Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola (47991 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / We Now Know Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Ghana / This Is Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic –Minster Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TheMortician: 7:30am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:
[s][/s]

More ignorant rubbish, not interested.

You ignorantly asserted that I should Go and check Egypt's nuclear plans. Ordinary freeking plans when your own country already signed an agreement to build 4 power plants in Nigeria.

To break it down, Egypt with no nuclear power plants, no functioning nuclear power plants and not even ordinary contract for nuclear power plant is doing great and ahead of Nigeria while Nigeria with 4 nuclear power plant agreement with Russian is clueless and behind. grin grin

What a born dullard. grin grin

I get it, you're trying to distort my remarks into an unpatriotic shade to get cheap likes and derail the debate away from your severe congenital mental limitation.

Rant on, but I feel your shame. Nairaland is where you measure your unproductive life so you won't take lessons from someone whose education far superseded yours!

South Africa's nuclear plans like Egypt's are ongoing and none is yet functional. And that's what I stated. You on the other hand was running around with the idea Egypt hasn't signed any contract (when she has 2 years ago) like a cheap prostitute paid in dollars for the first time.
You tell cheap lies just to win an argument when your brain is as empty as a book-less library.

Your country's nuclear power plans has flown away or tell me where it has been mentioned since this administration took office. Your minister is ranting about a 40-year old dam that can only produce 500 megawatts and selling off some of it to neighboring countries without stating plans for an upgrade and alternate power generation, and a dim-witted puppet like you sees nothing wrong!

For you to claim I never knew nigeria signed a nuclear deal with Russia during GEJ's regime when I was the one who first said it here to you..a post you even quoted, means, you're a wizard tormented by your demons of delusions of persecution and a petty-minded doofus who measures his importance with his posts in Nairaland.

That's why you don't admit when you're wrong. Your inferiority complex was really built to last hence you walk all over Nairaland with a plethora of alternate accounts drooling over topics whose contents are too heavy for your fragile mental architecture to support.

Anyone who chops off your fingers with a tetanus-infected blade has done the entire cyber community an incalculable favour.

You're suffering from chronic attention deficit syndrome and you love seeing your lunacy in digital prints.

Mentally imbecilitated psychoneurotic dweeb.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Kingbusssy(m): 7:40am On Jul 12, 2017
ridbay:

YNAIJA

I smell lies
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ejanla077: 7:40am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:

Just keep up with reeding and comprehension.

shut up ur yoruba muslim ewedu mouth
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Blue3k(m): 7:42am On Jul 12, 2017
nwamehn:

Boss, do u mean that if Niger should construct a dam now, that it will block the river and Kainji would not be able to function again?

Not necessarily if we change deal they could decide to negotiate from a position of strength. Since they are higher up the river they will build their damn to increase their electricity production or get more cash out of us.

The could build huge damn hypothetically that reduces current going to our dams. They could say will sell you excess electricity. We could keep all the power and end up having to pay out lots of money that might not even be worth it long term.

I don't see point walking over a dollar to pick up a penny. We have options domesticly by just inviting investors to build up our capacity in Coal, Gas, renewables and even nuclear. These don't require any potentially harmful negotions.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Kay17: 7:46am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.

Niger river flows across several West African countries before it reaches Nigeria. You wouldn't want those countries damming the river and thereby deprive you of a main source

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:50am On Jul 12, 2017
Why the hell do you all think its a very very smart idea to sell electricity to these countries as a 'guarantee'? It is way cheaper for them to buy generated electricity than building their dams, so we already have an upper hand. It is already a stress on our National output since we never even have enough to sustain 18 hours nonstop.

Kainji Dam was completed in the 60s with capacity to provide less than 1500mw of electricity, what efforts have we made since then to improve our power generation capacity? for the countries in the world that have stable electricity without the 'pressure' of river Niger how exactly have they done it?

