believe same will apply to Nigeria-Biafra relationship, if you own a Landed Property within the country, you are automatically qualified and have fight right of refusal on Nigerian Citizenship. I know many Biafrans will like to move away from Nigeria, and I am one of them, but will lease/rent out my houses in Nigeria and be paying tax to the Nigeria government while I go back to build Biafra. I will not hesitate to go back and help build Biafra to one of the best countries in the world.

* I will keep the last point to myself.

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by oyatz(m): 11:56am On Jun 10, 2017
This is one of the most intelligent contribution on this topic, devoid of the usual emotional tantrums by juvenile minds associated with most discussion on Nairaland with now monotonous shouting of afonja( the commonest term on nairaland), red mud erosion, Igbos, brown roof ,ndi Yoruba, Fulani, yorubastard and other derogatory terms.

4Play:
This thread hints at something but it misses a larger picture: in a hypothetical scenario where Biafra is actualised for Igbos it will fundamentally change the calculus for other Southern ethnic groups. Whether Igbos get to visit the rest of Nigeria in a post-Biafra world is a bit of a red herring.

Assume, for the sake of simplicity, that Nigeria has a population equally distributed among the 6 geo-political zones with the North having 50% of the population. A Biafra for Igbos could mean 1/6th of the Nigerian populace but, more importantly, 1/3rd of the Southern populace leaving Nigeria. This will radically skew political power to the advantage of Northern Nigeria (yes, not a cohesive region but exhibiting some degree of coordination by comparison to the South).

The North will constitute 3/5th and come close to (if not now but eventually with higher birth rates*) 2/3rds of the rest of Nigeria. The rest of Nigeria would be unquestionably a Northern and Muslim majority nation. In such a scenario, many of the Southern ethnic groups would not want to remain in Nigeria and this would accelerate further disintegration.

In reality, Biafra independence would cause absolute mayhem for everyone and to me would be impossible to execute (at least peacefully). It's clear that most intelligent people grasp this: indeed, anti-Biafra sentiments (amongst Igbos and non-Igbos) is driven not by any great sense that the Igbos or Nigeria will be a great loss but the apprehension that Biafra will precipitate chaos for the whole of the South.

*There is an argument that with higher birth rates, the "North" will be a more entrenched hegemony over time. Remember the saying, "demography is destiny."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Deeldorado: 2:28am On Jun 20, 2017
laudate:

Good question. cheesy Anyone who has the answers should please share them with us. The Nigerian govt will make a lot of money from entry visas, CERPAC, residents permit, work permit etc. annually, once the Biafrans decide to return to Nigeria.cool Don't forget that many of them still want to eat their cake and have it. They want to remain in Nigeria running their businesses, and at the same time they want to be citizens of their proposed newly-independent country.

What is the population of Biafrans among the Nd'Igbo serving in the federal govt agencies, institutions and parastatals? One needs to look at it. undecided They cannot continue working in sensitive positions and agencies, since they would no longer be citizens of Nigeria. They would have to relinquish those posts, for bona-fide Nigerians, don't you think so? shocked

Well, I'm not an advocate for a Biafran state but an advocate for a more meritocratic and inclusive system in Nigeria that promotes equal opportunities for all. If there is a Biafran Republic however, the scenario you painted will not occur because it will become the 17th member of ECOWAS whose treaty allows for the free movement of labour, capital and other factors of production across member states.

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by johnserek: 2:31am On Jun 20, 2017
Deported from Yoruba land sure thing
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by laudate: 4:50pm On Jun 20, 2017
Deeldorado:
Well, I'm not an advocate for a Biafran state but an advocate for a more meritocratic and inclusive system in Nigeria that promotes equal opportunities for all. If there is a Biafran Republic however, the scenario you painted will not occur because it will become the 17th member of ECOWAS whose treaty allows for the free movement of labour, capital and other factors of production across member states.

