Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution (39039 Views)

BREAKING: OPC Announces New Leader, Oshibote Oodua / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Northern Youths Order Igbo Out Of Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Yeah you are right.

He was part of the refugees fleeing from the killing machines from Fouta Jallon.
The problem with Abdul Kadri, Alimi's son was that he was cajoled when he went to learn Quranic knowledge under the Sultanate at the North. He was a half Yoruba(his mother) and half Mahlian. This was an easy ride for him because of his Yoruba link. And from this, Afonja was rebelled against. And it done on the refugee citizens that fled Oyo that a warrior like Afonja couldn't be killed as he was highly dreaded but he was killed . Thereafter, Ilorin was temporary lost until other Yoruba in Ilorin discovered, it was not true that God sent Alimi's descendants because JUJU(VOODO) they condemn, was used against ILORIN and they were defeated in 1840.That was the end of them. Oyo was collecting tributes from them after that because some of their major warriors captured by combination of Ibadan warriors and other Yorubas. In Ilorin Sufism is very highly practice among the Ilorin people(using of tray for divination). As far as Ilorin is concerned, it is Yoruba land . And Nigeria is what gave the Alimi's descendants an edge due to British intervention and partition of Africa by Europeans. However, we don't hate them but they must follow the rules and regulations of Yoruba land. Let me critically emphasise here, that there is no iota of doubt that few Ilorin apologists exist here and Alimi's descendants. It is noteworthy that we all can live in peace and harmony with ourselves but the anomalies need be corrected in Ilorin.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedeee2: 12:41pm On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:

Yeah I can remember the invitation of OPC to Warri about 5years ago. Ganiyu Adams was in Warri ad the Ijaws vehemently kicked against it.

OPCNairaland, is an active member of OPC and he gave the perspective that led to it then.

Itshekiris know that they are better protected being with Yorubas than even being in ND Republic, where they can easily be exterminated by their enemies.
But th itshekiris habe given themselves a different identity. Many of them dont like Yorubas like that.
I do not support them joining us. Let them stay on their own. They are not different from edos. Those guys dont like Yorubas like that.
I reject them

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by boluwatife66(m): 12:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
opening this thread and seeing how intelligent discuss can be done am sure will send a message to others who thinks their problem is yoruba. but I add that a lot of us need to do more research rather than comment out of share emotions.I Okun Yoruba from Kogi state and a lot of us have our roots from either Oyo or ile ife. we also need to know that the fact that the itshekiris speaks a dialect doesn't make someone from Ogun or ekiti more Yoruba than him. I have loved with them and I know this as a fact every Yoruba group speak one dialect or another for example we have the the ijebu akoko the egba and others.

6 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedeee2: 12:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

Yoruba land big ooooooo. I heard the Togo side of the land is very beautiful but make dem forget those sides first until the main region is formed. If it succeeds, success they say has many friends. grin
You are very right
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by SuperS1Panther: 12:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
deedeedeee2:

But th itshekiris habe given themselves a different identity. Many of them dont like Yorubas like that.
I do not support them joining us. Let them stay on their own. They are not different from edos. Those guys dont like Yorubas like that.
I reject them
I am not a proponent of them joining us.

They should please be on their own jejely.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:45pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

I heard about their operations in Warri during the era of Goodluck Jonathan but as at now OPC seems to be weak in the west.

Now, I can't confirm.
They are not weak but gone underground. Some were raising eyebrows against Chief Gani Adams leadership. And wanting him to step down. From my calculation Chief Gani Adams may step down as OPC leader.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Dalek(m): 12:49pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

I agree with your first and second paragraph but the last paragraph is what brought an end to the Oyo empire. The quest for economic growth over military strength.

I think if we are dreaming of becoming a world power, we must invest in the military else we will be vulnerable to our neighbors on the west, East and North.

Besides, what can bring a unified Omoluabi together is common enemy. Without this forget unity in Omoluabi land.