And yes, do not let no one fool you. There are artificial technologies. google pumped water storage and what the swiss have done. Also, try and study the artificial dams of the world and see what Nigeria can do once and for all. Now Kainji Dam was built with less than 300m USD, Switzerland has returned close to a billion USD of stolen funds to Nigeria.

I wont even bother going into details of exactly how Nigeria can begin to utilize whatever she has of the Niger River when Lords Benin and Niger decide to 'cut off' their sections of the Niger River. You know why? Cos Nigerians are gullible, they have accepted mediocrity and can kill to justify it.

The next time you wanna quote me, show so decorum.

https://qz.com/706832/new-turbines-have-upgraded-a-hydroelectric-dam-in-the-swiss-alps-to-a-nuke-sized-battery/

These are more serious countries. If you are ready to swallow poo and not daring, I am not.

sapele914:
Kid n Play,why show your ignorance to the whole world,if you don't understand an issue why open your shallow mind and spit rubbish?shut up,even the scripture says when a fool keeps quiet he is thought to be clever. Doughnut brain don't you know the River Niger flows through Republic of Niger and if they were to build their own dam it will drop the water level coming to Kainji dam and with the low water level, kainji dam in Nigeria would not be able to generate electricity. I can see you must have gone to a very poor standard primary and secondary school because these is elementary social science and geography.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:51am On Jul 12, 2017
Why the hell do you all think its a very very smart idea to sell electricity to these countries as a 'guarantee'? It is way cheaper for them to buy generated electricity than building their dams, so we already have an upper hand. It is already a stress on our National output since we never even have enough to sustain 18 hours nonstop.

Kainji Dam was completed in the 60s with capacity to provide less than 1500mw of electricity, what efforts have we made since then to improve our power generation capacity? for the countries in the world that have stable electricity without the 'pressure' of river Niger how exactly have they done it?

And yes, do not let no one fool you. There are artificial technologies. google pumped water storage and what the swiss have done. Also, try and study the artificial dams of the world and see what Nigeria can do once and for all. Now Kainji Dam was built with less than 300m USD, Switzerland has returned close to a billion USD of stolen funds to Nigeria.

I wont even bother going into details of exactly how Nigeria can begin to utilize whatever she has of the Niger River when Lords Benin and Niger decide to 'cut off' their sections of the Niger River. You know why? Cos Nigerians are gullible, they have accepted mediocrity and can kill to justify it.

https://qz.com/706832/new-turbines-have-upgraded-a-hydroelectric-dam-in-the-swiss-alps-to-a-nuke-sized-battery/

These are more serious countries. If you are ready to swallow poo and not daring, I am not.
Kay17:

Niger river flows across several West African countries before it reaches Nigeria. You wouldn't want those countries damming the river and thereby deprive you of a main source
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:52am On Jul 12, 2017

2oby:

Am sure u really dont have good knowledge of the subject matter.
Fasola is very correct. Our dams r sustained by the water pressure passing through this country. If they block this water for their dam, water pressure reaching us will b greatly reduced.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:54am On Jul 12, 2017

PS...since your biggest dream is to be a customer care in the Bank, I could give you a reference note, you'd be glad I did. I was tempted to tell you where I work and what I do, but again, Evans may just be your cousin.

Truthisit:
Mr. Elsheriff, you don't know how things work in this sector. I am sure you are a customer care officer in a bank who has little or no knowledge of the geography of river Niger, it's tributaries and traverses. Google will enlighten you about this.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:54am On Jul 12, 2017

mapet:

Bros,

Pls shut it and take time to read to understand..........less you're sounding more idiotic on something so basic in logic.

Ok let's help you. When Niger builds a Dam on their end of the river Niger, will the "power" of the flow river not have depleted and will make Kainji Power station redundant?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:55am On Jul 12, 2017

chillykelly86:

You obviously don't understand how a dam runs and what keeps it running and you don't even know that you don't know. Humility pays a lot. Humble yourself and learn.
Dams need millions of liters water to collect in them in order to generate sufficient pressure to keep the turbines rolling at optimum capacity. Already, the impact of insufficient water supply to Kainji is felt during the dry season.
If any of the countries through which the Niger River runs before hitting Nigeria, decides to channel some substantial volume of the Niger River away (say for irrigation purposes), then you'll be left with a worthless Kainji Hydroelectric "Power" Station. The Power comes from the water, that's why its called "Hydro"electric. So without the water, the station is powerless.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by zomoears(m): 7:56am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.

