Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,261 members, 7,815,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) (50567 Views)

Herdsmen Spotted Around 2am In Awka This Morning- Pictures / Police Already Flooded Lekki Toll Gate Against Protest Over Increase Of Toll Fee / 3-Hour Non-Stop Rain Leaves Ifako Roads Heavily Flooded In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 9:12pm On Jul 08, 2017
allrightsir:

absolute nonsense!!!

Please take a look at google earth and see the elevation of most places on the island, you will see that they are on average 2-10m ABOVE sea level.

Elevation: Generally at or below sea level, some parts already under threat

http://www.encyclopedia.com/places/africa/nigeria-political-geography/lagos

Water released from those cold regions now drifts towards warmer regions and cause the ocean level to the rise above the normal.” The implication of this for Lagos, he said, is that “most parts of Lagos State below the sea level are affected. So if we have a sea surge and it is not controlled then we are in trouble.

There is much to fear as Lagos is one of the cities in West Africa adjudged vulnerable to ocean surge

http://www.informationng.com/2012/10/lagos-may-no-longer-exist-in-50-years-as-a-result-of-climate-change-if-nothing-is-done.html

Lagos is mostly below sea level and when there's any kind of rise in sea level, we surfer the effects with flooding and run offs.

I'll ignore the rest of your post simply because of redundancy and the fact that you started off with flawed and other way around assertions about Lagos state and sea level.

When they talk about rising sea level in Lagos state and even the prediction about Lagos going under water in less than 50 years, it means they are talking about Lagos state being under and not above.

Read up on Lagos state and threats of rising sea level before your next post or come back.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
`
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 9:38pm On Jul 08, 2017
allrightsir:

BULLSHIT!!!

I dont think you understand what sea level is. Youve heard that saying "water finds it's level"? Next time you are crossing Falomo Bridge, look at the water level....that is the sea level and if Ikoyi that is surrounded by water is not flooded, you cannot use sea level as an excuse for the flooding in Lekki

I also dont think you understand the simple concept that water flows downwards not up and water that cannot flow will accumulate.

High brow, high risk The flooding menace of Lagos’ rich enclaves

Worst hit were many roads leading in and out of Lekki, Victoria Island and Ikoyi, where scores of people were seen wadding through large puddles of water that had taken over different sections of both communities and their roads.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/high-brow-high-risk-%E2%80%A2the-flooding-menace-lagos-rich-enclaves/

It's really not by force to comment.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by ooshinibos: 9:39pm On Jul 08, 2017
989900:

Tsunamis are rare occurrences -- they are very devastating!
Torrential rainfall is responsible for over 90% of heavy flooding.
There is a lot of materials on Google and YouTube.
I understand what you mean but lets not give the useless Nigerian govt excuse not to do their jobs ..those areas in Dubai , Tokyo etc ..have drainage system , can you imagine what will happen if there was no drainage system ....we are lucky in Nigeria that we don't have this kind of typhoon rains ..the last flood that happened in England, the head of the local council was fired and fined for not making adequate preparation for the flood , will the this ever happen in run down Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 08, 2017
`
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 9:46pm On Jul 08, 2017
ooshinibos:

I understand what you mean but lets not give the useless Nigerian govt excuse not to do their jobs ..those areas in Dubai , Tokyo etc ..have drainage system , can you imagine what will happen if there was no drainage system ....we are lucky in Nigeria that we don't have this kind of typhoon rains ..the last flood that happened in England, the head of the local council was fired and fined for not making adequate preparation for the flood , will the this ever happen in run down Nigeria

http://akinwunmiambode.com/lagos-state-government-begins-construction-of-magodo-shangisha-drainage-canal/

While there can never be 100% drainage to combat flooding in any society, even on advanced countries, but suggesting that Lagos state is not doing anything about drainage or not constructing any is just ignorance and flawed assertions.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 08, 2017
`
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 9:56pm On Jul 08, 2017
allrightsir:

ofcourse some areas with poor drainage will be affected

This thing is common sense, you can choose to use it if you have or not. The record amount of rainfall EVER in Nigeria is 600MM in Akwa Ibom and that was took 1 whole month. All the places that got flooded today are all well above sea level. The flood is not die to sea level but drainage.....good night.