Therefore, I will advise we fight for all the lands in Nigeria, especially those who have identified with the state first, then after we are stable, move to recover the ones from Benin and Togo (if they want oooo).

emphasis on military will only cause problems for us, if Nigeria breaks we will get some military installation all we need do is maintain them. who we at war with?? is it North dat want to attack us or biafra??
i also dnt agree with recover Togo or Benin. how can we recover wat we never owned. dey may have Yoruba links but dey were never Nigerians, we can't attack and forcibly attach them to our new republic.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedeee2: 12:50pm On Jul 03, 2017
jiangchu:

we have the resources to fight on all front. we have the legal luminnaires that can help win border dispute. and we can be building a robust economy on stable ground. YES it is possible.
You cant do that in benin republic and togo for now. They are under french government. Unless you want to declare war against france. We have to grow economically before we can try that.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Olu317(m): 12:52pm On Jul 03, 2017
boluwatife66:
opening this thread and seeing how intelligent discuss can be done am sure will send a message to others who thinks their problem is yoruba. but I add that a lot of us need to do more research rather than comment out of share emotions.I Okun Yoruba from Kogi state and a lot of us have our roots from either Oyo or ile ife. we also need to know that the fact that the itshekiris speaks a dialect doesn't make someone from Ogun or ekiti more Yoruba than him. I have loved with them and I know this as a fact every Yoruba group speak one dialect or another for example we have the the ijebu akoko the egba and others.
No Yoruba hate itsekiri but itsekri always playing the pampered “pikin" because most of them don't see reason to align with their Yoruba relatives until they have problems with their neighbors. And that's when they realize, they have bigger brothers. Suffice to say that, ignorance of not knowing one identity is the major problem with some itsekiri because of their Location. You are very correct about dialects. They don't even speak Ilaje as much they speak EKITI and this what all of us have within our different locality

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deedeedeee2: 12:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
I am not a proponent of them joining us.
They should please be on their own jejely.
I support that
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by givbitcoin: 12:56pm On Jul 03, 2017
https://nnn.com.ng/nigerianews/tribune/restructuring-northern-leaders-are-enemies-of-nigeria-afenifere/

Now some people have suddenly found their voice and can talk without minding the consequences. I'll keep these links for references when the times is appropriate
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 1:00pm On Jul 03, 2017
omohayek:

Sorry, but here I think you are completely wrong, and frankly, your method would be the surest possible way to lose any hope of getting widespread support for a Yoruba-majority state. I want to be part of an Athens, not a Sparta, and I'm sure most Yoruba people would feel the same way.

Emphasizing militarism over economic growth is not only bad for economic development, it is also bad in the long-run for military strength, as you can't have a strong military without a strong economy to back it - just ask the Soviet Union. Planes, tanks, submarines, aircraft carriers and the like all require either a strong domestic industrial base, or the wealth to buy the best from abroad (and hope that your suppliers don't someday decide to stop selling to you).

As for your belief that it requires an external wartime enemy to unify Yoruba people, I can only say that I don't share your pessimistic view of the matter, and think people need to be given a positive reason to want a nation of their own, rather than simply being motivated by fear and hate - which is the model currently being followed by a certain Nigerian movement I won't dignify with a mention. If a movement can't give its intended audience good reasons to love the state its advocating for, then such a movement simply doesn't deserve to succeed.

Of course, it should be a secret agenda and not for the consumption of the public.

It's expected we have diverse opinions as people of different backgrounds but the beauty is when all these opinions are open for debates, dialogues and critical analyses.

This why we have the Parliament to give opinions and discuss various issues. This is one of the reasons Awolowo was respected because he's open to debate.

However, I read alot of Yoruba history books and from what I read I deduced that one strongest Empires in West Africa came as a result of having common enemy.

Are we going to have a common enemy if after having a Nation?

Do you need military strength to survive?

Those are the questions we must frankly ask ourselves based on what is on ground.

Besides, what brought Oyo empire down was the quest for only economic growth without realizing that it was their military strength that allowed them had control over trades along those roots. Consider ooooooo.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2017
Olu317:
They are not weak but gone underground. Some were raising eyebrows against Chief Gani Adams leadership. And wanting him to step down. From my calculation Chief Gani Adams may step down as OPC leader.

