Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola (47984 Views)

Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 / We Now Know Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Ghana / This Is Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic –Minster Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 6:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
well!from your explain it look like a stupid business or it shows that we are not good manager, i cant be giving someone 24 hour electricity and can't boost of five hours of light. we should go back to renegotiate with this countries we are selling electricity to. my opinion though.

There you go again with insipid assertion and flawed analogy. These are relatively small countries with small populations. The power we deem little here could go a long way in solving power issues over there. That is probably why they choose electricity instead.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 6:17pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
how much MW are we generating? It isn't enough for you and I but our government is willing to share to other countries for money? This is not how countries that want to advance behave. It is laxity to agree to such demand.

No wonder Nigerians are suffering. We have a very poor thinking government. A government that doesn't care for its people. Do you think if Aso rock depended on that current its giving out, it will continue to give it out? But because its Nigerians that need it right?
Fortunately, you are not minister. Trying to renegotiate something like this is crass stupidity.
This is not your everyday Nigerian politics where the person that generates calls the other a parasite for benefitting from blah blah blah....
If they block the dam and prevent water from flowing who would be the BIGGER LOSER?
Your country poor power generation cannot be boosted solely by Kanji Dam.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Blue3k(m): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
This offer to Benin and Niger should be a short term thing bro. Replace it with funds or security or something else. But it has been on for years and our electricity issues has been on for decades bro. It shows the unseriousness of the FG.

Ok short term electricity kickback. Then long term payout of money millions and secruity upkeep there. I think we might have the weak hand in negotiations since they can always say why don't we just build dam abd sell you the excess power.

We have other resources government trying to tap like renewable and coal finally. Then there's the gas.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 6:24pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
This offer to Benin and Niger should be a short term thing bro. Replace it with funds or security or something else. But it has been on for years and our electricity issues has been on for decades bro. It shows the unseriousness of the FG.
What if they create their very own dams ?
That invariably puts an end to project Kanji Dam

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by alizma: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Eya, so you took the bait?
If actually they are helping Nigeria through ensuring our dams do not overflow, how come they still have to pay for our electricity?
Basic rule of life, do not give what you do not have!
Since I am your father's mate, it is safe to say, your father, all his brothers are stupid. You? you just dont exist.

only God knows the kind of community that produces this type of father.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 6:27pm On Jul 11, 2017
alizma:
only God knows the kind of community that produces this type of father.
That is cruel.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 7:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:
There you go again with insipid assertion and flawed analogy. These are relatively small countries with small populations. The power we deem little here could go a long way in solving power issues over there. That is probably why they choose electricity instead.
my assertion is not flawed, from my research i discovered that Nigeria sell power to three countries (Benin, Ghana, Togo.) and if you take into account the population of this three countries is close to 50 million people. can you boldly say that 50 million Nigerians have access to electricity. i still stand by my point, we should renegotiate.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 7:05pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
my assertion is not flawed, from my research i discovered that Nigeria sell power to three countries (Benin, Ghana, Togo.) and if you take into account the population of this three countries is close to 50 million people. can you boldly say that 50 million Nigerians have access to electricity. i still stand by my point, we should renegotiate.
Is it only Kainji dam that is generating power for all these countries? Ask Google again.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by NoToPile: 7:08pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lots of ignorant folks on this thread.

Everybody knows the reason why we sell electricity to those countries. Its not an agreement that was signed yesterday or even five years ago, its been like that for quite a while.

If those countries dam the water nothing is going to flow to naija and that's why the agreement was made in the first place.

People need to read oo.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 7:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
mars123:
oga Ehiscotch, may be you should read this suggestion. we should renegotiate or offer something meaningful in return instead of electricity.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 7:20pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
oga Ehiscotch, may be you should read this suggestion. we should renegotiate or offer something meaningful in return instead of electricity.
You also need to read this:

Niger river has an elevation in Niger and Benin
Republic, geographically ok for them to construct
the dam, if we allowed that, we wont have anything
and Niger wont give us anything either.
I think Egypt and Ethiopia has a similar agreement
on the Nile river. What do you know?
Block head calling himself an elder.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 7:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
NoToPile:
Lots of ignorant folks on this thread.

Everybody knows the reason why we sell electricity to those countries. Its not an agreement that was signed yesterday or even five years ago, its been like that for quite a while.

If those countries dam the water nothing is going to flow to naija and that's why the agreement was made in the first place.

