Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi (38206 Views)

Governor Umahi Decongesting Traffic Jam Along Enugu/Abakaliki Boundary (Photos) / Is This Why Governor Umahi Has Been Crying Over New Minimum Wage? / "Restructuring My Foot! To Hell With Restructuring", Governor Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by shekauvsbuhari: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2017
ScotsReferendum:

Technological education that creates industrial wealth

That is Kanu's plan
its not mere talk. What is he doing or producing now to convince us that he is not like buhari that came to power without a master plan of how to run de country and it took him whooping six months to appoint some bunch of de most incompetent ministers in de history of nigeria. Biafra has no defined and agreed territorial map even.

3 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ScotsReferendum: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2017
Sanchez01:

Why not share your blueprint as to how you would develop Ebonyi in 8 years, instead of claiming to understand how to erect 'Technological Education'.

My idea is meant for Biafrans and not anti Biafrans.

There are other forums to discuss it
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by DONGOYARO1: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2017
ScotsReferendum:

You share similar brain and reasoning with the governor
we Igbos are the real parasite in Nigeria - Gov Umahi

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by achi4u(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2017
nonsobaba:
I am still not pleased with my governor for allowing him to head the southeast governor's forum. You can now see why the southeast cannot have a bluebrint for integrated development. An almajiri with igbo name is running things.
Lekwa anuofia nke a! U have talked too much in this thread and it's a high time I tamed you.
I see you getting BP over Ebonyi and Wawa issues, why not go and hang ur self?
I pray u hang ur self soonest so that Ebonyi children will be very happy over your death.
You are not even from Anambra.
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by danidee10(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2017
wristbangle:

Why are u awake at 3.24a.m for F sake? undecided

But I stand to be corrected, is restructuring not something of regional scope where each states in a region will harness it's resources to feed themselves?

As for secession, I oppose it but judging from the frustration, anger and hunger in the country, one may have a rethink it's better to form a nation of its own. Still the masses especially the IPOB are naive to see that their frustration should be expressed to their corrupt leaders, same for arewa and oduduwa youths instead we are fighting each other while elites merry in wealth.

Mehn!!!!! Finally someone who understands. Our leaders are the one's who put us in this Mess. I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE IS SO BLIND TO THIS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by Timbuktuo: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2017
ephi123:

That resource definitely needs to dry up for us to make progress in this country, since unfortunately we have never had leaders with any common sense in this country. See the state of poverty in the country despite the wealth in it. Is that normal?

The interesting thing is even if it doesn't dry up, it will soon be made redundant in the near future. A lot of countries are already putting in place long term strategic plans for electric vehicles, LPG cars, LNG trucks etc.

It is not the resource that needs to dry up, it is the mindset of the average Nigerian that needs to change.

These clueless leaders remain there because the populace have been divided and cannot form a strong union to oust incompetence. Imagine cries of "he's our brother when Jonathan was under fire for increasing fuel price in 2012". There were protests all over the country except the SE/SS because he's their brother. Yet, those who were at the forefront of installing him in 2010 were from the SW.

When the south of Nigeria can put up a united front and actively support technocrats like Pat Utomi this country will move forward.

Look at Ekiti, Fayose was sharing bread and garri and he got the governor's office. Does it sound like the people of Ekiti are interested in policy? All over the country, the story is the same.

The political class can misappropriate funds with impunity because the people have left substance and are pursuing shadows.

7 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by wristbangle: 9:20am On Jun 29, 2017
ephi123:

Resources is not Nigeria's problem. It is the people, the systems and the leadership. Even with the cotton, oil palm, and leader - if the underlying issues are not addressed, we will still be back to point zero.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nigeria will be catching up on the technological advancements anytime soon. Not when we are still electing an almost 80-year old man to lead the country.

Before oil discovery, Nigeria was among top 10 strongest economies in the world. You can Google it for strongest economies in the world at early 70's.

The bolded contribute majorly to our problem. I agree with you on this.

About the age stuff, Yes it is through but even if we elect someone of 50years with same mind set, he will do the same.

