Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (697249 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:55pm On Aug 06, 2017
kallowdean:
Gurus,
Is it TRUE we can no longer make use of our popular Ghana must-go BAG as a baggage carrier
I'm traveling with Qatar airways, please can I use Ghana must-go bag as my second baggage bag.

Lol...it difficult to move around dragging ghana must go .... good if you say its banned. It hideous as a travel luggage
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by fisayoprisca: 10:27pm On Aug 06, 2017
larawah:
Good morning everyone. I am a silent follower and my visa was approved on the 21st of July 2017. I want to thank Almighty God for everything. The journey wasn't easy from looking for schools, to writing exams, to paying sevis and finally getting the Visa. I also want to thank Lagosismyhome and texrem. They replied my pm even when it wasn't convenient. Nairaland has really done a lot of tutoring and I'm glad I came upon this thread as at the time I did.
Congrats . I would like to ask a question, was your of account showing their both names?

Here is my transcript.

V.o: Good morning
Me: Good morning
V.o: why are you going to the U.S
Me: I'm going for my masters in economics at the city college of new York.
V.o: How did you hear about this school
V.o: I was looking for a school that offers masters in economics so I used Google.com, msinus.com, usnews.com and I streamlined using my area of concentration which is finance.
V.o: How many schools did you apply to.
Me: Two schools
V.o: name the other one
Me: Georgia state university
V.o: where did you have your other degree
Me: I had my bachelors degree in economics at obafemi awolowo university ile-ife
V.o: Masters in economics right
Me..Yes
V.o...Differentiate between micro and macro economics
Me...micro economics is the study of smaller economic unit in the society while macro economics is the study of aggregate economic unit of the society like inflation, GDP, national income..Here, v.o was just nodding.
V.o..who is sponsoring
Me..My brother and his wife
V.o...what do they do
Me..They are both registered nurses
V.o ..and they live in new York..looking at his system
Me..yes they live in new York
They live in new York. I was actually scared here like they live in new York and I'm going to new York.
V.o..I will be approving your visa and he gave me the white paper
Me..Thank you. You are the best...I did not wait to hear the rest.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Silva094: 10:35pm On Aug 06, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I did not say its a minus.... what is the basis of conditional.? ... there might be several reasons ...in this case is it lack of toefl or poor toefl ?
lack of TOEFL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ovieigho(m): 11:11pm On Aug 06, 2017
Silva094:
Please nairalanders and travel gurus in the house help me. I was given a conditional admission pending when I finish my ESL program but I don't know if my conditional admission is a minus in the embassy, please people with experience so advice me... Thanks
this happened to my friend last year and the V.O told him not to waste such huge money to get ESL in USA when he can simply do TOEFL in Nigeria.
Don't try to go to embassy with such conditional offer ! The refusal is 90%

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OGreene: 11:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
Did you apply recently?? This 3rd quarter

Folsy:

Zenith bank. Paying through form A
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 12:56am On Aug 07, 2017
Devuchka:
Ok let me elaborate a little bit so that the gurus in the house can help me out....so I was just accepted into Emory University for Masters I am to receive my I 20 this week along with a letter saying it's ok for me to start classes late, I have a current B1/B2 running and have been in and out of the states on B1/B2 severally over the past about 8yrs.....I really don't want to miss this fall semester, I am thinking of asking for an expedited appointment....any advice??

at last! someone with a good school. i'd be willing to bet you won't be denied... fingers crossed.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Guyz5050: 1:13am On Aug 07, 2017
My gurus in the house... I greet you all.
Please quick question, must your sponsor be related to you? Can't a friend sponsor you?

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mudi1012: 1:40am On Aug 07, 2017
please who is in New York ,I'm at Laguadia airport I need a play to crash for the night ..my flight is 7am tomorrow morning
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mudi1012: 1:43am On Aug 07, 2017
pls who's there I've tried getting an hotel bit it didn't go through because I don't have a credit card ...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Folsy(f): 2:14am On Aug 07, 2017
OGreene:
Did you apply recently?? This 3rd quarter

less than a week
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:49am On Aug 07, 2017
TWoods:

at last! someone with a good school. i'd be willing to bet you won't be denied... fingers crossed.

. . . someone getting admission to a highly "rated" school is not a reason to scream "voila I finally got a visa"

You have to show "ties" ( I dont know the heck of people that came up with that term at DOS or probably Congress) to your home country which is the KOKO!!!!!!

The applicant already has a valid visa going to 8 years as alleged and has not "misused" the reason he was given that visa.

On that basis I think he will coast home but I wont bet a penny
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:22am On Aug 07, 2017
Silva094:
lack of TOEFL

That one is not too hard to correct ....compare the cost you pay for a semester if ESL to 50k TOEFL Cost. ... much cheaper to take TOELF. ..

