Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,008 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? (22667 Views)

N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job / White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? / Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 30, 2017
phayvoursky:
Goodday NLanders,

I really don't know to place this but I hope you'll get my point.

I and a friend had this lenghty discussion recently on the paths of our careers. Many ideas kept coming up in the course of our discussion.

I noticed all my friend was throwing at me was govt job and govt job. He talked on how secured and less busy govt workers at work cause he has a sister and his Dad who currently works and got retired in the same parastatal. Also talked about the benefits that follows after retirement and the ample time you have to control your private business (which i disagree on). He threw many juicy benefits about govt job and I began to give it a thought.

Now to me; I am a very business savvy guy. Nothing thrills me more than seeing a successful business man/woman or hearing a great business idea. I see youths and individuals into business doing exploits and they have all the time to their selves, call the shots and are not mentally lazy.

I picked a point from him where he said govt employees can control their business and still be in the govt system with other benefits.

I am seeking advise on this so that i know which is best

Thanks.

pls do the needful

You can be a government worker and still be a full time business man. Government workers don't do anything, they are a drag on our GDP.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by dgagar(m): 5:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
nah handiwork pay juuuu. proud to be a builder.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by bencarson007(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2017
theophorus:

Do you know how many Businesses failed after 10years...

Think about your Pensions and Gratuity...
Think about the Process of Completing Contracts.
Think about the "Entrepreneurial responsibility"
Think about it and Pray because...Hmmm.

My Boss Father was one of the Nigeria Elite in the 70's. Now my Boss is worried and said if .... had known ... would have settle for Public service even if ... allowance was more that the Annual salary of public servant.

Old now but there is no Pension.

Stop thinking like a lazy man.
As a good business man, you save up your own pension and gratuity.

Take this real example.
A Toyota Sienna space bus makes an average of #40,000 per trip between Benin and Lagos. So for two trips, the driver make #80,000 per day undisturbed. And #480,000 per wee excluding sundays.

What would you do if you were that driver?
So you can save your pesion from there abi?

How many government jobs pay you #1,920,000/month?
Old age is not a factor here at all because you should as a wise man pay up your pension from proceeds like this.
#RespectsBoss
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by phayvoursky(m): 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
KellyBethy:

I'm always happy to hear people with business mindset talk. A job makes you a slave, a business empowers you. Your children can't inherit your job but they can inherit your business. What joy do you derive from building some else's dream and forgetting your own dreams. You get paid N10,000 000 for 35 years of service when business people can make this amount in one or two years. Your one month salary as an employee is what someone makes in a a day. If you know you're tired of carrying that brown envelope only to be told "we'll get back to you" and no one ever gets back to you, if you know you are tired of earning a chicken change, or you already have a business and wish to build more, leave your contact. We'll offer you a business opportunity that is indispensable not job. I worked for 12 years of my life with nothing to show for it before I embraced this opportunity that has made a difference in my life in just a short time.

I need to hear you.
08167521178. Thanks
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by DWJOBScom(m): 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2017
MadCow1:
Stupid question..

A personal successful business is second to nothing.

A Government job is for mentally lazy people who want a job where are guaranteed they will never get fired (thanks to the unions) and where when they retire, they will keep enjoying a meagre pension.

Sadly those people die pretty frustrated and with nothing to leave their next of kin.

God bless you o!

Found myself saying that to someone recently and she almost felt I was denying her heaven
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by semasir: 6:13pm On Jul 30, 2017
So pathetic that nothing achieved from the years ventured working for others. I have been fortunate to work for 2.5yrs for someone and achieved something meaningful and just got another offer too which I wish to replicate another instance too.

As the case may be, I also run a petty business with which I can even get sales more than the current earnings a times within same duration but not same profit. It's really not about the type of work - govt or private but the personality involved after all, civil servants are the most corrupt set of people to deal with as most compromise standards as the sample cited.

