Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,150 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola (47979 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / We Now Know Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Ghana / This Is Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic –Minster Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by DBossNG(m): 8:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
U are just thinking
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mikkypel(m): 8:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Eya, so you took the bait?
If actually they are helping Nigeria through ensuring our dams do not overflow, how come they still have to pay for our electricity?
Basic rule of life, do not give what you do not have!
Since I am your father's mate, it is safe to say, your father, all his brothers are stupid. You? you just dont exist.

Don't mind the retarded fool.... I just don't know why youths of nowadays can't argue without insults.. It shows the way they were brought up and the type of education gotten
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by chillykelly86(m): 8:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Young man, you and Fashola make zero sense at all. If we pay for the infrastructure, we could as well pay for the maintenance of the Dam. You seem to think these things need rocket science to do. Whatever the togolese and benenoise have done to help channel water out of the dam or to keep it flowing, we have the capacity to do a 100 times over, so we can enjoy out total output, Instead of selling our generated output to them. It is not as if we are over serviced. simple logic, we sell to make money whereas we are starved.
If I need to tell Fashola or any government official what to do to make things work, then they do not deserve to be in government. if you choose to believe their craap then you are not ready for development.
Again, I am disappointed in Fashola. I can give him a full dossier of alternatives. But then, he is the minister, I am only a citizen.

You obviously don't understand how a dam runs and what keeps it running and you don't even know that you don't know. Humility pays a lot. Humble yourself and learn.
Dams need millions of liters water to collect in them in order to generate sufficient pressure to keep the turbines rolling at optimum capacity. Already, the impact of insufficient water supply to Kainji is felt during the dry season.
If any of the countries through which the Niger River runs before hitting Nigeria, decides to channel some substantial volume of the Niger River away (say for irrigation purposes), then you'll be left with a worthless Kainji Hydroelectric "Power" Station. The Power comes from the water, that's why its called "Hydro"electric. So without the water, the station is powerless.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Adek15(m): 8:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:
You also need to read this:

Niger river has an elevation in Niger and Benin
Republic, geographically ok for them to construct
the dam, if we allowed that, we wont have anything
and Niger wont give us anything either.
I think Egypt and Ethiopia has a similar agreement
on the Nile river. What do you know?
Block head calling himself an elder.
i love knowledgeable people. Some of us are really learning... Pls carry on except the insult you are dashing out.. Lolz

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:

Fortunately, you are not minister. Trying to renegotiate something like this is crass stupidity.
This is not your everyday Nigerian politics where the person that generates calls the other a parasite for benefitting from blah blah blah....
If they block the dam and prevent water from flowing who would be the BIGGER LOSER?
Your country poor power generation cannot be boosted solely by Kanji Dam.
Don't even bother arguing with them. I cant even imagine the nonsense opinion some Nigerians are spewing.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by dacovajnr: 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.
Na you get water wey u wan sanction them?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by rottennaija(m): 8:34pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
how much MW are we generating? It isn't enough for you and I but our government is willing to share to other countries for money? This is not how countries that want to advance behave. It is laxity to agree to such demand.

No wonder Nigerians are suffering. We have a very poor thinking government. A government that doesn't care for its people. Do you think if Aso rock depended on that current its giving out, it will continue to give it out? But because its Nigerians that need it right?

You cant put the blame on fashola. He has been a minister not up to a year yet. The blame should properly go to the previous govt and administration that failed to plan.

On the issue of MW we generate. I know that Nigeria use to have more light. I believe that when the damn was first built, Nigeria use to have close to 24hrs power supply if not 24hrs. It is not just true that Nigeria has been having this poor power supply as we see today.

As I had said before, failure to plan, corruption and sharing of money mentality killed us. The problem was the past administrations, both civilian and millitary. As Nigeria popular began to explode, nothing was done to improve on power infrastructure.

It was during OBJ's regime that they tried to. But obviously, the plan was faulty. They built more gas dependent power stations when they never made plans to generate these gas to the stations. Then too was the transmission lines which couldnt support the population we had.

During GEJ administration, had they been serious with it, and allow transparency to occur, they could have achieved. But they obviously saw the power situation as a means to enrich themselves more and more.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:36pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:

ElSherriff: :
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.

I can see you are dam' stupid [pun intended].
Kanji dam generates a good percentage of our electricity. Stop selling to them and you've got no electricity at all, then you start depending on gas, whose pipelines are exposed, vulnerable to vandalism.

Sanction who? On top their own river?
It is a win-win situation for all parties.

Dam stupid is the right description bro.........

meanwhile Fashola did not say anything new in this case. This has been the reason since Kainji Dam was built.........anybody that had gone on excursion to Kainji Dam while in school would also have been told this
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Adek15(m): 8:36pm On Jul 11, 2017
juman:
It make sense.

But this government is doing badly on stabilizing electricity here in nigeria.
New ideas are needed.
exactly..
Oga ehiscotch, since kainji dam can't give us all what we need, any other alternative? Like osun river...