Those who want to think will think and those who dont wont. If this flood was a sea level problem the whole of Ikoyi will be flooded because the water surrounding Ikoyi is at sea level.

I really dont hink this deserves more effort on my part, you either get it or you dont

You ran your mouth that Ikoyi doesn't get flooded, but I dispelled that ignorance with facts, not it's some other rubbish.

You've spewed so many baseless, ignorant and fact less rubbish that I've dispelled with documented facts and links, but you are yet to show us anything credible to support your rubbish.

Even asserting that Lagos is above the sea level when in fact it's the other way around per local and international experts and also state government officials shows that you are more than bankrupt regarding this discussion.

What I don't deserve is your meaningless and fact less word of mouth that amounts to nothing but just meaningless talk.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 9:59pm On Jul 08, 2017
allrightsir:

My friend it's not about building, all the ones they built in Lekki are blocked with sand and water hyacinths.. have you seen any that flows?

The one in Lekki is taken over by weeds, the one in osapa same thing.

Please, I've had enough of your baseless and non factual rubbish.

Try not to quote me without facts, pictures or documented evidence.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 08, 2017
`
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2017
[s]
allrightsir:

You did not answer my issues about drainage and town planning and the fact that all our homes and building are convered in concrete, instead you focused on what I said about Ikoyi.

Like i said use your brain. I also said go to google earth if you really want to know parts that are above or close to sea level.

I really dont have much else to say to to youm you deserve the contempth with which i respond because you are talking like a slowpoke
[/s]

Why shouldn't I focus on your lies and ignorance? Do you think I'm here to swallow your lies and ignorance?

If it pains you so much that politicians are not doing enough, then get off your ass and go contest for office and circle the whole of Lagos state with drainage instead of crying on the internet.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 08, 2017
`
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2017
allrightsir:

The problem with our country is we have so many educated illiterates. people who lack the capacity for ccritical thinking That you can say that Lagos is below sea level just highlights your lack of common sense.

You ignorantly asserted that Lagos is above the sea level and I provided facts and links that proved you wrong and ignorant while you on the other hand provided nothing to back up your ignorant nonsense, so who is the uneducated illiterate here if not you.

If you are going to argue or dispute other people's claims, do it with documented evidence, facts and credible links, not just running your mouth like a roadside layman with bankrupt mentality.

I asked you before, do you know what sea level is?

Very dumb question I must say.

It's either Lagos is above or below the sea level and your ignorant claim that it's above was just ignorant, redundant and flawed and it's even worse since you are yet to show us factual evidence that Lagos is indeed above the sea level.

You see the lagoon everyday and yet with your education you chosse to beleive Lagos is below sea level just because some faceless person who credentials you dont know tells you Lagos is below sea level.

This has nothing to do with my own education, it's more about your own ignorance and poor intellectual curiosity since the fact that Lagos is below the sea level didn't come from me, it came from local and international weather experts.

See of irrational and illogical you think and formulate your screwed up thoughts?

You know I really hate that I share the same country with ignoramuses like yourself because with people like you the country can never move forward.

You really should hate yourself for beign dumb, ignorant and unwilling to learn to save your own lazy and pathetic life.

common sense 101: water finds it's level and water flows downwards, if lagos were below sea level, you wont need rain for Lagos to be flooded, the sea will come to you

Confronting climate change doom in Lagos

Rising sea levels will increase the frequency or likelihood of extreme sea level events and resultant flooding. The risks to the sea level rise are not confined to the coast itself. In many cases flooding may impact areas some distance from the sea for example along estuaries, rivers, lakes and lagoons.

In July, 2011, Lagos was engulfed by floods precipitated by torrential rainfall of about three weeks to herald the devastating effect of climate change on the city. Hence the need to take precautions even as it is being predicted that West African coastal lines would be submerged by 2099.

