Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Mushroom Cultivation Simplified - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Mushroom Cultivation Simplified (18279 Views)

After 7 Months Of Cultivation, Nigerian Soldier Harvests Her Rice (photos) / Detail Business Plan And Proposal For Cassava Farming, From Cultivation To...... / Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 2:10am On Jun 14, 2017
Mushroom cultivation is not prominent among Nigerian farmer , but it is cultivated in Ghana, kenya and many part of the world. Mushroom is not a green plant that has chlorophyll that it can use to synthesis its own food through photosynthesis. They are majorly saprophytes. They depend on decaying organic matter to produce there food.

Some advantages of cultivating mushroom include:

1. Mushroom is a bio-converter helping to convert any organic waste into useful food, you can use waste such as sawdust, paper, grass, straw, leaves as food for mushroom
2. Mushroom is rich in protein and vitamin, it can conveniently replace meat with cholesterol in food, it has satisfying taste in the mouth
3. Unlike green plant that take 90 day to yield you can start harvesting mushroom within 45 days of planting
4. Mushroom does not require plowing , harrowing, weeding and so many cultural practices, you dont even need fertilizer to produce mushroom
5. The cost of starting mushroom business is so small and affordable,

There are so many species of mushroom like Lion Maine, shiitake, Oyster mushroom. The most popular and most adaptive to our environment are Oyster and Shiitake.

Steps involve in Mushroom cultivation include
1. Sterilization
2, Inoculation or spawning
3. Colonization
4. Fruiting

Each of this step will be explained as we go on. Picture evidence will also be posted. Some common term also include

1. Substrate
2. Spawn
3. Fruit body

Some of the raw material you need for production include

1. Sawdust
2. Chalk
3. Polythene Bag
4. PVC pipe
5. Rubber Band
6. A little space
7.Humidifier

Professional in the business can also join us in the discussion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by rex444(m): 3:23am On Jun 14, 2017
Pls continue, am interested
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 1:49am On Jun 16, 2017
I will like to start with some basic instrument and their function

Humidifier

Mushroom require high humidity to grow so to grow them in house, one must create humid environment indoor. That is why you only see mushroom during the wet season, Mushroom require 90 percent humidity to bring out their fruit bodies, so you will need humidifier or in the alternative you can hang cloth in the fruit chamber and mist regularly, to create a humid environment.

Thermometer

You will also need Thermometer to monitor the various temperature of sterilization and temperature in the fruiting room. There are so many spores in the air, so if you dont sterilize your substrate at high temperature other mushroom can colonize your substrate. Sterilization kill off all other spore and contaminant and allow your own mushroom spawn to grow

2 Likes

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 2:41pm On Jun 18, 2017
Some Terminilogies In Mushroom production

To succeed in mushroom production, you need to get familiar with the common terminilogies, i need to lay this foundation before going to the production so you will not get confused

SUBSTRATE

Seeds and stem of green plant grow on the soil, mushroom grow on substrate since they are saprophytic in nature they grow on dead and decaying organic matter. So any organic matter that you want to grow your mushroom on is called substrate they may be Sawdust, Paper, maize cobs, they may be rice bran, rice husk any dead organic matter. depending on the type of mushroom you may need to compost it or it may not need further composting. Oyster mushroom will grow on any type of substrate.

SPAWN

Seed of green plant germinate when planted and stem cutting also germinate, in mushroom the planting material is called spawn. This are vegetatively part of mushroom grown on grain such as sorghum, rye, millet etc

INNOCULATION

Plant seed are planted directly into the soil and after some days they germinate. in Mushroom production, it is planted by innoculating the sterilized substrate using the spawn
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 2:01am On Jun 30, 2017
Mushroom Production Using waste paper

Material needed
A lot of paper
Water
Omo/Whao
Spawn
Nylon Bags
PVC pipe
Cotton wool
Rubber bands
Dettol

Material and method
We are using cold process so there is no need for heating anything.
Pour 10 liters of water in a bucket or basin
Add 100 gram of Omo, Whao or any detergent
Soak the paper inside
Shred the paper
Allow it to soak for 24 hours
Sieve out the water
Press the sieve out paper until the moisture content is 60 percent water must not be dripping out
Break spawn inside bottle with a disinfected metal
place the pressed paper in the nylon 2 inches and spread the spawn at the edge of the of the nylon
add another layer of paper
spread spawn
repeat this until the nylon is half full
place the one inch pvc pipe and tie with rubber band
Plug the mouth with cotton wool
Repeat the process until you exhaust the paper
Move the inoculated paper into a dark place
It will be fully colonized in 21 days
After full colonization you are to move the colonized paper into a fruiting chamber where the humidity is around 80 to 90 percent your bathroom will do with hanged cloth wet daily after ten days you will have mushroom coming out