If I were you ., i would do TOELF except you want to dash the embassy your visa feee because the VO Knows Nigerians dont need ESL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 4:53am On Aug 07, 2017
Guyz5050:
Please quick question, must your sponsor be related to you? Can't a friend sponsor you?

Thanks.

Put yourself in the shoes of the VO... would you believe it if someone told you a friend was willing to pay thousands of dollars to put someone else through school?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OjaP: 6:50am On Aug 07, 2017
TWoods:

Well, only because he has a good travel history. I've seen people who have been denied even with an Ivy league admission.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 07, 2017
obone4real:

��� u want to look like Osofia... a bag u can pull on wheels is better reduces stress.. I think Nigeria must Go is better.
cheesy grin cheesy

Yeah! Now, it's no longer Ghana must go. It's Nigeria must go. Hahahahaha.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 07, 2017
ovieigho:
this happened to my friend last year and the V.O told him not to waste such huge money to get ESL in USA when he can simply do TOEFL in Nigeria.
Yeah it is a waste of time and money.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:14am On Aug 07, 2017
OjaP:

Well, only because he has a good travel history. I've seen people who have been denied even with an Ivy league admission.

Yeap i have two friends MBA wharton business school UPenn ....same time with me

Both were Denied first time but went a week later and then given

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ovieigho(m): 7:18am On Aug 07, 2017
Abimmbolar:
Hello house,So I reached USA on sunday morning and I thought to share my travel/POE experience.
Left nigeria on 29th on Qatar airways with a 2hrs stopover at Doha.Qatar was great with the flight hospitality and there was soooo much to eat and movies too.At a point,I skipped my meal pack and just said I was fine...make I no go constipate.
Fast forward to JFK POE ....it was a smooth experience,especially after I have read of somany scary experience on here.Got to the officer and he asked wat course I studied in ug..told him.and mentioned wat I will be studying for msc too.He was like cool,looked thru my i-20 probably for my sevis and then took fingerprints and then I got stamped.Customs was so smooth too,my box was not opened and the officers were all nice,although I declared all I had in the form.
My stay at Ny was mind blowing...stayed at queens and visited brooklyn and few days later,I left for missouri(sch).
My advice..pls dont pack toomuch load like me ooo.I escaped paying for extra luggage on qatar but for local flight here,luggage is damn expensive.I paid an extra $60 for extra luggage at the airport after paying $94 for bags when booking my flight,seat fare gaan was only $84.Dont be like me,pack just wats needed.
So far,U.S has been an awesome experience for me since I neva travelled out of the country before.I'm thrilled with the level of advancement,security and quality of life.I wee not say anything abt Murtala mohammed international airport until you people sees Hammad airport(Doha) and luguardia airport that is supposed to be a local airport here.
To all others coming on this journey...Safe trip and best of luck.

pls what method do u use in booking your Connecting flight from NY to your destination?
Can I book with my GtB master card?
Pls I need urgent response
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 07, 2017
Guyz5050:

Thanks.
Hahahaha. How could a friend sponsor you? How could he spend thousands of dollars on you? You better fill in uncle before returning here to say the VO delayed you, not knowing that you caused the problem for yourself.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Emmyirab(m): 8:45am On Aug 07, 2017
Visa denied few minutes ago. Lagos embassy.

Vo- Where are you going to in the US?
Me- Brigham Young University Idaho
Vo- why did you choose ByuI?
Me- Apart from the fact that they have great mentorship programs
They offer great domain for real life related projects for undergraduates, for example earlier this year, a technology building was erected and equipped with materials like candence simulator and 3d printers. I believe this kinda place will help me achieve my dreams of being a practising engineer when i graduate
(she was just cutting me off here and switching off the mic, she was being introduced to someone. this kinda made me stammer)
Vo- Are you mormon?
Me- No
Vo-How many schools did you apply to?
Me- 3 then named them
Vo- why did you apply to only Midwest schools?
Me- (this really took me off balance, i wasn't expecting it)
I just thought of one rubbish and said because of the weather(me know say i done mess up) She raised her eyebrow. then I said schools in the Midwest had great domain for real life related projects(nonsense upon rubbish).
(from here i just wanted to say don't worry give me my passport and i20, i know whats next..)
Vo-How did you hear about the school?
Me- a friend who is a student of the school told me bout it then I did my research.
Vo-Do you have a relative there?
Me-No
Vo- Sorry bla bla bla bla bla.

