Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? (32767 Views)

Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
itsnotalie002:
Give yourself the opportunity to earn more money aside your usual earning..
See images below for more..
If you look well this bros did his NYSC before going into betting.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mekuxiani(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Okay...
Pls more advise ..

I am 24years old now..
go for your masters NYSC will be waiting for you
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by dharmieee(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
i graduated from the University of Nigeria , Nsukka april this year.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

There are two option i'm thinking of:

1.I am thinking of Skiping NYsC but afraid i might need it in future.

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

We all know Nysc is getting smart everyday

Pls my fellow Nairalander , i need your advice on these ..

Since school resumes September, 2018. You should start NYSC and still go for your masters when its time. You can always work you way around NYSC trust me
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by AfonjaBoston: 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2017
All these "my uncle said he will sponsor me" bull shit.the. man is just bluffing tell him the school needs your total fees of $40,000 upfront now your calls to him will start going to voice mail.
Na the package we dey use for Yankee to mal relatives vet off our back

My friend go NYSC, during NYSC plan your STUDY TRIP you will see full ride tuition waiver and assistanshiip your uncle go shock when he sees you in his backyard

4 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by AceGang(m): 6:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
If i be u..i go use one stone kill two birds..
Go for NYSC.. N also for ur masters abroad..
Nysc can be lobbied. Wen u are serving relate ur matter to top nysc official..( e go cost u small sha). Den travel for ur masters wen the time is due.. Ur family member can collect the nysc certificate after POP.. Guy na one/two months difference oo..no dull
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by dingbang(m): 6:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
Nickizoe:
buh is for her own self development nah... I remember you told me that.. .

to me, a degree isn't self development... Maybe because I don't see any effect of my degrees on myself. The only things I value about myself is just my ability to handle computing...

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Team16(m): 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2017
As a student presently in Canada, I'll advise you to start both process and run it concurrently. I am not wishing you bad or evil but it took me 2yrs to get an admission in Canada. Your case might be different because you have a sponsor and in that case you might pick any admission and come to Canada but I was applying for admission with Scholarship. However, Canadian admission is not automatic. Put in the period you have to wait for admission, receive your admission letter and apply for Visa. My own story, Admission took me 2yrs, Visa took 3 months. Then the window of denied visa or approved visa, whichever is your case. Like I said earlier, i am not wishing you bad but based on my experience I'll advise you while you apply for your admission, also enroll for your Nysc. Whichever comes first go for it. Never miss any opportunity in life.

So start applying for admissions immediately, get your admission, apply for your visa and get it. The worst case scenario you can differ your admission till next term. It is not an issue here. THE ISSUE HERE IS TO GET YOUR VISA. Every other thing is moi moi case.

4 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by DarkRebel69: 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2017
fratermathy:
Except you don't intend coming back to Nigeria to do any work, get your Nysc certificate first. You can never tell what the future portends.

You think too small!

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by bestspoke: 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
but its limited to some course

Bros....Begin processing your Masters at the same time run your NYSC...

There will be a way to runs the last two months of your service...YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY

Once you leave NYSC for the abroad na something else suppose dey your mind..not wasting another one year for NYSC...

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by segtak25: 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
Bills2307:
U graduated from the University of Nigeria , Nsukka april this year?? April dis yr, dat was wen d second semester just started. Unless u mean say, u tidy ur carry over finish by dat April. U might be lying tho to just know d opinion of all. But I suggest u go to canada for m.sc! Once again weh don sir for graduating in April (b.sc o)
Yabatech campus bro...
it is called School of technical education in affiliation with Unn
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by iamtardey: 6:07pm On Jun 15, 2017
non of the above
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2017
MrMcJay:
When I served in Lagos, I had lots of corper colleagues who schooled in various countries of the world coming back to Nigeria for their NYSC service. They obviously had seen a lot of things which you aren't yet aware of. I met one of my most wonderful friends when we were paired to wash pots in NYSC kitchen camp. As at when we met, she already had an LLM in International finance. I was also preparing for my Call to bar then.

Dimeji Bankole the Former Speaker of the House of Reps studied in the UK. When he was elected as Speaker, some people came up with a petition against him that he didn't serve in NYSC. It was his NYSC Cert that availed him.

Depends on your priorities. If you're gonna burn the NYSC bridge, better be damn sure you wouldn't need that bridge in future.

But he can still do it after the Master's na, NYSC doesn't have a fixed timeframe.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by lakola: 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

This shouldn't be a problem. Your uncle has said he willl sponsor you and that you should prepare for next year. When you apply to a school in Canada especially research based masters you need to secure a supervisor; you might be lucky at your first attempt and you might have to send to more than one proffessor to accept you as his or her student. You still have to apply to the graduate school for you to be accepted; this process is normally first reviewed first by the graduate school then the department then back to the graduate school before you are given admission. Why am I saying all this? It takes weeks if not months for you to achieve this. So my advice for you will be to put in for your NYSC and be processing your admission concurrently. With that you will be able to use one stone to kill two birds
PS: for the issue of your NYSC finishing by November and you having to resume fall(September) for your masters. Get close
To people during your Nysc and if you get lucky to have secured your visa before September you can talk to your LI that you have to go for your masters and that someone will help you collect your Certificate. Same as your PPA. They might be lenient to you. Act smartly

2 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by wegga(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2017
do both, you can always leave the nysc program halfway if you get the admission. They are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Wallade(m): 6:14pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hello!
Do the Masters Degree in Canada first then come for NYSC later.