What of coal and gas? Do you think it's feasible?
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by bolivnnaija: 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:

I can see you are dam' stupid [pun intended].
Kanji dam generates a good percentage of our electricity. Stop selling to them and you've got no electricity at all, then you start depending on gas, whose pipelines are exposed, vulnerable to vandalism.

Sanction who? On top their own river?
It is a win-win situation for all parties.
I can see that you are an agent for APC. Tell your boss to stop giving us problems or telling us what we already know. We need solution fast to the power situation .
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ugosample(m): 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2017
NoToPile:
Lots of ignorant folks on this thread.

Everybody knows the reason why we sell electricity to those countries. Its not an agreement that was signed yesterday or even five years ago, its been like that for quite a while.

If those countries dam the water nothing is going to flow to naija and that's why the agreement was made in the first place.

People need to read oo.

Don't mind all the ignorant ones talking here.

And you wonder why the country is like this?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by muller101(m): 8:39pm On Jul 11, 2017
Babatunde darkness fall on u
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Idango(m): 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2017
This thing did not begin now during Fashola's tenor. He is just explaining to you. This has been the arrangement for long. And that is how it is possible to keep using the kainji dam. If you think you can do it better, maybe when you become a minister you can change the agreement with Niger and Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Eya, so you took the bait?
If actually they are helping Nigeria through ensuring our dams do not overflow, how come they still have to pay for our electricity?
Basic rule of life, do not give what you do not have!
Since I am your father's mate, it is safe to say, your father, all his brothers are stupid. You? you just dont exist.

Bros,

Pls shut it and take time to read to understand..........less you're sounding more idiotic on something so basic in logic.

Ok let's help you. When Niger builds a Dam on their end of the river Niger, will the "power" of the flow river not have depleted and will make Kainji Power station redundant?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by TonySpike: 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2017
The arrangement between Nigeria and her neighbouring countries sharing River Niger has existed for over 30 years (I think it was agreed upon around 1980's). The arrangement is very simple, provide them electricity and water flowing through River Niger is guaranteed all year round. If Nigeria defaults this agreement, then any of those countries could decide to build their own hydroelectric dam on River Niger in the future. This means that Kainji dam will become useless almost instantly!

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Gayigaskia(m): 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2017
NoToPile:
Lots of ignorant folks on this thread.

Everybody knows the reason why we sell electricity to those countries. Its not an agreement that was signed yesterday or even five years ago, its been like that for quite a while.

If those countries dam the water nothing is going to flow to naija and that's why the agreement was made in the first place.

People need to read oo.

Thank you my brother, those agreement where signed when Nigerians the giant of Africa and was on its way of becoming a world giant.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by davillian(m): 8:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
oga Ehiscotch, may be you should read this suggestion. we should renegotiate or offer something meaningful in return instead of electricity.
Me suggestion is that we find another means of providing power 1st. Before we can give them our own terms and if they say no,then we can ask them to goto he'll.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 8:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
Adek15:
exactly..
Oga ehiscotch, since kainji dam can't give us all what we need, any other alternative? Like osun river...

What of coal and gas? Do you think it's feasible?
Dams are not just sited anywhere. Plus they current dams need rehabilitating and we are getting enough power supply as we should be due to faulty distribution and transmission lines. They need to increase its revenue so as to raise funds to develop coal and gas energy.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

He is right on this bro. If they dam their river ehn! Nigeria own don peme. When it is not dam, no light self.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Young man, you and Fashola make zero sense at all. If we pay for the infrastructure, we could as well pay for the maintenance of the Dam. You seem to think these things need rocket science to do. Whatever the togolese and benenoise have done to help channel water out of the dam or to keep it flowing, we have the capacity to do a 100 times over, so we can enjoy out total output, Instead of selling our generated output to them. It is not as if we are over serviced. simple logic, we sell to make money whereas we are starved.
If I need to tell Fashola or any government official what to do to make things work, then they do not deserve to be in government. if you choose to believe their craap then you are not ready for development.
Again, I am disappointed in Fashola. I can give him a full dossier of alternatives. But then, he is the minister, I am only a citizen.

You are really an OLODO an embarrassment to the educational system.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by deomelo: 8:45pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
just look at your self, does your statement make sense to you? how can you sell what you need.

Have you first asked yourself if it's possible for you to get the electricity you need with no water to dam to generate the same electricity you need because your neighbors dam or have diverted the water before it reaches your country? Exactly how are you going to get your own electricity in the first place with no water to dam for electricity?

The agreement guarantee that they will not dam the River Niger and as such throw Kainji out of action.

I don't know if you people are really clueless, thoughtless and dumb or you are just playing clueless, thoughtless and indeed dump.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Mcreloaded(m): 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
No wonder Nigerians are suffering. We have a very poor thinking government. A government that doesn't care for its people. Do you think if Aso rock depended on that current its giving out, it will continue to give it out? But because its Nigerians that need it right?[/quote]

Hey listen if Benin or Niger should decide to dam their own part of the five to generate their own electricity then kainji dam will cease to exist as it won't have enough water to turn the turbines generation electricity yo Nigerians.
So in other words they are doing Nigeria a favour after all they are paying for the electricity though I expect our Nigerian government to re negotiate the MW they will sell to them so we can have more light time

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Kelvin1971(m): 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
Fashola you no go die better your head l I'm like grinding stone idiot
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by deomelo: 8:50pm On Jul 11, 2017
Idango:
This thing did not begin now during Fashola's tenor. He is just explaining to you. This has been the arrangement for long. And that is how it is possible to keep using the kaini dam. If you think you can do it better, maybe when you become a minister you can change the agreement with Niger and Benin.

