Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Would You Marry a Single Parent? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Marry a Single Parent? (24522 Views)

After Dating Her For Some Months, Never Knew She Was A SINGLE MOTHER. / 'At 25, No Guy Should Be In His Parent's House' / Most Romantic Way to Ask, "Will You Marry Me?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by BlackMamba(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2006
Hell No!!. I'm still weighing on marriage itself, not to talk of one with extra baggage.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by vadewoyin(f): 3:47am On Nov 23, 2006
I will if I love him there is really no big deal about this. It's all about love I beg
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by serubawon(m): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2006
I agree that loves counts a lot, but in relationships such as these, love might not be enough. It'll take an extra big dose of patience too.

Look at it this way. Your partner has a child, that he or she will definitely love more than you (that's very natural). Depending on the age of the child, you might be facing a lot of hostility or rebellion from the child. But one thing is certain, if you love your partner and are prepared to be extra patient, it usually works out very well in the end. Funny enough, relationships like this actually work out like fairy tales a lot of the time, if love and patience are in effect.

It's a lot harder for a man to accept a womans' kids than the other way around. I think women just have an in-built grace for it (maternal instincts and stuff). Someone like me, i honestly don't know if i could love another womans' kids as much as mine. That doesn't mean i can't, but i actually think of it and wonder if i can. It would be unfair of me to expect a woman to just accept my kids as her own wholeheartedly, without any hitches along the way.

However, if i love her that much and i am patient about it, i believe it could work. I'm a single parent and i know how protective i am over my kids. I can actually get a bit paranoid over them sometimes. But i believe with the right woman and the right approach to the situation, it'll definitely work out
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by chx: 1:11pm On Nov 23, 2006
There is nothing wrong in marrying a single parent so far there is love and understanding among the couples.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Abojupupa: 1:37pm On Nov 23, 2006
No way friends. It's just like asking if a virgin would marry married man who already has a wife or two,
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by bobotee(m): 6:56pm On Nov 23, 2006
Yes. There is nothing wrong about it. After ones are more careful and loving in relationships.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by SamMilla1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 23, 2006
its amazing how so many nigerians are still living in the dark. all the ladies here answered that they will go ahead and marry the guy with a kid.more than half the boys said no.lol.i know everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but this question should have one straight answer. YES, If you said no, answer this one, would you rather marry a wicked virgin instead of a nice and tested single parent. i personally have no problem with that .i just need a nice woman as a wife.i can only consider the age and character.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by BlackMamba(m): 10:00pm On Nov 23, 2006
SAM MILLA:

would you rather marry a wicked virgin instead of a nice and tested single parent. i personally have no problem with that .i just need a nice woman as a wife.i can only consider the age and character.

Numerous single girls are "nice and tested". I'm not seeking a virgin, actually virginity is a minus. I just don't want a woman with kids. I'll like to start on a fresh page. No baggages.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by deledele: 10:10pm On Nov 23, 2006
There is no problem with marrying a single parent. I believe that most single parents are more matured.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Drusilla(f): 9:11am On Nov 24, 2006
Euphoria,

Absolutely no balance what so ever but with 5 kids, what was going to be balanced there anyways?

I always say that I am outnumbered and outgunned. (2 of my boys can pat me on the head, my 10 year old girl is my height now, so she will be bigger than me).

I think though we would be altogether lost if I was running guys through my house, whom I had just met and did not know.

If I was dating somebody, I would do as the girl in this story did: keep that guy away from my kids until I felt secure with him.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Christino(m): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2006
You mean you wouldn't tell him from the onset that you have kids? Don't be surprised you'll end up loving someone who loves your kids so much they call him Dad, prolly someone you never admired.

A proverb says he who holds a child by the hand holds his mother by the heart. A childhood friend got married to her neighbour last year cos the guy was a father figure to her son. He takes him to school and when she's going out she leaves him with him, sometimes he sleeps off in his place and from there they started off to something good, meanwhile all the guys in the neighbourhood were obviously after her hips (she got them after the baby grin) and now they are cool together. The poor boy has no father (his father died even before he was born) and calls him uncle (the naija way) even before he started going out with his mum.

If I would be a step father, the mind frame of the kids would matter. Guys generally don;t appreciate their mum getting married to another man, of course until when they are about leaving the home also, just to make sure someone takes care of her, but GIRLS are more jealous when it comes to dad marrying another wife. Girls always girls!!!
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by BernieBoy(m): 2:17pm On Nov 24, 2006
Why wont i if the love is there? grin grin
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Rogo: 7:17pm On Dec 09, 2006
Would You Marry a Single Parent? yes, i will as far she is respect, caring, and God fearing. if there is anyone should contact me thru onorogo@hotmail.com or chat with me thru rogoman21@yahoo.com
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by desiree(f): 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2006
It is not the most natural thing for a girl to date a single dad, I think they are always sacred to commit again.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Eurphoria(f): 12:44am On Dec 10, 2006
I hear you Drusilla wink
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Motee(f): 5:55pm On Dec 11, 2006
I do not think they commit again but it is advisable that the parties involved should realise the circumstances on ground before they get married.

I had an experience few months ago of a guy who kept such thing from me.  He said he is afraid I might leave him if I know but I told him there is nothing stopping any lady leaving him even after the marriage because that is unfaithfulness and it is not fair on the lady.

