Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola (47988 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / We Now Know Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Ghana / This Is Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic –Minster Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:42am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:
[s][/s]

Stop boring me with more and more ignorant rubbish, I asked you to articulate what Nigeria should have offered to placate them or what punishment we should have threatened to force them to agree to our terms.

You are not impressing me with your misappropriation of words and puerile insults so stop wasting your time.
The level of ignorance among this dudes forming social media intellects is amazing. Just let them keep wallowing in their ignorance.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:43am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
And he goes again in a diversionary evasive circle of vain repetition!

This is how he keeps his debate playing blind to facts.

And he even said they pay billions for the electricity? Billions in what? Dollars or Naira? Emboldened ignorance is worse than HIV.

Are there no gas alternative with our majorly financed WAPCo that supplies gas to west Africa and even up to north Africa at a pittance?

Do not their fuel consumption being sourced in Nigeria ?

If you need articulation beyond the aforementioned, then you're dumber than olumo rock.
Guy stop ranting and answer this question.
How many MW are we selling to them?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 9:46am On Jul 12, 2017
realjoker:
So South Africa has less electricity demand compared to Nigeria? I never knew population is equal to electricity demand. I do underestimate the level of ignorant people on this forum forming exposure.
Ok, let's go by your postulation that South Africa indeed has less electricity demand than Nigeria ( false anyways) and yet she's already producing above 40 thousand megawatts and building nuclear plants to boost production Futher. Our country is on 4 thousand and selling a fraction of it to neighboring countries who has better power supply and still yapping about sustaining a 40 -year old hydro powered damn whose maximum capacity output is about 750 megawatts and is currently producing only 500.

How that for a logically deficiency internet bedbug?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:48am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:

Bro, I tire. There's shiroro and jebba dams and if this guy doesn't see the odity in selling power to these countries because of over-fixted reliance on kanji dam which only supplies 500 laughable megawatts or something of that figure, then there's something missing in his cognitive abilities.

Nigeria is Africa's largest economy and smaller countries are going nuclear and Nigeria is talking kanji dam and selling electricity that can't even serve us for 5 interrupted hours.

Fact is, I believe the minister is lying his teeth out. Niger and Benin pay in millions of dollars for our electricity, and that, my friend, is the motive for selling not the stupid excuse of damming the kainji dam.

The Government needs money especially hard foreign ones at this time.
Lol. You are just ranting for no sane reason. Did you read the article at all?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by chibjohn(m): 9:48am On Jul 12, 2017
Reading all the comments on this thread and as a student of Nigeria power industry and a highly trained professional in the power business, I can only conclude that most Nigeria youths are arrogantly ignorant and have refused to learn due to unnecessary pride. We need to understand how decisions are made especially business decisions and multilateral agreements. The most stable of such agreements are the ones with a win-win situations for the parties involved and this is such hence it has lasted for many years. Its cheaper for Benin and Niger to just buy power from Nigeria and run away from the capital cost of constructing a dam at their end that will negatively affect ours. If we refuse to sell to them, because they can't stay without power they will be forced to construct theirs and this will greatly reduce the water flow to our dams thereby rendering them useless to the extent that we may not be able to generate for our domestic use let alone exporting. Remember we generate and just sell a small fraction to them. No law stops them from damming Niger at their end, so if we refuse to sell power to them and they dam it, then the fraction from our dams that we enjoy domestically after exporting to them may not be there again. So who will lose at the end? Don't forget that selling power to them generates foreign exchange for us too. This is international politics and you have to be careful. I am not a fan of Fashola because even before he took over I knew he can't do much but this is the best we can get from this agreement. The problem with the power sector is enormous and our leaders have been playing to the gallery.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by donqx: 9:49am On Jul 12, 2017
story
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:50am On Jul 12, 2017
shervydman:

u obviously don't know what u're talking about............. I don't even know where to pick up a debate with u with all these stewpid thesis
You are the one who doesn't know what you are talking.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 9:51am On Jul 12, 2017
realjoker:
Guy stop ranting and answer this question.
How many MW are we selling to them?
Mr. Joker is out with his main handle. What's the correlation? Joker, tell us the bearing. You have begun your trademark dance of Dementia again on this platform.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by YorubaNigga(m): 9:54am On Jul 12, 2017
chibjohn:
Lol. Atlantic ocean ko Atlantic ocean ni. Ignorance is actually a very terrible disease most Nigerian youths are suffering from. Oga, please answer this question: which country in the world generates power from the Atlantic ocean? Is that even possible today?
Pls tell us why it ain't possible. We are here to learn

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:59am On Jul 12, 2017
shervydman:

huh........I don't have time to waste on people like u, if u cant grasp what TheMortician is saying, how can u grasp mine? u need to find urself a good nursery school, get urself a nursery school uniform, run to class and learn simple comprehension, don't be a dick-head, learn to assimilate things very well before u respond. u read to argue and not to understand!

see ya.
Lol. Honestly, Seems I will stop engaging people on nairaland, I never knew you guys are this dumb. My problem with your kinds is when something is beyond their wit they will never want to learn from others. deomelo has been trying to educate you guys on how this works but your egos......
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:02am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
My impulse to respond to this is akin to a doctor who stumbles upon a potent remedy to cure the ailment of his patient.