I see.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by omohayek: 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

Of course, it should be a secret agenda and not for the consumption of the public.

It's expected we have diverse opinions as people of different backgrounds but the beauty is when all these opinions are open for debates, dialogues and critical analyses.

This why we have the Parliament to give opinions and discuss various issues. This is one of the reasons Awolowo was respected because he's open to debate.

However, I read alot of Yoruba history books and from what I read I deduced that one strongest Empires in West Africa came as a result of having common enemy.

Are we have a common enemy if after having a Nation?

Do you need military strength to survive?

Those are the questions we must frankly ask ourselves based on what is on ground.

Besides, what brought Oyo empire down was the quest for only economic growth without realizing that it was their military strength that allowed them had control over trades along those roots. Consider ooooooo.
To begin with, I don't agree that what brought Oyo down was the pursuit of economic growth over military strength. It was brought down by internal division, starting with Afonja's breakaway to form an independent state in Ilorin, which gave a green light to many other groups to break away.

The second thing I will mention is that if you're intent on drawing lessons from history, you need to look at historical examples from other parts of the world, not just the one example of Oyo. Both Germany and Japan tried to follow your suggested strategy between 1870-1945, and the end result in both cases was utter disaster - bombed out cities, millions dead, most of the national wealth gone up in flames, and a much smaller landmass than when they started their last conflicts. Why would you expect the result to be any better in a world which has much less tolerance for that sort of behavior than it used to, before the creation of the United Nations and the International Court of Justice?

Anyone who thinks militarism is something to be advocated cannot have much knowledge of what war looks like up close: have you ever seen any dead bodies, with heads blown apart, or men hacked away at the torso by artillery shells? Do you know what the smell of dead bodies decomposing is like, or what it is to see the burnt bodies of mothers holding their infants? Have you ever seen masses of teenage boys and old men lined up and shot in the back of the head for being "suspected guerillas"? If you can say "Yes" to such questions, then I can take your militarist stance a bit more seriously. War is a horrible, ugly business, never to be advocated lightly.

6 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 1:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
history2902:

Edo and Delta are part of the same familly which excludes you. We will never join you, deal with it. Itsekeri are Edo not yoruba. I know you want to claim them not because you love them but because you want their oil wealth. The worse thing that would happen to my Itsekeri brothers would be them joining the "yoruba" into a make-shift country. The first thing the "yorubas" would try to do is a genocide to wipe the itsekeri out of their land Warri and claim their oil.

He said:”I came in from Ile-Ife to this place and the way the Ooni of Ife received me and my entourage confirmed the fact that we are from the same heritage. As a matter of fact, I had the honour to first receive and bless his new wife. And when I got to the palace of Oba of Lagos this morning, the reception too was like home coming.

“The Oba of Lagos left his throne and sat with me and this is just a confirmation that we are brothers and must not be separated. I am happy sitting with the Governor as a member of the same family. My appeal is that we are part of you not minding the geographical distance. There are lots of Itsekiri in Lagos and there are lots of Yoruba in Warri. I want such relationship to continue and pray that we should sustain it.”

https://www.google.com.ng/url?url=/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/olu-warri-itsekiri-heritage-meets-yoruba-royalty/amp/&rct=j&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiFn-e7i-3UAhXBKFAKHZp2CiwQFggaMAA&q=Olu+of+Warri+said+we+are+Yoruba&usg=AFQjCNFsg5ZPcrIxxQKGBHDugGygZZCkAw
Here are the quotes from Olu of Warri. grin

4 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by laudate: 1:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
shukuokukobambi:
The clown is just jealous and bitter that a thread on here can flow so seamlessly and in a cerebral fashion without fights even with the minorities posting and querying the position of some posters. If na some, the posts by laudate and efewestern would have elicited serious and aggressive negative reactions cheesy

That is the sophistication of the Yoruba that riles haters. The ability to tolerate opposing views without getting angry or overtly emotional. That's why the Mid-west could vote to leave the west, despite Enahoro and Rewane's protestations, and the members of the regional assembly gave them a standing ovation at the last sitting. Yoruba support freedom. Freedom of religion, thought, political views etc

Edumare bless us all here and everywhere

Amin!! cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 1:33pm On Jul 03, 2017
omohayek:

To begin with, I don't agree that what brought Oyo down was the pursuit of economic growth over military strength. It was brought down by internal division, starting with Afonja's breakaway to form an independent state in Ilorin, which gave a green light to many other groups to break away.