Go back and study the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement and read Article 4 with an analytical mind, before you respond. sad

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by johnserek: 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
laudate:

Go back and study the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement and read Article 4 with an analytical mind, before you respond. sad

You can only come and visit for 60 days you need permission to work and live in ecowas country

besides Yoruba is closer to ecowas and already our kiths are in togo and benin

so we will get membership
but biafra will be friends wiht cameroon as you are more alike
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by laudate: 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
johnserek:
You can only come and visit for 60 days you need permission to work and live in ecowas country

besides Yoruba is closer to ecowas and already our kiths are in togo and benin

so we will get membership but biafra will be friends wiht cameroon as you are more alike

Stop talking like a simpleton. Go back and read Article 4 of the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement of persons.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by johnserek: 5:11pm On Jun 20, 2017
laudate:

Stop talking like a simpleton. Go back and read Article 4 of the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement of persons.

what part of you cannot join ecowas is hard for you to accept and if you want to join Biafrans wont be let into the country in old nigeria
is it by force

you want to fight for a country your not even ready to live in

buaahahah

ghana must go under ecowas
next will be biafra must go

ibo want to use ecowas to retain right to stay in the very place they call zoo buahaha una must go back to una land

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by laudate: 5:52pm On Jun 20, 2017
johnserek:
what part of you cannot join ecowas is hard for you to accept and if you want to join Biafrans wont be let into the country in old nigeria
is it by force

you want to fight for a country your not even ready to live in

buaahahah

ghana must go under ecowas
next will be biafra must go

ibo want to use ecowas to retain right to stay in the very place they call zoo buahaha una must go back to una land

You need to rephrase your comments. I am not part of IPOB and I am not the slightest bit interested in Biafra. Please go through this entire thread again, and re-read all my comments with an open mind before you attempt to quote me the next time.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by oyatz(m): 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2017
Sir, forget this ECOWAS treaty, many people commenting on it don't even understand it.
1) The ECOWAS citizens don't need visa FOR VISIT, not permanent residency or work permit.
2) If ECOWAS treaty has solved all the travelling questions, why do ECOWAS member countries still have borders in between the various member countries?
3) The apparent domination of trading in Nigeria (which some wrongly interprete as control of the economy) by the Igbos is parts of the privileges conferred on them because they are Nigerians, the moment,they elect to be Biafrans, they become foreigners
4)No Nation will open its borders for foreigners to freely have a niche in economic aspects which the citizens can also do.
This is why there is no major market in other ECOWAS countries where Igbos dominate like Ladipo, Wise, Ariara or Alaba

laudate:

You need to rephrase your comments. I am not part of IPOB and I am not the slightest bit interested in Biafra. Please go through this entire thread again, and re-read all my comments with an open mind before you attempt to quote me the next time.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by laudate: 10:51pm On Jun 23, 2017
oyatz:
Sir, forget this ECOWAS treaty, many people commenting on it don't even understand it.
1) The ECOWAS citizens don't need visa FOR VISIT, not permanent residency or work permit.
2) If ECOWAS treaty has solved all the travelling questions, why do ECOWAS member countries still have borders in between the various member countries?
3) The apparent domination of trading in Nigeria (which some wrongly interprete as control of the economy) by the Igbos is parts of the privileges conferred on them because they are Nigerians, the moment,they elect to be Biafrans, they become foreigners
4)No Nation will open its borders for foreigners to freely have a niche in economic aspects which the citizens can also do.
This is why there is no major market in other ECOWAS countries where Igbos dominate like Ladipo, Wise, Ariara or Alaba
This is one of the reasons why I keep asking people to go back and read the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement. cheesy Article 2 & 3 says citizens of the ECOWAS Member states, have 90 days visa-free movement within the ECOWAS community states, right? But then Article 4 states clearly that such visa-free travel can still be witheld by member states.

PROTOCOL A/P.1/5/79 RELATING TO FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS, RESIDENCE AND ESTABLISHMENT ARTICLE 4 : Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 3 above, Member States shall reserve the right to refuse admission into their territory any Community citizen who comes within the category of inadmissible immigrants under its laws. http://documentation.ecowas.int/download/en/legal_documents/protocols/PROTOCOL%20RELATING%20TO%20%20FREE%20MOVEMENT%20OF%20PERSONS.pdf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Najokee: 11:42pm On Jun 23, 2017
laudate:

This is one of the reasons why I keep asking people to go back and read the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement. cheesy Article 2 & 3 says citizens of the ECOWAS Member states, have 90 days visa-free movement within the ECOWAS community states, right? But then Article 4 states clearly that such visa-free travel can still be witheld by member states.

