Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,810 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? (32762 Views)

Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by jakesbaba: 8:51pm On Jun 15, 2017
Go for your masters... Who nysc EPP
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by hamzom112(m): 8:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
You can still have both. Just work your posting to a remote place. Sort your li. .when is time to travel. You just brief him and disappear. Send someone to collect your discharge certificate. A friend of mine did it.

4 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by IstandWitBuhari: 9:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
i graduated from the University of Nigeria , Nsukka april this year.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

There are two option i'm thinking of:

1.I am thinking of Skiping NYsC but afraid i might need it in future.

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

We all know Nysc is getting smart everyday

Pls my fellow Nairalander , i need your advice on these ..

If this your story is true please I beg u in d name of God, go for ur Masters in Canada and come back for ur nysc later when u are done. Don't miss dis opportunity. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Lamexx(m): 9:15pm On Jun 15, 2017
You can still eat your cake and have it. Make I help you draw up a realistic schedule.
From now till Sept 2017: Go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre and learn from others.
By Sept 2017: Go for the NYSC. Use the period of the service year to start preparing for any standardized test you need to take (GRE and TOEFL). Don't disturb yourself with the distractions in Camp. Stay focused.
By Oct 2017: While serving, start processing your transcript, preparing your SOP, LORs. Don't ask me what SOP and LOR means. By the time you go through the thread above, you will know their meaning.
Early Nov 2017: Start searching for schools you plan to apply to.
By Nov-Dec 2017: Take the GRE and TOEFL.
On or before Dec 1st 2017: Send in your applications to the schools you want to attend.
From Jan - April 2018: Wait for admission decisions while doing service
By July 2018: With your admission, go for VISA interview for Fall 2018
By August 2018: Call you Zonal Inspector to one side and let him know you have two months left but you will let him have your allawee since you just need the certificate. Dash him the allawee and go for your Masters.
By Sept 2018: Send someone to go and collect your certificate while you continue studying at your school in Canada....shikena.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Mixty: 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Okay...
Pls more advise ..

I am 24years old now..
This is pretty straightforward na. You can go for MSc and then come back after your programme for your NYSC. Haven't you heard Nigerian graduates of foreign universities coming back for NYSC?

But after your masters, please come back for your NYSC. The mistake most people make is that they get a job immediately over there and forget NYSC all together.

In the future it might count against you. No. 1, you can't work in any corporate organisation in Nigeria, be it private or public. No. 2, it will count against you if you have any future political ambition.

So go for your masters now, but make sure you come back for your nysc. You can later travel back if you want.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by BlizzydoDo(f): 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2017
You could go for NYSC & settle things with your LI when you decide to travel. A family member or friend can collect your cert for you, people r doing it.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by toastedbread: 9:23pm On Jun 15, 2017
if you finish your MSc and get a job in CA, will you be bothered about your nysc? even at 50, you can do your youth service since you graduated before 30 (who nysc done even help).
why do you think some people will leave school in final year only to become a freshman in yankee?

a little story for you.
A guy finished from uniport and straightaway went to a uni in plymouth for advanced degree. upon graduation, he was offered a job with a firm there.
like play like play, he began his phd. today, he works and lives in england.

people are different, destinies are different but the chances of you making it in a society that functions well is higher when compared to ours.

set your compass well. God help you.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 15, 2017
MrMcJay:

Not when he is above 30.

If you grad before 30, u must serve o, even if you return back at 50, unless they've changed the rules.

2 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Markab: 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2017
@ayoola03
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by brunxy(m): 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2017
Bros do ur research properly...Universities in canada have winter, spring and fall admission program....U can still go to ur nysc and apply for fall 2019 which begins in January 2019...In that case it will be a win win affair....Best of Luck. smiley

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by waletosin: 9:36pm On Jun 15, 2017
Just start your nysc since its this year and clear it, moreover there are january admissions in canada too, not to deceive you admission isnt that easy except through an agent so that you wont forfeit both and mind you if dont do nysc now the stress of doing it later isnt easy like that oo.. my candid advise from experience

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Lamexx(m): 9:40pm On Jun 15, 2017
brunxy:
Bros do ur research properly...Universities in canada have winter, spring and fall admission program....U can still go to ur nysc and apply for fall 2019 which begins in January 2019...In that case it will be a win win affair....Best of Luck. smiley