The river Niger flows through several countries and the waters that reach us originate from several countries. Before the dam was established,an agreement was signed with all these countries that they wont establish their dams upstream,so as to ensure sustainable water levels for Kainji. Part of the agreement includes selling electricity to them.
#kainjifacts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 7:57am On Jul 12, 2017

zomoears:

The river Niger flows through several countries and the waters that reach us originate from several countries. Before the dam was established,an agreement was signed with all these countries that they wont establish their dams upstream,so as to ensure sustainable water levels for Kainji. Part of the agreement includes selling electricity to them.
#kainjifacts.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:05am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:

It is a share waste of my time to continue to engage you in needless explanation to assuage your ignorace. In fact it is no brainer why some of you yoots are not in leadership, will either not make it to leadership or the little stride you make in leadership you will loose it fast.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Kay17: 8:06am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:

The idea is that Nigeria as well as those countries desire electricity for industrialization. So electricity is a precondition for greater development. Now with that in mind, why would everyone settle for less. Besides the electricity is not exported in containers stacked at the port. So those countries need a relatively close source either from their immediate neighbors or create a long-lasting solution like a dam.

Now if you think Kainiji Dam has outlived its usefulness then you wouldn't mind the river dammed but if you lose the 1000MW Kainiji offers Nigeria then you would have more darkness in Nigeria.

Thankfully you are not the minister

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 8:13am On Jul 12, 2017
Hahahahah, at last you will now know me. I am currently a Secretary to a Local Government having been elected a councillor on the books of the APC. And yes, I am 32 Years old. Next time you want youths in leadership ask me. Yes this is an alter account!
Enjoy your joblessness and continuous acceptance of small things!
mapet:

It is a share waste of my time to continue to engage you in needless explanation to assuage your ignorace. In fact it is no brainer why some of you yoots are not in leadership, will either not make it to leadership or the little stride you make in leadership you will loose it fast.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by ElSherriff: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2017
Yes. Someday I will. I thank you for the inspiration. For you, you'd rather subsist on 1000mw, share with Lords Benin and Niger for life, rather than aggressively develop your generation and distribution exclusive of outside influence. You cant stand darkness for 6 months for something more durable. And when eventually these smaller countries decide to Dam the Niger, you will rather go on your knees to beg them.
I have lived in Benin a while, and I weep when I see what they enjoy!
Kay17:

The idea is that Nigeria as well as those countries desire electricity for industrialization. So electricity is a precondition for greater development. Now with that in mind, why would everyone settle for less. Besides the electricity is not exported in containers stacked at the port. So those countries need a relatively close source either from their immediate neighbors or create a long-lasting solution like a dam.

Now if you think Kainiji Dam has outlived its usefulness then you wouldn't mind the river dammed but if you lose the 1000MW Kainiji offers Nigeria then you would have more darkness in Nigeria.

Thankfully you are not the minister
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:20am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
Hahahahah, at last you will now know me. I am currently a Secretary to a Local Government having been elected a councillor on the books of the APC. And yes, I am 32 Years old. Next time you want youths in leadership ask me. Yes this is an alter account!
Enjoy your joblessness and continuous acceptance of small things!

Local govt Sec? Yet you display such sub-par intellect?You need to work on your conduct, comprehension and learning else like I earlier stated

...or the little stride you make in leadership you will loose it fast

SMDH
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by YorubaNigga(m): 8:31am On Jul 12, 2017
NoToPile:
Lots of ignorant folks on this thread.

Everybody knows the reason why we sell electricity to those countries. Its not an agreement that was signed yesterday or even five years ago, its been like that for quite a while.