Reapplying soon though
who know the next available date.
Cc: Texrem, Lagosismyhome, Walspring

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Mac2016(m): 9:02am On Aug 07, 2017
Guys, pls I need some info. I plan to commence studies in the US by Spring 2018 but My passport expires February 2018 (meaning that presently, it is six months less than expiration date as required at embassy). Can I be allowed to renew my passport before expiration in February?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by chinemomah2020(m): 9:09am On Aug 07, 2017
kallowdean:
Gurus,
Is it TRUE we can no longer make use of our popular Ghana must-go BAG as a baggage carrier
I'm traveling with Qatar airways, please can I use Ghana must-go bag as my second baggage bag.

Who said you can no longer use Ghana-must go Bag? My close friend traveled with Qatar airways this January(Spring 2017) and he used Ghana must go as a second bag to pack all his food stuffs and there was no issues or query. so in line with your question Yes, you can use Ghana must go.. have a safe trip!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by iekene(m): 9:17am On Aug 07, 2017
Greetings From California...

I have been trying to settle down, is been tasking but fun. I dont know anyone here but God Has Been Faithful. Have an apartment now (although quite expensive) . Travelling from Nigeria was quite a journey i could write a book from the experience.

POE was almost smooth. I had no Food items and really nothing to declare. Was still subjected to secondary screening (if that is what the yellow box means) nothing special, they just rechecked my bag to see if i really had no food items and i was told to Go.

I used Frankfurt airlines from ABJ. The Attendants were nice but food i couldn't understand. I guess it was good cause people were eatig it, its probably just the village spirit in me that couldn't eat.

I haven't even gotten a sim card yet, went in search of lyca mobile from the stores on their website, still couldnt find any. I have ordered online and hope its delivered soon..

If you are coming here, Just have it in mind you would need a Car... undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by chinemomah2020(m): 9:20am On Aug 07, 2017
ovieigho:

The bold is funny cheesy But very true..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:29am On Aug 07, 2017
chinemomah2020:

Who said you can no longer use Ghana-must go Bag? My close friend traveled with Qatar airways this January(Spring 2017) and he used Ghana must go as a second bag to pack all his food stuffs and there was no issues or query. so in line with your question Yes, you can use Ghana must go.. have a safe trip!

January till now is a very long time.... rules do change.

Although i dont know much about ghana must go
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by chinemomah2020(m): 9:33am On Aug 07, 2017
Guyz5050:

Thanks.

Humm.. A friend willing to spend a huge amount of $$ for your education abroad, that friend must be a God sent from heaven. Anyway, is possible BUT you must be ready and well prepare to convince the VO on that.. Goodluck man!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fodio84: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2017
Nairalanders I don't know if this question is for this room, pls kindly attend to it, I am a family man with 2 kids, presently i work with a micro finance institute, I intend to travel to US with a vocational training program for like 3-6 months and am sponsoring myself for the training, do I have a chance of securing? Pls ask me questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by iekene(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2017
Lamzee:

Bro, pls drop your contact, I want to ask some questions

PM Me..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by shegspearl(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2017
I was denied an hour ago at the Lagos Consulate. Thank you so much @Akins2016. i know i let you down cos i didn't tackle the questions as hard as we prepared. i messed up a lil bit during the interview. God Bless you bro. i will try again and hopefully i have a better luck next time out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by chinemomah2020(m): 10:05am On Aug 07, 2017
Emmyirab:
Visa denied few minutes ago. Lagos embassy.

Vo- why did you apply to only Midwest schools?
Me- (this really took me off balance, i wasn't expecting it)
I just thought of one rubbish and said because of the weather(me know say i done mess up) She raised her eyebrow. then I said schools in the Midwest had great domain for real life related projects (nonsense upon rubbish).
(from here i just wanted to say don't worry give me my passport and i20, i know whats next..)

Vo-How did you hear about the school?
Me- a friend who is a student of the school told me bout it then I did my research.
Vo-Do you have a relative there?
Me-No
Vo- Sorry bla bla bla bla bla.

So sorry for your delay Bro but the bold got me laughing cheesy big time. The most important thing is that you were able to identify your mistakes immediately and where you messed up which is very key.. so try work on those areas and also be relax when answering the vo's questions that will help you articulate well..Goodluck on your next interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Emmyirab(m): 10:13am On Aug 07, 2017
chinemomah2020:

So sorry for your delay Bro but the bold got me laughing cheesy big time. The most important thing is that you were able to identify your mistakes immediately and where you messed up which is very key.. so try work on those areas and also be relax when answering the vo's questions that will help you articulate well..Goodluck on your next interview.
Lol.. I already knew what was gon happen..
Thanks anyways
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fenix: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Yeap i have two friends MBA wharton business school UPenn ....same time with me

Both were Denied first time but went a week later and then given

Hi.

That's very interesting. I wonder why on earth they would have been denied? Please do you have any clue as to why? What changed between the first time they were denied and the next time they were granted/ It was only a week's difference. This might help others.

Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.