All I want irrespective of where he hails from, should carry every region along in its strategic plans to move the nation forward.

The frustration and anger in the land is terrible
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ScotsReferendum: 9:20am On Jun 29, 2017
shekauvsbuhari:
its not mere talk. What is he doing or producing now to convince us that he is not like buhari that came to power without a master plan of how to run de country and it took him whooping six months to appoint some bunch of de most incompetent ministers in de history of nigeria. Biafra has no defined and agreed territorial map even.

You are not a Biafran

Why should he discuss the idea with you
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by femolii: 9:21am On Jun 29, 2017
Freemancipation:

Exactly I have been telling them that but they keep pretending.
Y u never migrate,
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ScotsReferendum: 9:21am On Jun 29, 2017
achi4u:
Lekwa anuofia nke a! U have talked too much in this thread and it's a high time I tamed you.
I see you getting BP over Ebonyi and Wawa issues, why not go and hang ur self?
I pray u hang ur self soonest so that Ebonyi children will be very happy over your death.
You are not even from Anambra.

He is an Afonja
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ephi123(f): 9:22am On Jun 29, 2017
Timbuktuo:

It is not the resource that needs to dry up, it is the mindset of the average Nigerian that needs to change.

These clueless leaders remain there because the populace have been divided and cannot form a strong union to oust incompetence. Imagine cries of "he's our brother when Jonathan was under fire for increasing fuel price in 2012". There were protest all over the country except the SE/SS because he's their brother. Yet, those who were atvtge forefront of installing him in 2010 were from the SW.

When the south of Nigeria can put up a united front and actively support technocrats like Pat Utomi this country will move forward.

Look at Ekiti, Fayose was sharing bread and garri and he got the governor's office. Does it sound like the people of Ekiti are interested in policy? All over the country, the story is the same.

The political class can misappropriate funds with impunity because the people have left substance and are pursuing shadows.

But the same people did not protest when petrol and diesel went up in the last 2 years.

That aside, the resources need to dry up so people can face a harsh stark reality that would reset their thinking. That will start from the top. When the country has no free resource pouring money into the coffers, no one will need to tell them before they start applying creativity to generate income.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ozoemenaca: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2017
You guys are easily deceived, this may not have come Umehi, Our dis tractors can frame this, Ebonyi of all the States, that has lots of mineral resources, and has fatile land for agriculture. When we get to the bridge we would cross it.
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by JudasIsCucumber: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2017
ODVanguard:

Quit excusing mediocrity and laziness please. And you have absolutely no right to speak for other states abeg. Osun has Cocoa (which is way more valuable than all the combined agricultural produce in Ebonyi) among others, untapped gold, human and other resources that can be better harnessed and used to develop the state under a better structured system and the state governor has come out in support of restructuring. Ditto Ekiti. Kwara's IGR was better than any SE state's last year and it will only get better this year. You can and should only speak for your state or region abeg. No more room for laziness. You should and must only eat from your sweat.

No food for lazy man.

My bro I completely agree with u am from SE but the ebonyi state governor is stupid, they should all get their lazy assess to work and generate revenue, if he can't do the job there are soo many others who can do it, this will equally reduce corruption somehow becos most of these rougues will be afraid to contest for elective post, becos they know say they will suffer, yes some States will suffer for a while but within a short time they will pick up, necessity is the mother of invention. I prefer a restructured Nigeria. But if these elite wants to continue the status quo, am afraid I have to support secession. Is only a mad country that will do the same thing for 57yrs and expect different result.

5 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by Abagworo(m): 9:24am On Jun 29, 2017
wristbangle:

Before oil discovery, Nigeria was among top 10 strongest economies in the world. You can Google it for strongest economies in the world at early 70's.

About the age stuff, Yes it is through but even if we elect someone of 50years with same mind set, he will do the same.

All I want irrespective of where he hails from, should carry every region along in its strategic plans to move the nation forward.

You are funny. Nigeria was never one of the strongest economies of the world and the 70s you wrote about was the era of oil boom which landed us into this 50 years of monotonous economy. What we need is diversification which restructuring will help.

