Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? (32768 Views)

Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by PBundles(m): 6:53pm On Jun 15, 2017
PBundles:
I dont see the issue most universities in the EU, US and Canada have Fall (Aug/Sept) and Winter (Jan/feb) intake. Do the NYSC and enrol for Winter, dont uinderstand the issue?

segtak25:
but its limited to some course

You are right, but thats usually the exception not the rule. Im a lecturer here at a business school, albeit PT ( evening school) and 90% of the courses have double intake per year. Those that dont, is a result of the students not being many anyway that enroll or its connected to some professional exam that is done say in May or so and they need a full academic year to prepare them for it.

All in all,he didnt say this about his course, so I doubt he is aware, I could be wrong, but then simply find a school that has the same course and does do winter intake. Its not like he is shopping for a tuition as you have a sponsor, hence I still dont get the issue.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by ephi321(f): 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2017
goshen26:

Not a big issue bro.
I have a friend that did d same during my nysc. He left for UK b4 our POP, he only carried my self (CDS president) and the LGI along, dunno if he settle her share, but I was the one helping him to cover. I collected his release letter from his school, I took it to the LGI office....

He started by being close to the LGI, he buys her things, so when the admission letter came out he showed it to her and she gave her consent....

The logic is do the two, if ur LGI does not cooperate u can forgo nysc certificate, but I'm sure he/she will....u never can tell u may have the two..

Serving in a remote area pays at times cos of this kinda thinga
When our certi came out, my friend parents came to collect it for him....

So do d two

This is how corruption starts tongue. Later we will be shouting govt is corrupt.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2017
OZAOEKPE:
grin see as devil they push nysc come your life when God they give you Canada

Abeg go Canada.

LWKMD!!!
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by ephi321(f): 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2017
geozone:
And get posted to borno?

grin grin
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Michealforever: 6:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
i graduated from the University of Nigeria , Nsukka april this year.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

There are two option i'm thinking of:

1.I am thinking of Skiping NYsC but afraid i might need it in future.

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

We all know Nysc is getting smart everyday

Pls my fellow Nairalander , i need your advice on these ..

I live in Atlanta. Go for your Masters. You won't regret it.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 15, 2017
MrMcJay:
When I served in Lagos, I had lots of corper colleagues who schooled in various countries of the world coming back to Nigeria for their NYSC service. They obviously had seen a lot of things which you aren't yet aware of. I met one of my most wonderful friends when we were paired to wash pots in NYSC kitchen camp. As at when we met, she already had an LLM in International finance. I was also preparing for my Call to bar then.

Dimeji Bankole the Former Speaker of the House of Reps studied in the UK. When he was elected as Speaker, some people came up with a petition against him that he didn't serve in NYSC. It was his NYSC Cert that availed him.

Depends on your priorities. If you're gonna burn the NYSC bridge, better be damn sure you wouldn't need that bridge in future.

NYSC is not cast in stone , I did mine two years after graduation
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Josmila(m): 6:59pm On Jun 15, 2017
I see you're a young man that needs guidance and I'm sure you've gotten a handful already, but I'll add my two cents nonetheless.

STRIKE THE IRON WHILE IT'S STILL HOT. Many people here including myself didn't get the opportunity you have dangling in your face now. Like I'll tell a younger one, further your education in Canada now, NYSC can wait. Chances are you might choose to stay back after your program and start a life there.

So, in essence, Canada it is! Pray your uncle stays alive and well, add that to your daily to-do list

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by darlenese(f): 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
I dnt even know where I kept my discharge cert
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mema900: 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2017
Become an entrepreneur instead. School is just a gentle way to become a poor man in future
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by luvme0702: 7:02pm On Jun 15, 2017
Canada of course! You can always do NYSC anytime at worst, you can take an exemption from NYSC if by the time you come back, your age is past the acceptable age. A couple of people I know did that. Pls don't miss the opportunity of going to a great country like Canada where jobs are readily available once you are done with your studies abeg.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by babooshka: 7:13pm On Jun 15, 2017
I also heard of ppl doing POP yl being abroad sef, it's all about settling and knowing ur way around nysc. I advise dat u don't miss out on d masters sha, if u don't feel like doing mago mago, u can always do it later.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by ucheicon(m): 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2017
Do as instructed by your uncle. Go for nysc. Use connections/clout to get your nysc certificate. Your concern is based on lack of exposure. Nysc certificate has been arranged for years. Nothing new.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by yommen: 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2017
Guy, you will do the two! Continue your nysc and start the admission process. Based on your calculation, nysc will be 3 months to go by the time you should resume your masters programme(God willing). While doing your nysc, make enough friends but dont tell them your plans yet. By that time, you suppose don penetrate ur fellow corpers to know reliable ones including your CLO. They can cover you for the remaining 3 months and collect your nysc certificate for you. And perradventure they are not able to collect the certificate for you, you can come back after your masters degree and observe nysc. That your uncle you see today, you may see no more ooo. And no body has promised you that admission will be given to you on your first try. be wise oo.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Olargee: 7:15pm On Jun 15, 2017
do your nysc and process your masters application and visa concurrently. you will be given a mandatory 3 weeks terminal leave at the end of your nysc. effectively you serve for 11 months.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by seyoops4u: 7:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

I think you're compounding the issue coming here to seek people's advise. You might be confused the more because there would be different opinions from different people.
Instead of this, seek the one who knows the end from the beginning..

Thanks...