The second thing I will mention is that if you're intent on drawing lessons from history, you need to look at historical examples from other parts of the world, not just the one example of Oyo. Both Germany and Japan tried to follow your suggested strategy between 1870-1945, and the end result in both cases was utter disaster - bombed out cities, millions dead, most of the national wealth gone up in flames, and a much smaller landmass than when they started their last conflicts. Why would you expect the result to be any better in a world which has much less tolerance for that sort of behavior than it used to, before the creation of the United Nations and the International Court of Justice?

Anyone who thinks militarism is something to be advocated cannot have much knowledge of what war looks like up close: have you ever seen any dead bodies, with heads blown apart, or men hacked away at the torso by artillery shells? Do you know what the smell of dead bodies decomposing is like, or what it is to see the burnt bodies of mothers holding their infants? Have you ever seen masses of teenage boys and old men lined up and shot in the back of the head for being "suspected guerillas"? If you can say "Yes" to such questions, then I can take your militarist stance a bit more seriously. War is a horrible, ugly business, never to be advocated lightly.

You are right about the internal division but it didn't start with Afonja.

It started when there was disagreement between Alafin Abiodun and the Egba's because of the policy to change from military strength to Economical strength.

After Alafin Abiodun had his way for his preferred economic growth over military strength, the Egba's quarters separated from Oyo empire.

They were no longer focused on the military hence the rebellions.
The

Besides, I am not saying we should be like Germany or Japan of those days. I am saying we should be like USA, UK etc of this era.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by laudate: 1:34pm On Jul 03, 2017
9jakool:
Don't worry, you have little to worry about. wink I thought you were Yoruba from the way you have conducted yourself. People who contribute to the development of Yoruba are welcome.
Olu317:
of course not once you can do the needful (get a Yoruba wife). On a serious note, I don't share outrightly banning as it seems because once you have what it takes to bring value to our nation ,why not? I am a hardened conservative but give wisdom to rule my decision. So ,once you are willing to support our dream and aspirations, you will be allowed to naturalized as It fit in to my own “opinion".
MrMaestro:
Those that are yorubanized will be the last of our worries. It is easy to know this if their families have spent generations here as you've stated. Their parents and grandparents will be recognized by the government as residents in the region and will be overlooked. Those that are more recent arrivals will definitely be subject to more scrutiny and most will be deported unless: you are not a criminal, you are intelligent and have a technical skill you're offering to yoruba society, and most importantly if you love Yorubas as you love your own brothers. Otherwise, non yoruba residents are most likely to be deported. If somehow a person is deported who is all that is listed, they will most surely gain reentry once they apply and go through the system.

Its not an attack on any tribe or minority, it is simply a measure of a protection for future yoruba generations so no one should take it the wrong way. There are countries that allow poor and jobless entry into their country for a better life (ex. US) Then there are countries who only prefer to allow expats and professionals (ex. Japan). I am for the latter. I hope that answers your question.
omohayek:
Don't worry, not all of us are hardliners! Besides, it's one thing to advocate such harsh measures in a vacuum, and another thing to get them passed when you have to deal with millions of voters whose families will be personally affected. I just don't ever see a situation where the Yoruba majority will sit by and accept the forced deportation of their wives, husbands, cousins, old friends and trusted colleagues.

I also understand where the desire for a hard policy comes from, but I don't think there's a need to apply it universally and blindly to get the same effect. Something as simple as saying "You can't hold simultaneously hold our citizenship and that of X", while imposing a Yoruba-language fluency condition, would easily achieve much the same result, without needlessly expelling people who are not only friendly but have valuable skills and resources to contribute.

