Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? (22022 Views)

Zoology Vs Food Science: Which Has More Prospects? / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering / Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2017
Dollarship:
Explain pls
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Criminal
njur57:
boost your account and see details below

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by monex(m): 8:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
Lol

How can anybody even think computer science has maths.

Computer science is all about logic. The highest maths they can have is conversion from base 10 to base 2 or base 16.

Nonsense.
computer science has computational maths (numerical maths, linear algebra), calculus, probability etc.

the bolded couldnt be further from the truth
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by biolaowo(m): 8:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Lol I just graduated from chemical engineering OAU., CHE303 transport phenomenon over 100 formulars che 301 mass transfer over 80 fromulars and che 405 hear transfer over 70 formulas
All this 3 courses are just a section in chemical engineering and I did over 78 courses
I won't say chemical engineering is the hardest but in terms of formulas hmmmm
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Chyxki: 8:37am On Jul 26, 2017
My dear if you don't know maths please run for your safety o, because at undergraduate level Computer Science is nothing close to Chemical Engineering... back then in school it was the most difficult engineering department 'academicwise'.

However, the best thing is to do that stuff you can't stop being passionate about.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 26, 2017
One is 1+1 the other is dydx
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by femi4: 8:41am On Jul 26, 2017
Raymondboyvic:
Please i need your advice on which has more maths as a degree
computer now, infact computer is the application of mathematical principles
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by yelinco1(m): 8:43am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
Lol

Computer science is all about logic. The highest maths they can have is conversion from base 10 to base 2 or base 16.

Nonsense.
YOU ARE VERY WRONG. I DID MATH TILL MY 500L. EVEN IN COMPUTER GRAPHICS, I DID SOME 2D-3D CONVERSION. WE DID BORROWED SOME MATH COURSES TOO AND SOME MATH ARE IN COMPUTER PERFORMANCE EVALUATION AS WELL BUT THE TRUTH MUST BE TOLD, THE MATHS ARE NOT THAT VERY COMPLEX LIKE THAT OF ENGINEERING.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by freshest4live: 8:43am On Jul 26, 2017
Chyxki:
My dear if you don't know maths please run for your safety o, because at undergraduate level Computer Science is nothing close to Chemical Engineering... back then in school it was the most difficult engineering department 'academicwise'.

However, the best thing is to do that stuff you can't stop being passionate about.
Yeah only mechanical engineering is more diverse or complex than chemical.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Whizzcute(m): 8:44am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
Lol

Nonsense.
really?

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Chemstar: 8:46am On Jul 26, 2017
With my experience in ND in computer engineering and now a final year student of chemical engineering, I can say that chemical engineering is a hell lot of mathematics more than computer science.
In fact, in my part four, it got to a point when one of my lecturers had to tell us that those who came to chemical engineering thinking they are going to be mixing chemicals are in the wrong dept.
He told us point blank that chemical engineering is mathematics. All the courses in chemical engineering are mathematical even biochemical engineering

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by bodmas3000(m): 8:50am On Jul 26, 2017
Well to my own understanding I studied Mechanical Engineering and during my years in the university I hear my friends from Chemical Engineering that their courses are hard oo and they need to study extra so that they understand it and those my friends in Computer Engineering don't really complain and I did some courses in computer in 200level and 300 level I find it very easy so I therefore conclude that Chemical Engineering is more tasking than Computer Engineering if u want to go for lesser calculations go for Computer engineering .
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Saxifrage12(m): 8:53am On Jul 26, 2017
Dhellake:

This is not correct.

Before any computer science student starts Algorithm Analysis and the likes, you need to have a proper understanding of some maths concepts.

I am a Computer Science Undergraduate and I did all this maths concepts you listed and many more (Linear Algebra, Abstract Algeria, Taylor's series, MacLaurin, Fourier And Laplace Transform). And many more.

To the OP, the only difference is most maths done in computer science are not exactly calculations, they are e mainly analysis, just understanding concepts and replicating them, not the Gung Ho maths.

