Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (697236 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okesima24: 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
Sad day....
So I was delayed today for the second time in Abuja.
I am honestly just lost for words right now.
This is not the transcript I thought I'll be writing today but God knows best.
If you recall I was the guy denied on June 22nd and the VO didn't return my passport to me. That's how I found this thread through a friend. After back and forth for two weeks I finally retrieved the passport and a mail saying I should apply again at no cost. Called the call center to book the free appointment and they did. On getting there on 24th of July for my interview, was told the mail they sent me was a mistake, that I should pay another 64k and come back. I did and here I am now. My full transcript below.

I was interviewed by a white guy in window 9. I was happy it was a guy at least. And was so confident all through.

Vo: morning.
Me: morning.

Vo: so why did you choose to go to Harrisburg University?

Me: I'm going to Harrisburg University because they offer a concentration in CAPM (defined it) in their Msc Project management and I spoke with professor Stephen Onu, a Nigerian, who has an ongoing research on Project Execution using Agile lean model and he has invited me to join his research upon my arrival.

Vo: Did you consider any other school?

Me: Yes I considered Ashland University, (vo cuts in) but why did you pick harrisburg? I wanted to say the admission is pending but he didn't let me. So I said the concentration harrisburg has is a unique advantage for me and later said that Ashland admission is pending.

Vo: so have you traverted before

Me: yes I have been to Ghana.

Vo: so where did you do your undergraduate?

Me: I did my university degree at University of Abuja, studied political science and graduated in 2008 after which I joined a media company as a proofreader and from there I joined maritimo resources, a construction firm, and later to where I presently work. At so and so company as Sales operations manager and listed all my duties.

All the while he was typing and nodding his head.

Vo; then he asked so who is paying your tuition?

Me: my dad

Vo; what does he do?

Me: A building contractor and owns a furniture company.

Then he keeps typing for sometime and in my mind I was like finally I have gotten it......then all of a sudden blue paper.
My people I am so sad. But I thank ProfOjah1234 for his help. He really helped me and everything almost went as me and him discussed except for the delay. Sigh! Were do I get another 64k? School resumes on 25th. Damn I'm sad.
This plat form has really helped me and that's why I decided that I must write this transcript.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
Okesima24:
Sad day....

Sorry about your delay..... did you have both interview in Abuja .?.

While sucess can be got anywhere . If it me if abuja delays me the next time i would go to Lagos

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okesima24: 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2017
@LagosismyHome yes. Both interviews were in Abuja.
In fact I regret not going to Lagos now for this interview.
But pls what do you think is wrong with my interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scoreall: 1:33pm On Aug 05, 2017
emmayodata:
To God be the glory, my visa was approved yesterday Thursday. My interview was scheduled for 6:30am.

vo: Good morning, pass me your i20 and passport
me: Good morning sir (with a smile and composure), I was told to include my ds confirmation (included ds confirmation)
vo: ok (scanned my ds 160)
vo: what are you going to study?
me: computer and information sciences
vo: where is that?
me: ETSU - East Tennessee State University
vo: how did you hear about this school?
me: A patience who was admitted at mum's clinic told me about the school, he had a son who was a student in that school. I got the son's contact, we talked and he (the son) spoke greatly about the school, the weather in Johnson city and how good the environment is for learning.
vo: did you apply to other schools?
me: yes: Troy University Alabama and Geogia State University.
vo: How many gave you admission?
me: Apart from ETSU only Troy university.
vo: why don't you want Troy University?
me: Two reasons mainly: one, my friend at ETSU will help me settle down, two; Troy university gave me computer science alone while ETSU gave me computer and information sciences, which is the course I really desire to study.
vo: why, what's special in it?
me: (This is my selling point) The information science included is an interdisciplinary course that deals with the collection, dissemination, analysis, retrieval and protection of information.
vo: so how is this relevant to you?
me: with the little time I spent at my mum's clinic, I discover that patient's record are kept manually, not only in her clinic but in most local hospitals around. So, I'm looking towards introducing something called EMR - Electronic Medical Record (Vo started looking in my eyes and seemed interested, so I continued). This is a systematized collection of a patient's electronically,( I paused because I wanted saying it word-for-word but had forgotten, for like 8 seconds I was mute, vo was staring at me and my hand but I held my handkerchief with my both hands, so I decided to explain it my way), The collection of a patient's medical information electronically, this record can be shared across different health settings, the information includes: A laboratory test results, immunization status, medical history, allergies, personal statistics like age and weight etc.(I thought I had lost it)
vo: What will they do with this information?
me: This information has been proven to aid treatment by 5%, it makes the medical personnel's work easy as they'll know the approach to take, thats it.
vo: Do you have any qualification after high school?
me: yes, I have OND in computer science.
vo: can you tell me courses you took during your study?
me: Introduction to statistics, calculus and some computer basics. The Nigeria school curriculum focuses more on theoretical part (I know he didn't ask, but he nodded in agreement).
vo: What is your plan Post-graduation?
me: (At this point I was a little relieved cos I didn't expect to get that far) I want to introduce the EMR I told you about(he noded again), first, to my mum's clinic, then with the help of the government, reach out to other local hospital around and make realize the benefit of this method.
vo: have you traveled out before?
me: I've not had a reason to until now.
vo: Who is your sponsor
me: My mum is my sponsor.
Lo and behold, a white paper was staring at me. I was so happy no document asked, nothing.
I was so happy that when I got to the door I forgot how to open it, the security man said press, I pressed but it didn't open, so he started smiling and came to open it for me.

