Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,209 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? (25828 Views)

Is It A Sin For Married Couples To Use Condoms? / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? / "Why Masturbation Was The Biggest Sin For Me To Overcome" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 02, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
Are catholic not xtians?
I don't consider them Christians because they worship idol. Yahweh hates idol worship with passion
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Topgainer: 12:45pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:
1 Corinthians 14:34
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Op, where did you get that picture of Her Holiness Pope Margaret Idahosa the Supreme Leader of Church of God Mission International

Nollywood actress in her Church looked like what is seen in Indian temple.
Pentecostalism (originated from America) is all about shrewd businessmen and their sheeples. There ain't no rules except the ones that ensure the sheeples pay seeds and more sheeples are brought into a particular brand of it. There is stiff competition among the different enterprises for the population of desperate miracle/ magic seekers prompting the proprietors to seek for more stunts to have an edge unfortunately occult men with methods from 6th and 7th books of Moses abound.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Awoo88: 12:45pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:

he came to fulfill the words of the prophets...

Isaiah preached the coming of our about a many many years before he was born​

the coming of Jesus just tells us God always keep to his words...

if Jesus Christ didn't abolish Jewish laws he won't have been killed...

so he actually came to change the law of the jews
I don't know what you are reading or who is teaching you but what ever it is, it is wrong for your spiritual wellbeing
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by lonikit: 12:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

I don't consider them Christians because they worship idol. Yahweh hates idol worship with passion

assuustrike pls bfr u go on strike, say sumtin abt tithe that is preached in all churches which was nt preach by Christ. it is clearly written that women on menstruation shud nt come bfr the lord Cus they are unholy and tithe is also in thesame old testament. why do they neglect the former and preached the latter nw.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Elijahhopelarry(m): 12:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Erhun10z: 12:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:
that's a Jewish law

if u read on the Jews u will get a clearer view on the Bible

sadly wat we practice here is Judaism not christainity
Corithians Written By Paul A Jewish Law ?? Where Is The Christian Law That Says The Opposite ?? Because, Bros You They Confusion Me OOO !!!!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by lelvin(m): 12:55pm On Jul 02, 2017
Op get ready, feminists are coming for your ass. The church lost focus a long time ago

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by lonikit: 12:57pm On Jul 02, 2017
it is clearly written in the old testament that women on menstruation shud nt come bfr the lord Cus they are unholy and tithe is also in thesame old testament. why do they neglect the former and preached the latter nw.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Shafiiimran99: 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

But they are the one that designed ur believe and the church that u re goin today
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 02, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
But they are the design ur believe the church that u re goin today
Please rewrite again I can't comprehend what you wrote
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by linearity: 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:
that's a Jewish law

if u read on the Jews u will get a clearer view on the Bible

sadly wat we practice here is Judaism not christainity

You are making things up as you go!

Paul was not speaking to Jews, he was speaking to the Born Again Brethren from the Church in Corinth. As you you saw, he was referring to 'Church' and not 'Temple'.

He also spoke to them about speaking in tongues and order in the Church. Jews do not speak in tongues and Order of worship in the Temple has also been per-ordained by God.

Yes, there is a similar law like this for the Jews as contained in the laws, but that does not confuses this passage and the intended audience as the passage is very clear and direct.

Please, note that one is not hear to condemn Churches that do it, just pointing out what the Bible said devoid of emotions and prejudice period!
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by benji93: 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
Kay25:
Paul's opinnion not God's commandment though paul's opinnion can be respected yet God is not gender biased.if deborah had kept silent when the men ought to fight and ran back did u think israel will have victory?
How do you mean God is not gender biased(there is nothing like reason, when it comes to God, he does what pleases him, we are a creation of his imagination).So you are comparing wars to the church abi, that's a terrible analogy. The burden of headship rests on the man not the woman.The woman is the glory of the man, as christ is the glory of the man.Do not be deceived, a woman was borne of the desire of a man.God commanded from the beginning,Genesis 1 vs 6:“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”This are some of the dictates that must continue to the end of time.If man will be held responsible for all teachings-true or false, then man must deliver these teachings.This is not to say, women cannot involve themselves in scriptural discussion or provide biblical information, such as quoting the scripture in related discussions.Also men could discuss matters with women, especially ones directly involving them.But in the end the decision of which teaching is right, wrong,suitable or unsuitable rests with the man.As far as the impartation of scriptural teaching is concerned, it is the responsibility of a man.May God help us.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by luvmijeje(f): 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
1 Corinthians 14:34
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Emphasis on says the Law
On that what law is Apostle Paul speaking of?

It's definitely not Mosaic law

It's definitely not the Law of Christ

Then what law?