I believe any relationship in which there is an existing issue should be known to both parties at the beginning of the relationship but the relationship does not worth continuity if there is no agreement of acceptance concerning it.

There is nothing wrong in marrying a single parent if the "single parent" in quote is still not married.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by whitelexi(m): 6:15pm On Dec 11, 2006
Me and single Parent?? Lai Lai!!! Where is the baby-father?
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by chizzy687(f): 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2006
me of course
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Motee(f): 9:31am On Dec 13, 2006
Chizzy687, how come you are the father when you are a female gender? grin
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by babe1(f): 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2006
If the person tells you the first time you meet, i don't see why not. But if it is kept a secret and they tell you later, then there might be a slight problem. But that is just my thought, it is still all up to the individual. I also think it is easy for men with kids to remarry than women, especially in cases where the kids are with their mother.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by NiteAngel(m): 12:54am On Feb 07, 2007
Casper, if you be virgin you fit contend otherwise angry

Isn't it funny how we can accept a woman whose had 3 boyfriends and had sex with all 3 but we can't accept a woman who may have had sex once and decided that instead of going for abortion she'll keep the child. The one without result (no be say result no dey, the result dey for body - in size or form) gets accolades but the one with evidence gets the title of "after one".

A lady may not tell you up front that she has a child, it has absolutely nothing to do with deception. You don't tell a lady how many ladies you've slept with on your first date, do you? She wouldn't even know if you'll like her for who she is, if you don't then she already knows you can't accept the child. If you get to like her then she begins to see the possibility of you accepting the child.

Whether one or five, its only an evidence that the one or five meeting points are on record grin

How many you do wey no get record?
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by JustGood(m): 2:26pm On Feb 07, 2007
i know everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but this question should have one straight answer. YES, If you said no, answer this one, would you rather marry a wicked virgin instead of a nice and tested single parent.

Na by force to marry after-one?
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by freelance(m): 2:21pm On Feb 19, 2007
What if, the person you love or that you are planning to get married to already has a child.

Would you still marry the person?

The main question is that would you marry a single parent?

Godspeed!!!
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by JustGood(m): 3:45pm On Feb 19, 2007
if I no get pikin, why I go want go marry person wey get pikin and entangle myself inside triangle?
abeg many single babes dey wey no be after-one.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Amiga(f): 4:43pm On Feb 19, 2007
Single parent or not I can marry whoever I love
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by nyabinghi(m): 9:53am On Mar 14, 2007
Their is no harm in marrying a single mother, i will have to find out how she got herself into the situation first. If its understandable then i won't hesitate to marry her. Also she must be young.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by TaniCarr(f): 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2007
I see alot of comments but only a few experiances. I am a single mother and it's never been a problem for me. On the contrary,men (nigerian) think I look too young to have a child and they awe at it. I've even had to turn some down because they were wanting to step into that "Dad" role too soon and I wasn't ready for it. I think that it is so hard to fine true love so when someone sees what they want they just go for it. I also think that how the single mother became single matters to some but not all because when I tell people that I had my son at the age of 16 just shy of my 17th birthday and I tell them that the father doesn't help me,they just think that I am too good of a person to be treated like that. Another thing is it depends on how desperate the girl acts.Nobody wants someone who is ashamed of there baby or trying to put it on the first man who walks by. It the women is cool and she looks like she can take care of the baby by her self regardless of the daddy being there or not and she is not looking for a man then alot of men will want her.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Ashbaby(f): 6:10am On Aug 19, 2007
I happen to like a guy who from the moment I knew and met him, said he had a child. I actually met him during his kid's first year barbeque party. And everyone knows that he has a kid and he talks about his kid all the time, it's not a taboo or anything. I'm surprised that I ran into this topic because I was questioning on the same.
However, I believe that it depends on the circumstance of the relationship. I would not for a moment begin to even consider marriage with someone who pops something he wants to tell me when we're long gone the friends stage. If anything, that would be the first thing I need to know. After all, what else could they be hiding from me if they won't tell me right off the hook that they are a single parent?
Talking of baggage, many ppl have mentioned that, we all have baggage, probably in different intensities, but I believe baggage, or the lack of it thereof, is how we handle it. For some, the baggage ties them down and everyday is a struggle and a blame game of some sort. And for others, they pick up the pieces and end up producing beauty out of the ashes of baggage and do wonderfully well. I look at that, too. I may have baggage, u may have baggage, but the difference between me and you is our individual attitudes towards our baggage.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 19, 2007
Yes, I would marry a single parent. The "virgin" thing isn't important to me, and I love kids. So, yes.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by BABEELOVE(f): 11:09am On Aug 19, 2007
Siena:

Yes, I would marry a single parent. The "virgin" thing isn't important to me, and I love kids. So, yes.

Once a gentleman, always a gentleman!  Hi Siena!

And why not? If the lady or the man is decent and the feeling is right, there should not be any problems at all!
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by ovadose(f): 11:59am On Aug 19, 2007
As long as everything else I desire is in place, i dont see why not.
Re: Would You Marry a Single Parent? by moondust(m): 1:16pm On Aug 19, 2007
not sure 'bout dat yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

“6 Ways A 'side Chic' Can Trick Her Man Into Spending For Her / Ifu Ennada: Why I Have Been Ruthless To Men / How Can I Make My Wife Happy Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.