Tips: Most of those people know the kind of problems we face in this country, so look for a that thing related to your field of study that has been eluding this country.
Benefits of this:
i. You indirectly dictates the direction the interview will take
ii. you give them the notion that you plan to come back after your study even before you get to that part.
iii. they see you as a visioneer.
Above all, pray, only God made it possible I'm sure, because I messed up big time.
Thank you all for your effort on this thread.

Am going to ETSU 4 Computer and info science too. Check ur pm.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 05, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Sorry about your delay..... did you have both interview in Abuja .?.

While sucess can be got anywhere . If it me if abuja delays me the next time i would go to Lagos
Hahahahaha. I thought they said you should go to closest location. I prefer folks going to where they would get visas. Even if it's in Jericho. Just go. Success can be gotten from afar. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fenix: 1:38pm On Aug 05, 2017
Okesima24:
Sad day....

Me: I'm going to Harrisburg University because they offer a concentration in CAPM (defined it) in their Msc Project management and I spoke with professor Stephen Onu, a Nigerian, who has an ongoing research on Project Execution using Agile lean model and he has invited me to join his research upon my arrival.

Me: Yes I considered Ashland University, (vo cuts in) but why did you pick harrisburg? I wanted to say the admission is pending but he didn't let me. So I said the concentration harrisburg has is a unique advantage for me and later said that Ashland admission is pending.

Me: I did my university degree at University of Abuja, studied political science and graduated in 2008 after which I joined a media company as a proofreader and from there I joined maritimo resources, a construction firm, and later to where I presently work. At so and so company as Sales operations manager and listed all my duties.

Vo; what does he do?

Then he keeps typing for sometime and in my mind I was like finally I have gotten it......then all of a sudden blue paper.

I am so very sorry for this delay. I can only imagine how it must hurt. Honestly, reading through this transcript, I am still struggling to find out what went wrong also. i hope someone else with more experience can explain what they think happened. I have read transcripts where the answers given were not even as detailed as this, yet they got the visa.

One thing we cannot see from transcripts is things like body language and tone. From what I have seen, those are important factors as well.

All the best next time. I pray something works out for you.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2017
Okesima24:
Sad day....
If you recall I was the guy denied on June 22nd and the VO didn't return my passport to me. That's how I found this thread through a friend. After back and forth for two weeks I finally retrieved the passport and a mail saying I should apply again at no cost. Called the call center to book the free appointment and they did. On getting there on 24th of July for my interview, was told the mail they sent me was a mistake, that I should pay another 64k and come back. I did and here I am now. My full transcript below.

I was interviewed by a white guy in window 9. I was happy it was a guy at least. And was so confident all through.

Vo; what does he do?

My people I am so sad. But I thank ProfOjah1234 for his help. He really helped me and everything almost went as me and him discussed except for the delay. Sigh! Were do I get another 64k? School resumes on 25th. Damn I'm sad.
This plat form has really helped me and that's why I decided that I must write this transcript.
Sorry. Just take some time off. Do not return there immediately, otherwise you will be denied again.

If you can get admission in another school, much better institution of course and scholarship, you would be fine.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fenix: 1:46pm On Aug 05, 2017
Okesima24:
Sad day....
This is not the transcript I thought I'll be writing today

Then again, it might not be you. It might be your university. From what I read online, Harrisburg U was put on probation and its accreditation was removed in 2014. It was later restored in 2016. Who knows if that is a factor. The university may still be struggling and could be on a blacklist of schools.

Please note that I am just speculating.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
Fenix:

Then again, it might not be you. It might be your university. From what I read online, Harrisburg U was put on probation and its accreditation was removed in 2014. It was later restored in 2016. Who knows if that is a factor. The university may still be struggling and could be on a blacklist of schools.

Please note that I am just speculating.

Cc Okesima24

I agree ...There are so many well established uni in america so many. I personally will not attend one who just got accredited in 2009. .....make them learn and grow with home students .... This probably a one building school....why travel all the way for that??