I almost choked myself when I read his comment… ..
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Konquest: 1:49am On Jan 22, 2019
laudate:

Deportation does not destroy the credibility of anything. The UK and USA have been conducting deportations of foreigners from their soil for many years (especially Africans), but it has not affected their credibility one bit. It is this false confidence that you chaps hold on to, that amuses me. cheesy

In the past, Nigeria did not give in to your claims. Yet you chaps are cocksure that today they would sit down to discuss "Biafra/Nigeria' reltionship and the status of its citizens." Whosai?! shocked Assumption is the mother of all fvckups. undecided Even if they embark on such discussions, Nigeria would have the upper hand and such discussions could drag on for several years! shocked

Diplomatic ties are not built on assumptions, illusions, blackmail, subtle manipulations or force. Like I said before, "If you want to establish diplomatic relations with another country, and that nation refuses to recognise you or to agree to establish ties with your country, what will you do?" Are you going to hold a gun to their heads to do so?

Nigeria may not deport 3 million Biafrans in one fell swoop, but they could enact laws to make it difficult, (if not nearly impossible) for Biafrans to visit or settle and do business within their borders. There is something called ease of entry and exit. And every sovereign country holds the aces in this regard.

That is why today, Botswana citizens with a valid passport do not need a visa to visit the UK, while you and I as well as citizens from over 40 other African countries, do.
^^^^
^^^^
Wicked post... grin
Based on international
law and diplomacy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Yyeske(m): 3:30am On Jan 22, 2019
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 22, 2019
Atikulate 2019

Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by Uchek(m): 11:06am On Mar 10, 2022
You have no job

Rossikki:
Latest estimates put the number of Igbos resident outside their region at 7 to 10 million.

Some figures go as high as 15 million.

Is the SE prepared to welcome this number of "returnees", after they are declared illegal aliens in Nigeria, and promptly deported?
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by NLandIsHypocrit: 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2022
laudate:

Good question. cheesy Anyone who has the answers should please share them with us. The Nigerian govt will make a lot of money from entry visas, CERPAC, residents permit, work permit etc. annually, once the Biafrans decide to return to Nigeria.cool Don't forget that many of them still want to eat their cake and have it. They want to remain in Nigeria running their businesses, and at the same time they want to be citizens of their proposed newly-independent country.

What is the population of Biafrans among the Nd'Igbo serving in the federal govt agencies, institutions and parastatals? One needs to look at it. undecided They cannot continue working in sensitive positions and agencies, since they would no longer be citizens of Nigeria. They would have to relinquish those posts, for bona-fide Nigerians, don't you think so? shocked
The joke is actually on you people. The question is: will fear and hypocrisy allow you to support the Independence of Biafra? Because everyone knows that once the independence of Biafra is announced, automatically all the Biafrans working in Nigeria Govt, institutions, Organizations and parastatals will seize to be an embodiment of those institutions. But will fear of dying in hunger and being relegated to the dustbin in International circle let you? because we're your backbone but you think you can pretend that away by your arrogance and false claims.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by drnoel: 1:54pm On Mar 10, 2022
laudate:

Thinking in that direction is a pipe dream.
If such a scenario happens, they will offer those Igbos in other regions stay. Cos if there was mass migration, it could lead to fall of the economy of the region.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by orisa37: 2:17pm On Mar 10, 2022
Whoever declares that will be caught and hanged by the EARS.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by orisa37: 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2022
BIAFRA IS AN ILLEGALITY.
Re: Will Igbos Be Deported From Nigeria If Biafra Is Declared? by orisa37: 2:28pm On Mar 10, 2022
They will be exported to CREMEA.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

NBA Conference: People Can’t Give What They Don’t Have – Kachikwu / Buhari’s Friend Produced INEC Card Readers, APC Has ‘master Key’ – Fani- Kayode / Black Soot In Rivers State: RSGV Issues Press Release.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.