Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,235 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) (50565 Views)

Herdsmen Spotted Around 2am In Awka This Morning- Pictures / Police Already Flooded Lekki Toll Gate Against Protest Over Increase Of Toll Fee / 3-Hour Non-Stop Rain Leaves Ifako Roads Heavily Flooded In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by claremont(m): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2017
deomelo:

No city or area on the surface of the earth is immune to flooding even in London, England

Even in NY, USA

[img]http://cbsnewyork.files./2014/08/4535637401.jpg[/img]
Even on Japan.

Even in Houston, TX USA

Mother nature wrecking carnage and flooding everywhere has nothing to do with being developed or having the best drainage system.
Stop making ill-informed and ignorant comments.

Posting pictures of isolated cases of flooding in some cities around the world doesn't take away the fact that there is an endemic problem of flooding in VI and Lekki that needs to be addressed. The problem in VI and Lekki is due to a plethora of factors which include high sea bed, lack of planning, corruption etc. I would argue that it's even more ''ill-informed and ignorant'' for anyone to suggest that there is nothing that can be done to address/ameliorate the flooding in VI and Lekki. The lengths you went to to dig up photos of isolated flooding in other world cities in other to justify the result of endemic lack of planning in VI/Lekki is surprising.

3 Likes

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by martineverest(m): 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Deep down you and many mainland residents, your ambition is to move to Island.
Island have never been my thought.....
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2017
claremont:

Posting pictures of isolated cases of flooding in some cities around the world doesn't take away the fact that there is an endemic problem of flooding in VI and Lekki that needs to be addressed. The problem in VI and Lekki is due to a plethora of factors which include high sea bed, lack of planning, corruption etc. I would argue that it's even more ''ill-informed and ignorant'' for anyone to suggest that there is nothing that can be done to address/ameliorate the flooding in VI and Lekki. The lengths you went to to dig up photos of isolated flooding in other world cities in other to justify the result of endemic lack of planning in VI/Lekki is surprising.

1. You can do better by explaining to us with facts the factors responsible for flooding in NY, Japan, Houston and Canada.

Is it corruption, lack of planning or high sea level. What's responsible for flooding in the places I listed?

2. I never asserted that or suggested that nothing should be done, I only let you and your kind know with pictures that flooding is not limited to Lagos and that flooding occurs in even the most developed cities in the world, learn how to read and comprehend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by pretty16(f): 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2017
Myself2:

shocked shocked shocked
Honey where is this

Lol. That's lekki . Admiralty way.

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by kelzgie: 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2017
Danielmoore:
I thought they said Lagos is like london wink
Lekki is on d island...the lagoon crossed its bank...flooding is the aftermath....so...
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by bignero: 4:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

this is not a result of poor planning.
When nature wants to strike, you can't do anything about it.

Edit
For those quoting me, this was a road for years.
We went to work in the morning and came back to meet this in the evening.

I know this is a water logged area, so is Lekki.

oga dont deceive yourself

funny how nature hates lekki and loves attacking her

the whole nation is badly planned...step outside the shores of naija and ull understand
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by bayocanny: 4:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
VickyRotex:

I've been well! Thank you. Yea kind of, Summer is going on well. Bless God.
How are you? Have you refired? Don't give up! Or you can even try EE, I learnt it's quite easier and faster now.
Modified!
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2017
Baroba:

I respectfully disagree sir, if this was due to hurricane or some sort of Tsunami that's understandable, but we are talking normal torrential downpour; It is happening too often to be attributed to nature, it boils down to lack of adequate planning, poor drainage system, poor road construction and everything else you can think of.. Come 2018 we will be having the same discussion all over again, no be today..

I agree
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by VickyRotex(f): 4:45pm On Jul 08, 2017
bayocanny:

Good to know you are doing great overthere..I'm good jare. Have not refire, honestly I don't want to give up but the way things are going on here for me seems complicated. If not for my phone that doesn't support WhatsApp any longer I would have message u on there, because have got some things to discuss with u. Don't know if we should talk on here or I should sent u a msg on Facebook sad

Eyah, pele. It's well! God will do it. smiley

It depends on you. If it's not so personal to you, we can discuss here. And if you prefer Facebook, no worries.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by 989900: 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2017
deomelo:

No city or area on the surface of the earth is immune to flooding even in London, England

Even in NY, USA

[img]http://cbsnewyork.files./2014/08/4535637401.jpg[/img]

Even on Japan.

Even in Houston, TX USA

Mother nature wrecking carnage and flooding everywhere has nothing to do with being developed or having the best drainage system.

Stop making ill-informed and ignorant comments.

Thank God you did this, I was going to have to do this once I get behind my computer.