I really appreciate all your responses & I fully understand where you are coming from. God bless you all.wink

5 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by laudate: 1:39pm On Jul 03, 2017
TimeMod1:
Hahaha!!. You no chop soup but you sabi lick plate, if you lick plate you don chop food be that. cheesy
If you sabi all the cuss words, you don sabi speak am. Fluency follows naturally but the cuss is the koko. That's the major start point. grin
I suppose say thank you, first. Abi, you don forget say na you cook di food? wink The soup no even sweet like before sef, but I just manage am like that! cheesy But people don talk say, na only when dem find my trouble, na im I fit use the cuss. So I just dey take corner eye look those 'land developers' for now. If dem try me, ehn....dem go hear am! cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by seanet01: 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2017
Dalek:

i for one dont support Oduduwa republic, Western Republic of Nigeria or Republic of Western Nigeria
We don't want anything that associate us with Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by deomelo: 1:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
StOla:
Concerning a future Yoruba/Yoruboid country.

I will suggest a unitary republic where cities and towns have mayors for executive authority, but only one central government without artificial states. there should be no states/towns of origin classification.

People's origin should only be referred to based on where they live or were born, and should be the only franchise qualification for political participation.

Also a presidential political system ensures that both party and candidate have the majority support to assume office, and not a parliamentary case where an unpopular party leader rides on the success of his other popular party mates to assume a national leadership. The former is more expensive but more representative of the wishes of the electorate.

Under no condition must a Yoruba republic allow refugee incursions from the old East and North. Bilateral trade may be established for mutual benefits that proximity affords. But entry of old Nigeria into our new country must be well monitored to ensure due exit.

All trade must be done with a firm national mindset of economic security.

Lastly, corruption must be placed on the pedestal of concern it deserves. Coming from a rotten Nigeria, we would need to exorcise this vice from the national psyche, and promote a conscious work ethic in our youth. Law enforcement must be active and prompt but civil and above board. The Judiciary should be a positive departure from the clowns in cloak we have in the Nigerian courts.

No welfare state condition must be supported, rather government must be ready to help support the enterprise ideas of the citizens.

Lastly everyman should be a king. A country of equals who have same access to education, healthcare, justice, and employment/enterprise.

A country of patriotic citizens, different from a country of bitter victims that Nigeria nurtures.

Very well stated.

2 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by kozmicity: 2:03pm On Jul 03, 2017
wristbangle:
Very structured layout. My only concern is the inclusion of some parts of Edo and Delta states. They are in the mid west/ss region, so let's leave them out the map.
The Yoruba people have some land in Delta state and as for Edo state...So you just want us to leave Benin town??...or is it not a Yoruba town?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by kozmicity: 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
ESDKING:
Haha haha, you people are comedians, are you tried of @bokis ?.

Anyways, such country called Oovua abi na Oodua only exist on nairaland.

You must remain with your masters whether you like it or not.
Who is your master?? tongue
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
No offense to anyone here who is anti-Oduduwa and no offense to awon Oba lade lade who are old enough to birth me 100 times over but I think the grouse people have with the name 'Oduduwa' is a reflection of ignorance of Yoruba history, philosophy and spirituality -- an attendant effect of colonialism/westernization.

Who or what is Oduduwa?

To answer this question properly one needs to flip through pages of Yoruba spirituality and history.

Odu To Da Iwa - the vessel that created existence.

From the spiritual perspective, Yoruba like every culture/civilization predating modern states have creation myths woven around gods (could be natural or supernatural phenomena).

For the Yoruba, Oduduwa is the name of this god that created everything - earth. To further elaborate, our creation story says Ile Aye is a calabash, Oduduwa is the bottom half while Orisa nla is the top. Oduduwa the bottom half is the earth from which life sprang - animals, plants, rocks and so on. In recent times, this story was given the palm wine plot twist which was said to have caused a rift between brothers on an errand to create things thereby becoming rivals.