KellyBethy:

I'm always happy to hear people with business mindset talk. A job makes you a slave, a business empowers you. Your children can't inherit your job but they can inherit your business. What joy do you derive from building some else's dream and forgetting your own dreams. You get paid N10,000 000 for 35 years of service when business people can make this amount in one or two years. Your one month salary as an employee is what someone makes in a a day. If you know you're tired of carrying that brown envelope only to be told "we'll get back to you" and no one ever gets back to you, if you know you are tired of earning a chicken change, or you already have a business and wish to build more, leave your contact. We'll offer you a business opportunity that is indispensable not job. I worked for 12 years of my life with nothing to show for it before I embraced this opportunity that has made a difference in my life in just a short time.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by vertueptime: 6:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
Govmnt job is like free money, no headache, private the harder u work the more u MIGHT earn, no certainty, plenty risk and plenty headache but if u succeed then it is very sweet, the. You will now come back for govmnt connection for your biz to prosper more
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by vertueptime: 6:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
Govmnt job is like free money, no headache, private the harder u work the more u MIGHT earn, no certainty, plenty risk and plenty headache but if u succeed then it is very sweet, then You will now come back for govmnt connection for your biz to prosper more
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by julietm123: 7:49pm On Jul 30, 2017
Government job is better. You can still do your private business on the side. Federal government job is the best especially if you deploy to state IE you are not in Abuja.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by julietm123: 7:52pm On Jul 30, 2017
Government job is better especially federal government job. Just make them send /deploy you to your state or a statement you are familiar with. You will have a lot of time on your hands for business.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Gentlesoul96(m): 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
Government job is better In term of job security compare to that of private company where you can b fire out at any time, and this usually b the time when someone will need money most
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by proffmanue(m): 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
Either Government or Private Job, the wise option is to hv multiple source of income : this is the real financial security. I can't stand watching retirees asking for their pension on TV. ..
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by theophorus(m): 8:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
bencarson007:

Stop thinking like a lazy man.
As a good business man, you save up your own pension and gratuity.

Take this real example.
A Toyota Sienna space bus makes an average of #40,000 per trip between Benin and Lagos. So for two trips, the driver make #80,000 per day undisturbed. And #480,000 per wee excluding sundays.

What would you do if you were that driver?
So you can save your pesion from there abi?

How many government jobs pay you #1,920,000/month?
Old age is not a factor here at all because you should as a wise man pay up your pension from proceeds like this.
#RespectsBoss

StrongMan.

I hail you ooo.
Na you be Boss.

FYI
I studied Agricultural Economics,
My Dad was a transporter before going to be with the Lord.
My Mum is still into Trading (Though 60+)

Let me just keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by bencarson007(m): 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2017
theophorus:

StrongMan.

I hail you ooo.
Na you be Boss.

FYI
I studied Agricultural Economics,
My Dad was a transporter before going to be with the Lord.
My Mum is still into Trading (Though 60+)

Let me just keep quiet.

Lol
You are a real mature person and I must commend you on your reply.

Well while your dad might have been a transporter while alive, it is also good that I tell you that we all have different business strategies for the same business.

I once drove a cab in Benin. While other drivers complain that they hardly make 8k per day, I consistently make 20k per day and I concluded that they were lazy ass people. How can you park your vehicle on one spot from dawn to dust and be praying people come along and ask for car hire service ?
I realised this and decided to always rove with the vehicle and not to engage in stupid banter with the guys that park their vehicles on one spot and wait for manna to fall from heaven. And God blessed me with it.
So that's what I was trying to say with my post.
I dare you to give me 1.5m right now and see if I will not do an 80% ROI in 6 months... That's business!
Prepare for your own pension!
Do you think Dangote will be worried about pension and gratuity at old age?
Run your business well and it will pay you in old age.

#Respects sir.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by theophorus(m): 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
bencarson007:

Lol
You are a real mature person and I must commend you on your reply.

Well while your dad might have been a transporter while alive, it is also good that I tell you that we all have different business strategies for the same business.

I once drove a cab in Benin. While other drivers complain that they hardly make 8k per day, I consistently make 20k per day and I concluded that they were lazy ass people. How can you park your vehicle on one spot from dawn to dust and be praying people come along and ask for car hire service ?
I realised this and decided to always rove with the vehicle and not to engage in stupid banter with the guys that park their vehicles on one spot and wait for manna to fall from heaven. And God blessed me with it.
So that's what I was trying to say with my post.
I dare you to give me 1.5m right now and see if I will not do an 80% ROI in 6 months... That's business!
Prepare for your own pension!
Do you think Dangote will be worried about pension and gratuity at old age?
Run your business well and it will pay you in old age.