I think what you mean @ the bolded part is Spring 2019. Spring 2019 = Jan 2019, Fall 2019 = Sept 2019. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by veraiyke(m): 9:42pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pidgin2:
Go for your NYSC, anyone telling you to abandon NYSC is an enemy of progress, does not understand the value of the programme, and is not someone you should be listening to.
the only good of nysc is the overrated cert. Plz kindly tell me the value of the programme that would make you advice one to forfeit a masters in Canada for it?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Winifred468(f): 9:50pm On Jun 15, 2017
Please
I'm just curious
But can't service(NYSC) be done after bagging a Masters degree?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Slimszy: 10:15pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hey... Go to Canada for your masters and come back for your nysc... Even if you are 50 years old, you will be allowed since you graduated before the age of 31
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Slimszy: 10:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
waletosin:
Just start your nysc since its this year and clear it, moreover there are january admissions in canada too, not to deceive you admission isnt that easy except through an agent so that you wont forfeit both and mind you if dont do nysc now the stress of doing it later isnt easy like that oo.. my candid advise from experience

Lol...how is nysc not easy?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Treshmike(m): 10:17pm On Jun 15, 2017
24yrs? You can go for ur MSC and serve later when you'll be 26/27yrs
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by bigerboy200: 10:18pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pidgin2:
Go for your NYSC, anyone telling you to abandon NYSC is an enemy of progress, does not understand the value of the programme, and is not someone you should be listening to.
How was NYSC brought progress to Nigeria? smh
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by bigerboy200: 10:23pm On Jun 15, 2017
Treshmike:
24yrs? You can go for ur MSC and serve later when you'll be 26/27yrs
...as long as one graduates before the age of 30, he or she can serve anytime..even at 40 years.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Ezegozie(m): 11:45pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

I laugh so hard at this your question.

If you know how hard it is to get MSc admission and Visa in Canada, you wouldn't have considered skipping NYSC for it because you might end up not getting the admission even after skipping the NYSC program.

And hope you have 2.1 in your Bsc, if not FORGET MSC IN Canada, and even with 2.1, be aware that Canada rejects even those with great 2.1 GP because it's highly competitive.

My advise, do your NYSC while you apply for MSc in Canada because you might not get it at last, even when you get it, you can meet your L.I and sought things out

By October next year 2018, you will remember this my advice

3 Likes

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by fineboy967: 12:10am On Jun 16, 2017
from my own view.... y not discuss with ur uncle to give u the money, then use it to invest in profitable business and run the business with ur NYSC program.... after than u can go for ur master's degree.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Drabrah(m): 12:59am On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

U can achieve both if u so desire.
1. Duration is enough 4 u to go for NYSC, esp since u jst wanna start d processing. If u meet up wt ur NYSC this yr, u'll probably av ur POP Sept or early to mid Oct nxt yr. Wen it's time to move, u can rapport wt ur LI or ZI (dat may cost u something though )
2. U can do ur NYSC anytime, not necessarily immediately u finish.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Lnxxxxx(m): 1:00am On Jun 16, 2017
Why not just do both. Apply for your masters during service. Get the admission and decide just before it's time to pay your first installment to lock your admission.

All these uncle business is not always certain, things may be good for him now but you don't know tomorrow.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by slowbreeze(f): 1:50am On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Listen up..Mobilize and go wit Nov batch of corpers..D truth is dat u need d discharge certificate;but opportunities like such r rare..Many are idle after service.Try to runs ur service to a " friendly" place where u are flexible and all.And when its august 2018 u go ahead wit ur masters plan..at least d service will almost be over and deres usually a terminal leave at d end of nysc;urs shuld be in October..Every thing in dis Nigeria can be fixed wit cash.Just get ur discharge cert.Don't let all dese badbelle ppl to tell u to forget d masters and face nysc alone..Dere are no jobs in naija.Multitask and do d both.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nyaknor(m): 2:25am On Jun 16, 2017
Pidgin2:
Enemy of progress when Masters in Canada is concern Na u gan gan be the real enemy of progress. NYSC ko.... Guy the program can still be done later go and pend it.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by fcacfc(m): 5:07am On Jun 16, 2017
Go for your master program

Nysc is there ,anyday anytym...
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by m6tem: 6:04am On Jun 16, 2017
See Kwession 000 bros, Apply all let the universe decide
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by xcellinking(m): 6:07am On Jun 16, 2017
Go get that Masters Bro... NYSC ain't running...
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 16, 2017
Differ your admission, finish your NYSC then alele to Canada
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by IAMEE: 6:52am On Jun 16, 2017
u can do both brother. Register for your NYSC, and wen it's time to travel for your masters, lias with ur LGI, it will only requires u settle him an one of your family member will go get it. In case ur thinking ur LGI will decline, u use ur ZI and CLO. Meanwhile u must mk sure u maintain a healthy relationship with all mentioned so as to see reasons with u when it's time.

If options above don't work out, ur terminal leave will begin end of September and u can travel and go to state secretariat to get ur certificate when ur bk. This is Naija, anything works

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boat Carrying 20 Passengers Capsizes In Lagos, Three Persons Confirmed Dead / Truck Crushes Lady Dead In Owerri; Mob Burns The Truck (Graphic Photos) / Emdee Tiamiyu Interview With Daddy Freeze After Been Exposed Online (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.