The below are Dubai and Doha -- right in the desert!
Our climate is changing (even though I do not subscribe to the accused causes).

It is safer to avoid cities with flooding issues, or be prepared for occurrences.

Tokyo has probably the most advanced drainage system in the world (someone posted a video of that earlier) . . . even that method won't work for some cities like NY.

Doha
Dubai
Tokyo.

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by lexy2014: 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2017
awesomesossy:
Too bad... terrible drainage system in most places of d country.... all my shoes don spoil finish for dis rain matter undecided
y u no buy rubber shoe?

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by lexy2014: 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2017
VampireeM:
My estate in Lekki this morning. It has never been flooded before. The road leading to the bus stop and expressway, the water is almost reaching the waist depending on your height. Something needs to be done about Lagos drainage. I am just wondering how I will go out esp to go to church/ work Sunday/Monday sad
can't u swim or no canoe in ur area?
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2017
Baroba:

I respectfully disagree sir, if this was due to hurricane or some sort of Tsunami that's understandable, but we are talking normal torrential downpour; It is happening too often to be attributed to nature, it boils down to lack of adequate planning, poor drainage system, poor road construction and everything else you can think of.. Come 2018 we will be having the same discussion all over again, no be today..

So, please tell us what Tsunami transpired in Canada, London, NY and Houston that dumped so much flood related rainfall.

Please be specific.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by ooshinibos: 4:53pm On Jul 08, 2017
I thought they said Nigeria is the giant of Africa ..floods every year . well done guys
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 4:56pm On Jul 08, 2017
989900:

Thank God you did this, I was going to have to do this once I get behind my computer.

It is safer to avoid cities with flooding issues, or be prepared for occurrences.

Tokyo has probably the most advanced drainage system in the world (someone posted a video of that earlier) . . . even that method won't work for some cities like NY.

Doha
Dubai
Tokyo.

No, they want us to believe that we are cursed and that such occurrences like heavy rain and flooding in other laces where they have the best drainage system in the world is OK and natural, but definitely not OK and unnatural in Nigeria no matter what.

Beats me why people make silly, illogical and irrational comments.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nukilia: 4:56pm On Jul 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

This is actually beyond drainage as you see it , what you see is the effect of reverse drainage where the sea level rise above the Peninsula level and instead drains into the Peninsula instead of the other way round , there is not much that can be done in such situations except a complex system of levees and dykes are used just like Netherlands

Nice comment! What do you think is the fate of Eko Atlantic City? cool
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by ooshinibos: 4:56pm On Jul 08, 2017
989900:

Doha
Dubai
Tokyo.

these areas experience a tsunami ..100 times more than the lagos rain ...they are not comparable at all

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2017
Nukilia:

Is Eko Atlantic flooded and have they experienced any kind of flooding so far?

Below is the reason why they haven't and why there won't be.

TESTING THE GREAT WALL

Before the first of the giant concrete armoured blocks for the Great Wall of Lagos was lowered into position, its ability to withstand the worst of the Atlantic tidal surges was put to the test. Urban engineers at DHI, the world-renowned Danish hydraulic research centre, carried out extensive scale model trials. Data analysis by computer models showed that the Great Wall could withstand the worst expected storms over 1,000 years.

http://www.ekoatlantic.com/developing/great-wall-of-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by 989900: 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2017
ooshinibos:

these areas experience a tsunami ..100 times more than the lagos rain ...they are not comparable at all

Tsunamis are rare occurrences -- they are very devastating!
Torrential rainfall is responsible for over 90% of heavy flooding.
There is a lot of materials on Google and YouTube.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 08, 2017
Efostick:
The Pictures wlll say. I feel bad for the motorists .

P.S That's a road, or it used to be Lol cheesy

guy did this happen today ?
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by onyxo76(m): 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2017
Quite disturbing ,you can only get to enjoy lekki in dry season, once rains start, it's a nightmare, all those cars will have their engines knocked out by this rain

2 Likes

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by 989900: 5:07pm On Jul 08, 2017
deomelo:

Is Eko Atlantic flooded and have they experienced any kind of flooding so far?

Below is the reason why they haven't and why there won't be.

Like has been postulated, while Eko Atlantic will likely not be flooded (being a model city and yada, yada, yada), the ripple-effect of the displaced water 'might' be a part of what is unfolding before our eyes.