If those countries dam the water nothing is going to flow to naija and that's why the agreement was made in the first place.

People need to read oo.
As for Nigeria who has dam her own, does that mean our river ain't flowing elsewhere to other countries?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by SINZ: 8:32am On Jul 12, 2017
Why not give them oil instead? Atleast we have that in abundance.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by altitudee: 8:35am On Jul 12, 2017
you are a novice....if you are inclined in this field, you will know what it means to dam your source of electricity....
ElSherriff:

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by altitudee: 8:44am On Jul 12, 2017
i thought most of the people in nairaland are learned... Minister of Power Fashola has made his point and it is valid... if you don't know what it means to Dam a river please google is your friend.... I'm surprised that majority of the people on this thread don't know our largest source of electricity.... this is not theory...welcome to practical... and please it is not a most u comment... hold your peace on things that are beyond u or go learn more about it.... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by YorubaNigga(m): 8:45am On Jul 12, 2017
Lighthouseman:

no one has right to block even a stream that passes through. blocking it means you are denying people downstream of their source of livelihoods and it could be termed genocide.
imagine someone blocking your way to your office where u make ur livelihood... what would u result to.
It's called riparian rights ... Both the tributor and tributee have right to the water resources including electricity. imagine if nigeria blocked the niger from flowing into the Atlantic ocean what would happen to these countries? They would become rivers and not countries and if it burst... nigeria becomes a river too. It's a win win situation.
You're the one making the attractive point here. My question is why are these countries enjoying electricity more than us despite we being the source. Nigeria is a cursed country they have never put their citizens first, unlike America

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:

And this empty vessel joker is yet to contribute anything beyond mindless ramblings.

since u really want my contribution......i'll give it to u.

mediocrity runs in ur vein instead of blood. Nigeria; a country of 180m people needs at least 100000mw!!! of electricity for proper industrialization and house-hold supply, now, we're generating only 4000mw and u think all is well?

why should we give other countries what we don't have and then suffer for it than the "other" countries we give? oh, lest I forget, u said it with that ass of a thing u call mouth or rather type it with that match-stick u call fingers that we give them only 1% of it so that they won't dam the river and yet receive billions from them. just listen to urself out of shame!!

we need to generate MORE POWER and stop depending on those outdated dams. very soon, the mambilla dam will be complete alongside tiga and co. which is a welcome development but we fvcking need more than that before we can even boast of 18hrs daily electricity supply at every grid.

u know nada about simple things as u've shown here and I hope heavens help u to understand this since no mortal body can do that.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by chibjohn(m): 9:00am On Jul 12, 2017
Loonyy:
y dem even construct the dam in the first place, were Atlantic ocean flow through Bordor in rivers state and Ikot Abasi in akwa ibom. nonsense government with shiftsided development
Lol. Atlantic ocean ko Atlantic ocean ni. Ignorance is actually a very terrible disease most Nigerian youths are suffering from. Oga, please answer this question: which country in the world generates power from the Atlantic ocean? Is that even possible today?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
My point is, since Nigeria barely has enough electricity for itself why not use her economic power in the subregion to negotiate other ways of compensation instead of selling what she doesn't have? (2) The honourable minister wasn't even taking about alternative source of power generation when other African countries with less electricity demand have gone nuclear. But he was still hitting on kanji dam which is as useless as our independence.

when magnified idiots like you grace the Internet, they often critique people's submission without facts. And you wonder why the only interview you have ever been invited for since your everlasting joblessness is for the possition of a mortuary attendant.

You're the brain-damaged, barely-literate Nairaland foremost nuisance who goes about arguing out of point and logic in all front page thread on this forum. Whenever you're outclassed and out-fact, you veer into non-topic to save face which only makes you appear stupider than you began.