Why did you pick that school., surely there are other better schools with less tuition
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Folsy(f): 1:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
Sup y'll..
Any ETSU student here (male/female) looking for an accommodation @ Johnson City?
Buzz me @ link2_fola@yahoo.com.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okesima24: 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
@Fenix, thank you for your suggestion. Could be true. But 3 of my friends got admission to that same school. 2 of them towards end of last year and one who we work in the same office got his in that same Abuja in April and is now in US.
The other two got theirs in Lagos embassy.
So I really don't know.
But I will consider your suggestion to relax for now and perhaps pick other schools.
Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OGreene: 2:31pm On Aug 05, 2017
If you get admitted to Ashland, would you opt for that?

Okesima24:
@Fenix, thank you for your suggestion. Could be true. But 3 of my friends got admission to that same school. 2 of them towards end of last year and one who we work in the same office got his in that same Abuja in April and is now in US.
The other two got theirs in Lagos embassy.
So I really don't know.
But I will consider your suggestion to relax for now and perhaps pick other schools.
Thank you all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
ril1adigun:

Oakland Califonia. Male.......hes been at jfk airport due to air marocs change of schedule which messed up his tym schedules....

What happened to hotels??

What if he is a serial killer, pervert or paedophile? cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
ril1adigun:
Nairalanders....pls is dere anyone in califonia who can accommodate a nairalander at the moment pls......thanks in anticipation.....

Hotels no dey dat place?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2017
so so ETSU upandan.. hia!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Oluwakemi77: 3:00pm On Aug 05, 2017
Please, can anyone recommend a cheap hotel near murtala Mohammed Airport.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Oloniyan(m): 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2017
Folsy:
Sup y'll..
Any ETSU student here (male/female) looking for an accommodation @ Johnson City?
Buzz me @ link2_fola@yahoo.com.

just mailed you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by shegspearl(m): 5:18pm On Aug 05, 2017
This is not fair Oooo. my messages have been deleted. all i asked was for mock interviews from the gurus in other to get prepared for a Monday interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mjksho(m): 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2017

The flight took off at 1:19pm in Lagos. It was 10mins early. Boarding was easy too. We accessed the aircraft through the tarmac.

I sat close to the engine so there was a lot of noise. But luckily, I had bought a noise cancellation headset which helped a lot. Take-off was great too.

The flight was a little boring as I sat beside a Ghanaian lady who I suspect is mute; we didn't say anything to each other through the entire 6hr trip. My advice is that you come with your movie and music. The movie and music onboard may actually bore you to death.

The food was great too. We were served twice on the LOS-CAI leg. The aircraft doesn't have a USB charging port so if your craft is a B737-800, come with enough juice.

We touched down a few mins to 7pm in Cairo. The skyline was beautiful. Everywhere was lit and we were taken to the hotel after waiting for about two hours or so.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mjksho(m): 5:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
More pictures.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Beautyaddy: 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2017
Okesima24:
Sad day....

Sorry about the denial.

Does the US embassy open on Saturdays for Visa interviews?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:44pm On Aug 05, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Sorry about the denial.

Does the US embassy open on Saturdays for Visa interviews?

I have seen some Saturday transcript...... so yes
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okesima24: 5:45pm On Aug 05, 2017
@Beautyaddy, yes they do. I had the my interview today in Abuja.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by obone4real: 6:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
mjksho:
More pictures.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dennison4luv: 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
,,,,greetingsss guys,,,,, pease i have a question,,,,,can an immigration lawyer intercede with the USA consular officer's decision on visa refusal / denial base on US INA law 214b as to review the consular's decision and reaffirm to the consular that applicant has strong ties with his home country and has a true intention of studying in USA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 8:23pm On Aug 05, 2017
dennison4luv:
,,,,greetingsss guys,,,,, pease i have a question,,,,,can an immigration lawyer intercede with the USA consular officer's decision on visa refusal / denial base on US INA law 214b as to review the consular's decision and reaffirm to the consular that applicant has strong ties with his home country and has a true intention of studying in USA

I may be mistaken, but I think there's a clause in the 214b that states "this decision cannot be appealed..."
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Folsy(f): 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2017
Tobsam237:

Max: 15000USD @ 360

For now.. ? There's no limit and d rate is N310 per $
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Folsy(f): 8:26pm On Aug 05, 2017
Oloniyan:

just mailed you
OK... I'll chx.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Folsy(f): 8:29pm On Aug 05, 2017
Kagame:

Hey how do I contact you for the books? Sent you a PM after your first post but no response.
Sorry for d late response. Leave me a message on link2_fola@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ElDeeVee(m): 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2017
Folsy:

For now.. ? There's no limit and d rate is N310 per $

310/$ Where abeg

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.