Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) (12968 Views)

Boko Haram Vs Religion Of Islam / Anambra Catholic Church Massacre VS Religion Indifference / Boko Haram Vs Religion Of Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by lepasharon(f): 8:45pm On Jul 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Lepasharon caused this by mentioning someone OP deliberately left out
angry

OP already foresaw this which explains his refusal to mention that person

Lol soz..but felix was mentioned
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Lepasharon caused this by mentioning someone OP deliberately left out

OP already foresaw this which explains his refusal to mention that person

The topic drew me and not the mention from anyone.

Ask Jackbizzle to come give us his supporting arguments. You cannot have your cake and eat it too can you?

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by sonofluc1fer: 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:

Science is not competing with faith or prayer as you make it out to be. Prayer is (or should be) a very personal activity, and it's results are subjective, and personal, not a lottery. You can mock prayer if you want, it's like pushing against a hill. Humanity will always reach out in prayer to deity.

Exactly. There is no competition. No need to mock prayers.. If anything, Nigeria proves prayers is just mockery when a country makes prayers a national pasttime.

Tried challenging you to a chess game, but my net is poor. Left you a message. Check your inbox.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by CatfishBilly: 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:
1. Prayer, is entirely subjective. It means different things to different people cannot even know how much

2. We cannot completely apply limited human investigations to determine the out working of God's power.

3.They cannot even quantify the actual amount of people praying, random numbers of friends and family, etc. if we want to give them any leverage.

Come on, now.
You're a medical student. You know how invaluable clinical studies are in trying to determine the effectiveness of a line of therapy.
Double blind placebo controlled group trials are the best there is.
You can't just wave it off like that, you can as well wave off every single evidence based medicine plan you plan on using for your patients.

When a double blind study proved that religion was very helpful in dealing with depression, it was accepted by christians. But when it failed with prayers, it is now "We cannot completely apply limited human investigations to determine the out working of God's power."?

Besides, the prayers were proper prayers done in a church and the Bible described prayers as goal oriented, it never said anything about it being subjective.

So, in your opinion, what's the best way to measure the efficacy of prayers?

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
@ joshthefirst looking at your ID I can see you have been here since 2014 and I am just fresh on the scene but I think you need to be wise. Questions are thrown at you from a position already occupied by the one asking the question.

In the midst of the question he is also making known what he thinks about the answer you would give even before you have had the chance to give it.

You are being goaded!

When anyone asks a question you have the right to also ask WHY such questions are being asked so he or she can back them up with explanations (arguments). Do not just respond when atheists ask questions. They already have an end in mind and just want to use you to prove they were right all along.

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by JackBizzle: 9:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
spacetacular:

The topic drew me and not the mention from anyone.

Ask Jackbizzle to come give us his supporting arguments. You cannot have your cake and eat it too can you?

Supporting arguments? What did I post in the op?

You are as dumb as felixomor. Enough said.

Just gerrout

5 Likes

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:

Just gerrout

Oh shut up!

Why did you ask the questions you did?

Did you have an ignorant position or an already informed one as an atheist?

Remember you conceived this on my page and I know why you decided to start this topic.

Let us know your own position regarding the questions you asked then we would have a foundation to stand on when responding.

Surely you know the way debates run or don't you?

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by sonofluc1fer: 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2017
spacetacular:
@ joshthefirst looking at your ID I can see you have been here since 2014 and I am just fresh on the scene but I think you need to be wise.
Hallo dear.

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:21pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:

Just gerrout

Do you just say space is waste with no supporting evidence?

Do you say science is against religion with no supporting evidence?

Do you say resuscitation is impossible with God with no supporting evidence?

Let us have your supporting arguments. Simple as that.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by dalaman: 9:21pm On Jul 06, 2017
Religionists love to ride on the coat tails of science if they can make it seem like it supports their claim, tgey claim that there is no difference btw the two(which is a very big lie) but they slander science at every opportunity when it conflicts with their magic story, even as they benefit from the fruits of science such as a computer world, longer lives, air travel, cars, cell phones, media, antibiotics and good health care delivery in general, a growing wonderous understanding of our universe as well as the microscopic world, DNA, etc. When Newton couldn't figure out how the planetary orbits could remain stable, he quit looking for natural explanations and concluded that God must be intervening to put them back on track. He was wrong because he let faith cloud his thinking.

But people believe this things because their good religions told them so, and they've learned not to question "God" (or his self-proclaimed earthly representatives.)