The think computer science is all about pressing computer.
make them go ask those my course mate girls
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 26, 2017
bodmas3000:
Well to my own understanding I studied Mechanical Engineering and during my years in the university I hear my friends from Chemical Engineering that their courses are hard oo and they need to study extra so that they understand it and those my friends in Computer Engineering don't really complain and I did some courses in computer in 200level and 300 level I find it very easy so I therefore conclude that Chemical Engineering is more tasking than Computer Engineering if u want to go for lesser calculations go for Computer engineering .
computer science

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by jessetom(m): 8:54am On Jul 26, 2017
I'm a Chemical Enginering u'grad(4th year) and I am also exposed to the computer science and stuff cos I do lots of coding.

I would say(without being bias) that all engineering degrees have way too much maths compared to computer science(and if you with the motin that CompSci is "CompSci and maths", just waka past).

Engineering degrees even go up to the extent of applying coding and other CompSci techniques to solve problems, but CompSci knows nothing about us.
In my degree program I have used coding(esp python and the Scipy,Numpy, Matplotlib amongst others) to solve problems in most of my classes as the maths involved are getting way too complex to solve by hand. I've used Neural networks and many other tools that should belong to CompSci too...

I don't know where those people that say CompSci has more maths are coming from....

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by jessetom(m): 8:55am On Jul 26, 2017
I'm a Chemical Enginering u'grad(4th year) and I am also exposed to the computer science and stuff cos I do lots of coding.

I would say(without being bias) that all engineering degrees have way too much maths compared to computer science(and if you with the motin that CompSci is "CompSci and maths", just waka past).

Engineering degrees even go up to the extent of applying coding and other CompSci techniques to solve problems, but CompSci knows nothing about us.
In my degree program I have used coding(esp python and the Scipy,Numpy, Matplotlib amongst others) to solve problems in most of my classes as the maths involved are getting way too complex to solve by hand. I've used Neural networks, Machine learning and many other tools that should belong to CompSci too...

I don't know where those people that say CompSci has more maths are coming from....
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Dhellake: 8:56am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
I'm no talking of the borrowed courses people do in 100 and 200 levels.
I am talking about the core dept. Courses.

Lol. In Numerical Computations 1 and 2. You do core maths using calculus (Integration and differentiation ) for computations. It's no jokes fam. In some core courses like Complexity analysis, you'll be making use of some abstract algebra and real analysis concepts.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by deebsman1(m): 8:56am On Jul 26, 2017
Raymondboyvic:

As a computer scientist, computer science don't av much of calculations but be ready for some crazy algorithms and programs. Its more of analytic mathematics.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by EbonyMira(f): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2017
Computer science definitely has more calculations.
Science - is basically theories and proofs
Engineering - is science applied.

The calculations in chemical engineering has a degree of complexity to it.

I read someone's post associating 4X4 Matrix to chemical engineering. LOL

Computer science has complex maths o. You only see them at the PHD and Masters level. Most schools in Nigeria are BASICally outdated- Teaching FORTRAN and other dead languages.

When you go into AI- facial recognition- regression analysis - Application of eigen vectors and matrices in eigen faces to map out vertex point in a facial mesh. You'll know.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Dhellake: 9:00am On Jul 26, 2017
Saxifrage12:

The think computer science is all about pressing computer.
make them go ask those my course mate girls

Lol. One of my Maths Lectures in year one (A Professor ) had to clear us in one of his class "For those of you in Computer Science, if you think you are in this school to just press keyboard, you have lost it. Before you get to that stage, you have to be MATHEMATICAL MATURED "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Juniorbuba(m): 9:05am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
Lol

Nonsense.
if u don't have thorough knowledge on a particular topic,please I beg of you don't post anything concerning it,computer science has far more complex reasoning and calculations than mere base conversion. It is not called Computer Science and Mathematics for calling sake.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by quenton02: 9:06am On Jul 26, 2017
Both courses offer Numerical methods and Analysis but Program have been developed to handle such problems.
Answer to the question computer science: you offer discrete maths, statistics and NMA.
Example; the development of a scientific calculator needs a lot of knowledge in maths, advance game development requires deep knowledge in calculus, you also do logics and OS and complex programming languages like c++ and java.
In conclusion computer science is maths in a more advanced form without knowledge maths you can't survive. Just go for IT or IS
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by figure007(m): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2017
Bluebrain101:
this isn't supposed to be a comparison bcus computer science isn't just called computer science it's called Computer science and Mathematics
am a graduate of computer science and what you just said is nothing but the fact.. .its computer science and mathematics.. .Alot of math.. Alot of math that almost led to spill over self. ..hmmmmm
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by bayulll011(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2017
Raymondboyvic:

as a chemical engineer,there is no mathematics i dint do that computer science did not do.