Dr. Isaac Ayodele holds a PhD. D.sc degree in Public Health from Atlantic International University, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. His specialization is in confronting global climate change.

https://guardian.ng/features/science/confronting-climate-change-doom-in-lagos/

So, is Dr Isaac Ayodele, holder of PhD. D.sc degree in Public Health from Atlantic International University, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. His specialization is in confronting global climate change also an illiterate?

Obviously, you are the dumb, ignorant and pathetic illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by ooshinibos: 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2017
deomelo:

While there can never be 100% drainage to combat flooding in any society, even on advanced countries, but suggesting that Lagos state is not doing anything about drainage or not constructing any is just ignorance and flawed assertions.

good report but this should have been done earlier by previous government ...
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 11:15pm On Jul 08, 2017
ooshinibos:

good report but this should have been done earlier by previous government ...

You are right, they need to do more, but while constructing and expanding the drainage system is good and should be done, emphasis should be placed on inland man mad reservoirs in every neighborhood to receive and store rain water.

Previous admin I'm sure did their best even though not enough...

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by marylandcakes: 12:08am On Jul 09, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

But the residents are not complaining, mainland peeps should just stop the unnecessary hating.

That the bitter truth.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 09, 2017
marylandcakes:

That the bitter truth.

Most mainland residents fantasize moving to the island. Even if Ikoyi na swimming pool, them no mind relocate.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Origin(f): 12:51am On Jul 09, 2017
Wow even roads.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Annie939(f): 3:21am On Jul 09, 2017
the governor is really working
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by marylandcakes: 5:45am On Jul 09, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Most mainland residents fantasize moving to the island. Even if Ikoyi na swimming pool, no mind relocate.

Ikoyi is much better in my opinion.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 09, 2017
marylandcakes:

Ikoyi is much better in my opinion.

Depends on the part of Ikoyi o.

Parkview na disaster compared to some parts of phase 1 and VGC.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 09, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Most mainland residents fantasize moving to the island. Even if Ikoyi na swimming pool, no mind relocate.

Come buy your canoe...
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by IsheriNorthGRA: 9:00am On Jul 09, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Lies.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2017
IsheriNorthGRA:

Lies.

Oga, I know say u wan sell property for Isheri North, but I am giving you a truthful opinion.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by IsheriNorthGRA: 8:09am On Jul 10, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Oga, I know say u wan sell property for Isheri North, but I am giving you a truthful opinion.

Lies I say. The price of a plot in Magodo is costlier than any part of Lekki.

You guys should stop thinking like babies. Not everyone is crazy about highrises along the road.

Home is where the comfort it. Island and mainland have serene environments and ghettos.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 10, 2017
IsheriNorthGRA:

Lies I say. The price of a plot in Magodo is costlier than any part of Lekki.

You guys should stop thinking like babies. Not everyone is crazy about highrises along the road.

Home is where the comfort it. Island and mainland have serene environments and ghettos.

Not disputing that,just like some parts of Ikeja gra is like banana island equivalent.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by ooshinibos: 3:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
deomelo:

You are right, they need to do more, but while constructing and expanding the drainage system is good and should be done, emphasis should be placed on inland man mad reservoirs in every neighborhood to receive and store rain water.

Previous admin I'm sure did their best even though not enough...
I agree with you ..we need people like you in Nigeria , am impressed by your insight

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by newdawn2017(f): 2:32pm On Jul 02, 2018
what does lekki concession company so with d funds realised 4rm d toll gate passage? I am wondering as I am seeing dis. Yorubas d owners of d land re heavy cowards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mele Kyari: Nigerians Should Prepare For 3 Months Trouble Over Oil Price Crash / IGP Begs For Vehicles In Abuja But They Are Wasting Away In Lagos (pics) / Joshua Dariye Begs Adebukola Banjoko: "Show Mercy. The Prisons Are Congested’'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.