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by yommen: 7:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
idolda:
You can do the two
my best comment of the day.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by ucheicon(m): 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2017
luvme0702:
Canada of course! You can always do NYSC anytime at worst, you can take an exemption from NYSC if by the time you come back, your age is past the acceptable age. A couple of people I know did that. Pls don't miss the opportunity of going to a great country like Canada where jobs are readily available once you are done with your studies abeg.
Once your age on graduation is within the range of those eligible to participate in the scheme,you must do it even if you are over the age limit when you choose to participate . Can't be waived based on current rules
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by MrMcJay(m): 7:25pm On Jun 15, 2017
neoapocalypse:

NYSC is not cast in stone , I did mine two years after graduation
How many years after you clocked 30 did you serve?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Arccangel(f): 7:28pm On Jun 15, 2017
Who NySC help
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by sonofthunder: 7:30pm On Jun 15, 2017
I can't say which to go for but if your NYSC is to end in October, it means you will pass out in September... you can do the maths on the dates to see if its still plausible to joggle both
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by geekybabe(f): 7:33pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pidgin2:
Go for your NYSC, anyone telling you to abandon NYSC is an enemy of progress, does not understand the value of the programme, and is not someone you should be listening to.

What kind of comment is this? What usefulness is NYSc? Pls stop typing rubbish if u cant contribute sensible things.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Tobbey(m): 7:39pm On Jun 15, 2017
See enh...

Go for your masters now
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by KELVIN086: 7:47pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Good day sir, i think this question was reserved for me , since i've just passsed through this predicament like a year before, guy i'm in the usa doing my masters and i wish i did not waste 1 year of my life doing nysc, the moment you come to the western world your orientation changes , you start thinking of had it been you knew you could have come here earlier. The earlier you come the better for you, there's alot to learn and alot to do to guarantee you success here. I'm in the us , but now i wished i was in canada self, the green card hustle is easier in canada. The earlier you start the hustle the better.
The only thing that would make me advice you to do your nysc, is if you intend to use that 1 year to develop your self , i mean like learn new technologies, like if ur in computer science that 1 year can be spent learning and mastering a new programming language, or if ur in engineering learn how to use some softwares and tools in your field professionally or gain 1 year of professional experience in your field. Those things will help you when you come over here. But if thats not the case baba forget it, if you want to do politics in the future and need a nysc certificate you can also ghost the nysc when you have made your money. But the truth is you will never come back to naija when you come here,the only time you'll go back to naija is when you want to build houses as investments cool
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Bae026: 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2017
[quote author=segtak25 post=57545920]

Hello, read and comprehend.

I have a friend, she did her BSc in Canada, she's presently serving her father's land(NYSC) here in Nigeria.

Maybe NYSC holds no waters, but it is still advisable to get it over with, or do they now carry NYSC over?

Secondly, all the jobs I have got since I graduated, I have never tendered any Certificate for clearance or what so ever.

So, the choice is always yours to choose from.

Canada could give you a job after MSc.

NYSC is just a formality here in Nigeria just to show say person graduate comot school.

My 7cents.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Fusion23: 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Do not Put your eggs in one basket , this is an easy scenario: Start the NYSC this is Nigeria even thou I heard NYSC is now tougher with bio-metric finger prints and co, you can still do 7 months NYSC and get your certificate.

If you leave for Canada its unlikely you will come back soon cos after spending over like 20k dollars like 6 million Naira equivalent you wont want to come back to 90k a month job .

You will be enticed by Canada thou its not super perfect but aside from infrastructure (good roads , 24/7 Electricity, Fast Internet ) they also have good post study visa from there u can get Permanent Residence and then Citizenship.

So u might be based in Canada for the next 7 years if you wish , plus God help you and you get married and have kids in Canada.

But then we should not rule out Nigeria you might want to come back home one day and start your business or run for political office.

Summary take it one step at a time..Go for Canada thou...
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by yahmohy27: 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2017
SUPERPACK:
Go for your MASTERS before your uncle changes his mind, You can then go for service any time you finish, NYSC is nt running away.
Gbam
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 15, 2017
geekybabe:

What kind of comment is this? What usefulness is NYSc? Pls stop typing rubbish if u cant contribute sensible things.

How did my comment affect your life or maybe you are one of the enemies of progress I talked about. If the OP doesn't have any ambition to remain in Nigeria then he can go ahead and study but if in future he may come back then doing his NYSC is compulsory, only short term thinkers will not understand this but those who see beyond the bridges of their nose will get it, ask Uncle Dino and Dimeji Bankole, even Buhari is regretting today
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by selebobo10: 8:03pm On Jun 15, 2017
Go ahead wit ur nysc and masters..because sinz ur masters is for 2018 and u re nysc dis nov u can get mobilized for service and by nxt year u wud just be a month short of ur pop nxt year and u can arrange for ur certificate to be collected on ur behalf...its a case of using one stone to kill to birds...i did it u can do it too...
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Toyde(m): 8:04pm On Jun 15, 2017
This is a very easy issue, start your NYSC here and continue processing the foreign admission. By September when the Canadian school resumes, you would be through at your PPA(which is the most important thing because of final clearance). You can just make arrangements for someone who would collect your discharge certificate for you(or talk to your coordinator), it's very possible. I did same for a friend back then. He got a job during NYSC and he had to leave for 4-months training. He only came to collect the certificate on passing out day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by lollmaolol(m): 8:07pm On Jun 15, 2017
fratermathy:

Are you advocating for ghost corper mode?

Na so e dey go......
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by statrboiTolu(m): 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
ignore both n go bk to sec sch!!! Sorry, what is the op again asking sef?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by oshorstan(f): 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Bro it's simple, after your orientation, redeploy back to your state & ghost.. very easy , so u can process your level.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emdee Tiamiyu Interview With Daddy Freeze After Been Exposed Online (VIDEO) / Accident Along Fadeyi Road - - Five Feared Dead / 23-year-old Unilag Graduate Dies In Fatal Accident, Few Days After His Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.