Empty statements there.
Egypt and the nuclear power

Egypt and Russia signed an agreement, on November 19, 2015, under which Russia will build and finance Egypt’s first nuclear power plant, in a ceremony attended by President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
Egypt is part of the MENA countries and they are all going nuclear while Nigeria is still talking kainji dam and hydro power.
http://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/content/egypt-and-nuclear-power-plants-mena
Yet I had stated that fact here in a post you even quoted. Only for you to say I didn't know Nigeria had signed with Russia under GEJ which this administration has completely ignored! www.nairaland.com/attachments/5636258_2017071206_20_18_jpegc74093f2115d0c06fd060d4e953cd9ca

I offer you education right here on the classroom of Nairaland way above your father's pay grade

You're a disgrace to the man who invented the internet. Not even an automated internet virus is as mindless and repetitive as you.

Scatterbrained móron!
But you claimed it was jettison and abandoned. And their is no contract under GEJ government. Try to understand the differences between agreement, MoU and contract.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:03am On Jul 12, 2017
Loonyy:
y dem even construct the dam in the first place, were Atlantic ocean flow through Bordor in rivers state and Ikot Abasi in akwa ibom. nonsense government with shiftsided development
Lol, another ignorant cretin. So na with ocean water dem go build hydroelectric plant? You guys are naturally dumb
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:06am On Jul 12, 2017
luckyogor:
All supporters of fashola here are yorubas and lagosians,this is the reason why nigeria cant grow,we want to use algreba to solve all issues,nonsense explanations, a country of failed leadership, a country of many excuses.
hahaha. Nigeria has been selling power to them before you and your father were born so wetin Fashola gat to do in an agreement that as been existing before he was born?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:09am On Jul 12, 2017
ejanla077:

so whats d importance of d dam to Nigeria if it was built to service Niger and not nigeria
Lol, another dunce head. The power is not servicing Niger and Benin Republic what we sale to them is less than 6% of electricity generated from the plant.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:17am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Yes. Someday I will. I thank you for the inspiration. For you, you'd rather subsist on 1000mw, share with Lords Benin and Niger for life, rather than aggressively develop your generation and distribution exclusive of outside influence. You cant stand darkness for 6 months for something more durable. And when eventually these smaller countries decide to Dam the Niger, you will rather go on your knees to beg them.
I have lived in Benin a while, and I weep when I see what they enjoy!
Guy seems like you are an evolved Cretin.
What we sale to both Niger and Benin Republic is less than 5% of electricity generated from the dam which cannot even powered Ikorodu alone or do you think if they choose to build their own dam or divert the water flowing to Kanji and Jebba dam it won't affect your power generation and irrigation and even your onitsha river port?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:19am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

As for Nigeria who has dam her own, does that mean our river ain't flowing elsewhere to other countries?
It flows to the atlantic through Niger Delta.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by chibjohn(m): 10:21am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

I like you. You are not like other ignorant Nigerians that argue blindly. How I wish every Nigerian will take your approach instead of insults. The answer is very technical and I don't know your background but I will try to be as simple as possible in my explanations.

The power that can be gotten from hydro source can be calculated with this formula:
Power = e × Q × g × h
Where e = density of the flowing water
Q = Volume flow rate of the water
g = acceleration due to gravity
h = elevation or height of fall of the water
The hydro turbines simply convert the potential energy of falling water to kinetic energy in the rotation of the turbine shaft coupled to a generator.

If any of the terms into the equation above for a source is zero then we can't get power from that source since the whole equation will be zero.

We can get power from river Niger because as water its density and volume flow rate can be measured and it flows from a height( elevation). So all the terms in the equation above is completed and none is zero.

In the case of the Atlantic ocean, yes since its water the density is there and volume flow rate may be there or maybe can be artificially created but it doesn't flow from a height. Its flow doesn't have elevation hence the h term in the equation above is zero making the power obtainable as can be seen from the equation zero.
A lot of research is ongoing on how to circumvent this but it hasn't gone past laboratory experiments. One of such researches was done by my friends during my final year in school.

So in simple terms, because Atlantic ocean doesn't flow from a height( no elevation) and its flow rate and direction is complex, then it is difficult to get commercially viable power from it. This doesn't mean that there may not be small generating plants at specific locations of it( even though I don't know of any) but nothing substantial can be gotten from it hence no body has ventured into it.