Religious folks have just gotten used to not having their pet superstitions questioned(Most get angry when you question their pet superstitions). They like to feel like it's ennobling to believe in their version of magical thinking. I feel pretty equal about all superstitions--Scientology, Astrology, psychics, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism all mythologies, all belief in the paranormal, supernatural, and other pseudoscientific beliefs. They just don't hold up under testing at all and I'm tired of fooling myself and wonder why people do that. I'd rather not know something than believe a lie, and as far as the evidence goes, all belief in invisible beings is equally delusional. There is no more evidence for Thor than Jesus-God or any other God.

There is not 2 sides to "the debate." There is one
truth and so far science is the best path for illuminating the truth that is the same for everyone no matter what they believe. Same is NOT the same for religion.

On the flip side, there are millions of faiths humans have always invented Gods or other invisible entities and supernatural explanations to explain that which they don't understand. But then science comes along and tells them to stop sacrificing virginsto appease the Gods, there are no weather Gods that need pleasing, and we can do better by using irrigation and planting weather resistant crops.

You picked one version of a magical story to believe over all the other possibilities because somehow you thought it was "the truth" but doesn't every believer think that? Certainly, no matter what is true, the vast majority of people are confused or mistaken or just wrong. Everyone is going to hell according to Somebody's religion.

Move forward to the early 21st century and the advances in science help explain what was once seen as supernatural (volcanoes, earthquakes, biology, physics, the universe, diseases etc). It is my belief the modern day religious apologists see the advances in science as influencing people to abandon their religious beliefs and worship the God of "science". Thus, the apologists stepping into the fray are faced either with trying to discount science or elevate religious belief to an equal of science.

At least that is what I see from the post on this topic and in most places.

If that understanding is correct then the modern day Christian apologist is doomed. Religion is not science and science is not religion. Science is based on observation and theories based on those observations. One can argue that is also what religious apologists attempt to do but the key difference is creating an experiment which will substantiate the theory. To the best of my knowledge, there is no chant, ritual, incantation, prayer, series of gestures, etc. which will consistently produce an entity which can be seen and measured and identified as "God".
Religionis NOT science and science is NOT religion.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by JackBizzle: 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:
prayer has nothing to do with science, prayer is spiritual. It is a supernatural communication, so why do you expect science to have an opinion on it? It is outside of the boundaries of science, so don't be unwise. Science is very limited, even in our bid to understand the physical universe. Man's heart yearns for the spiritual, and the impossible.

Life itself is a miracle. Things like people parading about with an unbelief in transcendence is a miracle.

It is not just logical, but it is necessary, for God to exist.
And telling someone to calm down and still using derogatory remarks like "sky daddy" is foolish of you. It seems you have a very annoying mentality that you are Intrinsically better and smarter than everyone else, and you are right and can never be wrong.

Don't be annoying. Yes I called for a civil debate. The term 'sky daddy' is just a joke. Stop the hypocritical overreaction.

Communication is a science. You can't claim that spiritual is different from science then now link them together as spiritual communication.

There is no evidence for a God. No matter how much faith you have, you will never see physical evidence for God.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:23pm On Jul 06, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Hallo dear.

Hello son of the morning star.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by urheme: 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:
This thread is for Christians who are scientists, whether they are doctors, lab assistants, technicians, engineers etc.

HOW DO YOU BALANCE YOUR RELIGION WITH SCIENCE? THIS IS VECAUSE THEY CAN BE POLAR OPPOSITE AT TIMES.

JUST LOOK AT THESE QUESTIONS

1. As a biologist, how do you explain Jesus rising from the dead, when you know that a dead body can't rise again especially after 3 days?

2. Where does Jesus's other set of chromosomes come from if Joseph is not his father (no biological father)

3. As a geologist, wouldn't there be earth or soil under any body of water? Then how could God in genesis claim to have floated over deep waters and created the earth?

4. How do you reconcile pastors healing diseases with no cure? How can someone be healed of Aids, Ebola etc?

5. How can an astrophysicist look at the vast emptiness of outer space and agree that a great omniscient God created such a waste?

JackBizzle, you again.

