Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Depression Is Ruining My Life - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Depression Is Ruining My Life (5964 Views)

My Wife's Friend Tried To Seduce Me But The Whole Thing Is Ruining My Marriage. / My Ten Year Struggle With Sex Addiction Is Ruining me. / Help Help Facebook Is Ruining My Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 12:30am On Jun 25, 2017
sunnysunny69:
will check and get back to you.

Ok thanks
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 12:31am On Jun 25, 2017
Debbielam:

Hi a lot of people don't know this but if you grew up like this then you're probably bipolar (probably stage 1).....its something a lot of people don't really take into consideration in nigeria. ..
My friend has the same problem. ..He was on meds before but he stopped now ....He learnt to take control over his feelings. ...its quite complicated but easy. .are you the only child?
Ps- he was treated abroad

I have given it a thought. I know it's probably bipolar but the problem I have is that I don't want to be diagnosed of something like that here in this environment. Everybody will say am crazy, I have heard medical practitioners in Nigeria talk about these things. The stigmatization is enough to ruin a person.

I have been struggling with this all my life. I wanted to open up to my mum when I was around 6 or 7. I told her I was sad, she looked at me with disgust and told me never to say such. That's how I kept quiet and I have always kept to myself.
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 12:38am On Jun 25, 2017
Oyindidi:
Try and be happy. One love

Smiles. I was looking for it. It's gone smiley
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by poik(m): 12:48am On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:
I grew up like this.

I just get sad for nothing or stupid reasons. I have tried drugs and alcohol but I always come back to the same spot.

It has gotten worse now that the country is in a bad shape.

I have had suicidal thoughts countless times and am afraid one day I would yield.

My life is miserable. Nobody knows am dying inside, people just think am proud or being a snob.

I need someone to at least tell me if this is a common problem or how to go about it before it gets out of hand totally.

Sorry dear. Go spiritual. The amount of healing contained in a hearty, consistent supplication can never be over-emphasized.
Get someone to talk to. Make friends... even if its online friends. Share your world.

Hope this helps.
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Dicedpineapple(f): 12:51am On Jun 25, 2017
This evening i had lafta on my lips,bt i felt sad,empty,alone and unloved..I scrolled thru my contacts again and again,still,no1 to call.Instead of being depressed,i jes called 1 person,neva wanted to say anything tho,jes hy and bye.Bt along d line,i had to vent it all out,dropped them into the thrash can some provided..where i wantd to stop,i was urged on nd b4 i new wat was going on,i was lafn,yabbing,teasing and free,mayb not of my worries,but from being depressed..
So op,U nid to find out the cause of your worries,if u can,write dem down(i do dat sometimes,write and cancel it lyk a mad lady).Make a scale of preference for your worries,find your muse,something wen u tink of,u wanna go on..Think of it and go thru your worries,make light of them,smile more,open up more,come outta your comfort zone nd try as much as possible to neva let any1 get to you..Lastly,pray

2 Likes

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Riser: 1:49am On Jun 25, 2017
Yours might be a medical condition I recommend you see a psychologist ASAP

1 Like

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:
I grew up like this.

I just get sad for nothing or stupid reasons. I have tried drugs and alcohol but I always come back to the same spot.

I have had suicidal thoughts countless times and am afraid one day I would yield.

My life is miserable. Nobody knows am dying inside, people just think am proud or being a snob.

I need someone to at least tell me if this is a common problem or how to go about it before it gets out of hand totally.

I know that I should probably create a new moniker for this just like you have done, but Bleep it!

I'm like you. Maybe I'm a lot more screwed up. So, I can relate to your dilemma.

The first time I contemplated suicide, I was less than ten years old. I remember thinking that I would rather end it than live with the persistent melancholy. My life has always been a miserable rainy day no matter what went on. I've always been filled with an overwhelming sense of meaninglessness. For as long as I can remember. The frustrating thing is that, the feeling would settle on me like a heavy blanket of glum with no significant triggers. Sometimes, a trigger could be as small as someone not flushing the toilet or Nepa taking light. I would ask myself: is there anything at all on this earth worth holding on or out for, and the answer would always be 'no'. I couldn't find any justification for getting up everyday to live life.

I've gotten by, by escaping my life through novels, movies, music and writing. I get so invested that the make-believe matters more to me than reality itself. And in real life, I would let everything slide very close to the edge before attending to issues. I think the reason that I eventually work extra hard under the pressure, to ensure I do what's required, is because I instinctively choose fight over flight when it comes down to it. But even after realizing this, I cannot bring myself to care enough to stay the course. I cannot live without the possibility of escape. I find it too suffocating. For me, a death potion on my nightstand is like opening a window to let the air in.