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by achi4u(m): 9:24am On Jun 29, 2017
nonsobaba:
Igbo has grade. Anambra is worlds apart from other igbos. Since you are from abakaliki, you can be forgiven to think i am not igbo.
You only wanted to soil Anambra name here with other Igbos but people already know you as agamuefu, a good for nothing son of a biitch... Ara pukwa gi there. Onyeoshi!

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by jumobi1(m): 9:25am On Jun 29, 2017
Anyways restructuring won't happen overnight. There will be a transitional phase. Non-viable states should be collapsed back into their original states.

Current IGR isn't the only factor we should look at. A lot of these states IGR would increase because currently, the FG is usurping income from certain natural resources. Don't forget that necessity is the mother of invention.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ephi123(f): 9:25am On Jun 29, 2017
wristbangle:

I fear to say that Nigeria was much better under the British. The useless military leaders we've had since then have only taken the country backwards.

Age does matter, because there is a peak and a person who has passed that peak has nothing to offer. Technology is the way to go and an 80-year old person cannot process that.

@bolded
The day we get that right, is the beginning of greater things for Nigeria. Unfortunately, that is not the case right now.

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ODVanguard: 9:27am On Jun 29, 2017
Enuguboy4nsk:

you guys have short sight..I am talking of the long term.After all this same Ebonyi generated 11billion naira in 2015 when things where better and what happened to them in 2016

so u don't know how much kwara will generate this year

you get my point??

Guy, don't be saying what you don't know, OK?? FYI, Kwara has already genarated N6.6-billion naira in the first quarter of this year. Be guided in your utterances.

http://irs.kw.gov.ng/2017/06/kw-irs-generates-n6-6bn-igr-in-the-first-quarter-of-2017/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by Timbuktuo: 9:28am On Jun 29, 2017
ephi123:

But the same people did not protest when petrol and diesel went up in the last 2 years.

That aside, the resources need to dry up so people can face a harsh stark reality that would reset their thinking. That will start from the top. When the country has no free resource pouring money into the coffers, no one will need to tell them before they start applying creativity to generate income.

Have you forgotten how the 2012 protest ended? With NLC betraying the struggle? Remeber how NLC leadership were cursed back then? Yet it was the same NLC that attempted to lead another struggle, which Nigerians felt was just another avenue for them to enrich themselves. Who trusts them? How many protests did Oshiomole lead against Obasanjo, about three or four with massive compliance, because Oshiomole was trusted. The current leadership have no credibility. Obasanjo na from SS/SE?

I agree with the creativity part, and perhaps you're right after all with the drying up part. Nigeria, right now, is too parochial.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by greatermax77(m): 9:28am On Jun 29, 2017
Umahi, Before one week, will deny this statement.
He may be nursing a selfish agend hence this statement
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by JudasIsCucumber: 9:30am On Jun 29, 2017
ODVanguard:

Quit excusing mediocrity and laziness please. And you have absolutely no right to speak for other states abeg. Osun has Cocoa (which is way more valuable than all the combined agricultural produce in Ebonyi) among others, untapped gold, human and other resources that can be better harnessed and used to develop the state under a better structured system and the state governor has come out in support of restructuring. Ditto Ekiti. Kwara's IGR was better than any SE state's last year and it will only get better this year. You can and should only speak for your state or region abeg. No more room for laziness. You should and must only eat from your sweat.

No food for lazy man.

Umahi is a.complete ode. He should go and learn how Rockefeller and co built America

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by nonsobaba: 9:30am On Jun 29, 2017
Wawa and abakaliki group of igbos have bee disgracing the larger igbo race for a very long time. Just see the nonsense oozing out of one of them allowed to have a little authority.

3 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by femolii: 9:31am On Jun 29, 2017
ScotsReferendum:

And poverty will increase as population declines in Lagos
That is not ur problem focus on ur region u hear ignorant man.