Regardless of whatever rendition one picks, Oduduwa remained the god that created everything all through -- Oduduwa is an archaic name for earth, when earth assumed a godlike status amongst our forefathers. Ile is what our feet connects with, the deity behind that which everything exists upon is Oduduwa. (

From the historical perspective, Oduduwa (not his actual name) was an Ife man who usurped power while in pursuit of securing the interest of the people of his own section of Ife. It was during his time that monarchy, chieftaincy and all the socio-political and social-cultural systems now replete across Yoruba land emerged. There are other recent versions stating he was from Mecca, Egypt, Northern Nigeria (Nok) and now Bini but every story points to the fact that his time ushered in rapid changes in Ife, changes that were taken to other parts that are now Yoruba land.

Converging both angles, Oduduwa is the name of a god (earth) from which life sprang & Oduduwa was the (nick-)name of the warrior king from whom socio-cultural and socio-political life sprang to all other parts of what is now Yoruba.

Ife is practically the only place in Yoruba land where Oduduwa has followership/worship and anyone who attends their rituals will discover earth is what they worship -- they do not have any effigy/statue for Oduduwa like people do for most deities, they feed the earth through a very narrow hole that stretches deep into the earth -- this hole has been there since forever. The closest to this across other parts of Yoruba is Ogboni (not ROF & blood money groups parading as Ogboni) which is called Osugbo in Awujale's Ijebu where ile (oduduwa) is revered alongside edan & awon Iya.

The problem people have with the name Oduduwa is because of the relevance it gives the Ife throne, a thing borne out of ego rather than actual tradition but only if people can see and understand that beyond Ife, Oduduwa was what our forefathers called earth and also if these people and their kings can see, regardless of where they migrated from, that the socio-political & socio-cultural systems in their villages were derived from the changes/revolution Oduduwa started in Ife.

Either way anyone wants to argue, we all still fall under Oduduwa union either through ancestral earth worship, monarchy or blood links to Ife; Ogboni/Osugbo which the Kings are members of and rely on to ascend thrones and govern people; through the ebi system we practice; and through kingship & chieftaincy offices attached.

So when people hear 'Omo Oduduwa', it is usually in reference to the deity that created earth to which we owe our continued existence to. Those who are 'Omo Oduduwa' the king are the 8/16 crowned kings and their off shoots. Commoners are not part of this latter class but belong to the former which is encompassing. There are families who have ancestral 'beef' with Oduduwa the king and they flip and demand proper explanations when referred to as 'omo Oduduwa' but they know they are children of mother earth.

People just need to give Jesus and Muhammed a break then immerses themselves into their own ancestral culture. Not everything is juju/jazz/oogun, you can make your immersion whatever you want -- it could be for proper history, cultural knowledge, spirituality, philosophy, gender roles, politics, juju and so on. Y'all have been studying Jewish and Arab culture and histories since child birth, it is time to spend at least a year to study yours after which you can then return to your Jewish and Arab knowledge but at least learn yours for a minute in order to make informed decisions.

3 Likes

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by kozmicity: 2:09pm On Jul 03, 2017
wristbangle:

You are right though especially at the bolded. Well they will become part of Odua republic just like the Yorubas who have been nationalised in Benin republic and Togo.

Meanwhile someone mentioned earlier that why not choose Western Republic of Nigeria or something instead of Oduduwa Republic maybe due to the way it sounds. What do you think about this bro?
Sincerely I thought its only me that the name"Oduduwa"sounds weird to...its really long and difficult to pronounce.
"Oodua"sounds better...i came across a friend of mine on Facebook yesterday and she wanted to pronounce the "Oduduwa",I started pitying this girl(na Americana sha) grin
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by kozmicity: 2:12pm On Jul 03, 2017
Olu317:
No Yoruba hate itsekiri but itsekri always playing the pampered “pikin" because most of them don't see reason to align with their Yoruba relatives until they have problems with their neighbors. And that's when they realize, they have bigger brothers. Suffice to say that, ignorance of not knowing one identity is the major problem with some itsekiri because of their Location. You are very correct about dialects. They don't even speak Ilaje as much they speak EKITI and this what all of us have within our different locality
Bro,swear to me that Itsekiri are Yoruba people...#ineverknew
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by forgiveness: 2:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
Dalek:

emphasis on military will only cause problems for us, if Nigeria breaks we will get some military installation all we need do is maintain them. who we at war with?? is it North dat want to attack us or biafra??
i also dnt agree with recover Togo or Benin. how can we recover wat we never owned. dey may have Yoruba links but dey were never Nigerians, we can't attack and forcibly attach them to our new republic.