The first time I actually attempted suicide I was fifteen. I didn't know enough about what would constitute a lethal dose of Valium, so I only ended up enjoying a long nap and none was ever the wiser. The next time I was twenty three. I did it with Valium again, after conscientiously stockpiling the pills over several months. But I ended up in a hospital with a tube down my throat, and a judgmental doctor speculating that I had tried to off myself over some boy. It was humiliating! I didn't mind that my parents did not want to talk about it afterwards. They decided to tread on eggshells around me.

Of course, all my relationships are bound to suffer for this. I would switch off my phone over the whole weekend (I cannot afford to stay incommunicado during the work days if I don't want to be sacked) because, on especially bad days, I'm instantly worn out when a call comes in. I just feel like screaming: leave me the Bleep alone! Sometimes I let it ring and prepare my excuses for when I eventually call back. But I'm always good natured when I get round to interacting with people and I'm forgiven for flaking out on them. Underlying this disorder is a self-absorbedness - a narcissistic element. I know I cannot commit to anyone. Having a child, for me, would be just as suffocating as having no diazepam on stand by. I think it would be irresponsible of me to ever go down that road because a responsibility like that would root me in place. And I'm a tumbleweed.

At first I thought I just had a really shitty temperament, but I have read a lot looking for answers. And I have come to terms with the fact that I'm clinically depressed. I know most doctors believe it cannot be treated or managed without antidepressants, but I do not want to be hooked on drugs. My thinking is that the doses would constantly need to be tweaked to maintain a certain level of 'happiness' and if I ever go off them I would be in an even deeper trough than I am in now. Psychotherapy is a worthy alternative.

But with this awareness, I have met people that have similar conditions and it has helped to know I'm not alone and can actually talk about it. Knowing helps me appreciate the triumph of making it through a day. And I've learned that escaping can be a valid coping mechanism. But not into a world of fiction. Doing stuff for other people also gives me a break from myself.

5 Likes

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:
I grew up like this.

My brother I wanted to create a topic on depression now before I saw yours. You are not alone. The worst part is that people think it's my pride or ego but it's not it. I'm depressed. Super depressed. I was just watching this medication in my room wondering if I could just down the whole 12 pills.
I stay indoors 24/7, my family is shit, no one cares, you are on your own. Prayer not working. Mom not working, bills piling up, extended family has no regard for me. It's just too much and I'm tired. So tired of it all.

2 Likes

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 25, 2017
MISSCONGENIALITY:
Do u have low self esteem?
Do people around u always say derogatory things to you.
Do u feel worthless at times.
Do u spend most of your time bothering about what your future will be like?u need to identify what cause depression and then u can do d out how to help yourself.
U need to appreciate yourselfbevenbif people around u do otherwise.
Your life is precious and u must not be like others. Look at the mirror and appreciate what u see.

I feel worthless. Hurtful words has been said to me by friends and family. I feel like this stupid creature that shouldn't have been given birth to. Nothing seems to be helping. I just feel empty and useless. And I don't want to feel this way. I just want acceptance if you can put it that way. I can't remember the last time I was happy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 10:15am On Jun 25, 2017
MsRoe:

I know that I should probably create a new moniker for this just like you have done, but Bleep it!

I'm like you. Maybe I'm a lot more screwed up. So, I can relate to your dilemma.

The first time I contemplated suicide, I was less than ten years old. I remember thinking that I would rather end it than live with the persistent melancholy. My life has always been a miserable rainy day no matter what went on. I've always been filled with an overwhelming sense of meaninglessness. For as long as I can remember. The frustrating thing is that, the feeling would settle on me like a heavy blanket of glum with no significant triggers. Sometimes, a trigger could be as small as someone not flushing the toilet or Nepa taking light. I would ask myself: is there anything at all on this earth worth holding on or out for, and the answer would always be 'no'. I couldn't find any justification for getting up everyday to live life.

I've gotten by, by escaping my life through novels, movies, music and writing. I get so invested that the make-believe matters more to me than reality itself. And in real life, I would let everything slide very close to the edge before attending to issues. I think the reason that I eventually work extra hard under the pressure, to ensure I do what's required, is because I instinctively choose fight over flight when it comes down to it. But even after realizing this, I cannot bring myself to care enough to stay the course. I cannot live without the possibility of escape. I find it too suffocating. For me, a death potion on my nightstand is like opening a window to let the air in.

The first time I actually attempted suicide I was fifteen. I didn't know enough about what would constitute a lethal dose of Valium, so I only ended up enjoying a long nap and none was ever the wiser. The next time I was twenty three. I did it with Valium again, after conscientiously stockpiling the pills over several months. But I ended up in a hospital with a tube down my throat, and a judgmental doctor speculating that I had tried to off myself over some boy. It was humiliating! I didn't mind that my parents did not want to talk about it afterwards. They decided to tread on eggshells around me.