Thank me later too
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by GoodFaith: 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Stay out of Ontario and BC
Your money will go far
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by ajiwo1: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2017
Forget nysc is just a waste of time. Move on for ur masters degree
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 15, 2017
You will always undergo NYSC anytime you return even if you are 40yrs. So long you are within age at graduation, coming back for NYSC should not be a problem. So, just go for your masters.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by babyfaceafrica: 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2017
To slap this OP dey hungry me
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by toye440: 6:22pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Okay...
Pls more advise ..

I am 24years old now..

that makes it more easier, u cant b disqualified from serving until wen u r 31 meaning u HV 6 yrs and Msc in Canada is not MSc in A.B.U. were ur first child might b writing a C.O. with his Dad. I believe at most u spend 2 yrs there, then u would b 26 by 28/ 29 u may already HV ur PhD depending how fast things work out for u, by 30 God willing u maybe d first PhD holder to serve.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I will encourage you to start the Graduate School application now and equally go for NYSC. So if you're lucky to be admitted and you're still observing what they call "NYSC", you can write the school to defer your admission for the next intake.

3 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by iChooseLove(m): 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2017
I understand your confusion.
I was faced with exactly the same situation as yours.
I decided to do my NYSC and gave up the opportunity to go to Canada. And then I felt bad after service because it took me almost a year to land a stable job in this country.

Now, I have plans to sponsor myself to do Master's program in the top institutions and I have a more focused idea on the kind of program that I want to do.

Why did I choose to stay? I always say that 'charity begins at home', so I wanted to test my success at home first before going out to acquire more skills which I'll still bring back home.

The choice is yours, do you want to plant your roots in Nigeria or in Canada? Think and pray about it, it ain't no easy choice but know that whichever one you choose, they'll be difficulties faced and you need to always be confident and reassure yourself that you made the right choice.

Think about the consequences of your choice. That will guide your decision better.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by paulodangelo(m): 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2017
Brother my sincerest opinion is do the service. It's just one freaking year. If your uncle has promised you, explain to him that you are going to be going for service this year and if he will be OK wit u going next year. Pending on your grade, and your uncle is footing the bill, e sure for u except for them officials u go meet for embassy.

If you go to Canada and come back,you still gonna do the service. It's a year man. Just get it over with and move to greater things (greater things being Canada)

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by IRobot7(m): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2017
Nysc is just a waste of one year. Within that one year, you will make the money you will make in three years in Nigeria if you go for a masters in Canada. But op, dem do you? Person wey go chose NYSC, e dey clear say em village jazz dey follow am
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Eomoso(f): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pls, I read a story of how Evans' one of his girlfriend led to his arrest, good job.
But that girl life is on danger if care is not taking.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by OrnamentOne: 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2017
My advice. Go for NYSC first but start processing ur Masters admission process for Canada. For now u haven't been offered admission there so what if u miss both (assuming u skipped NYSC), and failed to secure admission which you'll only get to know about next year (for Fall admission 2018?
So go for NYSC, if the admission comes, fine. You may not complete the NYSC if the school can't grant u to resume around Nov, or winter admission deferment till January 2019. That way u could even get both ur NYSC and still make it on time to Canada for ur Masters.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by IRobot7(m): 6:38pm On Jun 15, 2017
lakola:

This shouldn't be a problem. Your uncle has said he willl sponsor you and that you should prepare for next year. When you apply to a school in Canada especially research based masters you need to secure a supervisor; you might be lucky at your first attempt and you might have to send to more than one proffessor to accept you as his or her student. You still have to apply to the graduate school for you to be accepted; this process is normally first reviewed first by the graduate school then the department then back to the graduate school before you are given admission. Why am I saying all this? It takes weeks if not months for you to achieve this. So my advice for you will be to put in for your NYSC and be processing your admission concurrently. With that you will be able to use one stone to kill two birds
PS: for the issue of your NYSC finishing by November and you having to resume fall(September) for your masters. Get close
To people during your Nysc and if you get lucky to have secured your visa before September you can talk to your LI that you have to go for your masters and that someone will help you collect your Certificate. Same as your PPA. They might be lenient to you. Act smartly

Do not miss Canada because of Nysc, that is my advice to you. If you like, you can come back for service. The truth is that, you won't even want to come back because of the money you will be getting in Canada. Your NYSC certificate is useless there.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by 6esc: 6:39pm On Jun 15, 2017
Careers Advice:

Ask yourself some questions.
What will you be doing from now until Next Year August/September/October, 2018 when the Masters program starts?

Will you want to return back to Nigeria upon completion of your studies?

My own advice will be to enroll for the NYSC mobilization this year, and also start planning and processing your documents for your future study abroad. Take your service year seriously and enjoy it while it lasts, however note that you are not the first to travel out in between an NYSC year and then return to get your certificate of discharge.. Your certificate of discharge will be kept for you at their headquarters and you can pick it up whenever you return. However, you have to make sure your clearances for each month is done as this will make it easier. During the course of your service, you can always make arrangements and maybe obtain permission if necessary. Hope this helps. Best Wishes.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by 41lady(m): 6:48pm On Jun 15, 2017
Go for your master First, it is maximum of 2years after U can go for NYSC by 27years at most. I did same, now back for my PhD.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by brimoknight(m): 6:50pm On Jun 15, 2017
Masters! Then NYSC
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Eomoso(f): 6:51pm On Jun 15, 2017
Go for your NYSC and could as well apply for your master in Canada, it could click or it could not.
don't miss out your nysc, master degree can come after, good luck.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by MrMcJay(m): 6:51pm On Jun 15, 2017
SnowJay92:

But he can still do it after the Master's na, NYSC doesn't have a fixed timeframe.

Not when he is above 30.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emdee Tiamiyu Interview With Daddy Freeze After Been Exposed Online (VIDEO) / Accident Along Fadeyi Road - - Five Feared Dead / 23-year-old Unilag Graduate Dies In Fatal Accident, Few Days After His Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.