Act 21:8-9
8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

Apostle was a recipient of prophecies from 4 females. If Apostle Paul has truly said a woman must prophesy only to her husband then he shouldn't have been a recipient.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by charlsecy(m): 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:

.....if you are doing anything that Jesus Christ didn't say in the new testament.. my brother u ain't a Christian
Does that mean a person who watches TV or uses a computer cannot be a Christian because Jesus never said we should do these things?
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Shafiiimran99: 1:04pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Please rewrite again I can't comprehend what you wrote
I have edited it. I said they are the one that designed ur believe and the church that u re goin today
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by biotechshola(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
Lovine:
Best Answer: If you read 1 Cor 14 in it context, Paul begins in Chapter 11 and goes through chapter 14 dealing with issues that the church was having with how their religious services were being conducted.

In chapter 11 he deals with people who were abusing the fellowship meal that often preceded such services, by hogging all the food and even getting drunk.

In chapter 12 he deals with infighting over church positions and ministries, each group claiming that their calling was higher then the others.

In chapter 14 he deals with issues where people were interrupting the services wanting to give "special revelations" that they had received, or give their messages in languages that people could not understand.

One of the issues was that there were several women who appeared to be interrupting the services wanting ask questions. Paul tells them wait, and ask their husbands their questions when they get home. That way they can get the answers without having to interrupt the service.(Nothing "sexist" or degrading about that).

So I Cor 14 was addressing a local issue that the women were interrupting the services and needed to be told to stop and ask their question properly. But it also reveals a principle for all times, which is if you have a question, rather than interrupt the service, ask the question of the proper people afterwards.

so are you now saying that most of the write up in the Bible by Paul were to addressed particular issue at that time and not applicable to everyone?
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by eph12(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

its not compulsory but they pay?? if yes, then it contradict ur position on the teaching of Christ that u claim to follow wholly. Jesus never preached tithe
The point there is that whether you pay tithe or not, it can't stop you from being Christ like, unlike what some churches preach.

Same thing with women leading or teaching in churches. It can never stop you from making heaven.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Elijahhopelarry(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:

there comes a time in the Bible where we have to pick who to follow

I always choose to follow Christ, because am a Christian and that's what christainity teaches.

so I follow the way of Christ which was clearly stated in the Bible

Christ didn't say anything about women preaching in temple,

but Paul said something about it. it's difficult to understand St Paul's motive , but it's very easy to understand that of Christ which is LOVE

love conquers all...

let me ask u some questions

who would you pick first between Paul and Jesus Christ

if u read only the words of Jesus Christ only and follow his ways, then forget about the prophets and saints , will u still make heaven
sorry oh but this thing u wrote is very silly.thanx
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by lonikit: 1:09pm On Jul 02, 2017
luvmijeje:

Emphasis on says the Law
On that what law is Apostle Paul speaking of?

It's definitely not Mosaic law

It's definitely not the Law of Christ

Then what law?

Act 21:8-9
8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

Apostle was a recipient of prophecies from 4 females. If Apostle Paul has truly said a woman must prophesy only to her husband then he shouldn't have been a recipient.

get the point woman. Paul was so specific, he said in chrch alone. besides, wht u quoted is also in joelJoel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions

but he was specific abt church.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by eph12(m): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2017
biotechshola:

so are you now saying that most of the write up in the Bible by Paul were to addressed particular issue at that time and not applicable to everyone?
Personally I think that's what it is, most parts of the gospel were written specifically to address certain things then. If we're experiencing similar situation now, yes it's applicable if not wisdom is profitable to direct.

Paul and others were inspired by the holy spirit, so are we saying the holy spirit is not in the business of inspiring people anymore to deal with present situations?
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

assuustrike pls bfr u go on strike, say sumtin abt tithe that is preached in all churches which was nt preach by Christ. it is clearly written that women on menstruation shud nt come bfr the lord Cus they are unholy and tithe is also in thesame old testament. why do they neglect the former and preached the latter nw.
The tabus surrounding menstruation that arose in Jewish and Christian tradition should be firmly discarded.
After a long discussion with the Rabbis of his time on questions of ritual cleanliness (see Mark 7,1-13), Jesus clearly taught his disciples that the only things that make us unclean are sins which proceed from the evil intentions of the heart. No external, physical realities can make us 'unclean' in God's eyes.