Of course, all my relationships are bound to suffer for this. I would switch off my phone over the whole weekend (I cannot afford to stay incommunicado during the work days if I don't want to be sacked) because, on especially bad days, I'm instantly worn out when a call comes in. I just feel like screaming: leave me the Bleep alone! Sometimes I let it ring and prepare my excuses for when I eventually call back. But I'm always good natured when I get round to interacting with people and I'm forgiven for flaking out on them. Underlying this disorder is a self-absorbedness - a narcissistic element. I know I cannot commit to anyone. Having a child, for me, would be just as suffocating as having no diazepam on stand by. I think it would be irresponsible of me to ever go down that road because a responsibility like that would root me in place. And I'm a tumbleweed.

At first I thought I just had a really shitty temperament, but I have read a lot looking for answers. And I have come to terms with the fact that I'm clinically depressed. I know most doctors believe it cannot be treated or managed without antidepressants, but I do not want to be hooked on drugs. My thinking is that the doses would constantly need to be tweaked to maintain a certain level of 'happiness' and if I ever go off them I would be in an even deeper trough than I am in now. Psychotherapy is a worthy alternative.

But with this awareness, I have met people that have similar conditions and it has helped to know I'm not alone and can actually talk about it. Knowing helps me appreciate the triumph of making it through a day. And I've learned that escaping can be a valid coping mechanism. But not into a world of fiction. Doing stuff for other people also gives me a break from myself.

You just described me. Damn!
I will be back to write more.

1 Like

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 10:17am On Jun 25, 2017
Arondizuogu:

My brother I wanted to create a topic on depression now before I saw yours. You are not alone. The worst part is that people think it's my pride or ego but it's not it. I'm depressed. Super depressed. I was just watching this medication in my room wondering if I could just down the whole 12 pills.
I stay indoors 24/7, my family is shit, no one cares, you are on your own. Prayer not working. Mom not working, bills piling up, extended family has no regard for me. It's just too much and I'm tired. So tired of it all.

I don't know what to say. It feels like a kind of hell nobody around me understands.

1 Like

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2017
Arondizuogu:

I feel worthless. Hurtful words has been said to me by friends and family. I feel like this stupid creature that shouldn't have been given birth to. Nothing seems to be helping. I just feel empty and useless. And I don't want to feel this way. I just want acceptance if you can put it that way. I can't remember the last time I was happy.
the best way to be happy is to stop expecting people to give you happiness. The greater part of happiness comes from within. To be honest with you there are people you see everyday wearingacheerful faces but are actually going thru a lot of bad stuff. Don't take what people tell u very serious. Laugh when people tell u some hurtful things.
Don't even let any man born of a woman to make you feel worthless. Some people derive pleasure from that and u must not allow to take a upper hand. Try listening to micheal Bolton's "when I'm back on my feeta again'.
Make sure you don't take the horrible things people tell you serious. You really need to love yourself and stop expecting love from anyone except God who's your maker.

3 Likes

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Prec1ous(m): 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2017

OP, please read this post for the depressed ones.
I was once like that.

https://collegereap.com/before-you-think-of-giving-up-or-losing-faith-remember-this-to-stay-strong/

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by veraiyke(m): 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:
I grew up like this.

I do not know if you are a christian. If you are I recommend strongly the bible. Okay, first you have to sort out what makes you feel so most times, things you like and things you would love to be doing. Focus more on yourself than the others. Even if the world hates you, you should have a reason for which you want to live. All the best
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by naijajobx: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Oyindidi(f): 1:03pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:

Smiles. I was looking for it. It's gone smiley
Yeah, thought you saw it. It's too personal.
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2017
Oyindidi:
Yeah, thought you saw it. It's too personal.

I read everything. Wanted to read it again.
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Oyindidi(f): 1:16pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:

I read everything. Wanted to read it again.
okay, sorry about that. Hope you are okay now ?
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by touch1234: 1:29pm On Jun 25, 2017
Oyindidi:
okay, sorry about that. Hope you are okay now ?