3 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by abdulwastecx(m): 9:36am On Jun 29, 2017
9jakohai:
Me , I am not in support of restructuring....but not because it is a bad idea...or a wrong idea. (I also don't like secession, but one of the reasons why I gave up on the 2014 conference was because they said secession is off the agenda. )

Infact, the governor of Ebonyi state has given good reasons why Nigeria cannot restructure.....overdependence on Abuja and by extension Niger Delta Oil for their daily needs...plus a poor IGR base.

(Mind you...that shows that Ebonyi governors are not doing well at all for their state.If Fashola could increase Lagos' IGR massively in his time in office as Lagos state governor...why can't Ebonyi...or Osun for that matter. Governors are Nigeria's problem).

But the main reason why I don't back this restructuring thing is

1.People who talk of restructuring promptly start talking of returning to regions.....the idea being that the region would benefit from the resources it produces. That is going to lead to Niger Delta being used to benefit the old Eastern region....and that runs counter to the current resource control agitation.(You see why many Minorites are avoiding Biafra...even though it might techincally benefit them better than Nigeria...because no Biafran agitaitonist has clearly explained how they will handle the resource control issue in Biafra. You can abuse me now...but it is the truth. No Biafra...until Kanu and IPOB address that question).

2.You think that if we return to regions....every region will suddenly develop its resources like that? It took decades for the North to become a groundnut and cotton producing region. By the time of Independence...the SOuth West and South East thad taken 80 years to become the major producers of cocoa and palm oil they were. What I am saying is...restructuring basically amounts to one part of the country telling others to go and starve for the next several decades...while they enjoy oil money (I am from the SOuth South by the way). That is the real reason why the Hausas are not backing restructuring...because they know that it would leave them seriously broke.....and that in turn could create crisis that would affect the rest of the country.

That is why you cannot have restructuring without sorting out the resources quesiton...the way new states back in the day used to sort out the dividing up of assets. To not do that is sucidal and unrealistic.

3.And anyway....Nigeria's economic system is seriously faulty.

You know...the reason, why we do not have light and water 24/7, is because it does not impact seriously on our ability to make money for the treasury. Developed countries have light and water in abundance because if they don't .....their ability to make money for their treasury would be impacted.

This one in Nigeria where we sell groundnut, oil, cocoa, cassava, palm oil, yams, etc...and share the money...when we should be using what we have to make manufactured goods that COULD potentially earn us MUCH MORE MONEY...and even be MUCH MORE BENEFICIAL to our politicians and elites. But most Nigerians are short sighted....they see money as something to be shared...not something to be made, and dobuled. And until we become self sufficent, and less resource dependent...restructuring, even peaceful secession...would be impossible. Yes...Czechoslovakia split peacefully.....because both parts were already dependent on manufacturing, and innovation.Nigeria were we are dependent on sharing money...what is going to happen to the North when it is cut off from Niger Delta oil? How about Igboland? South West too would suffer. North Central too as well.

My issue with Nigerians is....better focus on making the current structure better. Vote wisely, harass your leaders, deal with the corrupt, and make sure your people do what you voted them for. Restructuring , as it is now....won't save you.

I am in support of restructuring because the current system can never work. The current system breed laziness, it creates an opportunist elite that sits idle and makes politics a do or die affair.

States like Bayelsa will lose over 70% of their oil wealth to the federal government because most of this oil is offshore and any resources offshore will belong to the government and if whatever money the state government gets from the onshore oil is not used properly by the state government the citizen of the state will question them.

Oil only contribute 10% to Nigeria GDP but fund over 90% of government revenue because they government is too lazy to have a strong tax system in place. All these will change with a restructured system, state will be forced to look for alternatives source of income like tax, solid minerals extraction etc.

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by buchilino(m): 9:36am On Jun 29, 2017
Eastfield1:
Sarrki it's 3:24 a.m for fvck sake
UR WASTING UR TIME. ONCE DICKHEAD, ALWAYS A DICKHEAD.
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by femolii: 9:36am On Jun 29, 2017
ScotsReferendum:

While the wealth that Lagos state bragged about will vanish into thin air and poverty walks around in broad day light
where do u drop ur sense ? Osu man
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by Bathoveecee(m): 9:37am On Jun 29, 2017
Umahi is a tout grin >: grin grin
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by ephi123(f): 9:37am On Jun 29, 2017
Timbuktuo:

Have you forgotten how the 2012 protest ended? With NLC betraying the struggle? Remeber how NLC leadership were cursed back then? Yet it was the same NLC that attempted to lead another struggle, which Nigerians felt was just another avenue for them to enrich themselves. Who trusts them? How many protests did Oshiomole lead against Obasanjo, about three or four with massive compliance, because Oshiomole was trusted. The current leadership have no credibility. Obasanjo na from SS/SE?