1 Like

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 2:16am On Jun 30, 2017
Bottle of spawn grown inside coca cola bottle

Substrate undergoing colonization

Readying for fruiting room

End product paper turn mushroom

Spawn is available you can mail alben2002@gmailcom

3 Likes

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by yorlq94: 12:15am On Jul 01, 2017
OK good post i will like to try this how can i start this at home please you can message me on my number o to give a call please 08133474042 will be expecting you

1 Like

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 9:55am On Jul 04, 2017
You can easily follow all the highlited steps to produce mushroom. Converting used paper to edible mushroom indoor. If you need spawn mushroom seed mail me at alben2002@gmail.com
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 4:11pm On Jul 16, 2017
Let the fungi work for you. Convert used paper, saw dust and straw to make money employing fungi called Oyster mushroom to work it out while you go about other business. You can make some cool cash from mushroom read the process above it so simple and request for free ebook on Oyster Mushroom and also get your spawn from alben2002@gmail.com
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by karlxavier(m): 4:49pm On Jul 16, 2017
Please, kindly reply my mail as I sent you a mail.

1 Like

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2017
karlxavier:
Please, kindly reply my mail as I sent you a mail.

I av replied
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by kioboy(m): 5:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
contacting you through email makes it more unattractive to deal with you, please drop your mobile phone number for quicker access. I need to order spawn from you asap
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2017
kioboy:
contacting you through email makes it more unattractive to deal with you, please drop your mobile phone number for quicker access. I need to order spawn from you asap

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by hajlat2(m): 11:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
I also need mushroom spawn. 08037232201 Thanks
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 10:28am On Jul 17, 2017
@hajla
haul at:
I also need mushroom spawn. 08037232201 Thanks
@hajla
@hajlat2 kindly check your SMS
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 10:35am On Jul 17, 2017
Mushroom is so simple to grow. you can make a lot of money in a short time you don't need land, you don't weed anything and you already have all the input. request for free eBook and start farm very low budget
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by noblefrank31(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2017
Please I need the eBook. My email address is @ g m a i l . c o m. Thanks as you forward it to me.
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 7:26am On Jul 18, 2017
noblefrank31:
Please I need the eBook. My email address is i k p o k o l o f r a n c i s @ g m a i l . c o m. Thanks as you forward it to me.

Kindly check your email box
Get your Oyter mushroom and start enjoying mushroom
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 8:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
By popular demand watch out for how to cultivate mushroom with sawdust a step by step guide is coming very soon. Also request for your free ebook on mushroom production from alben2002@gmail.com. Vibrant Oyster mushroom spawn is also available
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by Eefosa1: 7:05am On Jul 19, 2017
PLEASE I NEED THE EBOOK MY EMAIL ADD Airforce2ng@yahoo.com
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by letuak(m): 9:59am On Jul 19, 2017
benzion72:
Mushroom is so simple to grow. you can make a lot of money in a short time you don't need land, you don't weed anything and you already have all the input. request for free eBook and start farm very low budget

Thanks for the info.
am interested, send the ebook to me
yusuffbdlltf61@gmail.com
also the spawn
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by coco77771: 11:13am On Jul 19, 2017
Thanks so much for your effort...please I need the mushroom spawn and if you don't mind send me the e-book @dedynamic77@gmail.com.
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by eddyline(m): 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2017
kindly send me the e book. edacheyusuf@gmail.com. thanks
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by noblefrank31(m): 8:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
I have received the eBook @OP. I am looking forward to start up immediately. Thanks!
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
I will send the ebook asap and detail of getting the spawn happy mushroom cultivation
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 11:54pm On Jul 19, 2017
WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR SPAWN

Because so many of us are new to Mushroom Production. Mushroom naturally propagate themselves by producing spore which are not visible to the naked eyes. There are millions of spore in the air. KIndly take the following step when handling your spawn

1. Do not open your spawn bottle until you are ready to innoculate to avoid contamination from other spore in the air
2. When you are ready to innoculate get dettlol and dilute it in water and spray the bottle and your hand with dettlol before you open it
3. Mushroom spawn should be use once, it is not something that can be reuse except you are working in aseptic enviroment

If you have any difficulty dont hesitate to reach me at alben2002@gmail.com or through my phone number .
Happy Mushroom farming

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 12:02am On Jul 20, 2017
I have sent out all the requested ebooks on Mushroom production. Do not forget to request for your spawn, Happy mushroom farming
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by Mcsenior(m): 1:24am On Jul 20, 2017
I'll be glad to have the ebook btcfirstclass@gmail.com
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by crunch222Aa: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
Can you send the evokes to me
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by crunch222Aa: 12:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
I need one of those your ebooks
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by babniyen(m): 1:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
Have been interested for a long time. Please send me the ebook at gizmobay@gmail.com.
Re: Mushroom Cultivation Simplified by benzion72(m): 12:31am On Jul 21, 2017
Producing Oyster Mushroom from Sawdust

Mushroom are fungi they grow on dead organic matter like tree, they help nature in the decomposition of tree trunk, we cant enjoy life without them imagine if things don’t rot all the cut tree will remain as they are forever.