I hope I was simple as it can be and that you will understand.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by rhektor(m): 10:22am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.

And when go ahead to damn the rivers what will be the fate of our Kanji damn? We need to bait them with supply else we be damned
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:23am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

You're the one making the attractive point here. My question is why are these countries enjoying electricity more than us despite we being the source. Nigeria is a cursed country they have never put their citizens first, unlike America
they enjoyed electricity more than us because they have other source of electricity apart from Kanji and Jebba dam and Lagos State power demand alone is far more than the power demand of both countries combined.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:26am On Jul 12, 2017
shervydman:

since u really want my contribution......i'll give it to u.

mediocrity runs in ur vein instead of blood. Nigeria; a country of 180m people needs at least 100000mw!!! of electricity for proper industrialization and house-hold supply, now, we're generating only 4000mw and u think all is well?

why should we give other countries what we don't have and then suffer for it than the "other" countries we give? oh, lest I forget, u said it with that ass of a thing u call mouth or rather type it with that match-stick u call fingers that we give them only 1% of it so that they won't dam the river and yet receive billions from them. just listen to urself out of shame!!

we need to generate MORE POWER and stop depending on those outdated dams. very soon, the mambilla dam will be complete alongside tiga and co. which is a welcome development but we fvcking need more than that before we can even boast of 18hrs daily electricity supply at every grid.

u know nada about simple things as u've shown here and I hope heavens help u to understand this since no mortal body can do that.
Stop concocting figures from your ass. Population size doesn't equate to power demand, Nigeria peak demand is 19,000MW and off peak demand is 14,000MW
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Kirgyakos(m): 10:30am On Jul 12, 2017
Arrant nawnsene......if u don't av sontin reasonable 2 say jus klose da stinking hole in ur face u call mouth.....idiet!
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:30am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

Bro you're here arguing and boasting of 760MW when you have been told that SA with population of 53M generates 40,000MW

Bros what's wrong with u? Don't u want a way forward for Nigeria?
You guys are naturally dumb, so the argument is now South Africa generating 40,000mw and not why nigeria selling power to Niger and Benin Republic?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:34am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
Ok, let's go by your postulation that South Africa indeed has less electricity demand than Nigeria ( false anyways) and yet she's already producing above 40 thousand megawatts and building nuclear plants to boost production Futher. Our country is on 4 thousand and selling a fraction of it to neighboring countries who has better power supply and still yapping about sustaining a 40 -year old hydro powered damn whose maximum capacity output is about 750 megawatts and is currently producing only 500.

How that for a logically deficiency internet bedbug?
Dude stop this ignorant comparism. population size does not equate to electricity demand, their peak demand is projected at 50,000MW while ours is projected to be 19,000MW
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 10:49am On Jul 12, 2017
realjoker:
But you claimed it was jettison and abandoned. And their is no contract under GEJ government. Try to understand the differences between agreement, MoU and contract.
Looooooooooolz! Ok, let me go by your claims it was only a memorandum of understanding which isn't binding as a contract, so that even anchors my submission more for criticizing a Government still ranting on hydro electricity with a 500-megawatts- generating relic of an infrastructure that has outlived its usefulness .

Smart ass you are.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:52am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

To construct hydroelectric plant these are what to put into consideration
Velocity
Gorge
Volume
Elevation
Soil condition
Climate
Etc
And environmental impact assessment will be carried out before embarking on the construction of hydroelectric power plant to ascertain the level of environmental impact the dam can cause to the environment along the source of the water, power house location and where the discharge water run through, All the core northern states and southern states can't handle hydroelectric plant above 50MW and most states can even handle 5MW hydroelectric plant due to the lack of these qualities, that is why all the major power plants are sited in middle belt states of Niger (Kanji, jebba, Shiroro, Zungeru), southern kaduna (Gurara) and Taraba (Mambila). chibjohn has captured the atlantic ocean question.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 10:59am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
Looooooooooolz! Ok, let me go by your claims it was only a memorandum of understanding which isn't binding as a contract, so that even anchors my submission more for criticizing a Government still ranting on hydro electricity with a 500-megawatts- generating relic of an infrastructure that has outlived its usefulness .

Smart ass you are.
How is the government ranting about this? Seems you didn't read the article before typing gibberish since your aim is to garner likes from your co-wailers and ignorant ilks.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 11:22am On Jul 12, 2017
realjoker:
How is the government ranting about this? Seems you didn't read the article before typing gibberish since your aim is to garner likes from your co-wailers and ignorant ilks.
You must mistake me for your gutter peerage and cesspit background.