#Respects sir.

Thanks Bro.

I got a Wisdom from this your last Reply.

Thanks once again.

GodBless You.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Teenaira: 8:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
One of the big problems Nigeria is facing now is the civil service. Everything is just wrong about the civil service. Forget about all this change slogan. There is hardly any government establishment you can go to get anything done without giving a bribe. If you don't give, then whatever you came to do will not be done. Infact, your file can easily dissapear !!!

So government work is already a business because you got to negotiate the terms and play ball to get anything done. This is both at local government, state and federal government.

So my brother, if you are able to get a good government job, please grab it with two hands

1 Like

Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by lereinter(m): 9:08pm On Jul 30, 2017
izzou:
Osun state is owing their doctors almost 22 months salaries

Benue, Bayelsa and the rest are owing too. Hope you know they are government workers too?

The only secure job is the one that you can employ yourself, give your self compulsory leave, pay yourself, decide to come late or close early, etc

The only secure job is the one that you call the shots

what of capital if u got no sponsor......
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by bencarson007(m): 9:13pm On Jul 30, 2017
theophorus:

Thanks Bro.

I got a Wisdom from this your last Reply.

Thanks once again.

GodBless You.

Bros na God get power jare.
We as the youths need to learn how to drive the economy since we cannot control the government.

As an ex-banker with two of Nigeria's top banks for almost 8years, I can beat my chest and say I can run any business successfully without failing.

It is just that we the youths are damn ass lazy and complacent these days. We wait for jobs from other people's alraedy set up successful businesses and so called secure government jobs when we can easily be financially independent if we think outside the box.

Check well... In the so called government jobs, to even get salary is war and to get the pension and gratuities later on after retirement is another world war... So I rather start my own business now than work for any useless government agency that might mess me up later...

And lastly, use Seun Osewa - Nairaland CEO as a case study . There is serious money in a well handled business.

#RespectsSir
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Ssalk: 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
phayvoursky:
Goodday NLanders,

I and a friend had this lenghty discussion recently on the paths of our careers. Many ideas kept coming up in the course of our discussion.

I noticed all my friend was throwing at me was govt job and govt job. He talked on how secured and less busy govt workers at work cause he has a sister and his Dad who currently works and got retired in the same parastatal. Also talked about the benefits that follows after retirement and the ample time you have to control your private business (which i disagree on). He threw many juicy benefits about govt job and I began to give it a thought.

Now to me; I am a very business savvy guy. Nothing thrills me more than seeing a successful business man/woman or hearing a great business idea. I see youths and individuals into business doing exploits and they have all the time to their selves, call the shots and are not mentally lazy.

I picked a point from him where he said govt employees can control their business and still be in the govt system with other benefits.

Thanks.

pls do the needful

You can never compare private business and Government work. private business is far better but there is a catch. Like most people will say everybody is a business man but in actual sense everybody is not a business person.
You must have passion for the biz u wanna set up and makesure u don't let profit to be your top priority at the initial stage. As you move on u will be reaping the rewards. Like myself, when I resign from oil company then most people told me is home problem cos that were people dream to work. Within me I knew I will achieve more as a private person and I was very passionate about the biz I was about to do. Today after 14 years the rest is now history. I have achieved far more than even my friends who still work there till now. But private biz require hard work.

1 Like

Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by bencarson007(m): 9:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
phayvoursky:
Goodday NLanders,

Thanks.

pls do the needful

Your friends are either mentally lazy or are simply averse to risk taking.

Business is what this country thrives on and not some shitty civil service like we have now.

If you have balls to do business and it is viable,bro start one up. The truth is Dangote can't be compared to all the heads of all our government agencies put together because he is light years ahead of them. That's because he is a businessman...