I agree with the creativity part, and perhaps you're right after all with the drying up part. Nigeria, right now, is too parochial.

Yeah, you're absolutely right.

For now, it's siddon look to see the direction we take.
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by danidee10(m): 9:37am On Jun 29, 2017
ScotsReferendum:

While the wealth that Lagos state bragged about will vanish into thin air and poverty walks around in broad day light

So people will just run away and leave their business's in Lagos because of 'restructuring "

Oga use sense naaaa abeg

5 Likes

Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by omoharry(f): 9:38am On Jun 29, 2017
Blizzy9ja:
This issue will continue to give u sleepless night... Its either the country is restructured or it secede... Lazy ass governors like Umahi and his other northern counterpart should braze up for the coming wind
well said..if he know he does not have the mental capacity to think outside the box to generate income to Ebonyi state then he should vacate that seat...we don't need leaders that are only there to collect handout from from the Federal govt but cannot add anything the development of their state.Selfish leaders..instead of him to think about the future of Eboyin he is thinking about what is in forhim and his cronies.
Re: We Don’t Want Restructuring - Governor Umahi by Sanchez01: 9:40am On Jun 29, 2017
reptile1:

^^^^ Truly u suck @ economics no doubt. if I may ask, which foreign investor invested in Japan after world war 2? which foreign investor invested in South Korea after the Korean war? which foreign investor invested in Germany after world war 1 and 2? now its apparently obvious to any discernible mind u ain't different from the said governor and other blacks of ur kind, that u all think in one direction. keep waiting for investors before developing ur own technology and create needed wealth.
Another one... Now I would have to do with more than this. To answer your question;

Post-war reconstruction
Japan was thoroughly beaten and totally disgusted with war. They put in their constitution to effectively outlaw war and put all their energies in economy. US liked such a distraction as that would mean Japan would not become a major threat and also be its big trading partner in Asia, especially after China fell to the Communists in 1949. Gen. Douglas MacArthur was especially instrumental in this transformation. After the Korean war in 1950s and rise of cold war, Japan became US' principal ally in the Pacific - bringing more aid, more technology and more trade.

While the war left the infrastructure broken, it left a highly educated and motivated populace who could now rebuild the cities with the state of the art 20th century technology instead of saddled with old infrastructure.

Japanese government and its Ministry of International Trade and Industry on its part did a fantastic job pushing their corporations to dominate world trade. With rising education, falling fertility, Japan enjoyed a massive demographic dividend - with parents totally focusing on careers unimpeded by children [or so they thought that time.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Japan-become-a-developed-nation

Several things to deduce from the above;
1. Japan channeled its strength towards its economy after the war (TRADE)
2. China's fall favoured Japan greatly. (OPPORTUNITY)
3. Korea's war with the U.S. also acted as a catalyst to Japan's greatness as the later shifted grounds and made Japan its ally, principally influencing and granting access via the Pacific, 'bringing more aid, more technology and more trade'. (FOREIGN AID+TRADE ROUTE ACCESS)
4. Japan is not landocked, rather an island.

Add their literacy leve to the case on ground and tell me why it would not be a country to be reckoned with. Japan did not just become a technology powerhouse overnight contrary to the views of many. You all think birthing technology is as easy shouting at the top of your lungs. Hardly would you see a developed country without support. As a matter of fact, I doubt you would see one.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

2019: Go And Settle With Your God, Not Me; Atiku Tells Obasanjo / Akeredolu Reacts To Igangan Killings: One Too Many / Kuje Prison Attack: Another Boko Haram Commander Arrested In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.