Perhaps God would have created you as a virus or bacteria...then you will know how they check back to hell when the Holy Spirit arrives that sick body.....henhen... i remember when i received my healing.....come and see them running out grin grin grin grin grin grin...no i didn't see them

2 Likes

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by dorindaamara: 9:26pm On Jul 06, 2017
TLuzzie:
A mystery is no answer. Do you know why Christian theologians do call the Holy Trinity the "Mystery of Christian Faith"? It's another way of saying, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I refuse to listen to my rational mind screaming bullshit.

If you know this 'mystery', mind letting me in on it?

it's obvs not a mystery
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by dorindaamara: 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2017
this is getting interesting
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:

Don't be annoying. Yes I called for a civil debate. The term 'sky daddy' is just a joke. Stop the hypocritical overreaction.

Communication is a science. You can't claim that spiritual is different from science then now link them together as spiritual communication.

There is no evidence for a God. No matter how much faith you have, you will never see physical evidence for God.

You called for a "civil" debate but never laid your arguments down but rather started it with derogatory words. You already had an end in mind before asking your questions so let us know your end aka your arguments along with your evidence which brought about your end position.

Now THAT is a proper "civil" debate.

Just in case you do not know what a DEBATE is all about allow me show you.

debate
dɪˈbeɪt/Submit
noun
a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.

So where is your argument?

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by urheme: 9:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:

you don't need faith to know God Exist......"doubt" is what you need...When God Blast that doubt in you...you will know that faith is even a gift you may never have.

God is real even in your doubts.....you cannot separate man from God.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by hopefulLandlord: 9:33pm On Jul 06, 2017
dalaman:
Religionists love to ride on the coat tails of science if they can make it seem like it supports their claim, tgey claim that there is no difference btw the two(which is a very big lie) but they slander science at every opportunity when it conflicts with their magic story, even as they benefit from the fruits of science such as a computer world, longer lives, air travel, cars, cell phones, media, antibiotics and good health care delivery in general, a growing wonderous understanding of our universe as well as the microscopic world, DNA, etc. When Newton couldn't figure out how the planetary orbits could remain stable, he quit looking for natural explanations and concluded that God must be intervening to put them back on track. He was wrong because he let faith cloud his thinking.

But people believe this things because their good religions told them so, and they've learned not to question "God" (or his self-proclaimed earthly representatives.)

Religious folks have just gotten used to not having their pet superstitions questioned(Most get angry when you question their pet superstitions). They like to feel like it's ennobling to believe in their version of magical thinking. I feel pretty equal about all superstitions--Scientology, Astrology, psychics, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism all mythologies, all belief in the paranormal, supernatural, and other pseudoscientific beliefs. They just don't hold up under testing at all and I'm tired of fooling myself and wonder why people do that. I'd rather not know something than believe a lie, and as far as the evidence goes, all belief in invisible beings is equally delusional. There is no more evidence for Thor than Jesus-God or any other God.

truth and so far science is the best path for illuminating the truth that is the same for everyone no matter what they believe. Same is NOT the same for religion.

On the flip side, there are millions of faiths humans have always invented Gods or other invisible entities and supernatural explanations to explain that which they don't understand. But then science comes along and tells them to stop sacrificing virginsto appease the Gods, there are no weather Gods that need pleasing, and we can do better by using irrigation and planting weather resistant crops.

You picked one version of a magical story to believe over all the other possibilities because somehow you thought it was "the truth" but doesn't every believer think that? Certainly, no matter what is true, the vast majority of people are confused or mistaken or just wrong. Everyone is going to hell according to Somebody's religion.

Move forward to the early 21st century and the advances in science help explain what was once seen as supernatural (volcanoes, earthquakes, biology, physics, the universe, diseases etc). It is my belief the modern day religious apologists see the advances in science as influencing people to abandon their religious beliefs and worship the God of "science". Thus, the apologists stepping into the fray are faced either with trying to discount science or elevate religious belief to an equal of science.

If that understanding is correct then the modern day Christian apologist is doomed. Religion is not science and science is not religion. Science is based on observation and theories based on those observations. One can argue that is also what religious apologists attempt to do but the key difference is creating an experiment which will substantiate the theory. To the best of my knowledge, there is no chant, ritual, incantation, prayer, series of gestures, etc. which will consistently produce an entity which can be seen and measured and identified as "God".

3 Likes

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by sonofluc1fer: 9:40pm On Jul 06, 2017
spacetacular:

How are you doing? You sound pissed.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 9:45pm On Jul 06, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Nope! Not pissed but actually being logical in truth. They are the ones pissed because i am stating exactly how their so called civil debate should go.