for chemical engineering be ready to do immaginary calculations and relates its with chemical equations.

if you are not good in maths and can reason critically and analytically pls go for computer science
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by jessetom(m): 9:10am On Jul 26, 2017
Raymondboyvic:
i have a brother studying computer science,i love the two degrees,am good in maths but not that super good ,,and he told me computer has more maths skill compared to chemical...chemical mainly all about chemistry....i had my OND last year@auchi polythecnic electrical/elcTroniCs eng....so wrote jamb this year putting chemical engineering uniport scored 271 ....SO NOW M REALLY CONFUSED!..if to consider a change of course,,

WARNING!!!
if you go into Chemical Engineering looking for chemistry or chemistry-like subjects, you'd be disappointed! Because the only chemistry stuff you'll do is general chemistry in your freshman year.
Chemical engineering has no chemistry as from 200l till final year. Many of my coursemates that dive into Chemical engineering in the search for chemistry are disappointed and ain't doing so well right now(4th year). The only thing the found was math and design and some EE and ME and also some shit!
If you wanna study ChemE, abeg really go on the net and read about it. The name is quite deluding, I'd prefer Process Engineering as a name.
But you can pm me for more if you wish...

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by figure007(m): 9:10am On Jul 26, 2017
Cacawa2:
Lol

Nonsense.
i don't think you are a csc graduate cos if you are you won't say this. Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by freshest4live: 9:17am On Jul 26, 2017
figure007:
am a graduate of computer science and what you just said is nothing but the fact.. .its computer science and mathematics.. .Alot of math.. Alot of math that almost led to spill over self. ..hmmmmm
What you guys don't understand is that chemical engineers also do programming and codes, and apply all these to complex calculations. A chemical engineer could be more comfortable in a computer science class but a computer scientist would fly out through the window in a process dynamics lecture.

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by bayulll011(m): 9:18am On Jul 26, 2017
avicenna1:

you are right my fellow. Some people believe chemical engineering is all about chemistry but they are wrong. There is no single course in chemical engineering without calculation. By the time you start doing transport phenomena and chemical engineering analysis you go hear am.

u did not mention Thermodynamics and seperations,even biomedical calculations some interestings and final year you have to battle with optimization guy lol no think am

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by freshest4live: 9:20am On Jul 26, 2017
EbonyMira:
Computer science definitely has more calculations.
Science - is basically theories and proofs
Engineering - is science applied.

The calculations in chemical engineering has a degree of complexity to it.

I read someone's post associating 4X4 Matrix to chemical engineering. LOL

Computer science has complex maths o. You only see them at the PHD and Masters level. Most schools in Nigeria are BASICally outdated- Teaching FORTRAN and other dead languages.

When you go into AI- facial recognition- regression analysis - Application of eigen vectors and matrices in eigen faces to map out vertex point in a facial mesh. You'll know.
Interesting. Chemical engineers do all these and apply them all along to Masters' level.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 26, 2017
Computer scince only solve maths in there 1st year and second how sure are you
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by bayulll011(m): 9:23am On Jul 26, 2017
freshest4live:

What you guys don't understand is that chemical engineers also do programming and codes, and apply all these to complex calculations. A chemical engineer could be more comfortable in a computer science class but a computer scientist would fly out through the window in a process dynamics lecture.

jump kee,lol he will think we are talking in alien language.

proud chemical enginer.

what a shame our country dont make use of us.

instead we find ourself in bank
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? by marvin902(m): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
sorry to say buh computer science deals with logic not calculation..
even the logic depends on the branch of comp sci you want to be involved in..
some branch doesn't need much buh some will make you mad grin grin grin

#proud comp sci..
well decamping anyways grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Apply for David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship For Undergraduate Students 2016 / Faculty Of Social Sciences Benue State University Building Collapses / From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.