Lagos’ surrounding areas are not only unprotected by the wall, but are lower in sea level than Eko Atlantic. It’s a combination that leaves the old city of Lagos and its hundreds of years of history startlingly vulnerable.
If the critics are correct, Eko Atlantic might provide parts of Lagos with yet another link to the sea, one rooted in potential danger and unknowable risk. To the sea parts of the city may return.
“With sea walls, you have to figure out what you’re protecting against,” Dr. Blumberg advised. In the case of Lagos and Eko Atlantic, the better question might be who gets the protection.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by SalamRushdie: 5:09pm On Jul 08, 2017
Nukilia:

I am not conversant with the materials and technique used to reclaim Eko Atlantic, if it rest on a reinforced steel core , rock core or just sand core ? But I have noticed the use of concrete wave breakers to protect the reclaimed land from surges ..I just hope the core used is solid enough not to sink below the high seas level in the nearest future as that could lead to the reclaimed land being submerged anytime there is heavy precipitation in the coasts like we experienced today and 5 years ago .

2 Likes

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by IsheriNorthGRA: 5:12pm On Jul 08, 2017
bigtt76:
It's even more dangerous knowing the dam officials create flooding at will. They can decide to hold everyone to Ransome at the slightest provocation angry

Funny you. So many dangerous things are kept in control of humans, that if they let lose, lives will be at stake. It's better to have the control than not to. Cheers!
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I am not conversant with the materials and technique used to reclaim Eko Atlantic, if it rest on a reinforced steel core , rock core or just sand core ? But I have noticed the use of concrete wave breakers to protect the reclaimed land from surges ..I just hope the core used is solid enough not to sink below the high seas level in the nearest future as that could lead to the reclaimed land being submerged anytime there is heavy precipitation in the coasts like we experienced today and 5 years ago .

I fear for those areas... the construction works done on these reclaimed lands isn't the right one..it's mainland building style they're using in the reclaimed lands.. I fear I fear... those buildings can't withstand the sea breeze, let alone the actual water...good and lofty dreams hastily put into action...it's terrible
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by deomelo: 5:17pm On Jul 08, 2017
989900:

Like has been postulated, while Eko Atlantic will likely not be flooded (being a model city and yada, yada, yada), the ripple-effect of the displaced water 'might' be a part of what is unfolding before our eyes.

We've been experiencing flooding in the same area for decades before EA so the EA has little or nothing to do with flooding.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nukilia: 5:22pm On Jul 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I guess we can create a thread to discuss the fate of the city. I know its a multi billion dollar project. Let's hope the wave breakers are good enough to withstand the pressure. Thanks for your comment

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by SalamRushdie: 5:22pm On Jul 08, 2017
connectpoint:

I fear for those areas... the construction works done on these reclaimed lands isn't the right one..it's mainland building style they're using in the reclaimed lands.. I fear I fear... those buildings can't withstand the sea breeze, let alone the actual water...good and lofty dreams hastily put into action...it's terrible

You are right the buildings there need to be able to withstand whatever the sea throws at the it from wind to salty acidic air to that dense humidity
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You are right the buildings there need to be able to withstand whatever the sea throws at the it from wind to salty acidic air to that dense humidity

First the architecture is Chinese architecture, the support structure is too fragile for normal land not seaside-worthy... We have experts oh, they will ignore..It is what people do when their hearts are wicked. Is the Eko Atlantic and the land reclaimation projects not partially or fully with the domain of Asiwaju Tinubu ? I was around Oriental hotel for years during its construction saw how tediously constructed layer by layer, saw the attention and the devotion, now the question i need an answer to is, why is the same care and diligence not paid to these projects? Have they forgotten that in the end, its humans that will stay in them ?

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by bayocanny: 5:26pm On Jul 08, 2017
VickyRotex:

Eyah, pele. It's well! God will do it. smiley

It depends on you. If it's not so personal to you, we can discuss here. And if you prefer Facebook, no worries.
Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by SalamRushdie: 5:34pm On Jul 08, 2017
connectpoint:

First the architecture is Chinese architecture, the support structure is too fragile for normal land not saying seaside... We have experts oh, they will ignore..It is what people do when their hearts are wicked. Is the Eko Atlantic and the land reclaim ation projects not partiallyor fully with the domain of Asiwaju Tinubu ? I was around Oriental hotel for years during its construction saw how tediously constructed layer by layer, saw the attention and the devotion, now the question i need an answer to is, why is the same care and diligence not paid to these projects? Have they forgotten that in the end, its humans that will stay in them ?

Same old Nigerian problems of cutting corners just to maximize profits

1 Like

Re: Flooded Lekki This Morning (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 08, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Same old Nigerian problems of cutting corners just to maximize profits

The final aspect of Oriental, the outer works and finishing took at least two years, it's not on water front, now on waterfron, buildings are completed in 6 months...I shake my head...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NDLEA Releases Name And Picture Of Tramadol Dealer / Mele Kyari: Nigerians Should Prepare For 3 Months Trouble Over Oil Price Crash / IGP Begs For Vehicles In Abuja But They Are Wasting Away In Lagos (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.