If i ask you questions without also explaining why i asked those questions and you answer first when i have made no submission of my own then i can simply use your answers to steer the so called civil debate the way i want it to go. That is a diabolical kind of common sense because it is manipulative and that is what is intended here.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Joshthefirst(m): 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
spacetacular:
@ joshthefirst looking at your ID I can see you have been here since 2014 and I am just fresh on the scene but I think you need to be wise. Questions are thrown at you from a position already occupied by the one asking the question.

In the midst of the question he is also making known what he thinks about the answer you would give even before you have had the chance to give it.

You are being goaded!

When anyone asks a question you have the right to also ask WHY such questions are being asked so he or she can back them up with explanations (arguments). Do not just respond when atheists ask questions. They already have an end in mind and just want to use you to prove they were right all along.

I understand. I always try to take advantage of threads like this to make put forward a point or two too, and if they deteriorate as in the case I'll show below, I let the conversation tether to a halt.

JackBizzle:
what are you saying? Communication is exchanging information. I'm not trying to link anything together, you are. Communing with God is exchanging information and presence with God, a spiritual entity. Science deals with what we can handle.

JackBizzle:

There you are going around with your dogmatic idi.ocy.
Let me show you: There is evidence of God. No matter how idi.otic you prove to be, you will never successfully deceive yourself completely into ignoring God's existence.

You've ended our conversation.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Joshthefirst(m): 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

grin
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Joshthefirst(m): 10:00pm On Jul 06, 2017
spacetacular:

and I've actually been here since 2012 in a different moniker. cool
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 06, 2017
JackBizzle:

You have nothing to say.

SWERVE!
Exactly nothing meaningful to add
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 10:04pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:
I understand. I always try to take advantage of threads like this to make put forward a point or two too, and if they deteriorate as in the case I'll show below, I let the conversation tether to a halt.

what are you saying? Communication is exchanging information. I'm not trying to link anything together, you are. Communing with God is exchanging information and presence with God, a spiritual entity. Science deals with what we can handle.

There you are going around with your dogmatic idi.ocy.
Let me show you: There is evidence of God. No matter how idi.otic you prove to be, you will never successfully deceive yourself completely into ignoring God's existence.

You've ended our conversation.

I hope you know i was not trying to tell you what to do but i could see the intention of all this right from the start. Even his comments which you responded to proved me right. You are a wise soul.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by spacetacular(f): 10:05pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:

You are an old horse cheesy

Here i am still testing out my wings.
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Joshthefirst(m): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Come on, now.
You're a medical student. You know how invaluable clinical studies are in trying to determine the effectiveness of a line of therapy.
Double blind placebo controlled group trials are the best there is.
You can't just wave it off like that, you can as well wave off every single evidence based medicine plan you plan on using for your patients.

When a double blind study proved that religion was very helpful in dealing with depression, it was accepted by christians. But when it failed with prayers, it is now "We cannot completely apply limited human investigations to determine the out working of God's power."?

Besides, the prayers were proper prayers done in a church and the Bible described prayers as goal oriented, it never said anything about it being subjective.

So, in your opinion, what's the best way to measure the efficacy of prayers?
accepted by Christians doesn't mean accepted by me.

The best way to test the efficacy of prayer is to pray yourself. Pray to the God you may have doubts about. Be open to the fact that you don't know everything, make room in your heart and don't assume you know all the answers. Pray to God to reveal himself and his truth to you, seek genuinely with a pure heart.

My answer is based on the assumption that you're a seeker at heart, and not a raver.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 06, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Another promising thread derailed.
What is wrong with you people sef?
Mehn, tìrẹ for that spacetacula-r oo.

She wanna be relevant by fire by force...

Damn cry cry

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
lepasharon:

Lol soz..but felix was mentioned
We could still manage Felix naw.

Space is damage beyond repair

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by sonofluc1fer: 10:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
Joshthefirst:
sad
Been here since 2006. tongue

1 Like

Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by lepasharon(f): 10:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
adepeter26:

We could still manage Felix naw.

Space is damage beyond repair

grin
Re: Christian Doctors And Science Students (science Vs Religion) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 06, 2017
dalaman:

Thread closed.... Anyways, the professional Medical debater can continue...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"My Haters Are My Advertisers" - T.B Joshua Reveals His Church Secret / Why You Place Your Bible So Close To You On The Bed? / 4 Reasons Christians Die In Sickness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.