I still believe we need military strength due some obvious reasons I wont disclose here ....

Odua was never Nigerian before the British brought us together neither were they Togolese or Benin Republic before France divided them into those countries.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 03, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Actually, I think what he said was that ijebus are not descended from Oduduwa, but that they were already present at Ife before Oduduwa's advent and establishment of his dynasty. He's more anti-Oduduwa than anti-Ife. Though I doubt most ijebus share his overall opinion in this regard.

If Ijebu came from China and had no connections with Ife then I wonder why Ijebu since earlier times always feel the need to take Ife's sides in all her wars or comes to its aid when it is under attack?

I wonder why Ijebu is surrounded by towns who claim and still have ancestral compounds in Ife with tradition giving credence to their stories and it is only Ijebu that suddenly migrated from somewhere? I wonder why Obanta is generally agreed to have been from Ife but his role/status downplayed?
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
kozmicity:

The Yoruba people have some land in Delta state and as for Edo state...So you just want us to leave Benin town??...or is it not a Yoruba town?
No it is not "yorubatown". I beg you guys to go and study history instead of talking gibberish all day.
No yoruba have no land in the niger delta.

1 Like

Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by kozmicity: 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
history2902:
No it is not "yorubatown". I beg you guys to go and study history instead of talking gibberish all day.
No yoruba have no land in the niger delta.
Bro...you forgot Benin City...What about Benin city??
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 03, 2017
forgiveness:

He said:”I came in from Ile-Ife to this place and the way the Ooni of Ife received me and my entourage confirmed the fact that we are from the same heritage. As a matter of fact, I had the honour to first receive and bless his new wife. And when I got to the palace of Oba of Lagos this morning, the reception too was like home coming.

“The Oba of Lagos left his throne and sat with me and this is just a confirmation that we are brothers and must not be separated. I am happy sitting with the Governor as a member of the same family. My appeal is that we are part of you not minding the geographical distance. There are lots of Itsekiri in Lagos and there are lots of Yoruba in Warri. I want such relationship to continue and pray that we should sustain it.”

https://www.google.com.ng/url?url=/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/olu-warri-itsekiri-heritage-meets-yoruba-royalty/amp/&rct=j&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiFn-e7i-3UAhXBKFAKHZp2CiwQFggaMAA&q=Olu+of+Warri+said+we+are+Yoruba&usg=AFQjCNFsg5ZPcrIxxQKGBHDugGygZZCkAw
Here are the quotes from Olu of Warri. grin
I am starting to understand that you guys don't know the meaning of "history" because it is not taught in nigerian schools.
You don't get to decide what your past was according to your mood of the day.
The Oba of Lagos has already clarified the Edo origins of Lagos, so have historical documents.
The Olu of Warri was only looking for an alliance, he didn't know that you guys as usual would see this as him forfeiting his land Warri to your lots.
This is one of the reasons why I oppose any alliance with yoruba, you act like parasites. If you want a real genuin alliance then talk, if you are just trying to claim other people's lands and wealth then go to hell.
Re: Draft Of The Oodua Region Yoruba Constitution by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 03, 2017
kozmicity:

Bro...you forgot Benin City...What about Benin city??
Benin City is certainly not Yoruba, it is Edo, the capital of the Edo empire.
"Yorubas" are getting on my nerves, the way they carry on inventing the most laughable stories and calling them their "history".

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (30) (Reply)

Where Is Hajiya Turai Yaradua? / Army Sacks General Aliyu Momoh / Troops Apprehend Mastermind Of Gombe Bombing After Shoot-out (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.