Jesus said: "It is from within, from people's hearts, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these evil things come from within (the heart). They make a person unclean" (Mark 7,14-23)
Whether the tithe is only for Old Testament or if it is also included in the New Testament is probably the most debated issue. The scripture most frequently referenced regarding the tithe is indeed in the Old Testament (Malachi 3:10-12), but the tithe is also referenced in the New Testament. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus talks to the Pharisees, condemning them for tithing to the penny but neglecting the more important issues of justice, mercy and faith. He then goes on to tell them that they should in fact tithe, but that they shouldn't neglect the more important things. Jesus recognized the importance of keeping the tithe and we should, too.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Judgesledge(m): 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

my bro don't misinterprete the bible. let me show u dis:

Matthew 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The law was given to man to reconcile man with God, unfortunately who can keep the law, so christ came for same purpose, in other words he came to fulfill the original purpose of the law
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by luvmijeje(f): 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

get the point woman. Paul was so specific, he said in chrch alone. besides, wht u quoted is also in joelJoel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions

but he was specific abt church.

So where should a woman prophesy? On the street? On the road?
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by lonikit: 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

The tabus surrounding menstruation that arose in Jewish and Christian tradition should be firmly discarded.
After a long discussion with the Rabbis of his time on questions of ritual cleanliness (see Mark 7,1-13), Jesus clearly taught his disciples that the only things that make us unclean are sins which proceed from the evil intentions of the heart. No external, physical realities can make us 'unclean' in God's eyes.

Jesus said: "It is from within, from people's hearts, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these evil things come from within (the heart). They make a person unclean" (Mark 7,14-23)
Whether the tithe is only for Old Testament or if it is also included in the New Testament is probably the most debated issue. The scripture most frequently referenced regarding the tithe is indeed in the Old Testament (Malachi 3:10-12), but the tithe is also referenced in the New Testament. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus talks to the Pharisees, condemning them for tithing to the penny but neglecting the more important issues of justice, mercy and faith. He then goes on to tell them that they should in fact tithe, but that they shouldn't neglect the more important things. Jesus recognized the importance of keeping the tithe and we should, too.

if u claim that Jesus emphasize tithe,then is either u are liein or u don't understand the portion. he was actually condemning them for not take care of the important tin rather paying tithe.
Luke 11:42
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by torres89: 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
charlsecy:
Does that mean a person who watches TV or uses a computer cannot be a Christian because Jesus never said we should do these things?

do you think Jesus would have watched TV if it were available at that Time

after all he did everything that a normal man does in his time
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by drewsman: 1:21pm On Jul 02, 2017
torres89:

here we go again...

my people die because of lack of knowledge...

I just told u to read up something and u there challenging nonsense

oya go and Chase all the female pastors out of their Church na
mr man, apostle Paul wrote it to the corinthians, who are in no wise jews. its you who needs the knowledge more
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
I have edited it. I said they are the one that designed ur believe and the church that u re goin today
That's true they contributed to a large extend but they still practice paganism although not all their members. I grew up there so I know what am talking about. Just visit any of their parishes you would see status of Mary and Jesus there. It's not bad to have status, paintings and drawings of Jesus but bowing to it is the problem
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2017
blueseacats:
then how come 99% of the pastors won't let Malachi (Old Testament) rest? And moreover Corinthians is in the New Testament.

Christians are the most hypocritical people on Earth.
Pastors will collect tithe with Malachi then ignore the remaining chapters that it's old testament

Pastors will preach with GENESIS, make statements with PROVERBS pray with PSLAM forgotten these are old testament but he will ignore other chapters

You quoted CORINTHIANS which is a new testament yet the person said the verse is for JEWS.

Peter 3 said women should cover themselves but no CHRISTIAN follow this verse. Infact, Mary always covered her hair

Mathew said, ye shall not worship anything that's designed like a scipture yet CHRISTIANS does just that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

if u claim that Jesus emphasize tithe,then is either u are liein or u don't understand the portion. he was actually condemning them for not take care of the important tin rather paying tithe.
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Now let us consider whether tithing is required in the new covenant. Tithing is mentioned only three or four times in the New Testament. Jesus acknowledged that the Pharisees were very careful about tithing (Luke 18:12), and he said that they should not leave it undone (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42). Tithing, like other old covenant rules and rituals, was a law at the time Jesus spoke. Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
lonikit:

Jesus acknowledged that the Pharisees were very careful about tithing (Luke 18:12), and he said that they should not leave it undone (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42). Tithing, like other old covenant rules and rituals, was a law at the time Jesus spoke. Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Apina(m): 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
It would be ignorant not to acknowledge that each letter written to various churches were to address the issues affecting such churches. The same way he wrote to the church in Corinth so also did he write a different one to the church in Thessaloniki and to other churches and individuals. Putting it within our present day context would be an injustice if applied without reason.
Re: Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? by Apina(m): 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

People are bound to condemn what they do not understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist / Chris Okotie - Tattoos And Plastic Surgery Are Not Sins / Armed Robbers Attacked Me! I Declared Myself A CHOSEN! They Left Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.