I don't move with the thoughts of negative people. I take the bull by the horns and think outside the box. Business pays better.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by bencarson007(m): 9:48pm On Jul 30, 2017
Ssalk:

You can never compare private business and Government work. private business is far better but there is a catch. Like most people will say everybody is a business man but in actual sense everybody is not a business person.
You must have passion for the biz u wanna set up and makesure u don't let profit to be your top priority at the initial stage. As you move on u will be reaping the rewards. Like myself, when I resign from oil company then most people told me is home problem cos that were people dream to work. Within me I knew I will achieve more as a private person and I was very passionate about the biz I was about to do. Today after 14 years the rest is now history. I have achieved far more than even my friends who still work there till now. But private biz require hard work.

Bravo senior.
#Respects to the Chairman.
You spoke wisely
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Mouthgag: 11:42pm On Jul 30, 2017
MadCow1:
Stupid question..

A Government job is for mentally lazy people who want a job where are guaranteed they will never get fired (thanks to the unions) and where when they retire, they will keep enjoying a meagre pension.

Sadly those people die pretty frustrated and with nothing to leave their next of kin.

Frustrated after many trials? grin
Keep it going grin

Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by MadCow1: 1:26am On Jul 31, 2017
Mouthgag:

Frustrated after many trials? grin
Keep it going grin

Frustrated about what?

Getting a Government Job? grin

Even when I was looking for a Job, I don't even remember ever applying for any Government jobs.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Greyman11(m): 2:31am On Jul 31, 2017
MadCow1:
Stupid question..

i would like to know the personal businesses u have in mind,and going with the condition of the country,what makes you boldly think that all business men are better off than government workers.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 31, 2017
In a nut shell both are better depending on how you plan to become your own boss and pay yourself a regular life pension.
Come to think of it these ways;
You only need to having a regular savings from part of your monthly salaries.

My Advice for a Government workers is to invest in farming .

My Advice for a Private workers is to invest their savings into Business.

both of them will have a good living after they retired from work.

Note: Government Officials collected small salaries, while Private Workers collected huge salaries, remember the Government Workers have Salaries + Pension + Gratuity and the Private Workers have Salaries + Benefits + Opportunity of Business Ideals.
Save money and stop spending like a Corruption Politicians who will ends in Jail on earth or hell fire in hereafter.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Sulenyawo081: 5:44am On Jul 31, 2017
I don't know yet
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by robin11(m): 8:01am On Jul 31, 2017
i can help you start a business of owning your own betting website in a very low budget. Its moat profitable business one can ever own. Email me at shakuna37@gmail.com if you are interested in starting
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by MadCow1: 9:20am On Jul 31, 2017
Greyman11:

i would like to know the personal businesses u have in mind,and going with the condition of the country,what makes you boldly think that all business men are better off than government workers.

The post said "a successful business".

There is no substitute for that.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Jeremystalker: 9:26am On Jul 31, 2017
You know when you're doing a government job you still have time to run your business right? Meaning that when you're not getting the dividends of your business which isn't guaranteed,you have something to fall back to. At the same time you need to realize that every so often, you'd have to give your business at least 5 years for it to flourish. While waiting for the long run, you'd keep getting sustained by your government job. even during retirement, you still have a passive income flowing through. Hence, i think i'd consider the two lol. Correct me.

Check out this government job vacancy and tell me who wouldn't rush it. Even business addicts will go for it .

Massive Academic & Non-Academic Staff Recruitment at Landmark University. (13 job vacancies)
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by 400billionman: 10:22am On Jul 31, 2017
KellyBethy:

Good story.

Even those who earn big pay, like bankers, they have no time for themselves and hardly engage in outside business..

I worked for people and in 5 years my highest account balance was N1.5m but immediately I started working for myself I started seeing unbelievable account balances.

I was always wondering how business men were able to put together huge sums of money to build, buy and own properties, something an employee would hardly do.
Re: Advise: Government Job Vs Private Business Which Is Better? by Erums(m): 9:00pm On Jul 31, 2017
butanep:
wow... I am impressed. I am really inspired. please can I pm you so we can discuss.

Hello can ee discuss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Was Slapped By My Employer / Can You Work In A Place Where You Submit Your Phone Everyday? / How To Start A Presentation That Will Capture Your Audience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.