Nigeria and Republic of Niger reach power supply agreement
Aug 06, 2001 02:00 AM

Nigeria and the Republic of Niger have reached a fresh agreement that will guarantee uninterrupted power supply to Niger and also guarantee uninterrupted flow of water from Niger to Nigeria's strategic hydro electric power station at Kainji in the central Nigeria's state of Niger. The accord reached after top level discussions between Nigerian Minister of Power and Steel Olusegun Agagu and his Niger's counterpart Yahaya Baare of Mines Ministry in the capital Abuja.
Officials at the Nigerian Ministry of Power and the National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) disclosed that the arrangement between the two countries will ensure that 45 MW of electricity is guaranteed to Niger.
"The amount of electricity to be supplied is just about 1 % of the estimated 4,000 MW to be generated by NEPA at the end of the year. By supplying the country with this, we will also guarantee that they will not dam the River Niger and as such throw Kainji out of action," a NEPA senior official was quoted as saying.

http://www.gasandoil.com/news/africa/ba1cc5c5e0462770fcaabd00baca2eed

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nnemuka(f): 8:50pm On Jul 11, 2017
DoraOwunna qatar to Houston for 27th to return 11aug is 760,000.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ofeakwu(m): 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2017
[img][/img]

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lighthouseman:

no one has right to block even a stream that passes through. blocking it means you are denying people downstream of their source of livelihoods and it could be termed genocide.
imagine someone blocking your way to your office where u make ur livelihood... what would u result to.
It's called riparian rights ... Both the tributor and tributee have right to the water resources including electricity. imagine if nigeria blocked the niger from flowing into the Atlantic ocean what would happen to these countries? They would become rivers and not countries and if it burst... nigeria becomes a river too. It's a win win situation.
If Nigeria blocks the river Niger from flowing into the Atlantic Ocean, Nigeria will get flooded and nothing will happen to those other countries, am laughing uncontrollably here at your stupidity.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by deomelo: 8:55pm On Jul 11, 2017
Mcreloaded:

No wonder Nigerians are suffering. We have a very poor thinking government. A government that doesn't care for its people. Do you think if Aso rock depended on that current its giving out, it will continue to give it out? But because its Nigerians that need it right?

Hey listen if Benin or Niger should decide to dam their own part of the five to generate their own electricity then kainji dam will cease to exist as it won't have enough water to turn the turbines generation electricity yo Nigerians.
So in other words they are doing Nigeria a favour after all they are paying for the electricity though I expect our Nigerian government to re negotiate the MW they will sell to them so we can have more light time

How do you reconcile both highlights?

They are poor thinking and at the same time did the right thing to make sure our turbines doesn't cease to exist.

Are you confused or just talking from both sides of your mouth.?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:55pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:

leathalbeast: :
your assertion is wack because nigeria doesnt sell power to ghana. never repeat that ignorant comment anywhere again.
you think so, maybe you should read about the power station in sapele delta state.

Olodumare o!!!!!!! Where did they get this bush ignoramus from grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Power Station at Sapele? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin supplying power to Ghana?

What dumb research did you do to arrive at something that turns logic on its head. First off why will we even consider supplying Ghana power, when they are not our immediate neighours. Secondly....Sapele to Ghana, Haba! have you considered the infrastructure that will be commited to such useless venture?

Abeg Mods, is there a kindergarten section on NL? This guy needs to be restricted to the place

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Temidayo9(m): 8:56pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
how much MW are we generating? It isn't enough for you and I but our government is willing to share to other countries for money? This is not how countries that want to advance behave. It is laxity to agree to such demand.

Who is this blind man arguing up and down? You mean you never still understand what they have been telling you since?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Hdayo1(m): 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2017
obinnho10:
God knows I really expected a lot from this man. Et tu Fashola
U too Fashola!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by mapet: 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2017
Saliman22:
I pity some of the Nigerians that don't know this, I am a PDP member, my problem now is that Nigerian don't have geography student again, this I was taught in my ss1 the reason Nigeria do give them light, in case benin rep. Contrust their dam, the flow of water to kaiji dam will be reduce and as such the turban will not turn to generate good electricity, the speed of water is high in this their country and is the same force Nigerian is using on kaiji, I just want us to learn, I thought we wanted to asked him the reason we cannot have same light here. Thank u

The problem is students hardly read their books.....when it is not facebook, Instagram or NL

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Picture Of Aso Rock. Has Anyone Got Any? / Governor Yahaya Bello New Look (Photos) / Abba Moro's Sitting Position At Ortom's Inauguration That Got People Talking (pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.