To produce mushroom from Saw dust you need saw dust that is not fresh fresh sawdust have resin that will prevent decomposition. Don’t go directly to the dorma machine to collect your sawdust get sawdust that has being dumped for long. Fresh saw dust are white in colour it also depemd on the nature of the wood. Spent saw dsut range from colour brown to deep brown.
Collect as many as you like but weigh out 10kg of the saw dust get bricklayer sieve or you can improvise one with book haram net like the picture I will attached latter. Sieve all the unwanted stuff big particle wood splinter, this can tear your nylon
Add water and mix with a shovel like a bricklayer will mix concerete, sand and cement. Your own target is to make the saw dust wet and not drench

Fist Test
Hold a handful of the saw dust in your hand if water droplet come out fast then the water is too much, but if it drop may be once or twice that is alright.Your target is to have 60 percent water content.
Remember mushroom don’t need water to survive all the water they will need in their life time is supplied inside the sawdust, subsequent water is for maintaining high moisture content humidity. After getting the sawdust/ water ratio very well. You can add additive like 1kg of broiler starter to 10kg of the saw dust to enrich the substrate mix it evenly you can also add 0.1kg of Urea fertilizer also mixed evenly. Pack the saw dust in a nylon. The one I am using is called Ice block nylon it is sold N150 for 36 piece double the nylon because it will go through heat treatment.
Put a 1inch piece of PVC pipe on the nylon you will see it in the picture I will post latter. Use rubber band to hold the nylon and plug with cotton wool. Thereafter get old news paper to cover the mouth and tie with rubber band again refer to the picture attached.
Depending on your level of production you will need a 55 gallon drum that can take like 60bags of 1kg nylon at once, the drum also must have cover with protective lock you will see it in the attached picture
Place a tray inside the drum and use sack to line the drum and place the substrate inside the drum pour water to a quarter of the drum first ring ,there are three ring on a drum, set the substrate in the drum until it reach the top you can invert the last substrate upside down so the steam can reach everywhere.
Place the drum on fire make sure you drill a hole on the drum cover with nail to allow steam to come out and fire the drum continuously for two hours . after two hours allow the drum to cool down probably the second day depending on the time you started the work.
Move all the bags to the inoculation room. Spray disinfectant all through the room on your hand on the spawn bottle. Knock the spawn bottle on your hand to brake the lump of spawn or use disinfected long metal to break the spawn, you can pass the long metal e.g through fire before you insert it into your spawn bottle.
Please note that spawn is white in colour or light brown depend on age. Any green spawn is contaminated. Please do not bother to open such spawn bottle in your growing room.
Gently open the substrate and pour few grain of the spawn inside and quickly cover the span with the cotton wool and the paper that is inoculation. Perform inculation for all the mushroom
How much spawn do I need
You need 1bottle of spawn to inoculate10 bags of spawn, the more the spawn the quicker the colonization and the faster the fruiting,
Keep the substrate in a dark room. With adequate ventilation. Also guide against Rat, they love to feed on spawn, the odour is attractive so be ready to wage war against the rats.

Depending on the type of wood it may take up to three month for oyster to colonize sawdust, while paper are colonized in 30 days, and tissue paper in 17days. But the ease of colonization also influence the length of fruiting while sawdust can fruit for one month plus tissue paper can do two weeks and paper one month. All has it advantages.

After complete colonization that is the sawdust will be consumed by the mushroom, it will turn pure white. When this happen the mushroom substrate are moved to fruiting room where the temperature are regulated with cloths hanged on wall and mist with water two to three time daily to increase the humidity. You may need hygrometer to monitor the humidity

After 5 days mushroom pin will start showing and after five days they are ready for harvest. I will now provide the picture narration of all my talk

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Drip Irrigation For Vegies ACRE and HECTARE Kit... Talk to us / Feeding My Fishes With Maggots, Is There Any Side Effects?? / Dangote fertilizer Urea 46%+ is Available.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.