How do you explain a government coming on the news to explain a dumb idea of selling power to Niger and Togo for them not to dam the kainji dam which only generate one fourth of Nigeria's electricity ?

Your ignorance must be on steroids or you're carrying the entire dumbness of all your generations dead and unborn!

Mr alternate pscho!!!
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by dane15: 11:28am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Why the hell do you all think its a very very smart idea to sell electricity to these countries as a 'guarantee'? It is way cheaper for them to buy generated electricity than building their dams, so we already have an upper hand. It is already a stress on our National output since we never even have enough to sustain 18 hours nonstop.

Kainji Dam was completed in the 60s with capacity to provide less than 1500mw of electricity, what efforts have we made since then to improve our power generation capacity? for the countries in the world that have stable electricity without the 'pressure' of river Niger how exactly have they done it?

And yes, do not let no one fool you. There are artificial technologies. google pumped water storage and what the swiss have done. Also, try and study the artificial dams of the world and see what Nigeria can do once and for all. Now Kainji Dam was built with less than 300m USD, Switzerland has returned close to a billion USD of stolen funds to Nigeria.

I wont even bother going into details of exactly how Nigeria can begin to utilize whatever she has of the Niger River when Lords Benin and Niger decide to 'cut off' their sections of the Niger River. You know why? Cos Nigerians are gullible, they have accepted mediocrity and can kill to justify it.

The next time you wanna quote me, show so decorum.

https://qz.com/706832/new-turbines-have-upgraded-a-hydroelectric-dam-in-the-swiss-alps-to-a-nuke-sized-battery/

These are more serious countries. If you are ready to swallow poo and not daring, I am not.

Oga Sir, everyone can play football with their mouth but playing on the pitch is a different ball game.

You can read this: http://sahelstandard.com/index.php/2015/05/04/war-looms-between-nigeria-niger-over-river-niger/.

You will understand that France has been pushing the aforementioned countries to dam the River Niger for sometime.

Are you aware that Kainji dam contributes about 700MW out of our current 2,929 MW? That is 24% of our power generation.
Please read this to verify : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/electricity-nigerians-darkness-kainji-genco-boss/

Can you begin to see the effect of allowing Togo and Benin republic to reduce the flow of River Niger?

I also noticed how you have drifted from your initial argument to prove that Fashola is a failure. That is a story for another day.

Consider that as far back as when Jonathan was in power, 95 million Nigerians did not have access to regular electricity. Please read: http://www.businessinsider.com/95-million-nigerians-are-living-without-electricity-and-something-needs-to-change-2016-7?IR=T

The issue in Nigeria is that people just talk and talk and criticize destructively instead of objectively.

I hereby present the budget for Power in 2015-2017 to you. At least for you to criticize someone, you are saying you can do better.
015- http://businessnews.com.ng/2015/12/28/power-works-housing-ministry-gets-700-budget-increase/
2016-http://www.finance.gov.ng/images/budget2016/worksPowerHousing.pdf
2017-http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/budget-2017-power-gets-n69-96bn/

Present a REASONABLE workable plan in 2 YEARS to transform Nigeria from its state in 2015 to where it can have 24 hours uninterrupted power supply.

And please let us not talk about that your link (https://qz.com/706832/new-turbines-have-upgraded-a-hydroelectric-dam-in-the-swiss-alps-to-a-nuke-sized-battery). I read through the link and realized that because you were just looking for something to back up your position on the internet, you did not even bother to read through. Read this extract from your link carefully, "Water is pumped uphill when electricity is cheap and plentiful, and runs downhill, spinning turbines and generating electricity, when needed".
Here is the catch, we don't even have electricity so your idea is Dead on Arrival.

The issue in Nigeria is that everyone wants to talk and abuse and criticize destructively.

Please never criticize if you do not have a better idea. Just glue your lips.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 11:38am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
You must mistake me for your gutter peerage and cesspit background.

How do you explain a government coming on the news to explain a dumb idea of selling power to Niger and Togo for them not to dam the kainji dam which only generate one fourth of Nigeria's electricity ?

Your ignorance must be on steroids or you're carrying the entire dumbness of all your generations dead and unborn!

Mr alternate pscho!!!
This Idea (multilateral agreement) predate the existence of you and your father, so why the fuss now? Or do you think that when your hero was there we were not selling power to them?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by 9Ace: 11:41am On Jul 12, 2017
get ur tbc at a ridiculous price that will leave jaw-dropped, special offer available for resellers aswell call or whatsapp 08133721021

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Treasury ‘virtually Empty’ Says Buhari. / Peoples' Gazette Suspends Ayoola Babalola Who Posted Peter Obi & Oyedepo Call / Crowd Chants O To Ge, Ole At Bukola Saraki And Kwara PDP Gubernatorial Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.