Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (626881 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by kayjay007(m): 2:27pm On Nov 06, 2017
I nominate souloho for a Grammy...sorry, I meant Nobel price for literature. you rock, man!!!

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by obicoolnino: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2017
Keep it rolling...ur story is a classic
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Bensam2040(m): 6:32pm On Nov 06, 2017
Chaii bath joystick has gone and gone for good. Please they should really keep an eye on that pa Kenneth ooh. I fear that man pass bartholome ooh
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 8:06pm On Nov 06, 2017
tillaman:
Nice one bro
REALLY?!!!
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by tillaman(m): 8:14pm On Nov 06, 2017
You don't Think Its nice?
Mobecs:

REALLY?!!!
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 06, 2017
smileysmileykiss

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by officialflex(f): 5:14am On Nov 07, 2017
Uncle solouho update naa am here again as usual
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Silensa(m): 7:53am On Nov 07, 2017
officialflex:
Uncle solouho update naa am here again as usual

Did you even sleep or are u now the guardian of uncle souloho

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by light4life(f): 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
Hehehe...kai! You either reap what you sow, or loose your machete! Well done Souloho!
I'm yearning for the end..
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by fadahunsilegend(f): 5:07pm On Nov 07, 2017
One German thing am learning from this story is the danger in been very secretive.
Hmm it's really bad.
Thumbs up souloho19

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by stteejax(m): 9:22am On Nov 08, 2017
Started from d top now we here..highly captivating, intriguing.. Lovely.. Couldn't close my eyes 4 a sec.. Thumbs up Soul. U r one great writer..

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by chiexcel: 10:46am On Nov 08, 2017
pls come nd update
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
Thanks for your comments FAM...
Update is almost ready, just steaming it on low heat.
wink

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by rchilee: 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2017
souloho19:
Thanks for your comments FAM...
Update is almost ready, just steaming it on low heat.
wink

Can't wait
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by meneski(m): 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2017
souloho19:
Thanks for your comments FAM... Update is almost ready, just steaming it on low heat. wink
Just the way bart likes it.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by oluwaemmanuel: 12:54pm On Nov 08, 2017
souloho19:
Thanks for your comments FAM... Update is almost ready, just steaming it on low heat. wink
Good job so far.. please do update.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nphzzycute(f): 1:32pm On Nov 08, 2017
grin grin grin

it's not easy undecided
finally caught up with you guys.

UPDATE!!!!!!
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Teebilion: 2:08pm On Nov 08, 2017
I started just yesterday,i cant help but say ,souloho19 got real talent,u r just xo amazing,ur descriptive prowess,use of flashbacks,handling suspense and putting fear and still wanting the reader to hear more is just amazing,u r a greater achebe,God bless bro

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by dammypat(f): 3:29pm On Nov 08, 2017
This work has kept me glued to my phone for days now,you did a great job Mr,may your cistern of wisdom n inspiration never dry up,million thumbs for you
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Creeza(m): 9:55pm On Nov 08, 2017
Wow! Am stunned. Souloho deserves an award
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:34pm On Nov 08, 2017
Creeza:
Wow! Am stunned. Souloho deserves an award

Lol thanks bro

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Pinkfeet: 10:35pm On Nov 08, 2017
souloho19:
we are waiting
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:36pm On Nov 08, 2017
dammypat:
This work has kept me glued to my phone for days now,you did a great job Mr,may your cistern of wisdom n inspiration never dry up,million thumbs for you

Amen..a million thanks for you too smiley

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
Teebilion:
I started just yesterday,i cant help but say ,souloho19 got real talent,u r just xo amazing,ur descriptive prowess,use of flashbacks,handling suspense and putting fear and still wanting the reader to hear more is just amazing,u r a greater achebe,God bless bro

Gracias bro..I appreciate.. Jah bless
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 10:55pm On Nov 08, 2017
A crowd had already gathered at the market square.
By then the news had spread to all corners of the village.
Bartholomew the devil had been caught.
He was going to be executed.
There were hushed murmurs between the villagers. News always has a tendency to travel like wild fire, especially negative news of this kind and more than once Pa Kenneth's name was whispered within the crowd as the people wondered what role he played in the murders. There was a lot of rumours. They didn't know what to believe again.
When the war cry drew nearer, the villagers began to get restless, their voices were raised and before long they joined the chanting of the youths as the young men came into view.
"Ja ja kere..kere o..kere o...ja ja Kere...!"

°•°•°•
The devil was quarter to his grave already. He had lost excess blood, in litres and his skin had broken apart in so many spots as a result of the friction when he was dragged roughly from Pa Kenneth's house to the market square.

Benedict looked around. It was obvious he was searching for an elder. Any of the three leaders to take charge of the proceedings at this point but none of the elders were in sight.
Finally he held his hands up signalling silence and the incessant chatter from the crowd died down immediately.

"People of Amaife here is the devil! The man who raped and killed our daughters for so long..he started with Ozioma..Chinenye..Chisom...Ezinne...mama Ozioma...Chinaza..."
His voice broke as he called the last name. Indeed he had really loved Chinanza. Her murder had been his stressor, driven him to obsession to find the killer.