People need to read oo.
Nigerians are easily the most ignorant people on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 7:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:
Is it only Kainji dam that is generating power for all these countries? Ask Google again.
since Kenji dam is not the only source of power to these countries. the more reason we should renegotiate for them to leave it for us. you can call me greedy fellow no problem

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by leathalbeast: 7:26pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
your assertion is wack because nigeria doesnt sell power to ghana. never repeat that ignorant comment anywhere again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 7:32pm On Jul 11, 2017
Ehiscotch:
You also need to read this:

Niger river has an elevation in Niger and Benin
Republic, geographically ok for them to construct
the dam, if we allowed that, we wont have anything
and Niger wont give us anything either.
I think Egypt and Ethiopia has a similar agreement
on the Nile river. What do you know?
Block head calling himself an elder.
first i did not call my self elder, maybe you did not read my mention very well.

your explanation is ok, maybe i will try and do more research on this topic likewise on Egypt and Ethiopia

you can drive your point without insulting me

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 7:36pm On Jul 11, 2017
leathalbeast:
your assertion is wack because nigeria doesnt sell power to ghana. never repeat that ignorant comment anywhere again.
you think so, maybe you should read about the power station in sapele delta state.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by leathalbeast: 7:49pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
you think so, maybe you should read about the power station in sapele delta state.
go and read it well.. nigeria supplies ghana with gas and not power. dont let your people lie to you.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by jieta: 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
leathalbeast:
go and read it well.. nigeria supplies ghana with gas and not power. dont let your people lie to you.
you win
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by admindim: 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
nawa
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by emmy4lov(m): 8:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
© Shockproof Transparent Protective Casing For Iphone, Samsung Available
https://www.nairaland.com/3907141/shockproof-transparent-protective-casing-iphone
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Lighthouseman: 8:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
its called riparian rights.
Riparian water rights (or simply riparian rights) is a system for allocating water among those who possess land along its path. It has its origins in English common law. Riparian water rights exist in many jurisdictions with a common law heritage.
so since the river niger isn't a tributore unto itself and it's origin isn't in nigeria, these countries along the path of the river have a RIGHT to access resources from the river including electricity.
What we don't know is the allocation formular and percentage that was reached with our riparian neighbours.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by bbbabes(f): 8:11pm On Jul 11, 2017
Because Nigeria is a big fool
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Ehiscotch(m): 8:12pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
first i did not call my self elder, maybe you did not read my mention very well.

your explanation is ok, maybe i will try and do more research on this topic likewise on Egypt and Ethiopia

you can drive your point without insulting me
LOL. I quoted an earlier statement. Pardon me. Do not mind the last line.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by yanjutomi(m): 8:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.
they will neva accept any other thing, they once told nigeria dat they want to build there own dam. Automatically kanji and shiroro will go dry and your hydro generation plant is finished..... France, UN and co will loan dem money to construct there dam and Nigeria power generation will sour

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:
Fashola we trusted you, now you are spewing this nonsense? Which dam? ehn? stop selling to them, when they overflow the dam, sanction them. sell something else not what you do not have in abundance.
You obviously don't know what u are saying..
We should thank our stars that they even agreed to buy and not get for free. I guess we used our political and economic leverage in West Africa to get a good deal. Pls on this matter don't even vex them o becos we would lose big time.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by rottennaija(m): 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2017
ElSherriff:

Obviously, you don't even understand what is said. Besides, the agreement was there before you were even born

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by juman(m): 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2017
It make sense.

But this government is doing badly on stabilizing electricity here in nigeria.
New ideas are needed.
Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Saliman22(m): 8:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
I pity some of the Nigerians that don't know this, I am a PDP member, my problem now is that Nigerian don't have geography student again, this I was taught in my ss1 the reason Nigeria do give them light, in case benin rep. Contrust their dam, the flow of water to kaiji dam will be reduce and as such the turban will not turn to generate good electricity, the speed of water is high in this their country and is the same force Nigerian is using on kaiji, I just want us to learn, I thought we wanted to asked him the reason we cannot have same light here. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2017
jieta:
well!from your explain it look like a stupid business or it shows that we are not good manager, i cant be giving someone 24 hour electricity and can't boost of five hours of light. we should go back to renegotiate with this countries we are selling electricity to. my opinion though.

If we were a serious nation we would take the revenue we generate from selling to them and use it to develop other sustainable forms of electricity generation.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Sells Electricity To Niger, Benin Republic – Fashola by Lighthouseman: 8:28pm On Jul 11, 2017
kuuljay:
doesn't work that way bro, just google Ethiopia and Egypt tussle over Nile and educate yourself,nobody owns a river,na the one wet pass inside your land be your own,you can even block it if you have the means Eno concern anybody
no one has right to block even a stream that passes through. blocking it means you are denying people downstream of their source of livelihoods and it could be termed genocide.
imagine someone blocking your way to your office where u make ur livelihood... what would u result to.
It's called riparian rights ... Both the tributor and tributee have right to the water resources including electricity. imagine if nigeria blocked the niger from flowing into the Atlantic ocean what would happen to these countries? They would become rivers and not countries and if it burst... nigeria becomes a river too. It's a win win situation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Supreme Court Adjourns New Naira Note Suit Till February 22 / Emir Sanusi And Osinbajo In A Closed-Door Meeting (Photos) / Nigeria’s Treasury ‘virtually Empty’ Says Buhari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.