Seems you're looking for your oblique destiny in Nairaland.
Air-headed simpleton
Lol. Seems like I underestimate how dunchhead you are. Hey cretin you Are ranting ignorantly, As if the the power we are selling to them can power Ikorodu sef.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by femi2u: 9:21am On Jul 12, 2017
ElSherriff:
CORRECT
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by chibjohn(m): 9:23am On Jul 12, 2017
altitudee:
i thought most of the people in nairaland are learned... Minister of Power Fashola has made his point and it is valid... if you don't know what it means to Dam a river please google is your friend.... I'm surprised that majority of the people on this thread don't know our largest source of electricity.... this is not theory...welcome to practical... and please it is not a most u comment... hold your peace on things that are beyond u or go learn more about it.... grin grin grin grin
Get your facts right. Hydroelectricity is not Nigeria's largest source of electricity. Maybe it was before but not so now. Our largest source of electricity is fossil fuels. Google is here for us.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by NoToPile: 9:28am On Jul 12, 2017
YorubaNigga:

As for Nigeria who has dam her own, does that mean our river ain't flowing elsewhere to other countries?

Okay, the Niger flows from those countries and passes through Nigeria and finally empties into the Atlantic so if we want to follow the trail, Nigeria is the last country it passes through, that's why if either of those countries dam the river the water levels of the Nigerian part of river Niger will be low.

It makes sense for Nigeria to be the one to dam that river or else Nigeria will suffer for it since thats a major source her power

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by 989900: 9:38am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
[s]I get it, you're trying to distort my remarks into an unpatriotic shade to get cheap likes and derail the debate away from your severe congenital mental limitation.

Rant on, but I feel your shame. Nairaland is where you measure your unproductive life so you won't take lessons from someone whose education far superseded yours!

South Africa's nuclear plans like Egypt's are ongoing and none is yet functional. And that's what I stated. You on the other hand was running around with the idea Egypt hasn't signed any contract (when she has 2 years ago) like a cheap prostitute paid in dollars for the first time.
You tell cheap lies just to win an argument when your brain is as empty as a book-less library.

Your country's nuclear power plans has flown away or tell me where it has been mentioned since this administration took office. Your minister is ranting about a 40-year old dam that can only produce 500 megawatts and selling off some of it to neighboring countries without stating plans for an upgrade and alternate power generation, and a dim-witted puppet like you sees nothing wrong!

For you to claim I never knew nigeria signed a nuclear deal with Russia during GEJ's regime when I was the one who first said it here to you..a post you even quoted, means, you're a wizard tormented by your demons of delusions of persecution and a petty-minded doofus who measures his importance with his posts in Nairaland.

That's why you don't admit when you're wrong. Your inferiority complex was really built to last hence you walk all over Nairaland with a plethora of alternate accounts drooling over topics whose contents are too heavy for your fragile mental architecture to support.

Anyone who chops off your fingers with a tetanus-infected blade has done the entire cyber community an incalculable favour.

You're suffering from chronic attention deficit syndrome and you love seeing your lunacy in digital prints.

Mentally imbecilitated psychoneurotic dweeb[/s].
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by realjoker(m): 9:39am On Jul 12, 2017
TheMortician:
South Africa is building two giant nuclear plants.
And she's already having over 40,000 megawatts with 53 million people while Nigeria is just 4,000 with 180 million population
Your ignorance is truly exemplary!
So South Africa has less electricity demand compared to Nigeria? I never knew population size equate electricity demand. I do underestimate the level of ignorant people on this forum forming exposure.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by YorubaNigga(m): 9:42am On Jul 12, 2017
deomelo:

Reading and comprehension failed you.

The plant generates 760MW and Niger gets only 45MW and we keep the rest.

Btw, they still pay for the 45MW.
Bro you're here arguing and boasting of 760MW when you have been told that SA with population of 53M generates 40,000MW

Bros what's wrong with u? Don't u want a way forward for Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Crowd Chants O To Ge, Ole At Bukola Saraki And Kwara PDP Gubernatorial Candidate / Dele Momodu And Wife, Mobolaji Celebrate 27th Wedding Anniversary (Pictures) / "The Language Is Now Clear For Everyone To Understand" - Bashir Ahmad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.