Hanging in there
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Oyindidi(f): 1:34pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:

Hanging in there
Replied
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by mikeycharles(m): 1:36pm On Jun 25, 2017
Nairaland (SPACE BOOKERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA) cordially invites you to her 2-day seminar tagged "Booking of space with emerging technologies"
Venue:[url]www.nairaland.com/3881803/nairaland-guest-speaker-sarrki
[/url]
Guest speaker: Sarrki
Time: 2-4pm
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by chikk(f): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2017
Op, you need peace. Deep, inner peace which only Christ can give. Pls, find Christ. He is all you need.
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Boole3(m): 3:10pm On Jun 25, 2017
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Boole3(m): 3:11pm On Jun 25, 2017
I'm depressed too... need help before I do something crazy

Boole3:
I'm having suicidal thoughts because of my poor grades in school.
I'm so tired.. i read for more than 8hours daily but I still fail... 200l sitting on a 1.8 cgpa with loads of carryover courses. I feel like a complete failure.
At the rate at which I'm having suicidal thoughts these days I'm scared that one day I might just do it ... I need your help I don't want to kill myself.
I cant even think straight anymore

1 Like

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by ShinyJay22(m): 4:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
The rate at which depression is on the increase is quite alarming. It's not as if I haven't had my fair share of this problem but at the same time we all need to be strong for one another, remember a tree does not make a forest on its own. Like in my case I believe the major cause of depression is loneliness (lack of close and mature minded friends).
I know the highest population of depression ridding individuals are mainly the introverts so loneliness is a factor that can never be ruled out,but nonetheless there are solutions to this problems that may not necessarily end it but may help to reduce the feeling.
On a final note to all those contemplating suicide please note that;situations & problems are just temporary(even if they give the impression of being permanent) but you were designed to live above them because you are man and as a human being you encompass both the physical and spiritual...Why because God made it that way. So never give up ,never give in,live a more open and less enclosed life. Live selfless. Conquer your introverted life style by making new friends and never give any one the chance to determine the kind of mood you exhibit. No one is perfect so also are you (in case you have such a standard of expectation).Like I've learnt in life, there is no such thing as a perfect system(except God's deeds).Ciao

1 Like

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by sunnysunny69(m): 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:

Ok thanks
citalopram
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Sanchez01: 5:41pm On Jun 25, 2017
phoenixthefirst:
Depression usually has causes. One of the causes being a loss or lack of a job. You know why you are depressed but if you don't know, try to find it. By finding it, you should work on it. But I want you to know that whatever the cause is, things should be better and you need to be alive to see this. So, I urge you: stay safe. Stay alive. As I said, things should be better.

A lot of people have been, at one time or the other, depressed, yet many of them are alive today and have seen that committing suicide would have been a mistake.

In conclusion, stay safe. Stay alive.
Not really. Depression occurs when one's mood hits the lowest of lows and often times, they are not necessarily tied to things as you claimed.

I suffered a major depression in 2010. It was horrible. I cried for over four hours and thought life had no meaning. Interestingly, things were perfect for me so I couldn't just tell what the cause. I cried so bad that I called a couple of friends to come over. They were shocked because I'd be one the last persons they could have sworn to see in that state.

I saw a psychologist then but it didn't help because we could not arrive at the root cause. I was only lucky I had friends who never respected my privacy and space and stayed with me for a whole week, else, the worst could have happened.

Thw best way out of it is to keep friends, I mean face-to-face, real life friends and not those formed on social media. So long you have them, you won't last in the hole of depression.

2 Likes

Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by Debbielam(f): 5:51pm On Jun 25, 2017
sad
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by phoenixthefirst(m): 7:20pm On Jun 25, 2017
Sanchez01:

Not really. Depression occurs when one's mood hits the lowest of lows and often times, they are not necessarily tied to things as you claimed.

I suffered a major depression in 2010. It was horrible. I cried for over four hours and thought life had no meaning. Interestingly, things were perfect for me so I couldn't just tell what the cause. I cried so bad that I called a couple of friends to come over. They were shocked because I'd be one the last persons they could have sworn to see in that state.

I saw a psychologist then but it didn't help because we could not arrive at the root cause. I was only lucky I had friends who never respected my privacy and space and stayed with me for a whole week, else, the worst could have happened.

Thw best way out of it is to keep friends, I mean face-to-face, real life friends and not those formed on social media. So long you have them, you won't last in the hole of depression.
There's no single cause of depression. It can occur for a variety of reasons and it has many different triggers.
For some people, an upsetting or stressful life event, such as bereavement, divorce, illness, redundancy and job or money worries, can be the cause.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depression/Pages/Causes.aspx
Re: Depression Is Ruining My Life by mzhorlah(f): 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2017
touch1234:
I grew up like this.

The solution to your problem is not Drug, and Alcohol neither is it suicide. if you were born that way, it might be as a result of how you were brought up. mix up with people, joke alot, say positive things to yourself, have positive thoughts as well. this should help a little

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Outburst To My Extremely Beautiful 'fiancee'; Now She Wants Out! / Lady's Nude Birthday Photoshoot Earns Her Criticisms / .

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.