After some seconds he continued his speech. "This man we all looked up to as an upstanding member of our community..we turned to him for spiritual guidance, went to his church every week and yet he insulted us! Insulted us by praying for us and praying for the souls of the deceased...the very same people he killed!" His voice grew hard as he spoke and his eyes narrowed.
"People of Amaife its up to you...he is guilty as charged is he not?"
The crowd chorused "yes! Yes! He is guilty!"
The butcher nodded "what is his sentence?"
"Death!" They chorused in a uniform voice. "Death!"
"Good!" Benedict nodded. "Death by hanging?" He boomed the question.
"No!" The majority chorused, only very few agreed with the method.
"Okay.." Benedict began to pace. It was evident he was going to be one of the elders of the community when he grew older. He was an orator, a leader and full of charisma and he was well respected.
"Death by stoning?" He asked again.
"No!" This time a larger portion of the crowd agreed to this method. The villagers relished this method, to unleash their anger by hurling large stones and rocks at this inhuman killer.
But still the majority didn't agree.
Benedict was quiet for some seconds probably thinking of another way Bartholomew should be killed.
"Death by burning?" He asked finally.
"Yes!" They chorused. They all agreed with the burning suggestion and only a hand few didn't agree.
"Death by burning?" He asked again.
"Yes! Yes! Death by burning!" They all chorused again. There was no refusal this time around.
"It is settled" Bartholomew agreed.

°•°•°°•
The men were almost at Pa Kenneth's house when they saw a young woman running frantically.
She was obviously in a hurry and passed them without even acknowledging their presence and greeting them.
It was Ezinne's mother.
"Mama Ezinne where are you running to?" Dé John asked her.
She didn't stop but reduced her pace.
"Didn't you hear? The devil has been caught..Bartholomew is in the market square he is going to be executed.. Justice will be served at last...my sweet Ezinne can finally rest in peace"
She hurried off.

Pa Kenneth's eyes were immediately hard. He froze, causing Reverend Okorie to walk into him and bump against his back.
"Move...move you old man!" Gregory shouted at him from behind. He was still very much angry and he was in pain. He held a handkerchief to his ear which was almost completely stained with his blood

Dé John spoke up from the rear.
"Let's move then...let's go to the market square and see what's going on...we need to hurry"
The small group took a different turn and headed to the market square.

°•°•°•
Back in Pa Kenneth's compound, Paul stirred awake.
He held the back of his neck and winced. He looked round the corridor slowly, taking in all the faces. "What happened...who are you?"
Oluchi left Sofiri's side and hurried to her brother.
"Paul..Paul..thank God"
But Paul looked at her blankly "who is Paul? Where am I? Who are you?"
"Paul its me Oluchi...your sister...you're scaring me" Oluchi was beginning to panic.
Paul just looked at her blankly.
It was clear he was suffering from memory loss and Amara hoped the amnesia was only temporary.

Joy helped Dé Nwachukwu to his feet. Thankfully his own memory was still intact.
"My daughter...thank goodness you're alright.." He looked at Paul then at Sofiri
"Is he alright?" He asked nodding towards Sofiri.
"No Dé...he's gone, he's dead Sir" Oluchi replied tearing her eyes from her brother for a second.
"Where's Bartholomew?" He asked offering Amara his hand and helping her to her feet.
"The youths took him to the market square" Amara replied as she got to her feet.
"Then we need to go there immediately" he looked at Paul. "Young man I appreciate your effort today...let's go, I assure you you'll be rewarded"
"What are you saying? Who's Paul...where is this place for God's sake!"
Oluchi began sobbing quietly but Dé Nwachukwu stopped her. "Come let's go...don't cry, it would he okay...at least he's alive...look at Sofiri..." He fell silent as he studied Bartholomew's brother for some seconds.
He finally looked away "help him to his feet let's go"
Amara and Oluchi helped Paul to his feet ignoring the questions he asked continuously.
"Who am I? Who are you? Where are you taking me?"

°•°•°•°•
Reverend Okorie was surprised to see the crowd gathered at the market square. He followed Pà Kenneth slowly, a hand placed nonchalantly but firmly on the elder's shoulder, looking at the faces as the people moved back creating a path for them.

°•^•°•
Pa Kenneth lost the little grip he had on sanity when he saw his son lying on the floor like a piece of rag.
A young man was arranging tires, fixing it round his body like an engagement ring pushed into a finger.
"No...no...No..." He gasped clutching his chest in pain. It looked like he was going to have a heart attack but he made a promise to himself.
No one was going to leave this market square alive! They were all going to die.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Olori1992: 11:03pm On Nov 08, 2017
more pls pls pls pls pls pls,dis is getting more interesting
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by rchilee: 11:09pm On Nov 08, 2017
Hmmm
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Dotwillis1(m): 11:20pm On Nov 08, 2017
Souloho no wan make this tory finish grin
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by FreshestManny(m): 11:29pm On Nov 08, 2017
Ewo! 'All going to die?'. I'm beginning to suspect that pa Kenneth has some kind of inhuman powers. Thumbs up Souloho I'm still following.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / False Pretenses <1ST POSITION, ROMANCE STORY OF THE YEAR AWARD, 2013>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.